Kent Hovind Loses in the 11th

Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Kent Hovind Loses in the 11th

Post by Demosthenes »

Creation Scientist's Conviction on Tax Charges Upheld by 11th Circuit
Posted Dec. 31, 2008, 1:25 PM ET

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit, in an unpublished opinion issued Dec. 30, affirmed the conviction and sentence of noted creation science evangelist Kent Hovind—who operated a "young earth creationist theme park" in Florida—on charges of failing to collect and pay employment withholding taxes, obstructing tax laws, and structuring transactions to avoid financial reporting laws (United States v. Hovind, 11th Cir., No. 07-10090, 12/30/08).
The court also upheld the conviction and sentence of Hovind's wife, Jo, for structuring transactions to avoid reporting laws. Following a jury trial in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida that received national attention, the pair were found guilty in November 2006.
The jury found that $430,400 was involved in or traceable to the financial reporting crimes. It entered a special verdict against the Hovinds for the forfeiture of real and personal property attributable to the reporting crimes.
The ruling marks the second time the Hovinds have been before the 11th Circuit. In July 2007, the court found Kent waived his right to contest the amount of his tax liability in Tax Court by failing to raise that issue at an appropriate time in the administrative process.
Demo.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Re: Kent Hovind Loses in the 11th

Post by LPC »

Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
buck09
Quatloosian Baron of the Unknown Statute

Post by buck09 »

Demosthenes wrote:
Creation Scientist's Conviction on Tax Charges Upheld by 11th Circuit
Posted Dec. 31, 2008, 1:25 PM ET
They need to print a retraction for such an offensive headline. Hovind is as much a scientist as Pete Hendrickson is a legal scholar.
I’ll help them get more power at the Fed. - Ron Paul
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Au contraire :!:

Hovind possesses all the credentials of a fully-qualified creation scientist: an unquestioning belief in the literal, unerring word of God as published in the King James' Bible (and interpreted to suit his position).
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

Nikki wrote:Au contraire :!:

Hovind possesses all the credentials of a fully-qualified creation scientist: an unquestioning belief in the literal, unerring word of God as published in the King James' Bible (and interpreted to suit his position).
I don't believe Hovind actually believes the nonsense he perpetuates. Nothing but a huge scam. My educational background is in the natural sciences and I'm *lucky* enough to have a fair number of Christian fundamentalists in my family. I remember one Christmas at my parent's home where my sister was airing the Dr. Dino videos she gave her children for Christmas. It took a whole bunch of wherewithal, mixed with strong respect for keeping the peace in my parent's home at Christmas, to "let it slide".

Hovind's followers reveal an interesting mix of a wholesale lack of knowledge of science and history/law all tossed together in a big bowl of willful ignorance. This multi-factoral brand of foolishness stems from the same root of swallowing a big pack of lies from a source without any meaningful qualifications. Of course, we here understand that the accolytes are simply cabbaging on to what they want to believe, regardless of the veracity of the information given.