Pablo Stuck with FrivPen

LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Pablo Stuck with FrivPen

Post by LPC »

The Fourth Circuit has affirmed a Tax Court judgment against David Diemer, who allegedly posts as Pablo Rodriquez on Lost Horizons, allowing the IRS to proceed with collection of a $5,000 frivolous return penalty and imposing sanctions of $2,500.

David C. Diemer v. Commissioner, No. 11-1522 (4th Cir. 10/4/2011), aff'ng No. 13123-10 L (Tax Ct. 2/16/2011).
4th Circuit wrote:DAVID C. DIEMER,
Petitioner - Appellant,
v.
COMMISSIONER OF INTERNAL REVENUE,
Respondent - Appellee.

UNPUBLISHED

UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS
FOR THE FOURTH CIRCUIT

Appeal from the United States Tax Court. (13123-10L)

Submitted: September 29, 2011

Decided: October 4, 2011

Before KING, GREGORY, and DUNCAN, Circuit Judges.

Affirmed by unpublished per curiam opinion.

David C. Diemer, Appellant Pro Se. Gilbert Steven Rothenberg,
Deputy Assistant Attorney General, Robert William Metzler,
Laurie Allyn Snyder, UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE,
Tax Division, Washington, D.C., for Appellee.

Unpublished opinions are not binding precedent in this circuit.

PER CURIAM:

David C. Diemer appeals the tax court's order sustaining the Commissioner's collection determination and imposing sanctions pursuant to I.R.C. § 6673 (2006). We have reviewed the record and the tax's court opinion and find no reversible error. Accordingly, we affirm for the reasons stated by the tax court. Diemer v. Comm'r of Internal Revenue, Tax Ct. No. 13123-10L (U.S. Tax Ct. Feb. 16, 2011). We dispense with oral argument because the facts and legal contentions are adequately presented in the materials before the court and argument would not aid the decisional process.

AFFIRMED
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
LPC

Re: Pablo Stuck with FrivPen?

Post by LPC »

The Tax Court decision:
Tax Court wrote:RMM
UNITED STATES TAX COURT
WASHINGTON, DC 20217

DAVID C. DIEMER,
Petitioner,
v.
COMMISSIONER OF INTERNAL REVENUE,
Respondent

Docket No. 13123-10 L.

ORDER AND DECISION

On January 6, 2011, respondent filed a motion for summary judgment and a motion for penalty under I.R.C. section 6673. On January 27, 2011, petitioner filed responses to respondent's motions.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) determined that petitioner filed a frivolous Federal income tax return for 2007 and assessed a $5,000 frivolous return penalty pursuant to I.R.C. section 6702(a). Petitioner failed to pay the penalty, and the IRS sent petitioner a Final Notice of Intent to Levy and Notice of Your Right to a Hearing. Petitioner timely requested a collection due process hearing and challenged the assessment of the frivolous return penalty. The settlement officer assigned to petitioner's case concluded in a notice of determination that the IRS validly assessed the frivolous return penalty pursuant to I.R.C. section 6702(a) and that collection activity should proceed. Petitioner then filed a petition with this Court challenging the underlying tax liability. This case is before the Court on respondent's Motion for Summary Judgment and respondent's Motion for Penalty under I.R.C. Section 6673. We have jurisdiction under I.R.C. section 6330(d) (1) to review a notice of determination where the underlying tax liability consists of a frivolous return penalty. See Callahan v. Commissioner, 130 T.C. 44, 48-49 (2008).

Petitioner filed with the IRS Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, for 2007. He reported adjusted gross income of $90,249 and Federal income tax withheld of $11,045, both numbers consistent with the Forms W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, petitioner received from his two employers. Shortly thereafter petitioner filed Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, and amended his 2007 return to show adjusted gross income of $0 and Federal income tax withheld of $17,949. Petitioner attached to his 2007 amended tax return Forms 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, on which he stated that "The company issued forms incorrectly listing payments of 'wages as defined in [I.R.C. §§] 3401(a) and 3121(a)'. The amounts listed as withheld on the W-2 it submitted are correct, however."

Under I.R.C. section 6702, a $5,000 civil penalty may be assessed against a taxpayer if: (1) The taxpayer files a document that purports to be an income tax return; (2) the purported return lacks the information needed to judge the substantial correctness of the self-assessment or contains information indicating the self-assessment is substantially incorrect; and (3) the taxpayer's position is frivolous or demonstrates a desire (which appears on the purported return) to delay or impede the administration of Federal income tax laws. Petitioner filed an amended income tax return that contained information indicating that the self-assessment was substantially incorrect. See Blaga v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2010-170. Additionally, petitioner's arguments that wages do not constitute taxable income under I.R.C. sections 3401 and 3121 and that his private sector earnings are not taxable by the Federal government have long been considered frivolous positions. See id.; Pabon v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 1994-476. Accordingly, there are no material facts in dispute, and respondent is entitled to summary judgment as a matter of law.

