Lauren Hill's tax evasion reason

Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Re: Lauryn Hill - (Tax) Fugee

Post by Demosthenes »

1996 Lauryn Hill, a beautiful cover of the Roberta Flack hit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebBTVdb ... re=related

Today, she writes songs outing the Illuminati...
Demo.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Demosthenes wrote:Hill's big money years happened long before she became a tax cheat, and she paid taxes on that big money.

She went kind of bat sh*t crazy in the mid 2000s. She has six kids and lives with her mom in New Jersey.
Maybe I'm too harsh on her, sure sounds like she had a crazy spell.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Burnaby49 wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:Hill's big money years happened long before she became a tax cheat, and she paid taxes on that big money.

She went kind of bat sh*t crazy in the mid 2000s. She has six kids and lives with her mom in New Jersey.
Maybe I'm too harsh on her, sure sounds like she had a crazy spell.
After reading her wiki, it seems like it's more than a spell. Seems like's she's had issues with paranoia since around her first pregnancy.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

The exceptions that I can think of are Mick Jagger, David Bowie, and The Grateful Dead. Yeah, there are probably more, but they all worked it from early on.
Paul McCartney, The Olson Twins, quite a few were pretty smart. My favorites are the Osmonds, who did lose everything not from really getting ripped off but just making some unlucky business mistakes. They didn't declare bankruptcy, sold pretty much everything and paid every dime to their creditors and have largely gotten most of it back since.

The absolute kings of making the side job pay though, is a toss up between Merv Griffen and Lucille Ball/Desi Arnez.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Gregg wrote:
The exceptions that I can think of are Mick Jagger, David Bowie, and The Grateful Dead. Yeah, there are probably more, but they all worked it from early on.
Paul McCartney, The Olson Twins, quite a few were pretty smart. My favorites are the Osmonds, who did lose everything not from really getting ripped off but just making some unlucky business mistakes. They didn't declare bankruptcy, sold pretty much everything and paid every dime to their creditors and have largely gotten most of it back since.

The absolute kings of making the side job pay though, is a toss up between Merv Griffen and Lucille Ball/Desi Arnez.
What about Johnny Carson or Jay Leno? Both did pretty well with the Tonight Show and Leno has one of the largest private car collections around.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

JamesVincent wrote:
Gregg wrote:

What about Johnny Carson or Jay Leno? Both did pretty well with the Tonight Show and Leno has one of the largest private car collections around.
Peanuts boy. Merv could lose Leno's garage in his pocket change, when he dies he was worth BILLIONS, not bad for a mediocre talk show host. If he had never been heard of on TV, he was still one of the richest men in America when he dies in 2007.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez for several decades pretty much had a finger in every show on television through their studio company, Desilu Productions, which after several acquisitions became paramount Studios, later Paramount Television. It wasn't just "I Love Lucy" but shows like "Star Trek" and "The Jack Benny Show". Among the innovations they came up with was buying the rights to shows after they had run (back then all TV was live, no such thing as reruns or residuals) which made them billions, and also the insistence that every episode of "I Love Lucy" be filmed in a format that could be rebroadcast later and being shot with three cameras when all other televisions hows were still shot with one camera to alive feed. They eventually owned RKO Pictures and in the day it was a larger studio than MGM, Twentieth Century Fox and others. They dominated TV production in a way Microsoft Windows later did operating systems. In 1968, according to corporate filings, Lucy earned an astonishing for the time $30 million and was a billionaire when she died.
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

CaptainKickback wrote:Many years ago on 60 Minutes and they asked Bob Hope who the richest star in Hollywood was, Bob or Bing. Bob said no, the richest person in Hollywood was Fred MacMurray. Seems Fred got heavy into real estate in the pre-war and war years.

I also seem to recall that at one time Lucy and Desi were in the 90% marginal tax bracket.
Desi sold his interest to Lucy in 1960 when they divorced, and he got a pretty good price but the big money years were after that, he had the kind of timing that only Pete Best can appreciate.

Another B movie guy who made a lot more money than you'd have thought from his acting career was a cowboy star named Ronald Reagan, also in big time real estate.
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

Try Gene Autry, the most popular cowboy movie star (more popular than John Wayne or Roy Rogers); unlike Wayne, or even RR, he served in the CBI as a flight officer on a cargo plane.

