Liberty Dollar Update

webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Re: Liberty Dollar Update

Post by webhick »

Thank you for the record number of emailings for the October Newsletter.
Is four a record?
It's good to know that you remain interested in your money that was confiscated by the US government.
WAIT! According to what you told everyone in November of 2007, the gov't confiscated all the silver, gold, platinum, two tons of Ron Paul Dollars and only froze your bank accounts. You're slipping, Bernie. You're not supposed to be calling the LD "money," remember? It's supposed to be "private barter currency" or some nonsense. Nice admission, there pal.

Also, good job on being a catty bitch to your victims.
Now, I invite you to check out the info in this exciting new issue!
I'm not in the mood.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Demosthenes wrote:
This was a very serious flaw in the gov case against the LD4.
Flaw? You mean the defense has no argument?

Oh, he said a flaw in the government case. I doubt that.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

I think that LD's customers ought to know that von NotHaus argued in his own lawsuit against the US Attorney's Office that he could not, for various reasons, be prosecuted for any crime, even he undeniably committed one. This means that von NotHaus had this same attitude when and while he was selling his LDs and dealing with his customers -- namely he thought he would never be made to answer if he swindled them. Of course, he was wrong about that, but the fact that he had been thinking that way until now does put the candor of his dealings under a new light.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Monetary Artichoke wrote:
First a short course in criminal law 101: Every criminal offense is constructed of elements. Every element must apply for a defendant to be convicted. For example, if "burglary" is "breaking" and "entering" a "house" at "night" and taking "property" that he/she "does not own" then there are six elements. ALL SIX ELEMENTS must apply for the defendant to be found guilty in court. That is the law. If the defendant broke into a "warehouse" or broke into a "house" during the "day", he would not be guilty. Criminal law is very exact as it must be because the defendant's life, or years of it, is at issue and equally to protect the innocent.
Ok, that doesn't jive with what i've observed. Of couse, ianal, but neither is he, so here's hw i see it.

Every criminal offense has the possibility of additional elements. A person found to be inside a structure they have no business being in, can be charged with tresspassing. If they did damage while their that could add vandalism or malicious mischief. If it appears they intended to steal, then that's burglary, whether or not they actually got away with anything. We've all seen "stupid criminal" shows where someone is found stuck in a window or a vent so the cops have to rescue them. They still get charged with burglay. If they broke lock it's definitely breaking and entering, but even if they walked thorugh an open door they're not excused. Now it's true you can't have a charge of "home invasion" if it wasn't a home, but if there was someone there then there can still be charges of assault, battery or false imprisonment. If they took something of great value there might be extra charges for that.

Only an exceptionally stupid prosecuter would take the largest set of elements and make a single charge of A .AND. B .AND. C, all of which must be proven or the defendent goes scott free. More likely is separate charges of each, some as aggravating circumstance and some as lesser inclluded charges. And only an exceptionally stupid defender would put everything on trying to disprove a single item, or redefine it into something else and say aha, that's it. Instead, they try to see what they can get "taken off the table" before the trial even starts and if the case looks bad enough then, yeah, they'll try to work out a plea deal to avoid the more serious charges.

But what do i know, i never slept through Criminal Law 101.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

grixit wrote:
Monetary Artichoke wrote:First a short course in criminal law 101: Every criminal offense is constructed of elements. Every element must apply for a defendant to be convicted. For example, if "burglary" is "breaking" and "entering" a "house" at "night" and taking "property" that he/she "does not own" then there are six elements. ALL SIX ELEMENTS must apply for the defendant to be found guilty in court. That is the law. If the defendant broke into a "warehouse" or broke into a "house" during the "day", he would not be guilty. Criminal law is very exact as it must be because the defendant's life, or years of it, is at issue and equally to protect the innocent.
Ok, that doesn't jive with what i've observed.
I never took criminal law 101 (or some reason, it wasn't required at my law school when I attended), but what NutHouse is saying is very close to what I was taught during my bar review course. The common law felony of burglary was the (1) entry of a (2) dwelling (3) at night (4) by force (5) for the purpose of committing a felony (such as larceny). And if any one of those elements is missing, then it's not "burglary." It might be another crime, but it's not burglary.
grixit wrote:If they broke lock it's definitely breaking and entering, but even if they walked thorugh an open door they're not excused.
As I said, that's not what I was taught. Walking in through an open door does not involve the use of "force" so it's not burglary. It might be criminal trespass, and it might be larceny if you steal something after you've entered, but it's not burglary as I've defined it above.

Now let's look at what NutHouse has been charged with:
18 U.S.C. § 486. Uttering coins of gold, silver or other metal.

Whoever, except as authorized by law, makes or utters or passes, or attempts to utter or pass, any coins of gold or silver or other metal, or alloys of metals, intended for use as current money, whether in the resemblance of coins of the United States or of foreign countries, or of original design, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years or both.
NutHouse has claimed that the original indictment was defective because it didn't charge him with "original design." But "original design" begins with "or," so it's an alternative. NutHouse can be convicted if the government can prove *either* that the coins were "in the resemblance of coins of the United States" *or* were "of original design." (I'm ignoring foreign coins.)

And those alternatives seem to be pretty all-encompassing because, as a logical matter, a coin is going to be either a copy of an American or foreign coin, or its going to be an original design. What else could it be? The phrase "original design" doesn't strike me as a requirement that the defendant have designed the coin. Copying someone else's design for a commemorative coin, and passing it off as "current money," would seem to be as illegal as copying an American coin. In other words, the phrase "original design" was probably intended to include within the crime coins that don't look like American (or foreign) coins as well as coins that do, and not limit the crime to designers of coins while excluding mere copy-cats.

So I'm not sure that the government even needed to include an allegation of "resemblance" or "original design" in the indictment, but the prosecutor might have decided to put it in out of an abundance of caution. For example, my recollection is that there is a difference between evasion of assessment and evasion of payment, even though there is only one statute, and there has been litigation over whether the government needs to allege one or the other, or whether they can allege both and then prove only one. There might be a similar issue here, and the prosecution might have decided to avoid the issue by alleging "original design."
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

The ongoing federal forfeiture action against NORFED/LD/NotHaus is titled: US v. 3039.375 Pounds of Copper Coins (WDNC 08-civ-230). Notice: Copper coins. There's nothing in the intermediate decisions that corroborates the claim that NotHaus made to LD's customers that the Feds found and confiscated any metallic gold or silver from LD.
Is it possible that LD had no precious metal to confiscate??
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Did the seizure documents mention silver paint?
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

ArthurWankspittle wrote:Did the seizure documents mention silver paint?
... or maybe that the LDs were (to use a term I despise when I see it in advertisements for "collectibles") "layered" in pure silver?
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

As for the terms of the federal law, the LDs incorporated both a resemblance to bona fide US coins and original designs. Von NotHaus himself was mentioning in LD ads that the silver LDs reproduced the Liberty head of silver dollars of a century earlier.
Harvester

Post by Harvester »

fortinbras wrote:As for the terms of the federal law, the LDs incorporated both a resemblance to bona fide US coins and original designs. Von NotHaus himself was mentioning in LD ads that the silver LDs reproduced the Liberty head of silver dollars of a century earlier.
Well here's a $10 Liberty Head gold coin from 1907....
ImageImage
She is clearly a different woman than the Von NotHaus design with exposed ear and spiked crown. Although they are both facing left. I suppose someone could have confused a LD round for a US Mint coin; I wouldn't, our govt stopped issuing real money for circulation in 1965! Certainly no one came closer to minting rounds resembling US coins than Von NotHaus. It's almost like he was daring the Feds to come after him. Anyway, I wish him well.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

I actually see resemblances to both the Liberty Head nickel (the so-called "V" nickel) of 1883-1912 (1913?) and the Peace Dollar of 1921-35. The ribbon with "LIBERTY" on it looks like it was taken from the Morgan Dollars of 1878-1921.

I have yet to figure out how to add images to my posts, but Google will help until someone else adds the images.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Liberty Head Nickel:

Peace Dollar
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

I think that NotHaus was speaking of an early LD issue when he claimed to have copied the Liberty image from a century-old US coin. The newer issue, with the U.S.A. at the bottom, is, I think, new artwork, but the earlier NORFED coins seem to more closely emulate official US mintings.
Harvester

Post by Harvester »

Bernie, I think the LD pic I posted is from 2003. Ah yes, the Peace dollar girl does have a spiked crown; thanks for that Pottie & Webhick. But I still view them all as different ladies. I do think non-US Mint coins/rounds should not be made confusingly similar to the real ones. And certainly the US has a right to protect its brand.

Aunti, you talkin da me? Me with the New World Order, HA! That'll be the day. More likely you'll be joining my side. Oh you had a nice run, sure, but your reign is so over, admit it. We're winning this one! STAND TALL WARRIORS! :mrgreen:
silversopp

Post by silversopp »

Harvester wrote:We're winning this one! STAND TALL WARRIORS!
How exactly are you winning? And what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

You gave up on the CtC method. Failure!
Pete Hendrickson is in jail. Failure!
Governors didn't magically disappear after reading that letter. Failure!
Liberty Dollar proved to be a scam, and the organizers are going to trial. Failure!
The IRS did not magically disappear after you sacrificed that llama. Failure!
David Merrill's time machine turned out to just be a cardboard box. Failure!

What victories am I missing here?

*waits*
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

silversopp wrote:
Harvester wrote:We're winning this one! STAND TALL WARRIORS!
How exactly are you winning? And what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

You gave up on the CtC method. Failure!
Pete Hendrickson is in jail. Failure!
Governors didn't magically disappear after reading that letter. Failure!
Liberty Dollar proved to be a scam, and the organizers are going to trial. Failure!
The IRS did not magically disappear after you sacrificed that llama. Failure!
David Merrill's time machine turned out to just be a cardboard box. Failure!

What victories am I missing here?

*waits*
My governor is leaving office, and I am almost sure it is because of the letter... or term limits...I'll go with the letter.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Harvester wrote: More likely you'll be joining my side. Oh you had a nice run, sure, but your reign is so over, admit it. We're winning this one! STAND TALL WARRIORS! :mrgreen:
Yawn....Wake me up when you have a shred of evidence that you're "winning". Until then, frankly, I don't give a damn.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Harvester never was any good at spelling. Corrected it for him:
Harvester wrote:Bernie, I think the LD pic I posted is from 2003. Ah yes, the Peace dollar girl does have a spiked crown; thanks for that Pottie & Webhick. But I still view them all as different ladies. I do think non-US Mint coins/rounds should not be made confusingly similar to the real ones. And certainly the US has a right to protect its brand.

Aunti, you talkin da me? Me with the New World Order, HA! That'll be the day. More likely you'll be joining my side. Oh you had a nice run, sure, but your reign is so over, admit it. We're whining this one! STAND TALL WARRIORS! :mrgreen:
Thule
Tragedian of Sovereign Mythology

Post by Thule »

silversopp wrote: What victories am I missing here?
He's not banned from Quatloos...
Survivor of the Dark Agenda Whistleblower Award, August 2012.
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

And he's still a chickenshit who's afraid to play chess with an eminently breakable little ol' lady. Sand crawl, worrier.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold