TPs Getting More Sophisticated In Trying To Avoid FrivPen?

The Observer
Further Moderator

TPs Getting More Sophisticated In Trying To Avoid FrivPen?

Post by The Observer »

There is nothing in this case citation that conclusively points to the petitioner as being a tax protester (unless you accept as fact that anyone named "Eldo" has to be a tax protester). Added to the arena of reasonable doubt is the surprising fact that he hired an attorney, or what passes for an attorney to show up in court (even though Eldo failed to do so).

Given the above, however, I still submit this case to the Quatloosian Star Chamber for consideration: If they sound like a TP, act like a TP, smell like a TP, are they a TP? In my honest opinion, it appears that Eldo was doing everything he could to make a TP argument without actually trespassing over the line into FrivPenistan.

ELDO KLINGENBERG,
Petitioner
v.
COMMISSIONER OF INTERNAL REVENUE,
Respondent

Published by Tax Analysts(R)

UNITED STATES TAX COURT

Filed October 20, 2011

P filed a petition for review of a lien filing pursuant
to sec. 6320, I.R.C., in response to R's determination
that the collection action was appropriate.

Held: R's determination is sustained.

Gary L. Zerman, for petitioner.

Najah J. Shariff, for respondent.

MEMORANDUM FINDINGS OF FACT AND OPINION

WHERRY, Judge: This case is before the Court on a petition filed on August 10, 2009, for review of a Notice of Determination Concerning Collection Action(s) Under Section 6320 and/or 6330 (notice of determination). 1 Petitioner seeks review of respondent's determination to proceed with his filed tax lien.

The collection action stems from a substitute for return respondent prepared pursuant to section 6020(b) for petitioner's 2005 tax year. The issue for decision is whether respondent's settlement officer abused his discretion in determining the proposed collection action was appropriate.

FINDINGS OF FACT

Some of the facts have been stipulated. The stipulations, with accompanying exhibits, are incorporated herein by this reference. At the time the petition was filed, petitioner resided in California.

Petitioner is a self-employed plumber who holds a plumbing contractor's license issued in 1977. He is also a habitual nonfiler who last filed a Federal income tax return for tax year 1990. 2 For tax year 2005 petitioner neither filed a Federal income tax return nor made any payments on his account.

On September 10, 2007, respondent filed a substitute for return under section 6020(b) for petitioner's 2005 tax year. The substitute for return showed income of $ 2,194 from "Stock and Bond Transaction Proceeds" and $ 59,733 from "Nonemployee Compensation". It also listed a section 6651(a)(1) failure to file addition to tax of $ 3,934.34, a section 6651(a)(2) failure to pay addition to tax of $ 1,486.31, a section 6654 failure to pay estimated tax addition to tax of $ 701.41, and interest, computed to October 10, 2007, of $ 2,846.71.

At trial respondent introduced a copy of petitioner's "Wage and Income Transcript" corroborating the income shown on the substitute for return. It shows a Form 1099-B, Proceeds From Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions, listing the payer as "Computershare Shareholders Services Inc" and indicating that the recipient, petitioner, received $ 2,194 of income from "Stocks and Bonds". It also shows two Forms 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income, one showing "Mojave Desert Bank N. A." as the payer and petitioner as the recipient of $ 53,916 of "Non-Employee Compensation" and the other showing "Metzler Construction" as the payer and petitioner as the recipient of $ 5,817 of "Non-Employee Compensation".

On November 13, 2007, respondent sent petitioner a notice of deficiency for his 2005 tax year by certified mail to his last known address. Petitioner's address has not changed since 2005. Petitioner did not petition the Court for redetermination of the deficiency. On March 24, 2008, respondent assessed a deficiency of $ 17,486, delinquency-related additions to tax of $ 6,032.67, and an estimated tax addition to tax of $ 701.41 for the 2005 tax year.

On June 12, 2008, respondent mailed petitioner a Letter 3172, Notice of Federal Tax Lien Filing and Your Right to A Hearing under IRC 6320, advising that respondent had on the same day filed a notice of Federal tax lien (NFTL) for tax year 2005. Respondent received petitioner's Form 12153, Request for a Collection Due Process Hearing, dated July 16, 2008, on July 23, 2008. 3 In this Form 12153 petitioner had checked the box for withdrawal of the tax lien. In an attachment to the Form 12153 petitioner requested a face-to-face hearing and seemed to question the validity of the assessment of his 2005 tax liability, claiming that "I don't believe I am liable for the assess [sic] tax seeing that I NEVER had a chance to challenge it before". In the alternative, petitioner asserted, inter alia that

If this liability is indeed a proper assessment and
can be proven that it is authentic and owed, I would
like to discuss what collection alternatives are
available to me, to include, but not limited to Offer
in Compromise, Installment Agreements, and any other
payment arrangements that may be available to me

On October 3, 2008, respondent informed petitioner that he had received the case for consideration in the Los Angeles Appeals Office on September 5, 2008. Then on April 15, 2009, Settlement Officer Patrick S. Lin (Officer Lin) sent petitioner a letter acknowledging receipt of petitioner's Form 12153 requesting a CDP hearing and scheduling a telephone CDP hearing on May 1, 2009. In that letter, Officer Lin advised petitioner that if that date was not convenient for him, or if he would prefer that the conference be held by correspondence, petitioner was to inform Officer Lin within 14 days of the date of the letter.

Officer Lin's April 15, 2009, letter also explained that

You will be allowed a face-to-face conference upon
providing the following documents: (a) a Collection
Information Statement (CIS) for Wage Earners & Self-Employed
Individuals (Form 433A); (b) a CIS for Business (Form
433B) for your plumbing business; & (c) supplemental
financial information/documents listed on CIS's Forms
433A & 433B and are ready to discuss any nonfrivolous
issue, including collection alternatives to resolve
your liability.

The letter cautioned petitioner in bold type that

You will be allowed a face-to-face conference on
any nonfrivolous issue; however you will need to
provide the nonfrivolous issue in writing or by calling
me within 14 days from the date of this letter (i.e
., by 04/29/2009) before a face-to-face conference
will be scheduled.

Officer Lin also explained to petitioner that eligibility for collection alternatives required that petitioner file tax returns for tax years 2006 and 2007 and verify that his 2008 and 2009 estimated tax payments had been made.

On April 17, 2009, Officer Lin accessed the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) Web site in order to confirm that the deficiency notice had been delivered to petitioner. Officer Lin's activity record states that the "SND [statutory notice of deficiency] was delivered to TP's UPS Store mail box on 11/21/2007 at 11:40 a.m.", which his testimony credibly corroborated at trial.

At the appointed time, Officer Lin called petitioner for the CDP telephone conference. Unable to reach petitioner, Officer Lin left a voicemail. On that same day, May 1, 2009, Officer Lin mailed petitioner a followup letter. That letter set forth petitioner's failure to participate in the scheduled CDP telephone conference and noted his failure to comply with the requirements for collection alternatives eligibility. In this letter Officer Lin asked petitioner to "please contact me by Friday, 05/08/2009 and to provide me with the documents listed in my 04/15/2009 letter, also by 05/08/2009". The letter further warned petitioner that "If no response to this letter is received by 05/08/2009, a Notice of Determination will be issued to sustain the filing of the Notice of Federal Tax Lien (NFTL)."

On May 4, 2009, Officer Lin received an undated letter from petitioner postmarked April 29, 2009, in which petitioner stated he was "responding to your letter dated April 15, 2009, regarding the tax year 2005". Petitioner stated that "I will not be able to participate in this telephone conference you scheduled for May 1, 2009", but offered the hope that "we can agree on another date, sometime in the near future".

Petitioner's undated letter made it clear that he was interested only in a face-to-face CDP hearing. First he demanded that Officer Lin provide "the rules and procedures that were followed to determine I was not qualified for a face-to-face hearing." He then stated:

I am fully aware that Face-to-Face Conferences are
available for taxpayers to raise valid collection
alternatives or other relevant issues pertaining
to the lien and levy. Please understand that I have
every intention to discuss relevant issues, so please
do not expect that collection alternatives to be
the only relevant issue that will be discussed. I
expect this hearing to be conducted according to
the IRS' own rules and regulations. As such, I trust
that I would be able to dispute the liability in
the CDP Hearing, because I had no prior opportunity
to dispute it

Petitioner also explained that he did "not recall receiving a notice of deficiency * * *. Please provide proof as to where the Notice of Deficiency was mailed and proof that I received it."

On May 4, 2009, Officer Lin responded to petitioner's undated letter, reiterating that a face-to-face CDP hearing would require that petitioner provide completed Forms 433-A, Collection Information Statement for Wage Earners and Self-Employed Individuals, and 433-B, Collection Information Statement for Businesses, along with supplemental financial information and documents listed on those forms and communicate a nonfrivolous issue. Officer Lin further explained that the Internal Revenue Manual (IRM) prohibited face-to-face hearings for taxpayers who do not present any nonfrivolous arguments. Officer Lin then set a final deadline of May 12, 2009, for petitioner to provide the requested documents.

Petitioner did not respond to Officer Lin's May 4, 2009, letter or comply with the May 12, 2009, deadline. Officer Lin then prepared an Appeals case memorandum on May 19, 2009, sustaining the filing of the NFTL, and on May 22, 2009, respondent issued petitioner a notice of determination to that effect.

On August 10, 2009, petitioner timely filed a petition with the Court in which he stated that "Respondent failed to provide Petitioner with a face-to-face Collection Due Process (CDP) Hearing, which Petitioner requested to have audio recorded. Petitioner was also not given the chance to challenge the underlying tax liability or collection alternatives."

On April 14, 2010, respondent filed a motion for summary judgment, and on April 16, 2010, this Court ordered petitioner to file a response to the motion by May 10, 2010. On June 2, 2010, petitioner lodged petitioner's objection to respondent's motion for summary judgment and filed a motion for leave to file it out of time. On June 9, 2010, this Court granted petitioner's motion to accept petitioner's objection to respondent's motion for summary judgment out of time and denied respondent's motion for summary judgment. A trial was held on June 17, 2010, in Los Angeles, California. Petitioner did not personally appear at the trial.

OPINION

I. Standard of Review

Section 6330(c)(2)(B) permits challenges to the existence or amount of the underlying liability in collection proceedings only where the taxpayer did not receive a notice of deficiency or otherwise have an opportunity to challenge the liability. If the validity of the underlying tax is not properly at issue, we will review the Commissioner's administrative determination for abuse of discretion. Goza v. Commissioner, 114 T.C. 176, 181-182 (2000). However, where the validity of the underlying tax liability is properly at issue, the Court will review the matter on a de novo basis. 4 Id.

A. Administrative Record Rule

Petitioner argues that the administrative record rule, in which the Court's review is limited solely to the administrative record, applies. Petitioner objects to the "plethora of evidence on this appeal" this Court supposedly allowed.

This Court held in Robinette v. Commissioner, 123 T.C. 85, 101 (2004), revd. 439 F.3d 455 (8th Cir. 2006), that we are not limited to the administrative record in reviewing CDP determinations. However, under the Golsen rule, we follow the law of the Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, to which this case, absent a stipulation to the contrary, is appealable. See Golsen v. Commissioner, 54 T.C. 742, 757 (1970), affd. 445 F.2d 985 (10th Cir. 1971). That court has limited the review of the administrative determination to the administrative record. See Keller v. Commissioner, 568 F.3d 710, 718 (9th Cir. 2009) ("our review is confined to the record at the time the Commissioner's decision was rendered"), affg. T.C. Memo. 2006-166 (and affg. and vacating decisions in related cases). Therefore, the administrative record rule applies in this case.

There is an exception to the administrative record rule in the Ninth Circuit by which "The extra-record inquiry is limited to determining whether the agency has considered all relevant factors and has explained its decision." Friends of the Payette v. Horseshoe Bend Hydroelectric Co., 988 F.2d 989, 997 (9th Cir. 1993). In Asarco, Inc. v. EPA, 616 F.2d 1153, 1159 (9th Cir. 1980), the Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit explained that

A satisfactory explanation of agency action is essential
for adequate judicial review, because the focus of
judicial review is not on the wisdom of the agency's
decision, but on whether the process employed by
the agency to reach its decision took into consideration
all the relevant factors.

Although on brief petitioner objects, the testimony of Officer Lin explaining on what and why he made his administrative determinations is not extrarecord evidence. The processes employed by the settlement officer who made the administrative determination and the documents that respondent had admitted during Officer Lin's testimony (i.e., on what he based his determinations) are part of the administrative record. The mere fact that petitioner did not stipulate the documents does not remove them from the administrative record.

The testimony of Steven De La Cruz from the USPS falls squarely within the exception enunciated by the Court of Appeals discussed above. His testimony merely explained the mechanics of certified mail to the Court. It is clear from Officer Lin's testimony that he already had such knowledge and it was part of his administrative determination.

B. Whether Petitioner Received a Notice of Deficiency

Petitioner argues that he never had an opportunity to dispute his underlying tax liability. In his undated letter to Officer Lin, petitioner stated that he could "not recall receiving a notice of deficiency". However, petitioner never expressly stated that he did not receive the notice of deficiency.

The presumption of official regularity and delivery arises if the record reflects that the notice of deficiency was properly mailed to the taxpayer. Sego v. Commissioner, 114 T.C. 604, 611 (2000); see also United States v. Zolla, 724 F.2d 808 (9th Cir. 1984). Proper mailing includes mailing by certified mail to the taxpayer's last known address. Sego v. Commissioner, supra at 611. If the presumption applies, this Court may find that petitioner received the notice if he fails to rebut the presumption. See Conn v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2008-186. Where the presumption of official regularity and delivery arises, receipt of the notice of deficiency will be presumed in the absence of strong evidence to the contrary. A taxpayer's self-serving claim that he did not receive a notice of deficiency will generally be insufficient to rebut the presumption. Casey v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2009-131.

Respondent has shown that the notice of deficiency was mailed by certified mail to petitioner's last known mailing address, which is also his current mailing address. The notice of deficiency was not returned to respondent as undeliverable, and Officer Lin testified that he personally checked the USPS Web site for delivery confirmation. Therefore, respondent is entitled to the presumption of official regularity.

At trial, petitioner's counsel, handicapped by the fact that petitioner did not appear, made much ado about nothing. He repeatedly asked Officer Lin why he did not contact the Postal Service for a scanned image of the signature. 5 Officer Lin explained that his Appeals Office does not have the budget to pay for the scanned image and the Web site verification is free. Officer Lin also explained that he had even given petitioner the opportunity to verify delivery for himself by including the tracking number of the notice of deficiency in his May 4, 2009, letter.

We find that petitioner received the notice of deficiency and therefore we will review respondent's administrative determination for abuse of discretion. See Sego v. Commissioner, supra at 610; Goza v. Commissioner, 114 T.C. at 181.

II. Review for Abuse of Discretion

Section 6320(a) and (b) provides that a taxpayer shall be notified in writing by the Commissioner of the filing of a notice of Federal tax lien and provided with an opportunity for an administrative hearing. An administrative hearing under section 6320 is conducted in accordance with the procedural requirements of section 6330. Sec. 6320(c).

If an administrative hearing is requested, the hearing is to be conducted by the Appeals Office. Secs. 6320(b)(1), 6330(b)(1). At the hearing, the Appeals officer conducting it must verify that the requirements of any applicable law or administrative procedure have been met. Secs. 6320(c), 6330(c)(1). The taxpayer may raise any relevant issue with regard to the Commissioner's intended collection activities, including spousal defenses, challenges to the appropriateness of the proposed lien, and alternative means of collection. Sec. 6330(c)(2)(A); see also Sego v. Commissioner, supra at 609; Goza v. Commissioner, supra at 180. Taxpayers are expected to provide all relevant information requested by Appeals, including financial statements, for its consideration of the facts and issues involved in the hearing. Secs. 301.6320-1(e)(1), 301.6330-1(e)(1), Proced. & Admin. Regs.

A. Denial of a Face-to-Face Hearing

Petitioner repeatedly argues that he was entitled to a face-to-face hearing. Although a section 6330 hearing may consist of a face-to-face conference, a proper hearing may also occur by telephone or by correspondence under certain circumstances. Lunsford v. Commissioner, 117 T.C. 183, 189 (2001); Katz v. Commissioner, 115 T.C. 329, 337-338 (2000); sec. 301.6330-1(d)(2), Q&A-D6, Proced. & Admin. Regs.

Petitioner never raised any nonfrivolous issue. He repeatedly demanded that Officer Lin explain the procedures or laws that were followed and argued that he did not have the opportunity to contest the underlying liability. However, petitioner never presented any evidence that the underlying liability was incorrect, nor did he suggest an offer-in-compromise or submit any of the requested financial information.

B. Denial of Offer-in-Compromise

Among the issues that may be raised at Appeals are "offers of collection alternatives", such as offers-in-compromise. Sec. 6330(c)(2)(A)(iii). The Court reviews the Appeals officer's rejection of an offer-in-compromise to decide whether the rejection was arbitrary, capricious, or without sound basis in fact or law and therefore an abuse of discretion. Murphy v. Commissioner, 125 T.C. 301, 320 (2005), affd. 469 F.3d 27 (1st Cir. 2006).

Section 7122(a) authorizes the Commissioner to compromise any civil case arising under the internal revenue laws. In general, the decision to accept or reject an offer, as well as the terms and conditions agreed to, are left to the discretion of the Commissioner. Sec. 301.7122-1(c)(1), Proced. & Admin. Regs.

Even if petitioner's statement on his attachment to Form 12153 that he "would like to discuss what collection alternatives are available to me, to include, but not limited to Offer in Compromise, Installment Agreements, and any other payment arrangements that may be available to me" could somehow be construed as an informal offer or an offer to make an offer, Officer Lin did not abuse his discretion in refusing to process the offer. Because petitioner had not filed his 2006 and 2007 Federal income tax returns, he did not qualify for an offer-incompromise. See IRM pt. 5.8.7.2.2.1(1) (May 10, 2011) ("A processable offer must be returned when the investigation reveals the taxpayer has not remained in filing compliance."); see also Rodriguez v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2003-153 ("The Commissioner's decision not to process an offer in compromise or a proposed collection alternative from taxpayers who have not filed all required tax returns is not an abuse of discretion.").

Respondent did not abuse his discretion. In making his determination Officer Lin verified that all requirements of applicable law and administrative procedure had been met. Petitioner never offered a concrete collection alternative or raised any nonfrivolous issues and did not provide the requested Forms 433-A and 433-B or any other financial information or testify at trial.

The Court has considered all of petitioner's contentions, arguments, requests, and statements. To the extent not discussed herein, the Court concludes that they are meritless, moot, or irrelevant.

To reflect the foregoing,

Decision will be entered for respondent.

FOOTNOTES:

/1/ Unless otherwise indicated, all section references are to the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.

/2/ Respondent has introduced a coded transcript commonly referred to as an "INFOLI [sic] transcript". The Court has admitted this exhibit on the basis of testimonial evidence as to the meaning of this transcript by Appeals Officer Patrick Lin, who is now retired from the Internal Revenue Service. However, in the future this Judge will be reluctant to admit a coded transcript that does not include the codes, particularly when a certified plain English transcript should be available.

/3//The parties stipulated that petitioner's collection due process (CDP) hearing request was timely filed. The CDP hearing request was received on July 23, 2008, which is after the statutory deadline for filing. However, there is no evidence in the record of when the request was mailed. As petitioner's petition was timely filed with this Court and we do not look behind the notice of determination, this has no effect on this Court's jurisdiction. See Lunsford v. Commissioner, 117 T.C. 159, 164-165 (2001).

/4/ On brief petitioner somewhat bafflingly argues that "the Tax Court erroneously conducted a de novo review of the CDPH and allowed the government to attempt to establish receipt of the NOD." However, petitioner's principal argument, that he never received the notice of deficiency and is therefore entitled to challenge the underlying liability, would require this Court to review the administrative determination de novo.

/5//Petitioner's counsel attempted to have introduced documents from another case showing that respondent has in some instances paid for the scanned images. We note that even if these documents had been admitted at trial, they would have had no effect on the result of this case.

On a personal note, I have interacted with the appeals employee involved in the case over the year. He is a consumate professional and knows the rules and guidelines of IRS policy in and out. Eldo was already out of the game when he drew Lin's name for his appeal hearing.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Re: TPs Getting More Sophisticated In Trying To Avoid FrivPe

Post by AndyK »

KLINGENBERG -- appears to be 0 for 3 versus the Commissioner:
9463-10
6950-08
15355-09

From 6950-08
This is a collection review case involving a proposed levy to collect Petitioner's unpaid liabilities for each of the years at issue where Petitioner failed to file a tax return and Respondent prepared a return.
The years at issue include 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003, which means that Petitioner failed to file a return for six years in a row by asserting frivolous arguments that his income is not taxable.
Definitely a TD (Tax Defier for the newbies.)
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

And did Eldo ever earn a FrivPen for his past attempts? If not, then this could be a new niche for him to write a book called "Phinessing the Penalty: How to Avoid FrivPens While Asserting Authentic Nonsense."

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
ProfHenryHiggins
Distinguished Don of Ponzi Philology

Post by ProfHenryHiggins »

He appears to have been active in the tax avoidance community as of 2004, quite possibly earlier.

http://www.givemeliberty.org/rtplawsuit ... -15-04.PDF

He contributed to the expected candidate favored by tax protesters in the last presidential election.

http://www.campaignmoney.com/political/ ... p?cycle=08

I'm guessing that this is the same man as well, in trouble with the state over taxes.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/meetings/pdf/072611-072711M.pdf

One thing that makes me wonder, though, is why his middle initial is "L" some of the time and "M" at others times. Same first and last names, same address, same Jr.
jkeeb
Pirate Judge of Which Things Work

Post by jkeeb »

I googled the attorney, seems to be a piece of work.
Remember that CtC is about the rule of law.

John J. Bulten
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

ELDO KLINGENBERG
Is that for real? Wow! It took me a several minutes and a few goes before I came up with the name Arthur Wankspittle. I should have just trawled through some tax cases.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

The "strategy" taken by this clown seems to be a variant on the "passive approach" advocated by someone on LH. Knowing you'll be penalized if you actually say what you think, you go all limp and passive and try to force the IRS to explain things and justify things and so drag things out as along as possible.

All of which is a pile of domestic bird poop.

The IRS appeals officer did exactly the right thing, which is to require tax returns, financial information, and a specific payment offer, and then rule against the idjit when he continued to stall.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

And our unabashed TP tries once again...and gets a $3k FrivPen for his efforts.

ELDO KLINGENBERG,
Petitioner
v.
COMMISSIONER OF INTERNAL REVENUE,
Respondent

Release Date: OCTOBER 18, 2012

UNITED STATES TAX COURT

Filed October 18, 2012

P filed a petition for review of a lien and levy
filing pursuant to I.R.C. secs. 6320 and 6330 in
response to R's determinations that the collection
actions were appropriate.

Held: R's determinations are sustained.

Eldo Klingenberg, pro se.

Najah J. Shariff, for respondent.

[*2] MEMORANDUM FINDINGS OF FACT AND OPINION

WHERRY, Judge: This case is before the Court on a petition filed on April 26, 2010, and amended on June 30, 2010, for review of a Notice of Determination Concerning Collection Action(s) Under Section 6320 and/or 6330 (notice of determination), issued on March 23, 2010. 1 Petitioner seeks review of respondent's determinations to proceed with his levy for the 1991 through 1997 tax years and for his determination to proceed with a levy and the filing of a lien for the 2004 tax year.

These collection actions stem from substitutes for returns respondent prepared pursuant to section 6020(b) for petitioner's 1991 through 1997 and 2004 tax years. The issues for decision are whether petitioner received a statutory notice of deficiency or had an opportunity to challenge the underlying liabilities and whether respondent's settlement officer abused her discretion in determining that the proposed collection actions were appropriate.

[*3] FINDINGS OF FACT

Some of the facts have been stipulated. The stipulations, with accompanying exhibits, are incorporated herein by this reference. At the time the petition was filed, petitioner resided in California.

Petitioner is a self-employed plumber and a habitual nonfiler who last filed a Federal income tax return for tax year 1990. See Klingenberg v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2011-247. For the 1991 through 1997 and 2004 tax years petitioner neither filed Federal income tax returns nor made any payments on his account.

Ms. Sherron Crowley, who during the relevant period was a special enforcement procedures revenue agent and whose job was to obtain returns from individuals who were considered high-income nonfilers, was assigned to petitioner's case. Special Agent Crowley conducted an audit and examination for petitioner's 1991 through 1997 tax years. During this time she attempted to contact petitioner to have him voluntarily file the delinquent income tax returns; despite her efforts petitioner did not file any.

To determine petitioner's income, Special Agent Crowley began by looking at Forms 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income, issued to petitioner that third-party contractors had submitted to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). She would then contact the contractors for their records relating to petitioner. Special Agent [*4] Crowley discovered that some of the contractors had made payments to other individuals (usually the plumbing parts suppliers) for services petitioner had provided and these payments were not included on the amounts on the Forms 1099-MISC. Upon inquiry, Special Agent Crowley learned that the contractors had received levy notices from the IRS for any amounts payable to petitioner. The contractors apparently believed that by writing the checks to the suppliers they could avoid sending money to the IRS in response to the levy notices.

After contacting the contractors, individual customers, and the suppliers, Special Agent Crowley reconstructed petitioner's income. Special Agent Crowley deducted from the receipts the costs of the supplies purchased from the suppliers. When Special Agent Crowley had invoices for expenses but was unable to contact the particular customer, she estimated the income for that project by applying an average of profit percentages that petitioner had made on his other contracts. From all of this information she prepared a substitute for return for each taxable year in the audit period.

On March 28, 2002, respondent sent petitioner four notices of deficiency for his 1991 through 1997 tax years by certified mail to each of his two last known addresses. One of these addresses was the same address petitioner provided as his current address on his petition with this Court. Two of the notices of deficiency [*5] covered the taxable years 1992 through 1997, and two covered the taxable year 1991. One of each type was sent to each of the two addresses. Petitioner did not petition this Court for redetermination of any of the deficiencies. On August 19, 2002, respondent assessed the deficiencies and additions to tax for the 1991 through 1997 tax years.

On February 25, 2008, respondent sent petitioner a notice of deficiency for his 2004 tax year by certified mail to his last known address. Petitioner did not petition this Court for redetermination of the deficiency. On July 28, 2008, respondent assessed a deficiency and additions to tax for petitioner's 2004 tax year.

On October 16, 2008, respondent mailed petitioner a Letter 3172, Notice of Federal Tax Lien Filing and Your Right to A Hearing Under IRC 6320, advising that respondent would on October 17, 2008, file a notice of Federal tax lien (NFTL) for tax year 2004. On November 24, 2008, respondent received an incomplete copy of petitioner's Form 12153, Request for a Collection Due Process or Equivalent Hearing, which was postmarked on November 15, 2008, but did not include an attachment thereto referenced on page 2 of the Form 12153. By letter dated December 1, 2008, respondent requested that petitioner provide a complete collection due process (CDP) hearing request. Respondent received petitioner's [*6] complete Form 12153 CDP hearing request on December 18, 2008. In an attachment petitioner requested a face-to-face hearing and demanded that the IRS verify that all procedures were followed properly. In the alternative, petitioner asserted, inter alia, that "If this liability is indeed a proper assessment and can be proven that it is authentic and owed, I would like to discuss what collection alternatives are available to me, to include, but not limited to Offer in Compromise, Installment Agreements, and any other payment arrangements that may be available to me." In this attachment petitioner did not assert that he did not receive a notice of deficiency for the 2004 tax year.

On December 16, 2008, respondent mailed petitioner a Final Notice and Notice of Intent to Levy and Notice of Your Right to a Hearing (final notice of intent to levy) for the 1991 through 1997 and 2004 tax years. This final notice of intent to levy showed that petitioner owed the following amounts: 2

Unpaid amount Additional Additional
Year from prior notices penalty interest Total

1991 $ 125,485 -0- $ 57,852 $ 183,337
1992 290,523 -0- 133,718 424,241
1993 480,174 -0- 220,528 700,702
1994 461,810 -0- 211,531 673,341
[*7]1995 360,819 -0- 164,740 525,559
1996 198,990 18,187 94,542 311,719
1997 82,272 8,208 39,088 129,568
2004 25,543 645 594 26,782

Total 2,025,616 27,040 922,593 2,975,249

On January 15, 2009, respondent received a timely Form 12153 request for a CDP hearing for the 1991-97 and 2004 tax years. In an attachment petitioner again requested a face-to-face hearing and demanded that the IRS verify that all procedures were followed properly. He stated that he did not believe he was liable for tax, that he "should NOT be held responsible for the penalties accrued", and that he wanted to "challenge this 'liability' seeing that I NEVER had a chance to challenge it before". Again, in the alternative, petitioner asserted that "If this liability is indeed a proper assessment and can be proven that it is authentic and owed, I would like to discuss what collection alternatives are available to me, to include, but not limited to Offer in Compromise, Installment Agreements, and any other payment arrangements that may be available to me." Finally petitioner claimed that "t is not my intention to discuss any issues that the IRS or the Courts considered to be frivolous. If you have considered any of my prior issues that I raised in the past to be frivolous, I hereby renounce them."

[*8] On April 21, 2009, respondent informed petitioner that he had received the case for consideration in the Seattle Appeals Office on April 13, 2009. Then on January 13, 2010, Settlement Officer Kimberly A. Martin of the Sacramento Appeals Office sent petitioner a letter acknowledging receipt of his request for a CDP hearing and scheduling a telephone CDP hearing on January 29, 2010. In that letter Officer Martin advised petitioner that he would be allowed a face-to-face hearing only if he raised nonfrivolous issues. The letter also stated: "You are not able to dispute the liability because you were sent a Statutory Notice of Deficiency on 3/22/2002 for tax years 1991 through 1997 to your Tucker Road address which is also your current address." Officer Martin's January 13, 2010, letter further explained that in order for her to consider collection alternatives petitioner had to provide: a Form 433-A, Collection Information Statement for Wage Earners and Self-Employed Individuals; signed income tax returns for the 2006, 2007, and 2008 tax years; and proof that all required estimated tax payments, presumably for the 2009 tax year, were made.

At the appointed time Officer Martin called petitioner for the CDP telephone hearing. Petitioner did not participate in the scheduled January 29, 2010, telephone hearing. Instead he sent Officer Martin a letter dated January 29, 2010, objecting that the date set did not give him enough time to prepare and [*9] stating that he "had a prior engagement which could not be reschedule and * * * was unable to participate in the telephone conference". In the letter petitioner again asserted that he wanted a face-to-face collection due process hearing, did not receive a statutory notice of deficiency for 1991 through 1997, and would not be providing any information on the 2006, 2007, and 2008 tax years.

On February 23, 2010, Officer Martin mailed petitioner a followup letter expressing regret that petitioner was not available for the hearing and pointing out that petitioner had not, as the original letter requested, called before the telephone hearing to reschedule it if the set time was not convenient. That letter also noted petitioner's failure to comply with the requirements for collection alternatives eligibility, which would have made him eligible for a face-to-face hearing, including his failure to provide the requested information and file delinquent tax returns. Officer Martin then explained that

Since you claim you never received the Statutory
Notice of Deficiency and the assessments are based
on substitute for returns because you do not voluntarily
file a return I will give you an opportunity to file
original returns for tax years 1991-1997 and 2004.
Please provide full and complete documentation of
all deductions which is required for an audit reconsideration

She gave petitioner until March 9, 2010, to respond and submit the delinquent income tax returns and any relevant information for her consideration. Officer [*10] Martin explained that if petitioner did not respond by the deadline the letter would constitute a correspondence hearing and that she would be making her determination using the information in the file. Officer Martin included with this letter certified account transcripts for petitioner's years at issue, a certified March 28, 2002, mailing list reflecting the mailing of the notices of deficiency to petitioner, and copies of the statutory notices of deficiency for the 1991 through 1997 tax years.

Petitioner did not respond or provide Officer Martin with any of the requested information by March 9, 2010. Subsequently Officer Martin made her determination and prepared the case for closure. On March 23, 2010, respondent issued petitioner a notice of determination sustaining the levy and lien actions and noting petitioner was not eligible for any collection alternatives.

In petitioner's June 30, 2010, amended petition he stated that

Respondent failed to provide Petitioner with a face-to-face
Collection Due Process (CDP) Hearing, which Petitioner
specifically requested for. Respondent has failed
to show that Respondent followed all proper procedures
as required by law. Petitioner never received a Notice
of Deficiency for the tax year 2004 and therefore
was also not given the opportunity to challenge the
underlying tax liability

A trial was held on December 7, 2011, in Los Angeles, California.

[*11] OPINION

I. Standard of Review

Section 6330(c)(2)(B) permits challenges to the existence or amount of the underlying liability in collection proceedings only where the taxpayer did not receive a notice of deficiency or otherwise have an opportunity to challenge the liability. If the validity of the underlying tax liability is not properly at issue, we will review the Commissioner's administrative determination for abuse of discretion. Goza v. Commissioner, 114 T.C. 176, 181-182 (2000). However, where the validity of the underlying tax liability is properly at issue, the Court will review the matter de novo. Id.

A. Administrative Record Rule

Under the Golsen rule, we follow the law of the Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, to which this case, absent a stipulation to the contrary, is appealable. See Golsen v. Commissioner, 54 T.C. 742, 757 (1970), aff'd, 445 F.2d 985 (10th Cir. 1971). That court has limited the review of the administrative determination to the administrative record. See Keller v. Commissioner, 568 F.3d 710, 718 (9th Cir. 2009) ("our review is confined to the record at the time the Commissioner's decision was rendered"), aff'g in part T.C. Memo. 2006-166.

[*12] B. Whether Petitioner Received the Notices of Deficiency

Petitioner asserts that he never had an opportunity to dispute his underlying tax liabilities. He contends that he never received notices of deficiency for the periods at issue. Respondent contends that the notices were properly mailed by certified mail to petitioner's last known address.

The presumption of official regularity and delivery arises if the record reflects that a notice of deficiency was properly mailed to the taxpayer. Sego v. Commissioner, 114 T.C. 604, 611 (2000); see also United States v. Zolla, 724 F.2d 808 (9th Cir. 1984). Proper mailing includes mailing by certified mail to the taxpayer's last known address. Sego v. Commissioner, 114 T.C. at 611. If the presumption applies, this Court may find that a taxpayer received the notice if he fails to rebut the presumption. See Conn v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2008-186. Where the presumption of official regularity and delivery arises, receipt of the notice of deficiency will be presumed in the absence of strong evidence to the contrary. See Sego v. Commissioner, 114 T.C. at 611. A taxpayer's self-serving claim that he did not receive the notice of deficiency will generally be insufficient to rebut the presumption. Our "determination of whether a taxpayer has received a notice of deficiency so as to preclude a challenge to the underlying tax liability under section 6330(c)(2)(B) is made 'On the preponderance of the evidence.' [*13] Sego v. Commissioner, 114 T.C. 604, 611 (2000); see also Figler v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2005-230." Casey v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2009-131.

Petitioner relies upon three cases: Barnes v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2010-30, Campbell v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2012-82, and Conn v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2008-186. Petitioner argues that these three cases stand for the proposition that "the receipt of a notice of deficiency, not its mailing is the relevant event". We agree.

Barnes was before the Court on a motion for summary judgment. In that case the Court explained that "summary judgment is appropriate where there is no genuine issue as to any material fact and a decision may be rendered as a matter of law." The taxpayer in Barnes had not yet been given an opportunity to testify at trial and, of particular importance, the notice of deficiency had been returned to the IRS. "Thus there * * * [was] no dispute that * * * [the taxpayer] did not actually receive the notice of deficiency." Under the specific facts of that case, because there was no evidence the taxpayer had refused delivery, the Court found that the taxpayer had not been given a prior opportunity to contest the underlying liability and remanded the case to Appeals.

[*14] Barnes is significantly different from petitioner's case. Here, the case is not before the Court on a motion for summary judgment, and the statutory notices of deficiency were never returned to respondent. Additionally, in the case at hand petitioner was given an opportunity by Officer Martin to contest the underlying liability but chose not to do so.

Campbell is also significantly different from petitioner's case. Campbell was likewise before the Court on a motion for summary judgment and again the statutory notice of deficiency had been returned to the Commissioner by the U.S. Postal Service. Besides, unlike petitioner in the case at hand, the taxpayer in Campbell was never given an opportunity for audit reconsideration as a forum to contest the underlying liability.

Finally, in Conn the Court did discuss the fact that mailing alone can be insufficient under section 6330(c)(2)(B). But in the very next paragraph the Court explained that if the statutory notice of deficiency was sent by certified mail the presumption of official regularity arises and if the taxpayer does not rebut the presumption the Court may find that the taxpayer did receive the notice of deficiency.

Respondent has shown that the notices of deficiency were mailed by certified mail to petitioner's last known mailing address, which is also his current [*15] mailing address. The notices of deficiency were not returned to respondent as undeliverable. Petitioner has regularly received mail from the IRS at that same address. Therefore, respondent is entitled to the presumption of official regularity.

Petitioner failed to rebut the presumption of official regularity, and we conclude that he received the notices of deficiency. Therefore petitioner is not entitled to challenge his underlying liabilities and we will review respondent's administrative determination for abuse of discretion. 3 See Sego v. Commissioner, 114 T.C. at 610; Goza v. Commissioner, 114 T.C. at 182.

II. Review for Abuse of Discretion

Section 6320(a) and (b) provides that a taxpayer shall be notified in writing by the Commissioner of the filing of a notice of Federal tax lien and provided with [*16] an opportunity for an administrative hearing. An administrative hearing under section 6320 is conducted in accordance with the procedural requirements of section 6330. Sec. 6320(c).

Section 6331(a) authorizes the Commissioner to levy upon property or property rights of a taxpayer liable for taxes who fails to pay those taxes within 10 days after a notice and demand for payment is made. Section 6331(d) provides that the levy authorized in section 6331(a) may be made with respect to an unpaid tax liability only if the Commissioner has given written notice to the taxpayer 30 days before the levy. Section 6330(a) requires the Commissioner to send a written notice to the taxpayer of the amount of the unpaid tax and of the taxpayer's right to a section 6330 hearing at least 30 days before the first levy is made.

If an administrative hearing is requested, the hearing is to be conducted by the Appeals Office. Secs. 6320(b)(1), 6330(b)(1). At the hearing, the Appeals officer conducting it must verify that the requirements of any applicable law or administrative procedure have been met. Secs. 6320(c), 6330(c)(1). The taxpayer may raise any relevant issue with regard to the Commissioner's intended collection activities, including spousal defenses, challenges to the appropriateness of the proposed collection actions, and alternative means of collection. Sec. 6330(c)(2)(A); see also Sego v. Commissioner, 114 T.C. at 609; Goza v. [*17] Commissioner, 114 T.C. at 180. Taxpayers are expected to provide all relevant information requested by Appeals, including financial statements, for its consideration of the facts and issues involved in the hearing. Secs. 301.6320-1(e)(1), 301.6330-1(e)(1), Proced. & Admin. Regs.

A. Denial of a Face-to-Face Hearing

Although a section 6330 hearing may consist of a face-to-face hearing, a proper hearing may also occur by telephone or by correspondence under certain circumstances. Lunsford v. Commissioner, 117 T.C. 183, 189 (2001); Katz v. Commissioner, 115 T.C. 329, 337-338 (2000); sec. 301.6330-1(d)(2), Q&A-D6, Proced. & Admin. Regs.

Petitioner never raised any nonfrivolous issue. He repeatedly demanded that Officer Martin explain the procedures or laws that were followed and argued that he did not have the opportunity to contest the underlying liabilities. However, petitioner never presented any evidence that the underlying liabilities were incorrect, nor did he suggest a collection alternative or submit any of the requested financial information or income tax returns and estimated tax payments for 2009. It was not an abuse of discretion for Officer Martin to deny petitioner a face-to-face hearing. See e.g., Seaver v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2012-55, slip op. at 6.

[*18] B. Denial of Offer-in-Compromise

Among the issues that may be raised at Appeals are "offers of collection alternatives", such as offers-in-compromise and installment agreements. Sec. 6330(c)(2)(A)(iii). The Court reviews the Appeals officer's rejection of an offer-in-compromise or an installment agreement to decide whether the rejection was arbitrary, capricious, or without sound basis in fact or law and therefore an abuse of discretion. Skrizowski v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2004-229.

Even if petitioner's statement on his attachment to Form 12153 that he "would like to discuss what collection alternatives are available to me, to include, but not limited to Offer in Compromise, Installment Agreements, and any other payment arrangements that may be available to me" could be construed as an informal offer or an offer to make an offer-in-compromise or agree to an installment agreement, Officer Martin did not abuse her discretion in refusing to process an offer or an installment agreement. Petitioner never suggested any collection alternatives and never even bothered to respond to Officer Martin's February 23, 2010, letter. Petitioner did not file his 2006, 2007, and 2008 Federal income tax returns, file Form 433-A, or produce evidence of or make any estimated tax payments for 2009. Petitioner did not qualify for a collection alternative. See Internal Revenue Manual pt. 5.8.7.2.2.1(1) (May 10, 2011) ("A processable offer [*19] must be returned when the investigation reveals the taxpayer has not remained in filing compliance."); see also Huntress v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2009-161 (finding no abuse of discretion in the Appeals officer's rejection of collection alternatives where the taxpayer offered none and failed to provide financial information); Rodriguez v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2003-153 ("The Commissioner's decision not to process an offer in compromise or a proposed collection alternative from taxpayers who have not filed all required tax returns is not an abuse of discretion.").

In making their determination Officer Martin and/or her supervisor, Appeals Team Manager Marlene M. Okajima, verified that all requirements of applicable law and administrative procedure had been met. Petitioner never offered a concrete collection alternative or raised any nonfrivolous issues and did not provide the requested Forms 433-A or any other financial information. Thus they did not abuse their discretion in acting as they did on respondent's behalf.

III. Section 6673 Penalty

We believe petitioner's case to be appropriate for a section 6673 penalty. Section 6673(a)(1) authorizes this Court to impose a penalty not in excess of $ 25,000 on a taxpayer for instituting or maintaining proceedings primarily for delay or in which the taxpayer's position is frivolous or groundless. A position "is [*20] 'frivolous' where it is 'contrary to established law and unsupported by a reasoned, colorable argument for change in the law.'" Williams v. Commissioner, 114 T.C. 136, 144 (2000) (quoting Coleman v. Commissioner, 791 F.2d 68, 71 (7th Cir. 1986)).

Petitioner has been warned of the potential for a section 6673 penalty. In the letter dated January 13, 2010, respondent informed petitioner that he had taken a "specified frivolous position" identified in IRS Notice 2008-14, 2008-4 I.R.B. 310, and warned him that if he continued to do so the Court might impose monetary sanctions of up to $ 25,000. Petitioner is no stranger to the Tax Court. In a previous case, where petitioner raised the same arguments as in this case, we stated: "Petitioner never raised any nonfrivolous issue." Klingenberg v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2011-247.

We conclude that this case warrants the imposition of a section 6673 penalty and therefore impose a penalty of $ 3,000 to be paid to the United States. We consider it an abuse of our process that "[t]axpayers with genuine controversies were delayed while we considered this case." Solomon v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 1993-509, aff'd without published opinion, 42 F.3d 1391 (7th Cir. 1994). Furthermore:

[*21] Groundless litigation diverts the time
and energies of judges from more serious claims;
it imposes needless costs on other litigants. Once
the legal system has resolved a claim, judges and
lawyers must move on to other things. They cannot
endlessly rehear stale arguments. Both appellants
say that the penalties stifle their right to petition
for redress of grievances. But there is no constitutional
right to bring frivolous suits, see Bill Johnson's
Restaurants, Inc. v. NLRB, 461 U.S. 731, 743, 103
S.Ct. 2161, 2170, 76 L.Ed.2d 277 (1983). People who
wish to express displeasure with taxes must choose
other forums, and there are many available. * * *
[Coleman v. Commissioner, 791 F.2d at 72.]

We are mindful that respondent, having received no help from petitioner, has computed the maximum tax which may be due for each of the eight years at issue here. Because the payment of this tax is now delinquent by up to 20 years, the accrued interest and additions to tax for failure to file returns or make estimated tax payments plus the tax now exceed $ 3 million. This amount respondent is unlikely to collect. Nevertheless, even though only a token amount, given petitioner's actions, a section 6673 penalty is appropriate here. We have, in accordance with our general first-time penalty imposition for other taxpayers, exercised restraint in penalizing petitioner under section 6673. However, if petitioner insists on continuing to waste the time of this Court when he cannot be bothered to voluntarily file his returns, we will be inclined to impose a significantly higher section 6673 penalty in the future.

[*22] The Court has considered all of petitioner's contentions, arguments, requests, and statements. To the extent not discussed herein, the Court concludes that they are meritless, moot, or irrelevant.

To reflect the foregoing,

Decision will be entered for respondent.

FOOTNOTES:

/1/ The petition was filed timely as the U.S. Postal Service postmark indicates that it was mailed on April 22, 2010, the 30th and last day to timely file the petition. See sec. 7502(a). Unless otherwise indicated, all section references are to the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended and in effect at all relevant times, and all Rule references are to the Tax Court Rules of Practice and Procedure.

/2/ Amounts have been rounded to the nearest whole dollar.

/3/ Petitioner was given the opportunity to contest the underlying liabilities in the CDP correspondence. Officer Martin explicitly informed petitioner that she would accept returns from him for the years at issue and would initiate an audit reconsideration. This was an opportunity to contest the underlying liabilities. Petitioner could have properly prepared his delinquent tax returns reflecting the amounts he believed he owed. Petitioner chose not to avail himself of this procedure.

Petitioner was again given the opportunity to provide tax returns for the 1991 through 1997 and 2004 tax years. This time respondent's counsel, after the filing of the petition in this case, offered to allow petitioner to file returns for the years at issue. Petitioner again chose not to prepare the returns and contest the underlying liabilities. Petitioner has had multiple opportunities to contest the underlying liabilities.

jkeeb
Pirate Judge of Which Things Work

Post by jkeeb »

This guy does not seem to be making progress. Someone should recommend a little more research. I would recommend Cracking the Code Peter Hendrickson. Frivolous penalties will then accrue much faster.
Remember that CtC is about the rule of law.

John J. Bulten
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

To determine petitioner's income, Special Agent Crowley began by looking at Forms 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income, issued to petitioner that third-party contractors had submitted to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). She would then contact the contractors for their records relating to petitioner. Special Agent [*4] Crowley discovered that some of the contractors had made payments to other individuals (usually the plumbing parts suppliers) for services petitioner had provided and these payments were not included on the amounts on the Forms 1099-MISC. Upon inquiry, Special Agent Crowley learned that the contractors had received levy notices from the IRS for any amounts payable to petitioner. The contractors apparently believed that by writing the checks to the suppliers they could avoid sending money to the IRS in response to the levy notices.
That's bad. There's a 50% penalty for failing to honor a levy (meaning that the contractors would have to pay the IRS 150% of the amount owed to Eldo). I wonder if any attempt was made to go after the contractors.
After contacting the contractors, individual customers, and the suppliers, Special Agent Crowley reconstructed petitioner's income. Special Agent Crowley deducted from the receipts the costs of the supplies purchased from the suppliers. When Special Agent Crowley had invoices for expenses but was unable to contact the particular customer, she estimated the income for that project by applying an average of profit percentages that petitioner had made on his other contracts. From all of this information she prepared a substitute for return for each taxable year in the audit period.
Eldo might have gotten off easy here, because the IRS was only looking at the 1099s, and 1099s are only issued by businesses. If Eldo was also doing work for homeowners, that wouldn't show up in the 1099s (although some of it might show up in the information received from parts suppliers).

If the IRS had gone after bank records and applied a cash flow analysis to reconstruct income, Eldo might have been much worse off. (I imagine that the IRS didn't follow that path because it would have meant more work without a reasonable expectation of a better result.)
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

LPC wrote:I wonder if any attempt was made to go after the contractors.
Most likely not, for several reasons. First, the contractors most likely responded to the levy notices by writing back that they didn't owe the taxpayer any monies. A revenue officer is not likely to question every single levy source's response unless they have a good reason to believe that they are lying. But once this came to light because of the special agent's investigation, it would still depend on the total amount of owed funds as to whether to pursue the 3rd party. The 150% award has to be won in a suit in federal court, so you can immediately appreciate that DoJ is not going to be filing suits for amounts that would not be cost-efficient to recover, especially if those levied amounts are spread over a wide spectrum of contractors. It is not clear to me if there were issues regarding a statute of limitations to bring a suit, since we don't know how long ago those levies were served.
LPC wrote:If the IRS had gone after bank records and applied a cash flow analysis to reconstruct income, Eldo might have been much worse off. (I imagine that the IRS didn't follow that path because it would have meant more work without a reasonable expectation of a better result.)
That would not be a good reason to avoid doing the bank analysis. The IRS prefers working off bank records simply because it shows the total income flowing in. I suspect that the taxpayer was diverting funds to other accounts that the IRS could not detect, thus the audit had to rely on the 1099s as the only other reasonable source. The third parties could have been summonsed to provide copies of the cancelled checks that they issued to Eldo and/or related parties to see if the funds were being deposited in other accounts - but that is where the question on reasonable expectation on results comes into play.

Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Because the payment of this tax is now delinquent by up to 20 years, the accrued interest and additions to tax for failure to file returns or make estimated tax payments plus the tax now exceed $ 3 million.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.