Poking around the 'net and I hear you are meanies

LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Re: Poking around the 'net and I hear you are meanies

Post by LPC »

Joey Smith wrote:Joe Bannister apparently came to the conclusion that he could make a lot more money selling de-tax snake oil than working for the IRS, which was probably right (but, then, the same is true for narco-traffickers and pimps), but he himself never doubted the legality of taxes which is why he kept filing his returns and paying taxes, even while selling others into not doing so (arguably, protected speech under the First Amendment).
It's not at all clear that Banister has been filing returns and paying taxes.

From the Tax Protester Dossiers:
The IRS has assessed a deficiency against Banister for the year 2002, and the Tax Court has affirmed the deficiency, along with a penalty for failing to file a timely return. Joseph R. Banister v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2008-201, No. 1356-06 (8/27/2008), aff'd, No. 09-70775 (9th Cir. 3/4/2011). The Tax Court decision confirms the claim during the IRS disbarment hearings (see above) that Banister had failed to file an income tax return for 2002 (among other years).

[...]

On 1/17/2013, Banister filed another petition with the Tax Court. It is not known what taxes (or tax years) might be at issue in that case. Joseph R. Banister v. Commissioner, No. 030500-12 (U.S.T.C.).
I checked the Tax Court docket for the more recent action, and they are still in the pleading stage.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Re: Poking around the 'net and I hear you are meanies

Post by Joey Smith »

Seems like he testified at some trial that he was filing and paying, but apparently lost leave of his senses too.
- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -