"How you become liable..." (to § 6702 ?)

jg
Fed Chairman of the Quatloosian Reserve

"How you become liable..." (to § 6702 ?)

Post by jg »

As seen at http://www.losthorizons.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1278 a site entitled "How you become liable..." says in part:
"I'm not very good at understanding these things..." That's why we reduced the basic facts to a quiz. We'll take you one step at a time. You read each question and give the answer you think is best. Guess if you don't know! Then see the correct answer and the reason why it is correct. Instant feedback--that's the best way to learn.

"Well, this might be your opinion, but..."
Everything here is based on the tax laws and the Constitution. No opinions, just facts. Along the way we'll give you some excerpts from the law and Supreme Court decisions. You're not going to argue with the Supreme Court, are you?

So what are you waiting for? The truth is a click away...
Okay, let's play.
Question 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first thing about the 'income tax' to get straight is what is being taxed.
The subject of the income tax (the thing upon which the tax is laid) is:
A) The income itself
B) The person receiving the income
C) The activity that produced the income
Of course, having read Section 1 of Title 26 (which says "There is hereby imposed on the taxable income of—" I chose "A) The income itself" as the best of the three choices given.
We all know it is "taxable income" on which the tax is imposed (IF WE CAN READ THE STATUTE), so the correct answer is not even listed as an answer.

The reply on the site following my response was:
Question 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INCORRECT
The subject of the income tax (the thing upon which the tax is laid) is:
Correct answer:

C) The activity that produced the income

Discussion:

The income tax is an excise tax, a type of indirect tax, which means that it is not levied directly on persons or property (one's earnings are property). The tax is actually levied on the activity which produces the income:
"A tax laid upon the happening of an event, as distinguished from its tangible fruits, is an indirect tax.." (Tyler v. U.S., 281 U.S. 497) (1930)
"The income tax is, therefore, not a tax on income [earnings] as such. It is an excise tax with respect to certain activities and privileges which is measured by reference to the income which they produce. The income is not the subject of the tax: it is the basis for determining the amount of tax." (F. Morse Hubbard, Treasury Department legislative draftsman. House Congressional Record March 27th 1943, page 2580.)
So income is used to compute the tax, but it is not the subject of the tax. This turns out to be very important.

Note the use of the word 'privilege'. We will come back to it.
That does not provide any support for claiming "The subject of the income tax (the thing upon which the tax is laid) is: C) The activity that produced the income"
It is just an opinion. No legal basis for the argument given. None at all. Just a description of an indirect tax and a quote from a legislative draftsman that has absolutely no legal authority. Frivolous fluff.

The unfortuante part is that the site will likely live up to the name "How you become liable..." because it will certainly provide a means for some to get sucked into the frivolity and become liable for a $5,000 penalty for frivolous filing. [See US CODE: TITLE 26,6702. FRIVOLOUS INCOME TAX RETURN]

Beware those that claim you do not have to file or pay income taxes!
“Where there is an income tax, the just man will pay more and the unjust less on the same amount of income.” — Plato
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Re: "How you become liable..." (to § 6702 ?)

Post by LPC »

I tried the "quiz", but didn't get very far because:

1. I got one answer "correct" (which scared me) and

2. The quiz got obsessed with the tax act of 1863, which I really wasn't going to waste my time on.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Post by The Operative »

LPC wrote:I tried the "quiz", but didn't get very far because:

1. I got one answer "correct" (which scared me) and

2. The quiz got obsessed with the tax act of 1863, which I really wasn't going to waste my time on.
Same here. I got the answer to #2 'correct' and then the next five questions were about the tax act of 1862.
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

hahaha, that is hilarious stuff right there. Man, made my day.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

In a serious vein, 26 USC §6702 is the provision imposing penalties on frivolous tax returns. A tax return is generally regarded as frivolous if it fails to provide the information sought by the IRS, which generally is sufficient information about the taxpayer's financial situation to calculate his tax liability and to check the taxpayer's self-assessment. Fifth Amendment returns, Zero returns, returns which fail to answer crucial questions, returns which are not signed under the jurat provided, etc. are considered frivolous.
jg
Fed Chairman of the Quatloosian Reserve

Post by jg »

“Where there is an income tax, the just man will pay more and the unjust less on the same amount of income.” — Plato
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

fortinbras wrote:In a serious vein, 26 USC §6702 is the provision imposing penalties on frivolous tax returns. A tax return is generally regarded as frivolous if it fails to provide the information sought by the IRS, which generally is sufficient information about the taxpayer's financial situation to calculate his tax liability and to check the taxpayer's self-assessment. Fifth Amendment returns, Zero returns, returns which fail to answer crucial questions, returns which are not signed under the jurat provided, etc. are considered frivolous.
Polite - "woooosh"
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
LOBO

Post by LOBO »

I answered 5 ouf of 15 "correctly" because the letter I randomly pressed happened to be the "right" one even though all the answers were obviously wrong. (Mostly true/false questions)

For example...
If one wants to learn more about the law behind the income tax, the cleverly written regulations that obscure the truth, and the complicity of the courts in allowing the tax to be applied where not called for in the law, one should look in which book:
A) The Great Income Tax Hoax: Why You Can Immediately Stop Paying This Illegally Enforced Tax by Irwin Schiff.
B) The Best Kept Secret, Taxpayer vs. Nontaxpayer by Otto Skinner.
C) Cracking the Code, The Fascinating Truth About Taxation In America by Peter Hendrickson.
D) Your Money or Your Life: Why We Must Abolish the Income Tax by Sheldon Richman.
E) Tyranny Busters: The Sham and Shame of the Federal Income Tax by Michael Benoit.
I couldn't find any mention on the site about Hendrickson's upcoming trial.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

LOBO wrote:I couldn't find any mention on the site about Hendrickson's upcoming trial.
Speaking of which, user Richardf614 at lost horizons has just begun a new thread in the forum for that site, entitled "Pete's case," with this entry:
I believe Pete's case started Jan 13th is this correct? Has anyone heard anything in relation to it?
http://www.losthorizons.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1297

Of course, the trial date was re-set many weeks ago. For someone who is supposed to revere the ground that Blowhard Hendrickson walks on, Richard hasn't been paying very close attention.

He should read Quatloos more often.

EDIT: User "gdude" responds with:
No, but I was wondering the same thing. How long is the trial predicted to last?
Hey, fellas, the trial date was changed over six weeks ago. What's the matter, is the PeterEricBlowhardMeister not keepin' ya up to date?
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

User "TruthBearer" has finally enlightened them on the trial date, with a quotation -- apparently copied and pasted from Dan's Tax Protester Dossiers web site. (I say "apparently" as "TruthBearer" does not cite the source.)
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

They probably can't bear to tell the truth.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

grixit wrote:They probably can't bear to tell the truth.
Nor could they tell the truth to a bear.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff