TP real estate agent convicted

Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

TP real estate agent convicted

Post by Lambkin »

http://www.ktvz.com/news/31181397/detai ... ote]EUGENE, Ore. -- After a four-day trial in U.S. District Court in Eugene, a Sisters tax protester who owes more than $238,000 in federal income taxes was convicted of tax evasion and other charges, including witness tampering, federal prosecutors said Monday.
Randall Blair Johnson, 53, was found guilty of three counts of income tax evasion, three counts of willful failure to file tax returns and one count of witness tampering. Johnson is scheduled for sentencing on Sept. 5 by U.S. District Judge Ann Aiken.
[/quote]
The evidence at trial proved that Johnson filed federal income tax returns for nearly 30 years, prosecutors said. Then, in 2002, he fired his C.P.A., stopped filing returns, stopped paying income tax, and started sending frivolous tax protester materials to the IRS and Oregon Department of Revenue.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Re: TP real estate agent convicted

Post by Burnaby49 »

Sisters is part of the "American Redoubt" area of Eastern Washington and Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming that the sovereigns are claiming will be the last stand against an evil non-sovereign world. It is nestled in the east slopes of the Cascade Mountains with no population centre of any consequence near it so perfect for the Sovereign/Survivalist crowd.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/feb/08 ... t-20120209
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

http://www.registerguard.com/web/update ... sp[quote]A former Florence real estate agent who stopped filing returns and started sending protest material to tax agencies was sentenced Tuesday to more than three years in prison by a federal judge in Eugene, federal prosecutors said.

Randall Blair Johnson, 54, of Sisters also was ordered to pay $260,000 in restitution and a $50,000 fine, the U.S. attorney’s office said.[/quote]
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

A question for the Quatloosian lawyers. This guy was convicted in June and sentenced February of the next year. Is an eight month gap between conviction and sentence normal? If so, why? I'd have thought the sentencing would be the simple part. I've noticed a lot of this in respect to court cases on this site. Accused found guilty and then everyone seems to take a half-year coffee break before they finally tell the perp the cost.

Back to my 3AM viewing of Hobson's Choice. The very simple, very sparse 1953 David Lean movie that he made before he went supersized with Lawrence of Arabia.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Burnaby49 wrote:A question for the Quatloosian lawyers. This guy was convicted in June and sentenced February of the next year. Is an eight month gap between conviction and sentence normal?
Short answer: in federal court, yes. The law requires the Probation Department to prepare a report and sentencing recommendation, which must include calculation of the applicable Guideline. That's an automatic 90-day adjournment. The defense will then quite frequently request time to respond to the probation report, and both the defense and the govt may wish to submit sentencing memoranda.

With cooperators, it is not unusual for sentencing adjournments to stretch into years.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

wserra wrote:
Burnaby49 wrote:A question for the Quatloosian lawyers. This guy was convicted in June and sentenced February of the next year. Is an eight month gap between conviction and sentence normal?
Short answer: in federal court, yes. The law requires the Probation Department to prepare a report and sentencing recommendation, which must include calculation of the applicable Guideline. That's an automatic 90-day adjournment. The defense will then quite frequently request time to respond to the probation report, and both the defense and the govt may wish to submit sentencing memoranda.

With cooperators, it is not unusual for sentencing adjournments to stretch into years.
I am agreeing 100% with Wes. I am just clarifying his last sentence: defendants who plead guilty and promise to cooperate with the prosecution (which usually means testifyng at the trials of their co-defendants) in hope of getting leniency will not be sentenced until all of their cooperation is complete. If that means waiting for all of the co-defendants' trials are completed, that can take years. The delay in sentencing is to keep the threat that they will be denied leniency hanging over their heads.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)