Clemency Process

Weathervane

Clemency Process

Post by Weathervane »

Hey Guys,
I'm begining the federal pardon process and was hoping I could count on some of my Quatloosian bretheren/sisteren to render assistance in the form of...

1. Tips and tricks, do's dont's in general
2. Filling out a Character Affidavit on my behalf

Anyone here who knows me well enough to vouch for me in writing, please zap me a PM with your email address, and I'll send you a PDF of the form. Once you get it, print it, fill it out and then you can send it to me at the address provided.

Many Thanks,
TG
Weathervane

Re: Clemency Process

Post by Weathervane »

Many thanks to those who have responded.

Personally, I would have thought more of my friends here would be willing to help.

Here's a personal reminder of what transpired in hopes that it may stir some of you who have known me here, and the hell that my life has been, into putting your name on a piece of paper telling the government that other than the offense for which I am seeking pardon, I have committed no other offenses.

In 1990 I got suckered in the Carolina Patriot Network run by Robert Clarkson. Being young and stupid and believing everything was above board, I stopped filing and paying from 1991-93 until I got a visit from IRS/CID.

After briefly applying further Clarkson evasion tactics to no avail, I sought outside legal counsel who informed me I screwed up. I imediately did the following...
1. Filed all overdue returns and started paying back what I could
2. Filed all current and future returns in a timely fashion
3. Completely disavowed the "patriot" movement and have since done my best to discourage others from taking the bait.

As the wheels kept turning, I was informed that despite my efforts at damage control, I was being charged with tax evasion. I knew I had done wrong, so instead of trying to "Cheek" my way out of it by pleading ignorance I plead guilty to one count of t.e.

In April 1998 the plea was accepted in federal court in Indianapolis and sentencing was handed down as follows:
1. 6 months home incarceration
2. 180 hours community service
3. 3 years probation
4. Restitution in the form of all back taxes plus interest and penalties

To date, all conditions have been met. From an original tax debt in the neighborhood of $45,000.00 , the final amount that was paid back to settle the delinquency once and for all was close to $300,000.00 , not counting personal legal and accounting fees. I owe a debt of gratitude to family members who have chipped in in the form of personal loans (and to whom I am still paying and will continue to pay back for several more years) and friends (including people here) who have provided moral support.

This misadventure has placed a tremendous burden on my financial, family and emotional life. I will never truly be over it and will continue to pay in other ways for the rest of my life. I am at this time asking the government for forgiveness in hopes of regaining some personal dignity as well as other practical rights such as voting and other professional licensure issues.

Any help from anyone here who feels comfortable enough, even though we have never met face to face, to state in writing that to the best of their knowledge I have not committed any other offenses other than the one for which I am seeking pardon (ok, I've had two speeding tickets) and have done my best to own up for what I did would be much appreciated, to say the least.

C'mon guys...Make me feel like George Bailey.
Evil Squirrel Overlord
Emperor of rodents, foreign and domestic

Post by Evil Squirrel Overlord »

I wish I had the knowledge and resources to help, but my bungling would get you into even more trouble. Do you have a lawyer?
Are you saying that Ron Paul serves as a convenient chew toy to keep stupid puppies occupied so they don't roll in the garbage? -grixit
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Relax Tommygun. You only posted your request yesterday afternoon, and some people only read Quatloos at work.
Demo.
Weathervane

Post by Weathervane »

Thanks ESO,
I have some family who practice law and I'm taking advice from them as far as how to present the petition to the President. The process looks pretty straightforward, so I don't think I need to hire someone, per se.

Of course, there's firms out there who say they help, but I don't think formal representation is called for.

If anyone knows otherwise, please chime in.
Weathervane

Post by Weathervane »

Demosthenes wrote:Relax Tommygun. You only posted your request yesterday afternoon, and some people only read Quatloos at work.
Chill-pill taken, as directed.
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

Evil Squirrel Overlord wrote:I wish I had the knowledge and resources to help, but my bungling would get you into even more trouble. Do you have a lawyer?
Ditto. I'm sure many of those Quatloosians "in the know" will have the advice you seek. Best of luck to you!
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

tommygun wrote:Thanks ESO,
I have some family who practice law and I'm taking advice from them as far as how to present the petition to the President. The process looks pretty straightforward, so I don't think I need to hire someone, per se.

