A tax protester who regained his sanity?

Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

A tax protester who regained his sanity?

Post by Famspear »

I just discovered this guy. Stephen Short, Jr. He says he was a tax protester, and is now warning people away from the tax protester nonsense:

http://iwasataxprotester.com/

I know absolutely nothing about him.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Re: A tax protester who regained his sanity?

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Famspear wrote:I just discovered this guy. Stephen Short, Jr. He says he was a tax protester, and is now warning people away from the tax protester nonsense:

http://iwasataxprotester.com/

I know absolutely nothing about him.
I've seen his videos on YouTube.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
jg
Fed Chairman of the Quatloosian Reserve

Post by jg »

He has an "Apology to the Judge" at http://iwasataxprotester.com/judgeletter.pdf
dated September 25,2007
He mentioned an attorney sympahtetic to to tax deniers, but does not state the name. WHo might that have been?
In the letter he says he will pay the back taxes. Has he been sentenced?

Just curious, thanks.
“Where there is an income tax, the just man will pay more and the unjust less on the same amount of income.” — Plato
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Chiropractor.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

jg wrote: He mentioned an attorney sympahtetic to to tax deniers, but does not state the name. WHo might that have been?
There's a name on the docket we keep seeing over and over...

Stephen J. Short, Jr. (1)
TERMINATED: 11/09/2007
represented by Jonathan F. Altman
Altman Law & Associates LLC
1500 E Lancaster Avenue
Suite 100
Paoli, PA 19301
US
TERMINATED: 08/15/2007
LEAD ATTORNEY
ATTORNEY TO BE NOTICED
Designation: Retained

David B. Rothman
Thornton & Rothman
200 S Biscayne Boulevard
Suite 2690
Miami, FL 33131
305-358-9000
Fax: 374-5747
Email: DBR@ThorntonRothmanLaw.com
ATTORNEY TO BE NOTICED

Richard Dean Kibbey
416 Camden Avenue
Stuart, FL 34994
561-286-0023
Fax: 221-8888
Email: kibbeyoffice@aol.com
TERMINATED: 08/15/2007
ATTORNEY TO BE NOTICED
In the letter he says he will pay the back taxes. Has he been sentenced?
Yes he has.
Defendant sentenced concurrent term of 11 months with 1 year supervised release to run concurrently; surrender NLT 2:00p.m. 1/2/08; Court recommends Coleman Barracks, Restitution $47,103.00(Paid in Full)$100.00 assessment.
When he gets out of prison this fall, perhaps we can offer him some support.
Demo.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

grixit wrote:Chiropractor.
With the amount of chiropractors being sucked into these tax scams, you'd think that an organization like the ACA (or similar) would put an article in a newsletter about it. But I somehow doubt they have.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Interesting...the name is familiar, but I hadn't ever been to his site. He got off rather well with only 11 months. Maybe he'll drop by here after he gets out. We have some people on here who could really help this guy out a lot with getting his life back on track.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

He's not Tommygun.
Demo.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

This looks like his Federal Bureau of Prisons entry:

http://www.bop.gov/iloc2/InmateFinderSe ... &x=23&y=21

Pensacola Federal Prison Camp (Saufley Field, Pensacola Naval Air Station). Scheduled to get out November 30, 2008.

I surely wish him and his family the best.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

CaptainKickback wrote:Sorry, I was not clear. Tommygun would be a good source of advice for the guy on how to get back on your feet, as a chiropractor, after having been a tax denier, as TG has been through that and come out into the sun again.

Mea culpa.
I quite agree!
Demo.
Weathervane

Post by Weathervane »

CaptainKickback wrote:
Imalawman wrote:Interesting...the name is familiar, but I hadn't ever been to his site. He got off rather well with only 11 months. Maybe he'll drop by here after he gets out. We have some people on here who could really help this guy out a lot with getting his life back on track.
Tommygun comes to mind.......
I thought my ears were getting warm.

Yeah, very sad. I should try and get ahold of him, maybe drag him over here for some support.
Will he have access to the web?

One thing good to say about us chiros...of all the TP's out there (that I've seen), excluding dear AFTP of course, we're the only two who've fully recanted that I know of.

Gotta run.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

We need his snail address.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

grixit wrote:We need his snail address.
STEPHEN J SHORT 75902-004
FPC PENSACOLA
FEDERAL PRISON CAMP
110 RABY AVE
PENSACOLA, FL 32509
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Weathervane

Post by Weathervane »

I think I'll drop him a line.

One thing I can tell you about reformed TP's, and that is we tend to get a "Clarice Starling" syndrome...we want to go out and save other "lambs" before they make a big mistake.
I therefore applaud him for his blog.

I have long thought about doing something similar, but I'm wayyy too busy, actually, and wayyy to analog. Plus, after trying in vain to talk sense to some Soooeys, I'm really not in the mood to argue with or catch crap from the die-hards anymore. eff them. During the appearances I've had to make before the Health Professions Board while my license was on probation, I always made it a point to make a brief statement to the gallery to, in no uncertain terms, avoid like the plague predatory un-tax shemes that prey on the gullible and patriotic, lest a similar fate befall them. And it always left me with a good feeling, maybe someone listened.

Webby mentioned getting ahold of the ACA, etc. I've thought of that too, and they usually run tax-advice collumns in their journals, but again, at this point I'm just too busy. Not to mention not wanting to draw attention...I had too many collegues tell me that I was going to get burned, and I don't want any reading an article by me saying "I told you so" ! Maybe I could write in anonamously.

As far as the strange attraction of chiropractors to tax-protesting, one must understand that the average chiropractor is by nature a boat-rocker. And in a way, that's a good thing.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Also, I guess we cannot read too much into the fact that some chiropractors, airline pilots, and dentists have gone "tax protester delusional". After all, look at the LAWYERS and CPAs that have also slurped the Kool-Aid. If anyone should know better, it's lawyers and CPAs.

In each of these cases, it's possibly a very small percentage of the total people in each category.

As someone licensed as both an attorney and a CPA, I cringe a little inside every time I see a reference to someone in either of these professions being caught up in the tax protester scams. Which brings us back to the point that you can be bright and well-educated -- and still be delusional or dishonest, or both.
Weathervane

Post by Weathervane »

I wrote the good doctor a nice letter telling him he's not the first chiropractor from Miami to drink the kool-aid.

I also told him about us here, as well a giving him my personal contact info, so let's see if we hear back.

Thanks for the address, Webby.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Tommygun, if he responds, please let him know that, if he can't afford the cost of his website / hosting over the next couple of years, I'd be happy to cover it. I'd like to see more stuff like that online.
Demo.
Weathervane

Post by Weathervane »

willdoo
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Stephen Short's web site (see earlier in this thread) appears to have been terminated.

He is still scheduled for release from prison on 30 November 2008.
Weathervane

Post by Weathervane »

Then the work begins...other than family and relationships, he'll need to re-instate his chiro license, start his practice over from scratch, and of course re-pay the back taxes he owes.

I definately don't envy his situation....BTDT