TP crashes plane into IRS building!

Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

TP crashes plane into IRS building!

Post by Imalawman »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,586581,00.html Oh yeah, these TPs are just the cream of the crop.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Re: TP crashes plane into IRS building!

Post by Demosthenes »

How do you know it's a tp?
Demo.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Perhaps because he set his house on fire first before doing his impression of a kamikaze pilot?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Which doesn't make him a tax denier.
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

I found his manifesto, posted this morning:

http://embeddedart.com/
Demo.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Demosthenes wrote:Which doesn't make him a tax denier.
But that kind of behavior and the fact that the IRS was a prominent tenant of the building made it a safe bet that he was. After all, who else would set their house on fire and kill themselves as part of attack on the IRS? It suggests the mentality of a person who has calculated it is better to deny the government any part of their possessions than to submit - and perhaps they can take a few ebil gubment workers with them.

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

The Observer wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:Which doesn't make him a tax denier.
But that kind of behavior and the fact that the IRS was a prominent tenant of the building made it a safe bet that he was. After all, who else would set their house on fire and kill themselves as part of attack on the IRS? It suggests the mentality of a person who has calculated it is better to deny the government any part of their possessions than to submit - and perhaps they can take a few ebil gubment workers with them.
The shooter at the Las Vegas courthouse set his home on fire, and then walked into a federal courthouse shooting in a successful suicide by cop attempt. Anger and violence directed at government agencies is not unique to tax deniers.
Demo.
Brandybuck

Post by Brandybuck »

From the screed it doesn't sound like a tax denier, just someone pissed at the IRS for contributing to his economic demise. He rather reminds me of Michael Douglas in "Falling Down".
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

I didn't find any litigation regarding Joseph Stack in either the Tax Court or PACER.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

LPC wrote:I didn't find any litigation regarding Joseph Stack in either the Tax Court or PACER.
Neither did I. No tax liens either.
Demo.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Demosthenes wrote:The shooter at the Las Vegas courthouse set his home on fire, and then walked into a federal courthouse shooting in a successful suicide by cop attempt. Anger and violence directed at government agencies is not unique to tax deniers.
And I would have not described the shooter at the courthouse a tax denier. Nor did I say that this kind of attack was solely in the realm of TPs. My conclusion was based on the fact that because the IRS was the target, that was the reason to believe it was a tax denier.
Brandybuck wrote:From the screed it doesn't sound like a tax denier, just someone pissed at the IRS for contributing to his economic demise. He rather reminds me of Michael Douglas in "Falling Down".
Unless it revolves around his interpretation of IRC 1706 and the protracted battle that he claims ensued in pursuing this. But the lack of cases, as LPC points, out seems to agree with him not being the typical TP, although there are many characteristics expressed in the message that would go hand in hand with the mentality of Ed Brown.

And whether he is a TP or not, we can be sure that the TPs out there are going to be holding Stack up as a martyr and a example they should follow.

Evil Squirrel Overlord
Emperor of rodents, foreign and domestic

Post by Evil Squirrel Overlord »

Could be a paranoid delusional individual who never actually was in any tax trouble but believed it to be so.
Are you saying that Ron Paul serves as a convenient chew toy to keep stupid puppies occupied so they don't roll in the garbage? -grixit
VinnyZ
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by VinnyZ »

I tried reading the manifesto but it is a tad wordy.

At first glance it seems as though he was treated as an independent contractor and didn't like the tax consequences. He mentions something to the effect of starting a church. My guess is that he tried direct his income through the church to avoid taxes and the IRS saw through it.

However, in his mind, because of all the corruption, bailouts and wealthy churches, it was justified.
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

MyFoxAustin.com reported earlier Thursday that Austin firefighters responded to a house fire at a home believed to be Stack's. Firefighters reported that the entire house was engulfed in flames, including the fence, when they arrived on the scene.

Neighbors said they heard a loud explosion in the house Thursday morning and allegedly pulled two females, believed to be Stack's wife and daughter, out of the house, according to MyFoxAustin.
I don't think he's a typical tax protest type -- he is or was a "family annihilator." http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... s_who.html
"My Health is Better in November."
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

OK, OK, so maybe I jumped the gun a little, but he was definitely pissed off at the IRS. So, I was partly right anyway...

EDIT - after reading the manifesto, I think he was a TP. So, I take it back - I was right.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Question everything

Post by Question everything »

As soon as I heard the building housed the IRS, I was waiting to see if the pilot was Gene Chapman. It wouldn't have surprised me in the least. Maybe not a certified TP, but he did not have any love for the IRS.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

CaptainKickback wrote:
Imalawman wrote:OK, OK, so maybe I jumped the gun a little, but he was definitely pissed off at the IRS. So, I was partly right anyway...
No, under the Related Stories bar in the article is the link to his suicide manifesto. Heaven forbid that anybody should actually read the whole article and the items surrounding it.....C'mon people, if I could find it.........
I posted it near the beginning of this thread.
Demo.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

I notice that while some sources identify the subject as "Joseph Andrew Stack," others are now identifying him as "Andrew Joseph Stack III". There is a listing for a person with the latter name at a residence in Austin.

Still, I see no Tax Court or PACER cases for "Andrew Joseph Stack III". There was a bankruptcy for a "Junior" by that name in New Hampshire back in 1991.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

FYI on that original link:
This website has been taken offline due to the sensitive nature of the events that transpired in Texas this morning and in compliance with a request from the FBI. To see an archived version of the original letter, please go here: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/ye ... tack1.html. Please visit our forum if you wish to discuss anything related to this incident: Texas crash pilot left suicide note on Web site - embeddedart.com.

Regards,
T35 Hosting - http://www.T35.com
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
gottago
Victim of Incarcerated Criminal

Post by gottago »

Soon as I saw the burning building on TV and where it was located, I figured it probably had something to do with the IRS since I have been to that building several times (thankfully, not recently) for meetings with the collection agent. Seems amazing that not more damage (other than the building) or injuries since there is a LOT of traffic in the area and quite a few office buildings. That is something to be thankful for.

Even though the guy had no "court records" I know from my personal experience that the IRS is able to cash out your retirement accounts, clean out your bank accounts. place levies on your paycheck and file multiple NOFTLs on everything you own without any court involvement. I would be surprised if the guy was not in enforced collections. I can certainly understand the trapped and hopeless feelings that would make someone do something really stupid like this--hope his family is OK.

Gottago