Habitual non-filer ignores mail, gets stamped

Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Habitual non-filer ignores mail, gets stamped

Post by Kestrel »

This case is Alfred Q. Campbell III, TC #13687-11L. The decision was issued today.

It's going to take quite a while for him to pay off $800,000 plus the additional interest and penalties which have accrued. He though he was being coy by ignoring the mail; now he gets to watch his money get express delivery treatment until his IRS levy is satisfied.

Significant excerpts:
Petitioner failed to file income tax returns for his 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004,
2005, 2006, and 2007 tax years (years in issue). Respondent therefore prepared a
substitute for return with respect to each of the years in issue. On February 16,
2010, via certified mail, respondent mailed to petitioner a notice of deficiency with
respect to each of the years in issue (collectively, notices of deficiency). As
shown on the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) Form 3877, respondent mailed separate
copies of the notices of deficiency to petitioner’s post office box and to his street
address in Cordova, Tennessee. The post office box address is the address
petitioner used in his correspondence with the Appeals Office and with this Court.

On February 18, 2010, Henry Allen Quarles, a mail carrier for the USPS
who testified at trial, unsuccessfully attempted to deliver the certified mail to
petitioner’s street address.
According to the USPS.com “Track & Confirm”
printout in the trial record, Mr. Quarles prepared a USPS Form 3849, Delivery
Notice/Reminder/Receipt, and placed it on top of petitioner’s mail in his mailbox.
Although a second Form 3849 was issued, petitioner did not claim the certified mail,
and on March 15, 2010, it was marked “unclaimed” and returned to respondent.

Also on February 18, 2010, Lucy Burch, a sales service associate at the
USPS office in Cordova, Tennessee, who testified at trial, prepared a USPS Form
3849 and placed it in petitioner’s post office box, alerting him to pick up
certified mail sent from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
On or about
February 25, 2010, Ms. Burch prepared a USPS Form 3849 and placed it in
petitioner’s post office box because he had not yet retrieved the certified mail.
Petitioner did not retrieve the certified mail, and on March 15, 2010, it was marked
“unclaimed” and returned to respondent.

On or about November 22, 2010, respondent mailed to petitioner a Final
Notice of Intent to Levy and Notice of Your Right to a Hearing, advising him that
respondent intended to levy to collect his unpaid tax liabilities, penalties, and
interest for the years in issue, which at the time totaled almost $800,000.

Petitioner asserts that he never had an opportunity to dispute the existence
or amounts of the underlying tax liabilities for the years in issue. He contends that
he never received notices of deficiency for the years in issue.
Respondent
contends that the notices of deficiency were properly mailed by certified mail to
petitioner’s addresses but that petitioner did not claim the notices after several
attempts at delivery by the USPS. We must consider whether the fact that the
notices were unclaimed means that petitioner “did not receive any statutory notice
of deficiency * * * or did not otherwise have an opportunity to dispute such tax
liability.”

Under section 6330(c)(2)(B), the receipt of a notice of deficiency, not its
mailing, is the relevant event. Kuykendall v. Commissioner, 129 T.C. 77, 80
(2007); Conn v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2008-186, 2008 WL 2986391, at *2;
Tatum v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2003-115, 2003 WL 1918914, at *3.
However, a taxpayer may not avoid actual receipt by deliberately refusing delivery.
Sego v. Commissioner, 114 T.C. 604, 610-611 (2000). A taxpayer who refuses
delivery of a notice of deficiency is deemed to have received the notice. Id.; Rivas
v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2012-20, 2012 WL 141745, at *4. The Court’s
determination of whether a taxpayer has received a notice of deficiency so as to
preclude a challenge to the underlying tax liability under section 6330(c)(2)(B) is
made “[o]n the preponderance of the evidence”. Sego v. Commissioner, 114 T.C.
at 611; see also Casey v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2009-131, 2009 WL
1606226, at *4; Figler v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2005-230, 2005 WL 2444045,
at *4.

In the absence of clear evidence to the contrary, the presumptions of official
regularity and delivery justify the conclusion that the statutory notice was sent and
that attempts to deliver were made. See Sego v. Commissioner, 114 T.C. at 611.
The Commissioner generally has prevailed in foreclosing challenges to the
underlying liability under section 6330(c)(2)(B) where he establishes that a notice of
deficiency was mailed to the taxpayer’s last known address and no factors are
present that rebut the presumption of official regularity and of delivery. Cyman v.
Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2009-144, 2009 WL 1748863, at *4; see, e.g., Sego v.
Commissioner, 114 T.C. at 611; Clark v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2008-155,
2008 WL 2471865, at *3-*4. A taxpayer’s self-serving testimony that he did not
receive the notice of deficiency, standing alone, is generally insufficient to rebut the
presumption.
See Klingenberg v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2012-292, 2012 WL
5035605, at *5; Casey v. Commissioner, 2009 WL 1606226, at *4; cf. Devlin v.
Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2012-145, 2012 WL 1842441, at *3 n.8

Both USPS employees testified that the Cordova office always followed
USPS procedures, including the preparation and delivery of multiple USPS Forms
3849 at each of petitioner’s addresses. They also testified that, regarding either
petitioner’s post office box or his street address, petitioner never suspended service
or complained about not receiving his mail.
Mr. Quarles testified that he did not
recollect mail ever piling up unclaimed in petitioner’s mailbox at his street address.

During cross-examination of the USPS employees at trial, petitioner attempted to
suggest that the USPS Forms 3849 might have been lost in the large volume of mail
or because of mishandling, but he provided no evidence to support those
suggestions.
The USPS left a total of four USPS Forms 3849 at two different
addresses for petitioner, one of which was the address petitioner used in
correspondence with the Appeals Office and with this Court. The USPS office
in Cordova, Tennessee, held the certified mail for nearly a month. It is unlikely
that all four Forms 3849 were lost, mishandled by the USPS, or overlooked by
petitioner for the entire month. Petitioner’s contentions are neither compelling nor
convincing, and they do not rebut the presumption that the USPS employees
properly discharged their official duties.

Petitioner was given an opportunity to testify at trial, and he failed to
take advantage of that opportunity. On the preponderance of the evidence, we find
that petitioner either refused or deliberately failed to claim delivery of the notices of
deficiency for the years in issue and is, therefore, in either case, deemed to have
received them. Accordingly, the Appeals Office correctly determined that petitioner
was precluded from challenging the underlying tax liabilities at a section 6330
hearing,
see Sego v. Commissioner, 114 T.C. at 611; Rivas v. Commissioner, 2012
WL 141745, at *5, and his underlying tax liabilities are not properly before the
Court, see Sego v. Commissioner, 114 T.C. at 611; Cyman v. Commissioner, 2009
WL 1748863, at *5.

Petitioner has not advanced any argument or introduced any evidence that
would allow us to conclude that the determination to sustain the levy was
arbitrary, capricious, or without sound basis in fact. The Appeals Office correctly
precluded petitioner from challenging the underlying liabilities.
Petitioner did not
comply with Ms. Macaulay’s requests to submit tax returns, make estimated tax
payments, or submit a Form 433-A or any other financial information, or
otherwise offer a reasonable collection alternative. The Appeals Office
determined that the requirements of applicable law and administrative
procedure were met and concluded that the proposed levy appropriately balanced
the need for efficient collection of taxes with petitioner’s concerns regarding the
intrusiveness of the levy action. Therefore, we hold that the Appeals Office did not
abuse its discretion when it issued a notice of determination upholding the proposed
levy action.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: Habitual non-filer ignores mail, gets stamped

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

This is the postal counterpart to "LA-LA-LA-LA-I-HAVE-MY-FINGERS-IN-MY-EARS-AND-I-CAN'T-HEAR-YOU!"
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

As stupid and self-serving as Campbell's arguments may have been, they were not actually frivolous in the same vein as our typical TPs' and TDs'. He actually tried attacking the assessments on a valid legal point in that the IRS has to show that the notices of deficiency and assessment were sent to the correct last known address and that the taxpayer was advised of their right to appeal. The IRS has lost cases specifically because the taxpayer was able to show that the government did not follow the procedures properly and could not show there was a reasonable belief that the taxpayer received the ND. Of course this guy was thinking he found a loophole that was going to let him of the hook and he was disabused of that notion

This type of argument has been made a number of times appropriately and inappropriately in the courts. What would have elevated this case to the frivolous stupidity that we have all come to love and appreciate (not) would have been based on gibberish about the TP/TP not recognizing the establishment of zip codes, the IRS failed to provide a 23C assessment document at his request, no delegating authority for the person signing/authorizing the assessment, etc. All of these arguments have no basis in the law and no court could ever rule in the favor of the TP/TD no matter how much "proof" they brought to bear. On the other hand the subject of this thread might have won if the government couldn't have shown any reasonable evidence that they had gotten the letter to him.

Finally, there is no evidence that the court considered this to be a frivolous filing and the goverment did not request that sanctions be imposed.

So I can't accept this case as being indicative that this filer was in the TP/TD crowd.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

I agree that Campbell didn't make overtly nonsensical arguments. What prompted me to flag him anyway as a TP/TD was the totality of his behavior: his absolute refusal to file returns for at least seven years on income that was certainly significant, coupled with his patently shallow "you can't catch me" attitude.

Although it was over the course of seven years, and even assuming that penalties and interest account for half of the bill, you still need some pretty substantial taxable net income to amass an $800,000 bill. Campbell wasn't an ignorant cluck working as an itinerant pool man.

I might swallow the "post office never sent me notice" argument if it was just to one address on one date. My own jury duty notice came via certified mail, but the day it went through my post office a vacation relief postal worker logged in all the certified mail, never completed processing the delivery notice slips, then hid the bucket; the bucket was found and properly processed two months later and a lot of people were mad. Yet even then the proper delivery notices did finally go out. Delivery was merely delayed.

Campbell didn't have that luxury; he had two addresses and at least two notices went to both. His words weren't typical nutcase TP words, but to me his actions were still TP actions.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

The IRS deals with a significant number of non-filers on a regular basis. Many of them fall into the same category with Campbell in that they have not filed for several years, usually sequentially. And the main reason for them not filing is that they know they are going to owe and are hoping to put off the inevitable. Which they usually do for a few years (only further compounding the problem). Even a sample review of those Tax Court cases that originate out of CDP hearings in Appeals shows that there a number of cases where serial non-filing is the root problem. But that is not enough to classify as TP or TD behavior in my perhaps not-so-humble opinion, althought it is based on my work experience.

And the excuse that "I did not receive my notice" is hardly a new one. It is the typical answer provided when the IRS addresses the taxpayer's complaint that the IRS has not considered their issues/concerns (usually after the bank levy hits).
IRS: "We have a legal assessment against you. We attempted to contact you about this balance prior to issuing the levy. We received no response, thus we had to resolve the liability without your participation."

Taxpayer: "I never got anything from you. I didn't even know that I owed."

IRS: "But our records show that you at least the got the notice of deficiency on xx-xx-xxxx. You even signed for it."

Taxpayer: "I don't remember that. How do you know that is my signature? I bet someone else signed for me!"

IRS: "This signature matches the signature we have on record for the last return you filed. If you show me a legal ID with your signature, we can probably resolve that issue right away."

Taxpayer: "I lost my ID several weeks ago."

IRS: "Ok, but our records show this is your permanent and last known residence. And it is obvious you are still living here, since you answered the door when I knocked. So we met the requirement of giving you official legal notice of the assessment."

Taxpayer: "Yeah, but I really don't live here. This is my wife's place and we are separated, so I come by once in a while to see the kids. You just happened to get lucky and caug- er found me here."

IRS: "Did you provide the IRS with an updated address change when you moved?"

Taxpayer: "I didn't know I was supposed to do that. Why don't you guys tell us these things instead of springing it on us?"

IRS: "Well, at least tell me where you are residing at now so I can update our records for you."

Taxpayer: "That is going to be complicated. I'm right in the middle of moving out of my old place and I'm still looking for a new place to move into. I might have to live in my car for the next few weeks till I get things sorted out..."
And the conversation goes further downhill from there. All of this is nothing more than excuse making from people who could be readily classified as professional deadbeats. Our taxpayer above is either hiding behind his wife's skirts due to having a number of creditors looking for him (besides the IRS), or otherwise is flitting from address to address in order to frustrate the pursuit. So we can understand the reason or motivation for his constant excuse-making now that he has been found. "Any port in a storm" is his motto here, but it certainly isn't frivolity in the sense that TPs and TD's engage in.

Most of the deadbeats never hold a position forever that they don't owe. They may try that tact for the moment, but then will look to other means to put off their creditors or frustrate their ability to collect the liability. It is far easier (and cheaper) to render yourself judgement proof rather than go to court in trying to get out of the liability. Campbell idiotically thought that this excuse was going to work and it didn't. Unless he decides to stick his head in the nearest vat of kool-ade, I don't expect him to pursue any more of this nonsense.

If we were to do a Venn diagram of taxpayers and protestors, we could certainly say that while all TPs are deadbeats, not all deadbeats are TPs.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

"Fingers in the ears" describes the courtroom strategy of two mountebanks who filed bogus liens on the federal judge and prosecutor, then tried to claim immunity as members of an imaginary Indian tribe.
US v. Reed [& Davis](8th Cir 2012) 668 F3d 978.
jkeeb
Pirate Judge of Which Things Work

Post by jkeeb »

Well, "Fingers in the ears" does sound like a legitmate Indian name.
Remember that CtC is about the rule of law.

John J. Bulten