New one on me.

Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

New one on me.

Post by Imalawman »

So, I was getting my hair cut today and my new barber (second time I've been to him) asked me if I was aware of any claims that the IRS was illegal. I chuckled and said, "yeah, I've just about heard 'em all". He said that he was told by a friend of his that the IRS was formed to build a road from the east coast to the west coast and that it was to be abolished when it was finished. Since, of course, the roadway is now complete the IRS is illegally in operation. There were some more details, but that was the gist.

I was stunned. I have never heard of this, or at least I don't remember hearing about this. He said that there is a "lawyer" that goes around offering to de-tax people based on this theory. Has anyone heard anything about this theory?
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Re: New one on me.

Post by Demosthenes »

Cool.

Something new.
Demo.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

Never heard of that one. There are so many of these ill-informed people out there, why not dispell the myths for once by having a three pronged, iron-clad solution. Have a free 24 hour information line staffed with personel to answer all questions. Have the US president deliver a prime-time dissertation on the legality of the tax laws. Take a get-tough approach to non-compliance, first with the illegals and then with the legal residents. They want to be non-resident aliens, they want to rescind their social security numbers. Fine. Give them the same legal status as the illegal aliens.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
RyanMcC

Post by RyanMcC »

The Lincoln Highway was the first coast-to-coast interstate built in 1913, mabye there is some connection.

Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Imalawman wrote:So, I was getting my hair cut today and my new barber (second time I've been to him) asked me if I was aware of any claims that the IRS was illegal. I chuckled and said, "yeah, I've just about heard 'em all". He said that he was told by a friend of his that the IRS was formed to build a road from the east coast to the west coast and that it was to be abolished when it was finished. Since, of course, the roadway is now complete the IRS is illegally in operation. There were some more details, but that was the gist.

I was stunned. I have never heard of this, or at least I don't remember hearing about this. He said that there is a "lawyer" that goes around offering to de-tax people based on this theory. Has anyone heard anything about this theory?
Out of curiosity, how old is your barber and/or his friend?
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Imalawman wrote:So, I was getting my hair cut today and my new barber (second time I've been to him) asked me if I was aware of any claims that the IRS was illegal. I chuckled and said, "yeah, I've just about heard 'em all". He said that he was told by a friend of his that the IRS was formed to build a road from the east coast to the west coast and that it was to be abolished when it was finished. Since, of course, the roadway is now complete the IRS is illegally in operation. There were some more details, but that was the gist.

Out of curiosity, how old is your barber and/or his friend?
hmm, I don't know, but I would guess 25-30? His friend, no clue, get the impression that he's a little older.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Paul

Post by Paul »

The Lincoln Highway was the first coast-to-coast interstate built in 1913, mabye there is some connection.
How does that tie in with your [pre]-war communist conspiracy, Mandrake?
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

They've obviously just confused the IRS (Internal Revenue Service) with the IHS (Interstate Highway System).

A natural mistake.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

A few hundred hours of community service should clear up the confusion.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4