From the blogger.
2nd UPDATE

Guilty on all Counts on all Parties!

Verdict reached at 2:20PM. Not much else to say right now
bmielke

Re: Springer and Stilley guilty on all counts

Post by bmielke »

Cannot say this was unexpected.

I think Stilley will probably get less time than Springer. Just because Springer is a repeat offender and a mastermind. Stilley while he caused trouble seems like he was Springers Minnion, but I could be wrong about that, that is my perception of the case.
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

I read in the other thread that the jury was Hung at 12:00 but then at 2:20 they found them guilty on all counts, that doesn't seem possible to me, how long did they deliberate in total?
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

bmielke wrote:I read in the other thread that the jury was Hung at 12:00 but then at 2:20 they found them guilty on all counts, that doesn't seem possible to me, how long did they deliberate in total?
Why isn't it possible? All it would take is for one juror to change his or her vote on one count for this change in status to occur.
Demo.
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Demosthenes wrote:
bmielke wrote:I read in the other thread that the jury was Hung at 12:00 but then at 2:20 they found them guilty on all counts, that doesn't seem possible to me, how long did they deliberate in total?
Why isn't it possible? All it would take is for one juror to change his or her vote on one count for this change in status to occur.
No it is, but I thought a hung Jury was a much bigger split then just 11 and 1 I thought it was like 5 and 7 or 6 and 6. If it was only on then yes I suppose that would be much easier.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

No it is, but I thought a hung Jury was a much bigger split then just 11 and 1 I thought it was like 5 and 7 or 6 and 6. If it was only on then yes I suppose that would be much easier.
In a federal criminal case, anything les than 12-0 is a hung jury.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

For Stilley, I guess the criminal conviction makes the disbarment proceedings somewhat moot.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

If you go to Springer's website - http://penaltyprotester.com/ - it says
The Penalty Protestor Site has been disabled per order of the Court
We are very sorry for any inconvenience.
although I am not sure which court supposedly issued the order.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I would suspect / hope, that Stilley’s legal career is now nothing but a lamentable footnote.

To be perfectly honest, considering that he has at the very least alleged to have been a lawyer and then getting involved in this should earn him some extra points at sentencing, or at least in my feeling it should. Not feeling particularly charitable at the moment towards either of them, and to be perfectly honest, I don’t think they have done anything to deserve any kind of consideration. They are to put not too fine a point on it, dishonest crooks and cheats and deserve exactly what they get.

And as an added bonus, Reenie will be beside herself at the loss as these are two of her heros that she has been ranting about.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Dr. Caligari wrote:In a federal criminal case, anything les than 12-0 is a hung jury.
I've had two 11-0 federal verdicts. See Rule 23(b)(3), FRCrP. I'm sure you knew about it, Dr. C, and think you probably just meant to say that a federal criminal jury must render a unanimous verdict.

FWIW, one was an acquittal, the other a conviction.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
wserra

Post by wserra »

bmielke wrote:Cannot say this was unexpected.
But sweet nonetheless.

Writing this made me realize something - I do root for the promotors to go to jail. I save the "What a waste - it didn't have to be this way" for the little guys caught in the meat grinder. Even the stupid little guys like the Brown supporters. But Stilley and Springer richly deserve what they get.
I think Stilley will probably get less time than Springer.
I doubt it. Stilley is (currently) a lawyer. He should and likely will be held to a higher standard.
- David Hume
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

I'm sure you knew about it, Dr. C, and think you probably just meant to say that a federal criminal jury must render a unanimous verdict.
Thank you, that's what I meant.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Media reports - The Associated Press reports the guilty verdicts for Stilley and Springer:

http://content.usatoday.net/dist/custom ... 8647.story
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

WES, I have to agree with you. I see not point or reason for sympathy for the likes of Lindsey and Springer. They set out to intentionally commit a crime and defraud other in the process, and their sole motivation was greed. The fact that they got caught in their own trap is merely justice coming home to roost. There is nothing sympathetic about people who do things like this. The lawyer should have known better, if only by virtue of knowing what happens when people try this sort of thing, they eventually get caught, and they go to jail. The other one is a con-artist and crook of long standing, so no surprise there. The victims here are the people they sold this snake oil to, not them, they did it knowingly and intentionally. They deserve whatever happens to them now.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

In another universe, "Maid Marion" writes:
This is terrible news.

What we need are enlightened, educated juries!!!

Not to worry or become discouraged Springer and Stilley will win on appeal.

Regards to Lindsey and Oscar.
http://chroniclingtheendofanera.blogspo ... ws_16.html

Someone refresh my memory, please...... the name "Maid Marion" rings a bell......

EDIT: Oh, who could it possssssiiiibly be, oh I just don't know, could it be.........

reeeeeeeeennnnnie!???!
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Maid Marion from another universe wrote: This is terrible news.

What we need are enlightened, educated juries!!!...
Yes, indeed. Let's find pools of disaffected loonies to take the oath, perjure themselves and be held in contempt at taxpayer expense. And let's not worry about the costs of retrials.

Genius, sheer genius. :roll:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
wserra

Post by wserra »

The press release from the OKND U.S. Attorney's office:

http://www.justice.gov/usao/okn/press/S ... erdict.pdf
- David Hume
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

wserra wrote:The press release from the OKND U.S. Attorney's office:

http://www.justice.gov/usao/okn/press/S ... erdict.pdf
From the press release:
Neither Springer nor Stilley have filed an income tax return since the late 1980’s.
Seriously?

And:
There were numerous transactions involving hundreds of thousands of dollars between Springer and Stilley that flowed through the IOLTA account, such as $166,000 paid out in August 2005 to purchase a motor home titled in the name of Springer and his wife, and a September 2005 payment of $25,813 to purchase a Lexus automobile titled in Springer’s name.
Once again, seriously?

One wonders why it took the jury that long to convict.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Look at the chronology.

The jury held out long enough to get a free lunch.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

A longer local article on the verdict:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article. ... otax132387

Excerpt:
Lindsey Kent Springer, 44, and Oscar Amos Stilley, 46, have been free on bond, and U.S. District Judge Stephen Friot allowed them to remain out of jail until they are sentenced.

However, the judge beefed up considerably the conditions of their bonds — including placing them on home detention and holding out the possibility that they might have to perform community service even before they are sentenced.

Friot warned them that their activity as "scam artists must end today."
Demo.