TP crashes in building, part 2

Nikki

Re: TP crashes in building, part 2

Post by Nikki »

Whatever happened to the concept of, in civil suits: Loser Pays?
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Nikki wrote:Whatever happened to the concept of, in civil suits: Loser Pays?
It's un-American.

Literally.

(Google "American rule" and see what you get.)
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

LaVidaRoja wrote:[sarcasm mode on] Surely, if Ms. Hunter could find an attorney to bring her cause of action, Ms. Stack can find one to both defend her and bring a counter-suit.[sarcasm mode off]
Considering the issues and publicity involved, surely some firm(s) will step in to offer to represent her. It's not only high-profile, it has intriguing liability nuances.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:This is little more than rank speculation, but the Hunter family may be attempting to head off any potential contributory negligence theory, i.e., that Mr. Hunter had an existing medical condition or impairment or was taking a prescription medicine that materially inhibited his ability to escape from a building that caught on fire after the impact and explosion.

Obviously, the building owner/manager is going to be looked at in terms of what the status and condition of the life-safety facilities and equipment in the building and you can bet their insurance carriers are going to look long and hard at any potential claim from victims.
Which is why i am in favor of bringing back the pillory and the lash for insurance adjusters.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

A very good op-ed piece that criticizes those who are looking to make political hay out of the Austin incident.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Last week, a deranged man lit his house aflame with his wife and child inside,
Too bad he started it with a glaring error.
Demo.
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

The Observer wrote:A very good op-ed piece that criticizes those who are looking to make political hay out of the Austin incident.
He's not keeping up with the situation - or this was written before more accurate information about the whereabouts of the Stack family came out, but I think he's a little out of touch with some of the folks in flyover country who have found the IRS to be less than reasonable over the years. Despite his credentials, the idea that the IRS is a "model government agency" would be seen as absurd among millions of taxpayers as well as less than accurate by the IRS's own internal advocate's office.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Along the lines of what CkB said, I agree I have never had any problems with DMV (in two States) or SSA, but I always have issues with Local Government, the County Clerk to get License Plates, or Registration, or to register to vote, always a hassle.
gottago
Victim of Incarcerated Criminal

Post by gottago »

Wonder if the desire to keep the autopsy results from being made public means that perhaps Mr. Hunter's physical condition when he was found deceased was not consistent with major trauma (burns, blunt force trauma, etc.) For example, suppose he was found on the floor next to his desk with no internal or external signs of injury--maybe he had a heart attack. I suppose in "legal land" that would make Mr. Stack technically not "responsible" for his death but of course common sense says something different...

I would be surprised if a 68 year old GS employee with many years of service did not have a sizeable life insurance policy to care for his wife and children, especially if he was killed "in the line of duty" so to speak.

The Veteran's cemetery in Killeen is a very beautiful and moving place to visit. I knew some people buried there and have visited it a few times. Hope Mr. Hunter rests in peace there.

Gottago
gottago
Victim of Incarcerated Criminal

Post by gottago »

Secondly, concerning unethical, ambulance chasing lawyers

My precious 17 yo niece was killed about a month ago driving her car to school in rural Massachuesetts. The driving conditions were poor and apparently there were snow drifts covering the road she was driving on and she lost control of her car, hit a fire hydrant and died the next day from her injuries. She was really dead on arrival but was kept "alive" long enough for her organs to be donated.

If you simply Google her name, the story of her accident comes up with a link to some local newspapers and the funeral home handling her services. Additionally, it comes up on two personal injury lawyer sites. Disgusting.

Gottago
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

gottago wrote:My precious 17 yo niece was killed about a month ago driving her car to school in rural Massachuesetts. The driving conditions were poor and apparently there were snow drifts covering the road she was driving on and she lost control of her car, hit a fire hydrant and died the next day from her injuries. She was really dead on arrival but was kept "alive" long enough for her organs to be donated.
I'm sorry for your loss.
If you simply Google her name, the story of her accident comes up with a link to some local newspapers and the funeral home handling her services. Additionally, it comes up on two personal injury lawyer sites. Disgusting.
I'm wondering if her name appears anywhere on the site (like in the source of the page) for Google to index it. If that were the case and it were me, I'd send them a letter demanding that they remove her name from their site as they have anything to do with her. If they don't, then I'd write a letter to the editor of the paper not only in your town but also your niece's home town and the town the lawyers are located in. Google might also have issues with it, for (at the very least) indexing reasons. Whether what they're doing is legal or not, I don't know, but they need to learn that it's not acceptable.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

webhick wrote:If they don't, then I'd write a letter to the editor of the paper not only in your town but also your niece's home town and the town the lawyers are located in.
A complaint to the Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers would likely have more of an impact.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

wserra wrote:
webhick wrote:If they don't, then I'd write a letter to the editor of the paper not only in your town but also your niece's home town and the town the lawyers are located in.
A complaint to the Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers would likely have more of an impact.
Excellent point.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie