Hendrickson's Heroes: David & Morena Mills

Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Hendrickson's Heroes: David & Morena Mills

Post by Famspear »

I found some cases involving more of Hendrickson's Heroes. These cases involve David R. Mills and his wife, Morena I. Mills, of Los Angeles. The cases are as follows:

1. U.S. Tax Court, Case no. 003441-08, filed on February 8, 2008. Concerns tax years 2004 and 2005. Tax Court decision on March 5, 2009, in favor of Commissioner of Internal Revenue. Appealed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit as case no. 09-72165. Court of Appeals affirmed on July 22, 2011.

2. U.S. Tax Court, Case no. 009715-10, filed on April 27, 2010. Concerns tax year 2006. Decided June 9, 2011, in favor of Commissioner of Internal Revenue; sanctions were imposed on taxpayers by the Court on June 30, 2011.

3. U.S. Tax Court, Case no. 020500-11, filed on September 6, 2011, apparently by Mr. Mills only. No details available.

Now for some details......

On March 5, 2009, the Tax Court rendered its decision in a bench opinion by Judge Diane L. Kroupa in case number 003441-08:
This is a deficiency case in which petitioners contest that amounts petitioner husband (who shall be referred to individually as petitioner in this bench opinion) received for performing services for Keyes Acura [an automobile dealership in the Los Angeles area], a non-Federal entity, are not "wages" as defined in the Code, principles articulated by Peter Eric Hendrickson in his book entitled "Cracking the Code: The Fascinating Truth about Taxation in America."

[ . . .]

Petitioner worked as Keys Acura during each of the years at issue [2004 and 2005]. Each year petitioner earned approximately $80,000 at Keyes Acura and from which petitioner's employer, Keyes Acura, withheld Federal income tax as required by law.

[ . . . ]

Petitioners filed an amended return, Form 1040X, for each of the years at issue that eliminated the wages previously reported as income on Forms 1040 and sought a refund for all the Federal income taxes paid on those wages. In addition, petitioners attached a Form 4852 entitled "Substitute for W-2, Wage and Tax Statement." Petitioners prepared the substitute to report that petitioner's employer paid him zero in wages while keeping the withholding credits the same as reported on the Forms W-2 prepared by Keyes Acura, petitioner's employer.

[ . . .]

Petitioner seems to argue in a 2-page status report presented at trial that he is not a tax protestor. He is only a concerned citizen that questions why the IRS ignored petitioners' amended returns and therefore did not make a valid assessment against petitioners for either of the years at issue. Petitioner was very careful at trial to avoid answering direct questions from the Court. He cleverly responded that he did not know Peter Hendrickson personally. The Court finds as a fact that petitioners are followers of Mr. Hendrickson's Cracking the Code book [ . . . ]

Petitioners timely filed a petition with this Court asserting that they not only do not owe any taxes but [that] they are entitled to a refund of amounts collected. Petitioners ignored the expenses respondent disallowed in the deficiency notice[,] preferring instead to contest the broader issue that wages from a privately held company [such] as Keyes Acura are not taxable.

Respondent warned petitioners that their arguments have been repeatedly rejected by the courts. [ . . . ]

We therefore sustain respondent's determination in the deficiency notice.

We now address whether it is appropriate to impose a penalty against petitioners under section 6673 [ . . . ]

The Court senses that petitioner husband seeks to "protect" his spouse from his ridiculous arguments or "clarifications of the law." This he cannot do. The returns and amended returns for the years at issue are joint returns [ . . . . ]

Petitioners deserve a penalty under section 6673(a)(1), and that penalty should be substantial, if it is to have the desired deterrent effect [ . . . .] The purpose of section 6673 is to compel taxpayers to think and to conform their conduct to settled tax principles [ . . . ]

Pro se status, however, is not a license to litter the dockets of the Federal courts with ridiculous allegations concerning the Code [ . . . .] We therefore shall required petitioners to pay a penalty of $20,000 pursuant to section 6673(a)(1) considering the two years at issue [ . . . .]
--from Bench Op., March 5, 2009, David R. Mills and Morena I. Mills v. Commissioner, U.S. Tax Court, Docket # 003441-08.

Mr. and Mrs. Mills appealed to the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. In a brief filed with the Court of Appeals, Mr. & Mrs. Mills either alluded to or raised (among other things) the following:

1. The false argument that the U.S. Tax Court is "but another administrative branch of the IRS".

2. The false argument that the Tax Court was actually "representing" the IRS in the dispute.

3. The false argument that the IRS was required by section 93 of the Revenue Act of 1862 to accept the taxpayers' returns as correct.

4. The false argument that the IRS "has no authority to determine the amount of income on the 1040 or 1040X, only the rate of tax (assessment) on the amount of liability declared thereon."

5. Apparently, the false argument that the IRS must have "personal knowledge" of the information used to prepare a return under section 6020(a) or section 6020(b) (the poor grammar made it a bit unclear exactly what Mr. and Mrs. Mills were asserting on this point).

At one point, Mr. and Mrs. Mills raised the following issue:
If the IRS has failed to timely process the most current, and therefore valid return, does the IRS have any standing to seek relief?
As have other tax protesters, Mr. and Mrs. Mills apparently forgot that the IRS did not need "standing" to "seek relief" in a Tax Court case such as this one. The IRS was not "seeking relief." It was Mr. and Mrs. Mills, not the IRS, who were the petitioners in the case.

Unfortunately for Mr. and Mrs. Mills, the above decision of the Tax Court was affirmed by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in case number 09-72165, on July 22, 2011. I don't see any reference in the documents as to exactly what the amount of the tax deficiency was.

On April 27, 2010, the taxpayers filed a Tax Court petition for their 2006 tax year. For this year, Mr. Mills grossed approximately $90,000 at Keyes Acura. The taxpayers filed a late return, attaching a Form 4852 in the usual Hendrickson "Cracking the Code" fashion, seeking refunds of all federal income taxes, Social Security taxes, and Medicare taxes withheld. The IRS determined a deficiency and various penalties (see below). On June 9, 2011, the Tax Court rendered its decision in case number 009715-10, referring at one point to the prior decision and the $20,000 in penalties previously imposed on the taxpayers. The Court again mentioned Peter Hendrickson and the Cracking the Code book. The Court stated:
By citing, out of context, selected text from the withholding tax provisions, petitioner concludes that only Federal employees are subject to the Federal income tax on their wages. Petitioner also argues that the income tax is an excise tax on the exercise of federal "privilege" and that he did not receive "wages."
In the June 9, 2011 decision, the Tax Court concluded that the income amounts earned by Mr. Mills in 2006 "constitute gross income." On June 30, 2011, the Tax Court made the following rulings with respect to tax year 2006 for Mr. and Mrs. Mills:

Tax deficiency: $18,471.00;
Section 6651(a)(2) penalty for failure to timely pay tax: $2,029.57;
Section 6651(a)(1) penalty for failure to timely file return: $3,149.33;
Section 6654(a) penalty for failure to timely make estimated payments: $638.87;
Section 6673 penalty (for frivolous litigation, etc., in Tax Court): $25,000.00.

Total for year 2006: $49,288.77

Against that total amount, Mr. and Mrs. Mills will of course be entitled to a credit for the amount of federal income tax withheld.

On September 6, 2011, Mr. Mills filed yet another Tax Court petition (case no. 020500-11). I have no further details, except that it appears that the wife did not join him on this one.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Re: Hendrickson's Heroes: David & Morena Mills

Post by Joey Smith »

But now they are probably living in a cardboard box outside the Los Angeles bus terminal and have no assets to levy, so WHO REALLY WON? :Axe: :Axe:
- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Footnote: The amounts in case no. 003441-08 were as follows:

year 2004
tax deficiency: $2,065
section 6662 addition: $413

year 2005
tax deficiency: $2,130
section 6662 addition: $426

As noted above, the section 6673 sanction imposed on the taxpayers in this case was $20,000.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

"Not a license to litter"

Rofl!
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Pro se status, however, is not a license to litter the dockets of the Federal courts with ridiculous allegations concerning the Code [ . . . .] We therefore shall required petitioners to pay a penalty of $20,000 pursuant to section 6673(a)(1) considering the two years at issue [ . . . .]
--from Bench Op., March 5, 2009, David R. Mills and Morena I. Mills v. Commissioner, U.S. Tax Court, Docket # 003441-08.
The Mills decision is nowhere published, altho it was affirmed (9th Cir July 12, 2011) 108 AFTR2d 5399, 2011 USTC ¶ 50533.

But the line about "license to litter" first appeared in Carey K. Parker & Mary E. Parker v. C.I.R. (5th Cir. May 13, 1997) 117 F.3d 785, 79 AFTR2d 2889, 97 USTC ¶ 50480.
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

fortinbras wrote:
The Mills decision is nowhere published, altho it was affirmed (9th Cir July 12, 2011) 108 AFTR2d 5399, 2011 USTC ¶ 50533.

