Utah Tax Commission: Can you hear me now?

Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Utah Tax Commission: Can you hear me now?

Post by Demosthenes »

Provo businessman charged with tax evasion
Published: Wednesday, Oct. 14, 2009 3:36 p.m. MDT

PROVO — The operator of a Provo hearing-aid company was charged Tuesday with tax evasion for allegedly refusing to pay taxes for the past 13 years.

Robert E. Harris, 76, head of Harris Hearing Aids, was charged in 3rd District Court with six felony counts, including tax evasion, a second-degree felony, and failure to file a tax return, a third-degree felony.

The Utah State Tax Commission said it believes Harris made about $5 million between 2003 and 2007 but has not filed a return or paid any income taxes since at least 1996. The commission believes he owes the state approximately $700,000 in taxes, penalties and interest.

Reached at his business Wednesday, Harris said he has done nothing wrong. He said he has not filed a return over those years because of a dispute with the Internal Revenue Service.

Harris said he has not heard from state investigators in more than a year. "They pulled this surprise on me yesterday, and it's totally wrong."

Charlie Roberts, spokesman for the Tax Commission, said it was "unfortunate" the commission had to file charges, but fighting with the IRS is not an excuse for refusing to pay taxes.

"We're all required to file income-tax returns," he said.
Demo.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Re: Utah Tax Commission: Can you hear me now?

Post by LPC »

Demosthenes wrote:Reached at his business Wednesday, Harris said he has done nothing wrong. He said he has not filed a return over those years because of a dispute with the Internal Revenue Service.
I don't want to go all "spiritual" or "metaphysical" on you all, but there's a lesson in "A Course in Miracles" that says that "In my defenselessness my safety lies."

If the guy had gone defenseless, and had filed the freaking state tax returns regardless of his disputes with the IRS, he might have had to pay some taxes but he wouldn't be in the trouble he's in now.

Sometimes, the best defense is not offense, but just not to be defensive.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Re: Utah Tax Commission: Can you hear me now?

Post by . »

Idiot wrote:They pulled this surprise on me
Right. Has serious income but hasn't filed a state return in 13 years, is obviously aware that he's on the radar because he has an ongoing dispute with the IRS and yet somehow it's a "surprise" that Utah finally took action.

Sorry, buddy. Nobody believes you because nobody is that stupid. Not to mention that there's probably a large stack of correspondence and demands from Utah over many years that he conveniently forgot to mention.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.