Clarkson Client Catastrophe in Circuit Court

The Observer
Further Moderator

Clarkson Client Catastrophe in Circuit Court

Post by The Observer »

In a unusally terse opinion, which I interpret to mean that the courts do not want to spend any more time on TP nonsense than they have to, the 4th Circuit tosses out another frivolous appeal:
THOMAS WANE MARETT,
Petitioner - Appellant,
v.
COMMISSIONER OF INTERNAL REVENUE,
Respondent - Appellee.

Release Date: OCTOBER 02, 2009

UNPUBLISHED

UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS
FOR THE FOURTH CIRCUIT

No. 09-1463

Appeal from the United States Tax Court. (Tax Court No. 06-4048)

Submitted: September 29, 2009

Decided: October 2, 2009

Before NIEMEYER, MICHAEL, and MOTZ, Circuit Judges.

Affirmed by unpublished per curiam opinion.

Thomas Wane Marett, Appellant Pro Se. John DiCicco, Richard
Farber, Andrew Weiner, UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF
JUSTICE, Washington, D.C.; Clarissa C. Potter,
INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE,
Washington, D.C., for Appellee.

Unpublished opinions are not binding precedent in this circuit.

PER CURIAM:

Thomas Wane Marett appeals from the tax court's orders imposing sanctions, upholding the Commissioner's proposed collection activities with respect to his tax liability for the 2000 tax year, and denying his motion for reconsideration. We have reviewed the record and find no reversible error. Accordingly, we affirm for the reasons stated by the tax court. See Marett v. Comm'r, IRS, Tax Ct. No. 06-4048 (U.S.T.C. Jan 22, 2009; entered Feb. 25 & filed Feb. 26, 2009). We dispense with oral argument because the facts and legal contentions are adequately presented in the materials before the court and argument would not aid the decisional process.

AFFIRMED
It turns out that the original tax court case involved our good friend, Dr. Clarkson. Some key moments from that case:

Upon remand, the case was assigned to Appeals Settlement Officer Pat McCall (Settlement Officer McCall), an impartial officer with no previous involvement with the unpaid taxes. On September 6, 2006, Settlement Officer McCall held a face-to-face hearing with petitioner. Petitioner appeared for the conference with Robert Clarkson (Mr. Clarkson), his alleged "representative", and three other individuals (two alleged expert witnesses who were "to testify and prove [petitioner's] case" and an "assistant"). Mr. Clarkson insisted that all four individuals be allowed in the hearing with petitioner but was repeatedly advised that petitioner could bring only two individuals into the conference. Ultimately, petitioner selected Mr. Clarkson and a second unnamed individual who operated a tape recorder to accompany petitioner into the hearing room.
/5/ Mr. Clarkson was also advised on several occasions that he was not permitted to represent petitioner, but he continued to speak, offering only frivolous taxpayer arguments. We note that Settlement Officer McCall did not abuse her discretion in refusing to allow Mr. Clarkson to represent petitioner, as Mr. Clarkson offered no proof that he was an attorney in good standing, a certified public accountant, or an enrolled agent in good standing. See Young v. Comm'r, T.C. Memo 2003-6 (third party was not entitled to represent taxpayer in a sec. 6330 hearing because of noncompliance with Circular No. 230).

Mr. Clarkson was removed from the courtroom during the Mar. 17, 2008, trial session of the Court in Columbia, South Carolina, pursuant to an order of the Court.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: Clarkson Client Catastrophe in Circuit Court

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

And yet another pro se TP/TD litigant goes down in flames....
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Money well spent on another brilliant "Clarkson Defense".
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

BTW - Clarkson's website is markedly more subdued in tone and is closer to compliance with the court orders. Interesting...

How did all those drug charges turn out?
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Post by The Operative »

WHAT!?! No sanctions for bringing a frivolous appeal? It's another Clarkson victory. :roll:
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

The Operative wrote:WHAT!?! No sanctions for bringing a frivolous appeal? It's another Clarkson victory. :roll:
Perhaps the mental image of Clarkson being tossed out of Tax Court in his superhero costume was so hilarious that the judges forgot the frivpen option.

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

The Observer wrote:
The Operative wrote:WHAT!?! No sanctions for bringing a frivolous appeal? It's another Clarkson victory. :roll:
Perhaps the mental image of Clarkson being tossed out of Tax Court in his superhero costume was so hilarious that the judges forgot the frivpen option.
I'll bet you 10,000 Quatloos that, when judges get together for meetings, conventions or whatever, they have "social hours" at which stories like this have Their Honors rolling on the floor, laughing helplessly.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

The Observer wrote:
You think security tested his ability to fly?
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

The Observer wrote:
Mr. Clarkson was removed from the courtroom during the Mar. 17, 2008, trial session of the Court in Columbia, South Carolina, pursuant to an order of the Court.
South Carolina courtrooms are apparently equipped with forklifts.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Blup

Post by Blup »

aw, and I like it when judges rip the shit out of frivolous arguments. :(
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

grixit wrote:
The Observer wrote:
If they did, the next comment from the security guard might have been "Hmmm, never seen a red pancake before."

Paul

Post by Paul »

"Hmmmmm . . . the glide angle of a brick."
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:
The Observer wrote:
I'll bet you 10,000 Quatloos that, when judges get together for meetings, conventions or whatever, they have "social hours" at which stories like this have Their Honors rolling on the floor, laughing helplessly.
I witnessed a Constitutionalist friend in St. Johnsbury, Vermont, who, testing the mettle and patience of the presiding judges on "right to drive" unlicensed, uninsured vehicles, was the laughingstock of the court. I asked where my friend Steve King's hearing was, the clerk's face showed a wide grin--and in the hearing the judges showed amusement over his state constitutional arguments. It didn't prevent them from sending Steve back to either solitary or other cell.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)