From the LA TIMES:
IN 1992, when he was 82, Gene Autry was the only show business figure to make Forbes magazine's annual list of the 400 richest Americans. By the time he died, six years later, the magazine estimated his wealth at $320 million, most of it derived from a chain of radio and television stations he had patiently acquired, as well as real estate, oil wells and, of course, his huge catalog of musical copyrights. He still had an aging, dwindling base of nostalgic fans, though he had not performed in public for something like three decades. But by this time he was best known as the affable, long-frustrated owner of the Angels baseball franchise (it did not win a pennant until four years after his death) and for his most important benefaction, the splendid Western museum in Griffith Park that is now known as the Autry National Center, which opened in 1988.
"My Health is Better in November."
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Gene Autry's Palm Springs home is now the playground of hipsters.

http://www.theparkerpalmsprings.com/roo ... -autry.php
Demo.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

According to a report by Reuters, today (Friday June 29) she pleaded guilty to three counts of failure to file. Sentencing in November.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

She has pled guilty to three counts of failing to file income tax returns.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Sentence November 27, 2012, in Newark.

BTW, Jonathan Lee Riches tried to file a notice of appearance, claiming to represent her until it was ordered stricken. For those of you who don't know who "Johnny Sue-nami" is, see the colorful Wiki story.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Quidnunc
Stowaway
Stowaway

Lauren Hill's tax evasion reason

Post by Quidnunc »

I couldn't see that this was addressed somewhere already here, but it looks like singer Lauren Hill pled guilty to tax evasion this week. The entertaining part was her explanation of why:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20120611

"For the past several years, I have remained what others would consider underground," she wrote. "I did this in order to build a community of people, like-minded in their desire for freedom and the right to pursue their goals and lives without being manipulated and controlled by a media protected military industrial complex with a completely different agenda."

"The U.S. Attorney’s office pointed out, however, that she was still able to operate four companies, Creations Music, Inc., Boogie Tours, Inc., L.H. Productions 2001, Inc. and Studio 22, Inc., named by Philly.com, during that time when she received $1.6 million in royalty income.

TMZ estimates that Hill may be hit with an additional $75,000 in fines. She is out on bail at $150,000 and her sentencing hearing is scheduled for November."
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Re: Lauren Hill's tax evasion reason

Post by webhick »

When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

She may avoid jail yet. From Slate:

Earlier this week, Billboard reported that Lauryn Hill had inked a $1 million record deal with Sony—enough to help her avoid jail time for tax evasion. The singer’s contract promises five new songs from Hill, the industry magazine said, plus “additional money for an entire album’s worth of music.” The announcement has been met with some cynicism, with Marah Eakin at the A.V. Club cautiously touting the return of new songs “made just to get out of prison!”

I tried opening the link in Webhick's message but only got this:

You are not authorised to read this forum
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
wserra

Post by wserra »

The older thread was in the now-closed Potpourri forum. I merged it here.

Mountains, Mohammad . . .

Sentencing now set for May 6.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

Yes, she has been taken into custody according to CNN.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

"I am a child of former slaves who had a system imposed on them," Hill said before U.S. Magistrate Madeline Cox Arleo. "I had an economic system imposed on me."
http://music.yahoo.com/news/lauryn-hill ... 57430.html
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

I had an economic system imposed on me.
That would really be unfair - except that everyone of us has had an economic system imposed on us. It's called "life."
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

"Over-commercialization and its resulting restrictions and limitations can be very damaging and distorting to the inherent nature of the individual," Hill wrote. "I did not deliberately abandon my fans, nor did I deliberately abandon any responsibilities, but I did however put my safety, health and freedom and the freedom, safety and health of my family first over all other material concerns! I also embraced my right to resist a system intentionally opposing my right to whole and integral survival."

That's part of the deal when you take oodles of money and are privileged enough to earn fabulous money, something that thousands of other talented individuals would gladly pay taxes on. She's been a bad, bad, girl and now will have lots of time in solitude to think about her decisions.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)