I.R.C. section 6673 allows for the Court to impose a penalty on a taxpayer of up to $25,000 if the taxpayer's position in the proceeding is frivolous or groundless. At no point has petitioner asserted a legitimate argument as to how the IRS erred in assessing the frivolous return penalty or determining that collection activity should proceed. In addition to petitioner's frivolous arguments mentioned above, petitioner argued throughout the administrative proceedings, in his petition, and in his response to respondent's motion for summary judgment that he is not a "person" as defined in I.R.C. section 6671(b). Petitioner advanced frivolous arguments despite being warned by respondent that petitioner's arguments were frivolous and that respondent would seek a penalty under I.R.C. section 6673 if petitioner continued to advance them. Because of petitioner's persistence in asserting frivolous arguments, a penalty under I.R.C. section 6673(a) (1) of $2,500 is appropriate. Upon due consideration and for cause, it is

ORDERED that respondent's motion for summary judgment, filed January 6, 2011, is granted, and this case is stricken for trial from the Winston-Salem, North Carolina trial session of the Court. It is further

ORDERED that respondent's motion for penalty under I.R.C. section 6673, filed January 6, 2011, is granted. It is further

ORDERED and DECIDED that respondent may proceed with the collection activities as determined in the notice of determination concerning collection activities for the taxable year 2007 upon which this case is based; and

That petitioner shall pay to the United States a penalty in the amount of $2,500 under I.R.C. section 6673.

(Signed) Juan F. Vasquez
Judge

Entered: FEB 16 2011
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
LPC

Post by LPC »

Diemer's version of his CDPH can be found here.

In another posting:
David Diemer wrote:Here's something to consider... Over at the CtC forum, I've shown them research that was posted by Rose in a prior post, to wit:

a) Did you know pursuant to 44 U.S.C.A. §§1504-1507, before a citizen of the several states of the United States can be bound by, or adversely affected by a law or regulation, any law having general applicability to such Citizens, must be published in the Federal Register? Such laws and regulations are then categorized pursuant to their applicable Title in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR).

b) Regulatory authority is found under 26 U.S.C. §7805(a) "…the Secretary shall prescribe all needful rules and regulations for the enforcement of this title." The Internal Revenue Code is not self-executing. Without an implementing regulation, applicable to a particular type of tax, a statute has no force of law, and imposes no duties or penalties.

c) It appears IRC Section 6702 was NEVER implemented into a regulation by the Secretary. Could it be you are misapplying the penalty intended for CERTAIN "internal" purposes only?

d) Even the Supreme Court discussed how penalties can be imposed: in Calif. Bankers Assoc. v. Shultz, 416 U.S. 25, 44, 39 Led2d 812, 94 S Ct 1494, the court stated, "…The Act's [IRC] civil and criminal penalties attach only upon the violation of a regulation promulgated by the Secretary; if the Secretary were to do nothing, the Act itself would impose no penalties on
anyone…only those who violate the regulations (not the Code) may incur civil or criminal penalties, it is the actual regulation issued by the Secretary of the Treasury and not the broad authorizing language of the statute, which is to be tested against the standards of the 4th Amendment."

However, there are those who say that in the case of Title 26, the law is generally self-implementing, that is, no implementing regulations need to be written: the implementing regulations only need to be written when the law states that the Secretary has to write a regulation to implement it.

Who's interpretation is correct: Rose or the CtC forum? What's your opinion?

(BTW, I'm in favor or Rose's but I'm a newbie).
Unfortunately, the above appears to predate the last time the Lost Horizons forum was wiped clean, so I can't match the above to a posting there by Pablo, but I'm pretty sure it is the same guy.
Dan Evans
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: Pablo Stuck with FrivPen

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Another clear case of fraud by a corrupt court which is afraid to deal with the truths in Cracking the Code.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Looks like "Pablo's" web site (www dot taxreturnteam dot com) has been terminated.

We recall that in November 2009, "Pablo Rodriguez" (or, apparently, David Diemer) was trying to use Blowhard Hendrickson's Cracking the Code-losthorizons web site to drum up business for himself at taxreturnteam dot com. He was later banned by the Blowhard Himself.

As an example, here's what "Pablo" posted at losthorizons on November 19, 2009:
......It is my contention that if we begin dealing with the IRS from day one with the appellate court in mind, it's more likely we won't end up there. I'm not a lawyer, a paralegal, nor do I have any formal studies in law school; I'm just an informed citizen. But if I can be of any assistance to you in your battle for the rule of law, you can contact me at [email address redacted], and I'll see what the Team can do for you.....
Apparently Pablo was not "informed" after all; the Team couldn't do anything. What a surprise.

:cry:
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Oh, but wait!

What's this?

Check out www dot taxresponseteam dot org
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

pablo wrote:I'm not a lawyer, a paralegal, nor do I have any formal studies in law school; I'm just an informed citizen.
Well, he was at least, if unintentionally, being truthful in the first part, he just sorta over spoke on the last little bit, and it finally came back to bite him big time.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
LPC

Post by LPC »

Tax Court wrote:In addition to petitioner's frivolous arguments mentioned above, petitioner argued throughout the administrative proceedings, in his petition, and in his response to respondent's motion for summary judgment that he is not a "person" as defined in I.R.C. section 6671(b).
The website that Famspear pointed to above has a copy of Diemer's "research paper" on the meaning of "person," and the semantic tap-dancing is even more tedious than usual.

His conclusion, based on cases interpreting the meaning of "responsible person" for employment tax purposes, is that a "person" under section 6671(b) is not limited to corporate officers, but there still has to be some connection to a corporation creating a duty to file returns on behalf of the corporation.

What a maroon.

Towards the end of the paper, he has a section titled "Our Experience in Tax Court" with the following:
David Diemer wrote:Youʼll see the judge actually claim that denying that you are a “person” pursuant to § 6671(b) is a frivolous position and fine the petitioner $2,500 for wasting the courtʼs time.
Do tell.
Dan Evans
notorial dissent

And yet somehow, that bit of insight failed to make any further in to the dim recesses of what passes for his mind.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

David Diemer wrote:Youʼll see the judge actually claim that denying that you are a “person” pursuant to § 6671(b) is a frivolous position and fine the petitioner $2,500 for wasting the courtʼs time.
This kind of stuff illustrates part of Diemer's problem. It's partially an attitude problem.

Dear Mr. Diemer: The judge isn't "claiming" anything. You're the one claiming. The judge is making a ruling.

The judge knows how to interpret the law, Mr. Diemer. You don't.

The judge is the one with the authority here, Mr. Diemer. Not you.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Famspear wrote:
This kind of stuff illustrates part of Diemer's problem. It's partially an attitude problem.

Dear Mr. Diemer: The judge isn't "claiming" anything. You're the one claiming. The judge is making a ruling.

The judge knows how to interpret the law, Mr. Diemer. You don't.

The judge is the one with the authority here, Mr. Diemer. Not you.
As Charles P. Pierce might say, "welcome to Idiot America", in which an expert is to be mistrusted because he is an expert, and therefore an elitist who thinks he is better than the people who appear before him. One man's edjiccashun is just as good as the next man's education.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
notorial dissent

I think idjit is the beginning and end of it. The majority of these "experts" seem to have basic reading comprehension difficulties, to the point that they cannot or will not read a definition and take head of it, but insist on either totally misreading it, or reading it to suit themselves rather than what it actually says. Pablo seems to be a prime example of this, along with his former mentor.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

I have to say I'm mildly surprised that Pablo actually practices what he preaches (and sells), I have all along been leaning towards him not buying a word of it, filing perfectly normal tax returns behind the sheep's back and just raking up on the fees from the rubes. Oh well, if not him, you just know the person I described is out there somewhere.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Over at the very near-dead codebusters dot org web site, Hendrickson follower Harold O'Boyle (who uses the handles "Lysander Venible" and "LysanderV" (and who was a witness at one of Doreen Hendrickson's trials), Weston White (anyone remember him?) and "TDL" (or "TranscriptsDontLie") had some communication this week about David Diemer (aka "Pablo"). They were wondering what ever became of Pablo's web site (apparently now gone), where he pushed his frivolous nonsense about federal taxes.

On March 29, 2016, "LysanderV" wrote:
I've spoken to Pablo recently. The site just got to be too much time and money for him to continue. Subscriptions never even covered costs, and the time he had to devote to it was more than he could manage.

:cry:
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Subscriptions never even covered costs
People who refuse to pay their taxes are cheap? Who'dathunkit?
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Famspear wrote:...Weston White (anyone remember him?)
Weaksauce? I have wondered what he has been up to. He used to come here to defend Hendrickson, but then he just disappeared...about the time all those refund checks from the CtC filers started resulting in extra IRS attention.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

I recall that Weston White finally got fed up with Haughty Hendrickson and engaged in a lot of angry (but justified) ranting about the Fabulous Felon. Despite being delusional about Federal tax law, eventually Weston came to realize that Hendrickson is a liar and that Hendrickson had little regard for the forum members at lost horizons.

At one point back in April 2009 in this forum, Weston claimed to have used Hendrickson's Cracking the Code scam on tax returns for himself and his wife for 1998 through 2008, and to have had $110,000 in frivolous return penalties asserted against him.

A few years ago, I found Weston White's real name (which in fairness I won't reveal here at this time) and, once in a blue moon, I still check to see if he is the subject of any court cases (so far, none that I have found). For a while, Weston was the source of seemingly endless hours of comedy.

As did David Diemer (Pablo), Weston reported that Hendrickson eventually banned him from posting at the lost horizons web site.
notorial dissent

Famspear, I think you're being over generous, I never saw any indication or evidence that the fartulous felon ever cared one jot for any of the inmates.