Of course, there's firms out there who say they help, but I don't think formal representation is called for.

If anyone knows otherwise, please chime in.
You should at least talk to a specialized attorney. Like any DC game, there is likely to be considerable legal and political strategy involved. Stuff like timing your request should be considered. Obviously, you aren't aiming for a Bush pardon, and your request should be tailored to both the Obama administration US pardon attorney's and the attorney general's biases. Also, that whole tax denier/pro se image should probably be avoided like the plague when dealing with the DOJ.
Demo.
Weathervane

Post by Weathervane »

Any recomendations?
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

While I admire your return to tax reality, I am dumbfounded by the fact that you think anyone here who doesn't know and deal with you personally could possibly be of any assistance whatsoever to you.

Why on Earth would anyone in a postion requiring them to have a reasonable basis for arriving at a conclusion about facts place any weight on anything someone who merely "knows" you on-line has to say one way or another?

The mind boggles.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

tommygun wrote:Any recomendations?
I'll see what I can find.

BTW, for those of you on the fence, the Character Affidavit is a one-page form and half of that is for your name and address.

All the form needs (or has room for) is two or three sentences in which you attest that the applicant, to your knowledge, has acted in a moral and law abiding manner.
Demo.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

What Demo said above. The process is at least as much political as it is legal. If your Congressional representative is "in tune" with the incoming administration and/or the DOJ, that may be a useful path.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

. wrote:While I admire your return to tax reality, I am dumbfounded by the fact that you think anyone here who doesn't know and deal with you personally could possibly be of any assistance whatsoever to you.

Why on Earth would anyone in a postion requiring them to have a reasonable basis for arriving at a conclusion about facts place any weight on anything someone who merely "knows" you on-line has to say one way or another?

The mind boggles.
I'm guessing that "." is declining your request.
Demo.
Weathervane

Post by Weathervane »

. wrote:While I admire your return to tax reality, I am dumbfounded by the fact that you think anyone here who doesn't know and deal with you personally could possibly be of any assistance whatsoever to you.

The mind boggles.
Here . , let me un-boggle your mind for you.

A few months ago, I mentioned that I would be attempting to seek a pardon and several people here, who I have come to count as friends, offered me their unsolicited assistance in the form of promises like "If there's anything I can do to help, just let me know!"

So, I'm letting them know. And now you know. Happy?
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

I would attest to your good character, civility, etc. Tommy Gun, you look to be a clean-shaven young man with a bright future. You should be able to get individuals in addition to your probation officer and psychologist to vouch for your honesty and good character. I, too, was confused about my responsibilities as a citizen. When I was young, I read various positive thinking essays, like "Acres of Diamonds", "As a Man Thinketh", Andrew Carnegie's inspiring story and how "American Steal Corporation" became a great institution. I dreamed that one day I might be so fortunate to live in a luxurious mansion. One day the dream was realized when I found myself living high up in an enormous grey edifice. Out of the windows I was able to observe my fellows parading below. :wink:
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

That's nice. But, it doesn't address my point and un-boggles nothing.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

While I can be of no practical help in the matter, I will wish you the best of luck and add my best wishes and encouragement in your efforts.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Weathervane

Post by Weathervane »

notorial dissent wrote:While I can be of no practical help in the matter, I will wish you the best of luck and add my best wishes and encouragement in your efforts.
Thanks ND,

As it turns out, the more I look into the matter, its going to be a wee bit more involved than filling out the form and having as many people as possible say nice things about me. This isn't exactly a job or apartment application.

From what I've found out, this will trigger an automatic FBI investigation into my personal life, etc. so I'm not even sure if I want to pursue one now! Not to mention more legal fees.

But I left a message for an attorney to call me, and as I'm sure has happened in the past...I'll get an education.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Have you volunteered with any community programs, or otherwise gained some local recognition? If so, i'd start there.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Weathervane

Post by Weathervane »

grixit wrote:Have you volunteered with any community programs, or otherwise gained some local recognition? If so, i'd start there.
I won the 38th annual greased-ostrich catching contest at the 4H fair last year, does that count?