So Frivolous Not Even Worth Discussing

Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Re: So Frivolous Not Even Worth Discussing

Post by Demosthenes »

UGA Lawdog wrote:"Unlicensed" lawyers? Do you mean unlicensed laypeople, or disbarred former lawyers?
Judging from the trust mills I've seen, the documents are usually drafted by insurance salesman.
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

UGA Lawdog wrote:Drafting or executing documents which secure a legal right fall under the definition of UPL in my state. Other state definitions, of course, may vary.
A law that is very rarely enforced.
Demo.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

UGA Lawdog wrote:Again, that varies from state to state. Our state bar has a whole section devoted to combatting UPL. Their website has a whole list of people and entities that have been hit with cease and desist orders, injunctions, etc. UPL is also a misdemeanor crime here.
So, is LegalZoom illegal in your state?
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Arthur Rubin wrote:
UGA Lawdog wrote:Again, that varies from state to state. Our state bar has a whole section devoted to combatting UPL. Their website has a whole list of people and entities that have been hit with cease and desist orders, injunctions, etc. UPL is also a misdemeanor crime here.
Oh, the messes I've had to clean up because of LegalZoom....(and the tax settlement hucksters)
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Arthur Rubin wrote:
http://www.legalzoom.com/wills-state-re ... -will.html
Demo.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Imalawman wrote:
Arthur Rubin wrote:So, is LegalZoom illegal in your state?
Oh, the messes I've had to clean up because of LegalZoom....(and the tax settlement hucksters)
I don't doubt it. However, the question still stands -- is LegalZoom illegal in Lawdog's state? Not "Should LegalZoom be illegal?"
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

UGA Lawdog wrote:Hmmm, good question. Well, to begin with, here is how our legislature has chosen to define the practice of law:
O.C.G.A. 15-19-50 Practice of law defined.

The practice of law in this state is defined as:

(1) Representing litigants in court and preparing pleadings and other papers incident to any action or special proceedings in any court or other judicial body;

(2) Conveyancing;

(3) The preparation of legal instruments of all kinds whereby a legal right is secured;

(4) The rendering of opinions as to the validity or invalidity of titles to real or personal property;

(5) The giving of any legal advice; and

(6) Any action taken for others in any matter connected with the law.
LegalZoom might be running afoul of subsection (3), certainly, if not others as well. But I was under the impression that LegalZoom was started by lawyers like Robert Shapiro, so maybe if their Georgia documents are drafted by Georgia-licensed lawyers they would be ok? I notice also that LegalZoom has a "this is not legal advice" disclaimer, just like those "Do It Yourself" lawyer kits you can find in office supply stores.

But I have no idea whether the State Bar is looking at LegalZoom for UPL. Are you suggesting I report them? 8)
Most states, including Texas, have established guidelines/requirements for LegaZoom, NOLO Press, etc., often, as is the case of Texas, after litigation with these providers.

Prof is a member of the San Antonio area UPL Committee of the State Bar of Texas.
"My Health is Better in November."
Evil Squirrel Overlord
Emperor of rodents, foreign and domestic

Post by Evil Squirrel Overlord »

We have pretty easy probate here and I only used a lawyer ($1000) to oversee the filing of the correct paperwork I could have done myself. All other direct costs made the total about $2000. (minus disposing of real estate) I suspect had the estate been more than $3 million it would have been very complex.

I nearly killed the heirs. Not for their share of probate, but the crappy bickering over items like the weird boxes of half-assembled Teddy Ruxpins found in the basement. What were my parents doing with those?????
Are you saying that Ron Paul serves as a convenient chew toy to keep stupid puppies occupied so they don't roll in the garbage? -grixit
Evil Squirrel Overlord
Emperor of rodents, foreign and domestic

Post by Evil Squirrel Overlord »

Perfectly good keyboard ruined.

I hope the new Star Trek timeline includes Harry Mudd.
Are you saying that Ron Paul serves as a convenient chew toy to keep stupid puppies occupied so they don't roll in the garbage? -grixit
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

[quote="Quixote"][quote="Pottapaug1938"]And another "pro se" litigant goes down in flames.

In an unrelated matter, one of the candidates in today's mayoral primary in Quincy, Mass. (and who is given a hair above zero chance to make it into the final election), filed suit against the city alleging that he was unfairly denied a promotion. The U.S. District Court, in Boston, turned down his lawsuit, stating that this was “because the stream-of-consciousness style of the allegations and because the incoherent mix of law and fact failed to comply with federal pleading requirements.”

I could say the same about so many TP/TDer pro se lawsuits.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Evil Squirrel Overlord wrote:Perfectly good keyboard ruined.

I hope the new Star Trek timeline includes Harry Mudd.
[Station rec room. Sulu and Chekov are fussing over a slate. Scotty enters. Chekov hurriedly moves to hide the slate.]

Scotty: Did you get that mangy peddler off the station?

Chekov: what? Um, er--

Sulu: Yes. We put him on on a slow freighter to the new mining colonies. He won't be bothering civilization for a long time!

Scotty: Good, cause there's a rumor he had some bootleg data crystals of "Andorians Gone Wild 4"-- Chekov, what's that behind your back?

Chekov: It's nothing, we were just doing some, er, calculations.

Sulu: (look of alarm)

Scotty: Calculations? Let me see! (grabs the slate)

Chekov: (look of chagrin, realizing he said the wrong thing) We didn't mean, i mean we had to be sure.

Scotty: Are you telling me that the two of you--

Sulu: And what if we did?

Scotty: Well, laddie, then you'd better not let the captain find out-- he's in this one!

Chekov: In this one?

Scotty: Aye. He was a little drunk, she was a little friendly. He was too busy wonderin if it's true what they say about those antennas. And the bloody fool forgot to check for a hidden holocorder!

Chekov: Well it doesn't matter anyway, we can't get it to display.

Scotty: Och, gentlemen, can't break a little 4 gig encryption code manually? (rapid finger movements) there you go, you depraved voyeurs!

[Cheesy music starts.]

Sulu: Mister Scott, we owe you one!

Scotty: Aye. Make it green.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4