Domestic production activities deduction?

Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Domestic production activities deduction?

Post by Quixote »

Twice in the last week I have run across a reference by TPs to the domestic production activities deduction (DPAD), line 35 of Form 1040. The TP take on the DPAD seems to be "I produced income from domestic activities, so I get to deduct it."

One of the TPs pushing the theory thinks users of it will avoid a 6702 penalty because misrepresentation of the DPAD is not a specified frivolous position. I suspect he is wrong. The IRS and the courts will probably see it as a variation on "my wages aren't taxable."
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Nikki

Re: Domestic production activities deduction?

Post by Nikki »

Quixote wrote:... users of it will avoid a 6702 penalty ...
But there's always the significant underpayment penalty, penalty (civil plus criminal if DoJ's interested) for fraud, and several others.

Depending on the amount at issue, they could add up to more than the $5,000 friv. penalty.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Nikki wrote:
Quixote wrote:... users of it will avoid a 6702 penalty ...
But there's always the significant underpayment penalty, penalty (civil plus criminal if DoJ's interested) for fraud, and several others.

Depending on the amount at issue, they could add up to more than the $5,000 friv. penalty.
Aha! But if they DO avoid the Friv Penalty, it's still a VICTORY!
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I suspect the idiots are misreading the 8903 as allowing you to deduct 50% of your wages. That might be why Duplo over on LH (linked in another thread) claims that the 8903 is contrary to law, but the IRS still accepts it, and that you're cheating yourself by using it -- the "truth" is that you aren't taxable on your wages, and can deduct or exclude 100%, and the IRS is laughing at you and taking your money when you fill out the 8903 and only deduct 50%.

But I don't feel like browing LH for 10 hours to find out what his real explanation is, when the few posts I have read show he is severely brain damaged.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

I feel pretty strongly that Duplox-Stupo is in fact Richard614, or at least one of the voices in his head.
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Well, look at it this way, they can combine the Domestic production Activity deduction with the Transmitting Utilities thing some of them are stuck on, and have a twofer sure fire cure to taxes.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

From the site http://www.taxes.about.com, here is some helpful information:

Qualified Production Activities

A business engaged in the following lines of business may qualify for the Domestic Production Activities Deduction. These are the "qualified production activities" eligible for claiming the deduction under Internal Revenue Code Section 199:

Manufacturing based in the United States,
Selling, leasing, or licensing items that have been manufactured in the United States,
Selling, leasing, or licensing motion pictures that have been produced in the United States,
Construction services in the United States, including building and renovation of residential and commercial properties,
Engineering and architectural services relating to a US-based construction project,
Software development in the United States, including the development of video games.

Now, why I am I not surprised that the TPers have misread yet another provision of the tax laws?
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:From the site http://www.taxes.about.com, here is some helpful information:

A business engaged in the following lines of business may qualify for the Domestic Production Activities Deduction. These are the "qualified production activities" eligible for claiming the deduction under Internal Revenue Code Section 199:

Selling, leasing, or licensing items that have been manufactured in the United States,
Selling, leasing, or licensing motion pictures that have been produced in the United States,
Construction services in the United States, including building and renovation of residential and commercial properties,
Engineering and architectural services relating to a US-based construction project,
Software development in the United States, including the development of video games.

Now, why I am I not surprised that the TPers have misread yet another provision of the tax laws?
Something tells me they're not going to able to understand how to calculate the DPAD correctly, even assuming wages qualified. Its like giving Godel, Escher, Bach to a kindergarten student and asking him to write a 20 page report on it.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Kimokeo

Post by Kimokeo »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:

Engineering and architectural services relating to a US-based pool cleaning project,
Software development in the United States, including the playing of video games.

Misread? I think you need to go back over it again.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Kimokeo wrote:Pottapaug1938 wrote:

Engineering and architectural services relating to a US-based pool cleaning project,
Software development in the United States, including the playing of video games.

I did, and I stand by my words. Unless I am involved in a business based in the United States, and I spend company money on one of the listed activities this section does not apply to me.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:
Kimokeo wrote:Pottapaug1938 wrote:

I did, and I stand by my words. Unless I am involved in a business based in the United States, and I spend company money on one of the listed activities this section does not apply to me.
:roll:
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Duke2Earl
Eighth Operator of the Delusional Mooloo

Post by Duke2Earl »

Just wait until they get to the regs under section 199. Even assuming this section applied to these wackos (which, surprise surprise, it doesn't) the deduction is at most 6% of qualified income (for 2009).... hardly a magic bullet.
My choice early in life was to either be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politican. And to tell the truth there's hardly any difference.

Harry S Truman
Paul

Post by Paul »

All of these posts on Section 199 are true (except for certain deliberate snark by Quixote), but a quick (mis)reading of the 8903 clearly shows you can deduct 50% of your wages! And don't the TPs always follow the form, regardless of the statutes?
Duke2Earl
Eighth Operator of the Delusional Mooloo

Post by Duke2Earl »

The 50% of wages is misleading. Actually, it's a limitation in that if you are an EMPLOYER you cannot deduct an amount in excess of 50% of the wages YOU PAY even if 6% of your domestic production income is greater than that.
My choice early in life was to either be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politican. And to tell the truth there's hardly any difference.

Harry S Truman
Randall
Warden of the Quatloosian Sane Asylum
Location: The Deep South, so deep I'm almost in Rhode Island.

Post by Randall »

Isn't the deduction limited to 6% of QPAI (taxable income)?
What TPer admits to having taxable income?
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hey, we're trying to guess the argument of a person who can't read or think, and has no knowledge of law, history, economics or much of anything else, and won't even try to explain it to us. Might as well try to guess what the next word out of Van Pelt's word salad shooter is going to be.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Paul wrote:Hey, we're trying to guess the argument of a person who can't read or think, and has no knowledge of law, history, economics or much of anything else, and won't even try to explain it to us. Might as well try to guess what the next word out of Van Pelt's word salad shooter is going to be.
sitting on a cornflake, waiting on the van to come....

goo goo ka choo