But the line about "license to litter" first appeared in Carey K. Parker & Mary E. Parker v. C.I.R. (5th Cir. May 13, 1997) 117 F.3d 785, 79 AFTR2d 2889, 97 USTC ¶ 50480.
The Bench Opinion is available from the Tax Court docket here, as is the Decision.

(You probably know that but for those who don't.)
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Famspear wrote:Footnote: The amounts in case no. 003441-08 were as follows:

year 2004
tax deficiency: $2,065
section 6662 addition: $413

year 2005
tax deficiency: $2,130
section 6662 addition: $426

As noted above, the section 6673 sanction imposed on the taxpayers in this case was $20,000.
:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

Mills' Petition’s arguments wrote: Added paragraphs for readability

5. Explain why you disagree with the IRS determination in this case (please list each point separately):

The Form 4549, accompanying the Letter 3219(SC/CG) identified as Notice of Deficiency, doesn't contain information derived from my timely filed 1040.

The unsigned form, purported by examiner ID# 10009936, appears to be an SFR, which is not provided for in the tax code where an original, sworn return has been timely filed.

Any party who claims personal knowledge contradicting that filed in my sworn return of information for 2009, must swear under penalty of perjury to any such claims or their testimony is without standing to contest my sworn declaration.

As in my sworn return for 2009, a refund of overpayment in the amount of $8 951 is due me with interest accrued by law.

Any erroneous presumptions, relied upon by IRS, have been timely corrected m my original filing.

Regulations require refund in the manner requested in original filing, with interest from 45 days of IRS receipt thereof.

6. State the facts upon which you rely (please list each point separately):

The governing Statute at Large, known as the Tax Act, July 1, 1862, ch.119 section 93 states clearly, "That any party, in his own behalf, shall be permitted to declare, under oath, that he was not possessed of an income, liable to be assessed according to the provisions of this act, and shall thereupon be exempt from an income duty; and the same so declared shall be received as the sum upon which duties are to be assessed and collected "

Title 26, the IRC, while never codified, still exhibits this governing law at Subtitle F, Chapter 63, Subchapter A, section 6201(a)(d).

As a matter of law, Congress use of the word shall is a mandatory requirement upon Congress creation, the CIR, and it's delegates. There is no ambiguity in the language chosen in the statute expressing Congress clear intent, and the court is governed by the same.
26USC6201(d) wrote: (d) Required reasonable verification of information returns
In any court proceeding, if a taxpayer asserts a reasonable dispute with respect to any item of income reported on an information return filed with the Secretary under subpart B or C of part III of subchapter A of chapter 61 by a third party and the taxpayer has fully cooperated with the Secretary (including providing, within a reasonable period of time, access to and inspection of all witnesses, information, and documents within the control of the taxpayer as reasonably requested by the Secretary), the Secretary shall have the burden of producing reasonable and probative information concerning such deficiency in addition to such information return.
Aside from the highlighted requirements in 6201, the Secretary’s burden is extremely light considering the Court’s presumptions concerning payment records produced by an employer.

Mills (1) filed the petition in his name only -- did she leave him? -- and (2) seems to be bent on :brickwall:
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

1862, baby!

It'll work!

Then again, maybe not.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

I love the way the "Stand Tall Warriors" operate. When asked direct questions in open court about Peter Hendrickson, Mr. Mills was evasive. Mills couldn't even bring himself to admit in open court that he was a follower of Hendrickson -- and the Court responded by expressly making a finding of fact that Mills is indeed a follower of Hendrickson.

Other wackadoosters at the losthorizons web site, in discussing how to deal with IRS personnel, have seized upon the "just don't take a position -- take a neutral position!" tactic.

Similarly, some of Hendrickson's Heroes (e.g., Patrick Michael Mooney) falsely believe that if they can just avoid stating the Cracking the Code position in the tax return itself, the section 6702 frivolous return penalty should not apply. Yet, nothing in section 6702 states that a taxpayer must expressly state the frivolous position in the return itself for the penalty to apply.

Reading comprehension is not a strong point for Hendrickson's Heroes, as as group.

These avoidance tactics are the tactics of losers.

Stand Tall, Losers!
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Saying
Reading comprehension is not a strong point for Hendrickson's Heroes
is like saying the San Francisco quake of '06 was a mild tremor! Actually comprehension in general is in pretty much the same boat from all evidence to date when it comes right down to it.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

I think the best example of their legal/reasoning skills is the argument that the IRS has no standing to make statements in tax court, when they filed against the IRS.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.