"Not guilty" in a 1099-OID case

Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

"Not guilty" in a 1099-OID case

Post by Demosthenes »

She's a follower, not a promoter.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/239350

Excerpt:
It had started in August 2006, when Tucker, known to her friends as "Dot," went to a luxury car dealership, told a salesman and manager she was inheriting money, then tried repeatedly to persuade them to let her take the Mercedes in exchange for unusual-looking documents that she and her financial adviser said were vouchers for some sort of federal payment.

To Assistant U.S. Attorney Pat Hogeboom, when Tucker gave the car dealership a supposed federal 1099-OID -- a form usually used to report profits from bonds -- she seemed to be following the tax defier tactic of trying to use the form to claim the government owed her money. And on other forms, Hogeboom said, Tucker seemed to be asserting that spelling her name in all caps referred to someone different than when standard capitalization was used, an argument also employed among tax defiers.
Demo.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Re: "Not guilty" in a 1099-OID case

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Am I the only one wondering why she wasn't just prosecuted locally for attempting to defraud the auto dealership?
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

If I were going to try this I would have tried a Chevy Dealership first. I figure a Mercedes Dealership probably sees all kinds of weird, but legitimate documents and payment forms a Chevy Place might never see.

Of course if I wanted the best chance I would try a used car place.
David Merrill

Post by David Merrill »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:Am I the only one wondering why she wasn't just prosecuted locally for attempting to defraud the auto dealership?

Or maybe why the judge didn't prosecute her from the bench?
But all of that was in the mix Tuesday as a jury in U.S. District Court in Roanoke heard a day of testimony, deliberated about three hours and finally acquitted Tucker, 56, of Roanoke, of charges of mail fraud and creating a false, fraudulent financial document in her attempt to gain the luxury sedan.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:Am I the only one wondering why she wasn't just prosecuted locally for attempting to defraud the auto dealership?
That might still happen. Also, the dealership should be able to sue her for wasting their time.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

grixit wrote:That might still happen. Also, the dealership should be able to sue her for wasting their time.
I don't think that's grounds for prosecution.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

It's a totally legitimate reason to bring suit against someone -- even if there's no legal basis for the suit.

As long as we don't have 'loser pays' in civil suits, deep pockets can inflict a great deal of financial injury when they want to. Putting up a successful defense to a civil suit requires some money.

Such a suit is going to cost her either way. Either she pays an attorney to handle the legitimate dismissal, or she pays the dealership after it gets a default judgment.

Ugly, but she opened the door.
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Nikki wrote:It's a totally legitimate reason to bring suit against someone -- even if there's no legal basis for the suit.

As long as we don't have 'loser pays' in civil suits, deep pockets can inflict a great deal of financial injury when they want to. Putting up a successful defense to a civil suit requires some money.

Such a suit is going to cost her either way. Either she pays an attorney to handle the legitimate dismissal, or she pays the dealership after it gets a default judgment.

Ugly, but she opened the door.
IMHO, someone dropped the ball on this one. It seems to me that if the players wanted to actually whack her for scamming the dealership they would have done so under various state statutes. Instead, someone passes the buck and hands it up to let the Federal Grand Jury take a whack at her.

Now what we wind up with is a perpetrator of a rather simple case of attempted criminal fraud who plays an apparently viable sympathy defense to the more onerous Federal charges and gets away with it.

Now, she and her guru dance the happy dance and the scam will be used again.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three