Peter Pappas on anti-IRS lunatics

Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Peter Pappas on anti-IRS lunatics

Post by Famspear »

After the murderous attack by Joe Stack on the IRS building in Austin in February 2010, a CPA-attorney in Florida named Peter Pappas wrote the following about "anti-IRS lunatics" which I think encapsulates much of what has been written here in the Quatloos forum about tax protesters/tax deniers (March 14, 2010):
Here are the characteristics I have found common to anti-IRS lunatics:

•Lack of personal responsibility - If you could rewind the lives of these people and view them on your DVD, you would find that they have long histories of blaming everyone but themselves for their problems. For a good example of this, read my blog post about Joe Stack titled IRS Bomber Blamed Everyone But Himself;

•Extreme paranoia – To a man, these folks believe that the IRS has a personal vendetta against them. This feeling persists even where they owe a relatively nominal amount, have been given many opportunities to present their side of the story, and have consulted with several experienced tax professionals who have told them the IRS is right;

•Relationship problems- In addition to their IRS problem, the lives of these disturblings are riddled with difficulties. They almost always lack deep and satisfying relationships often having estranged themselves from their wives, children and siblings. Inevitably, those wives, children and siblings have become part of the vast worldwide conspiracy against them.

•Narcissism - Lunatic tax protestors truly believe the world revolves around them; that everything bad that happens is somehow directed personally at them. Their self-absorption extends even to natural phenemona [sic], like the weather. I knew one radical loony tune who as he was leaving my office noticed it had begun to rain. He pounded his hand on my desk and squealed like a stuck boar, “why is this always happening to me?“

•Gullibility – I could have approached Joe Stack two months ago and told him that the federal government was instituting a secret plan to exterminate everyone with an engineering degree and he would have immediately stocked up on canned foods and commenced building a bunker. And these are the same folks who believe others are gullible and naive for believing that the we landed on the Moon.

•Middle-Agedness - Extreme anti-goverment [sic] cretins are almost always between the ages of 45 and 65. Life apparently hasn’t worked out for them the way they wished it had. But instead of flying a plane into a building, why not do what every other red-blooded, American male in the throes of a mid-life crisis does: Buy a red sports car and date a hot blonde.

•Maleness – There are of course female anti-taxers, but they are rarely among the most extreme and almost always have adopted their radical attitudes at the behest of a man.
(footnotes omitted).

http://blog.pappastax.com/index.php/201 ... more-15233

One of the things I would add to those points is that although the majority of the wackadoosters do seem to be middle aged males, in my dealings with them I have often gotten the feeling that I am dealing with someone who is, mentally, an adolescent male (eg., Harvester/nationwide/johnthetaxist, Bob Hurt, Weston White).
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Brandybuck

Re: Peter Pappas on anti-IRS lunatics

Post by Brandybuck »

...why not do what every other red-blooded, American male in the throes of a mid-life crisis does: Buy a red sports car and date a hot blonde.
Wait, you're saying that hot blondes will date me?

Whoo hoo!
Colonel_Buck
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by Colonel_Buck »

Hot blondes come with red sports cars? Sign me up!
What kind of bomb was it? The exploding kind.
How can a blind man be a lookout? How can an idiot be a policeman?
But that's a priceless Steinway. Not any more.
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

Pappas wrote:disturblings
A made-up word, but it captures a fair bit of the essence of TPs with a mere 12 characters. I like it.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

. wrote:
A made-up word, but it captures a fair bit of the essence of TPs with a mere 12 characters. I like it.
I second that.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Famspear wrote:
. wrote:
I second that.
Ok, but let's see you use it in a limerick as part of the rhyming scheme.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

The Observer wrote:Ok, but let's see you use it in a limerick as part of the rhyming scheme.
Yikes!

:shock:
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Post by Cpt Banjo »

With apologies to the great Famspear, I'll give it a try:

If Lilliput Had Tax Deniers

Out from the shady suburblings
Come loud and inane reverblings
Of theories ill wrought
Why taxes do not
Apply to wee sov'run disturblings
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Cpt Banjo wrote:With apologies to the great Famspear, I'll give it a try:

Of theories ill wrought
Why taxes do not
Whoahh..... I am impressed! I couldn't come up with anything!
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

To the tune of "This Land is My Land":

This land is my land
This land is my land
It isn't your land
This land is my land

I've got a shotgun
And you ain't got one
This land belongs just to me

(From a very early Prairie Home Companion 'Department of Folk Songs' segment.)
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Peter Pappas wrote:......•Narcissism - Lunatic tax protestors truly believe the world revolves around them......Their self-absorption extends even to natural phenemona [sic].....
The term "self-absorption" aptly describes the condition of wackadoosters like "Harvester." I recall his post from just the other day:
And, for someone as stupid and ignorant as myself, y'all sure do give me lotsa attention!
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4898&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=60

Like many before him, Harvester labors under the delusion that the world revolves around him, that he is special, and that he is being given special attention. He hasn't read enough of the older threads in the forum, and he hasn't been around long enough to realize that he is given the same treatment given to other tax protesters who come here with an infantile, know-it-all spoiled brat attitude, a series of unsupported -- and unsupportable -- anti-tax/anti-banker/anti-authority assertions, and blusters full of cornball slogans like "stand tall warriors!".
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Post by Cpt Banjo »

Famspear wrote:Whoahh..... I am impressed! I couldn't come up with anything!
Coming from the Quatloosian Bard himself, that is high praise indeed. Thanks.
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
LOBO

Post by LOBO »

Or the Dave Barry version.

This land is your land.
This land is my land.
Looks like one of us
Has a forged deed to this land.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Famspear wrote:Like many before him, Harvester labors under the delusion that the world revolves around him, that he is special, and that he is being given special attention.
Yep, that's about it. He sets himself on fire, we piss on him, and he thinks he's getting "special attention."
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Cpt Banjo wrote:With apologies to the great Famspear, I'll give it a try:

Of theories ill wrought
Why taxes do not
Forget Famspear. Charles Dodgson would have been impressed.

(Needless to say, there will be a 20 Quatloos fine to anyone who needs to do research to figure out who Charles Dodgson was.)

(And there will be a 400 Quatloos fine to anyone who confesses to the above mentioned sin and then reports to webhick for "alternative" punishment.)
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Too many 'real' words to impress Dodgson.

Also, he's not permitted to post here -- his photography (at least his private collection) was a tad over the line. Not to mention that he's slightly deceased.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Nikki wrote:Not to mention that he's slightly deceased.
Yes. I often find a need to differentiate between kind-of deceased, slightly deceased, extra deceased, all the way deceased, and way past deceased. Can't have any mistakes.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

webhick wrote:
Nikki wrote:Not to mention that he's slightly deceased.
Yes. I often find a need to differentiate between kind-of deceased, slightly deceased, extra deceased, all the way deceased, and way past deceased. Can't have any mistakes.
You forgot Norwegian-Blue-deceased.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

and Princess Bride deceased
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

And one made-up word begets another.

From 182 Google results for "disturblings" (many probably the result of typos) there are four actual links to "suburblings" (one being to this thread.)

And exactly one actual link to "reverblings" which is, obviously, to this thread.

A new made-up word has been born. An unintended consequence and perhaps the only good consequence of TP insanity, unlike, say, their made-up court cites.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.