Hendrickson's Motion to Dismiss Indictment Denied

Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Hendrickson's Motion to Dismiss Indictment Denied

Post by Dezcad »

The Opinion and Order Denying Defendants' Motion to Dismiss Indictment has finally been entered by the Court in PH's criminal case . This is the result of the hearing on the Motion which was previously held on May 14, 2009.

It is a good read. IMO.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Re: Hendrickson's Motion to Dismiss Indictment Denied

Post by Dr. Caligari »

When will we see this posted on Lost Horizons?
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Dr. Caligari wrote:When will we see this posted on Lost Horizons?
As soon as Petey-boy manages to concoct a way to spin this into a "victory". I'm guessing that he'll use the "the Court ruled against me because they were afraid of the consequences of ruling in my favor, like they knew that they should do" page from his playbook. :roll:
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:As soon as Petey-boy manages to concoct a way to spin this into a "victory". I'm guessing that he'll use the "the Court ruled against me because they were afraid of the consequences of ruling in my favor, like they knew that they should do" page from his playbook.
Before or after his appeal on the denial of the motion?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
jg
Fed Chairman of the Quatloosian Reserve

Post by jg »

Thanks be that the court took the time to dispose of Pete's arguments (or at least to brand them as without merit) and to expose the bare assertions that he made in the motions.

However when the court stated:
Under these circumstances, the Government could permissibly conclude that the prosecution of Defendant would serve as an effective deterrent to those who might be inclined to apply his analysis to their own tax filings, and that this might staunch the flow of more widespread, but potentially harder to detect, submission of “zero wage” tax forms by readers of Cracking the Code. See Kelley, supra, 769 F.2d at 218.
there was not any recognition of the persistent willful ignorance of "those who might be inclined to apply his analysis to their own tax filings" to the extent that those may include the "CtC educated", as that term is applied by Pete's followers .
“Where there is an income tax, the just man will pay more and the unjust less on the same amount of income.” — Plato
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

He can't appeal it until and unless he's convicted and sentenced.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

Dr. Caligari wrote:
He can't appeal it until and unless he's convicted and sentenced.
That sentence has two unnecessary words. :wink:
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

I've been waiting a long time for this ruling.

After skimming the text, I conclude that it was worth the wait.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

Ruh-roh! So much for "includes."
While Defendant states as ipse dixit that it is “unambiguously clear” and “immediately apparent” that §7343 is intended to limit, and not supplement, the definition of “person” set forth at §7701(a)(1), (Defendant’s 5/7/2009 Motion to Dismiss, Br. in Support at 4-5), the most natural reading of these two definitions suggests otherwise.
Red Cedar PM
Burnished Vanquisher of the Kooloohs

Post by Red Cedar PM »

Does anyone think Pete can still plea bargain at this point, with the trial less than 2 weeks away? Or would the prosecution not even make an offer?
"Pride cometh before thy fall."

--Dantonio 11:03:07
Grixit wrote:Hey Diller: forget terms like "wages", "income", "derived from", "received", etc. If you did something, and got paid for it, you owe tax.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

He will never reach the bargaining stage because he's stuck in denial.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Post by Joey Smith »

Wow. Pete is roadkill.
- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -
Noah
Exalted Parter of the Great Sea of Insanity

Post by Noah »

Joey Smith wrote:Wow. Pete is roadkill.
Don't count him out yet...he may survive like Kuglin, Bannister and Cryer on a few others.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Noah wrote:
Joey Smith wrote:Wow. Pete is roadkill.
Don't count him out yet...he may survive like Kuglin, Bannister and Cryer on a few others.
Agreed. You never know what a jury will do. I give Pete a 10% chance of acquittal.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Noah wrote:Don't count him out yet...he may survive like Kuglin, Bannister and Cryer on a few others.
You think that "survive" is a good result?
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Noah

Post by Noah »

LPC wrote:
Noah wrote:Don't count him out yet...he may survive like Kuglin, Bannister and Cryer on a few others.

It sure beats the alternative.
LPC

Post by LPC »

From page 38, not 21, of the court's opinion:
if Defendant believes that his reading of the Internal Revenue Code is correct and that the Government’s is wrong, he can bring a direct challenge seeking dismissal of the indictment for failure to state a criminal offense under a proper construction of the tax code. Indeed, the Court turns next to Defendant’s motion in which he advances an argument of precisely this sort.
So the only direct substantive challenge to the indictment was over the word "person."

Once again, a tax denier who claims to have followed the law, and continues to insist that his understanding of the law is correct, fails to assert that understanding of the law in a direct challenge to the indictment, instead falling back on procedural challenges and, ultimately, the Cheek defense of lack of willfulness due to a misunderstanding of the law.

The closest Hendrickson came to a direct assertion of his legal theory was the question whether the grand jury was "properly instructed" on the law and whether the grand jury was instructed on the "true" meanings of "person, "wages," "employee," and "employment." (Page 34.) The court rejected this challenge on procedural grounds, because there is no right to challenge the evidence or instructions given to the grand jury, but the court also expressed doubt about the substantive argument as well. ("For what it is worth, it seems doubtful, to say the least, that the grand jury would have been instructed in accordance with Defendat's understand of the INternal Revenue Code." Page 38, note 21.)

And this is the same behavior we saw in the civil suit against Hendrickson. He never asserted that he was right as a matter of law, but instead relied on arguments about jurisdiction, burdens of proof, presumptions, and other collateral nonsense.

So we come again to the question why. Why will Hendrickson not directly assert the correctness of his ideas in court?

I don't think that his lawyer is holding him back, because he was able to assert the "person" nonsense. If the lawyer was willing to make a frivolous argument about the meaning of "person," he shouldn't have balked at the equally frivolous arguments about the meanings of "wages," "employee," and "employer."

At this point, there is only one good answer. Hendrickson *knows* that the court will rule against him, and doesn't want that to happen. It might be ego, or it might be economic self-interest (to keep the book sales alive), or it might be an unconscious defense mechanism to protect his delusions. But the conclusion that he is ducking the hard truth is now inescapable.
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
LPC

Post by LPC »

Noah wrote:
LPC wrote:

It sure beats the alternative.
I didn't think that the death penalty was on the table.
Dan Evans
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

LPC wrote:At this point, there is only one good answer. Hendrickson *knows* that the court will rule against him, and doesn't want that to happen. It might be ego, or it might be economic self-interest (to keep the book sales alive), or it might be an unconscious defense mechanism to protect his delusions. But the conclusion that he is ducking the hard truth is now inescapable.
You're suggesting he doesn't really want the court to address his legal theories. I agree.

If the court were to actually address his legal theories, and rule against him, as they're likely to do, he'd to discontinue book sales, and he'd no longer be the "guru" that others find him.

It is indeed interesting that he's never challenged the law "toe-to-toe" with his theories. He doesn't want the courts to systematically dismantle them, and thus, takes a defensive route.
Noah

Post by Noah »

LPC wrote:I didn't think that the death penalty was on the table.
Survive was not a good term, I should have used the phrase "avoid conviction" . Avoiding conviction sure beats the alternative. Thanks for reminding me of the value of exact and precise definition of words and phrases.