Poking around the 'net and I hear you are meanies

ChezJfrey

Poking around the 'net and I hear you are meanies

Post by ChezJfrey »

Interesting pastime you guys have here, chasing the TP crowd :) Thought I'd sign up and pose a few of my thoughts after perusing your topic of choice -- tax.

For disclosure, I am not a lawyer, but rather a software programmer with an undergrad degree in accounting. Reading this forum, I would agree with a post indicating direct vs. indirect taxation and apportionment is moot, considering the 16th amendment renders the end result of our current income taxation the same, either way. I also saw a post reminding TPs that they are obliged adherence to both written and adjudicated law, yet they are still free to argue that tax law is unfair in a proper venue; my opinion posits that there are some elements that might be unfair and I think it could be useful for our Congress to accept those elements as valid and address them. My points are relatively minor and elaborated a bit later. However, given the tendency of our system to act as a ratchet, never receding from greater purchase, I won’t be holding my breath. Another post presented the idea that accession of wealth obtained from labor warrants income taxation, and I agree with that point.

I think members of the TP crowd that rails against ‘taxing labor’ overlook some attributes, among other things, of our current system that, to an extent, aims to limit tax to a ‘wealth’ portion of wage income – there is an exemption and standard deduction, though I still see an unfairness that I will discuss. But, rather than mock them, I tend to look for the root of their issue with the U.S. tax system and I think I can agree with the assertion that income should not always equal 100% of the wage (which again, is a claim that can’t be true given exemption and the greater of standard/itemized deduction), though it shouldn’t necessarily be 0%, either. I see some merit in the idea that a purportedly ‘free’ individual should retain an ability to allocate some additional discretionary income, not subject to tax. There are elements allowing some discretionary spending for a business that eliminates that expenditure from their income subject to tax, whereas an individual doesn’t receive like consideration for that same level of discretion. I also think some of the animosity might extend from the unfathomable bloat of government programs and budgets, and the system could use a good, controlled burn to eliminate specious spending, but that’s entirely another topic. As for the TPs you track here…well, my only thought is that their plan, or perhaps lack thereof, is incredibly stupi…, well, unsound, we shall politely say.

But I’d also be careful not to laugh too hard at people like Hart’s insolvency predicament. Considering the U.S. can’t even accumulate enough funds from the income tax to reduce its mounting debt each year, and the hole continuously deepens, the case could be made that some form of creditor action will one day be warranted when the compounding interest blows ability to pay out of the water and further credit denied. I’m sure many of Hart’s squirming and feeble actions to ward off doom would be humorously replicated as our country’s leaders contort to escape obligation, a la default (though I’m beginning to think that debt number is some sort of virtual fantasy at this point).

I should add that while reading here, I do chuckle how some people on this forum can regurgitate dicta with fervor…it must be true that lawyers just like to argue and volley barrages with vengeance, LOL. I gather it might more be a case where some things have just grown tiresome and some dolts just aren’t listening carefully enough to your well-meaning admonitions?  In any case, for me, your professions and law discussions are intriguing.

I think some of the frustration and angst directed the U.S. income tax stems from this discrepancy between business and the individual, and the question some people have is, “why the seemingly favored treatment toward allowable expenses for business/corporations?” Essentially, the tax rules allow a corporation an ability to decide, to a degree, its own tax-free extravagance vs. taxable profits; if it wants to forgo some (or even all) profit for non-growth, creature comforts (nice furnishings, property rental, leased luxury cars, sporting skyboxes, meals, sizeable portion of entertainment, etc.), to a large extent that money remains untaxed. But the individual is somewhat constrained with an ‘allowed’ measure of tax-free extravagance that is determined by the legislation in the form of a fairly miniscule exemption/standard deduction and all else is taxable. Again, I agree that the intent to tax accession to wealth is appropriate for our income tax, but our design is slightly flawed and inequitable toward that end. I think that a common worker should be allowed some latitude like afforded business, whereby some individual expenditure should be free from tax in a similar respect as corporate expenses. A possible solution could be fashioned by simply allowing deduction of full rent/mortgage of primary residence and perhaps a car payment per each individual represented on the return as an itemized deduction. While only a partial address, it is simpler to apply than trying to institute the exact same rules that would be near impossible to account/enforce. That simple, yet I think fairly significant, step might quell some protestation. It might somewhat reduce the government’s take, but a portion would eventually make it back to them via business income, and given that all the current tax proceeds apply insufficiently to the national debt, who really cares about a few bucks less when our fiscal policies never achieve principle debt reduction anyway (OK, a little condescending to our planners, but can’t argue it’s not true, eh? http://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/repo ... histo5.htm )? Besides, maybe adding a couple decent allowances would mitigate some of that protestation, resulting in better compliance? Who knows…I think an approach that treats income and some expenses more similarly, from a general public perspective, might improve some attitude toward federal income taxation.

If you’ll bear with a few tangential asides from a new member, I have some further thoughts about a few other things...

I have read some of the TP diatribes, including their published works…for ‘fun’ I suppose (maybe I’m a masochist? LOL). Aside from some clear misunderstandings of how to conduct their business, I gather that some aspects that provoke TPs into misguided ‘action,’ is the perceived ‘lawlessness’ of the Congress, the judiciary, and the IRS and idea that our income tax system appears to have diverged from the intent of the Constitution’s crafters. Granted, TPs have either ignored or glossed over the ‘Necessary and Proper Clause’ and ensuing decisions that enabled furtherance of certain legality, but I can see how skepticism might foster. I have doubts that the framers would have ever envisioned a federal tax scheme whereby a common worker’s wage would be effectively owned by the federal government. Some may argue that it isn’t federally owned, but I contend that technically, it could be construed; if Congress enacted an 85% tax on wages, they can do so and I don’t see where anything could be done about it. Sure, we could elect a new group, but that tax regulation would still exist and I don’t see anything obligating a new representative to adhere to any sort of campaign promise to reduce/repeal. In essence, the government has decisive control over how much (or how little) a worker can keep from their wage. Also, given that the Constitution framers were highly sensitive to broad and potentially overbearing taxation rules, I can’t imagine they would be comfortable with the current scheme because there is no escape available a citizen within the country. A state could do the same thing with their tax rules, but there is some recourse in that a U.S. citizen can fairly easily relocate to another state that is deemed more fairly taxed, or in some cases, has no income tax; it is more difficult and more impractical to change citizenship.

As for the IRS, evidence does support they are prone to step out of bounds (demonstrated by the prompting of reform in the late 90s and current headlines) and apparently their procedures are not always conducive to obtaining optimal collection result, according to a reputable ex-IRS agent, Jack Wade (http://www.unclefed.com/TxprBoR/JWWade.html ). One particular statute has struck me as a possible breach, 6331. While I have read Evans’ explanation (http://evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html#levysalaries ), I still have doubts about the wage facet for a couple reasons.

Evans presents a few cases to support that the courts have made no distinction between the property of any person, with any tax owed, is eligible for levy in the first paragraph, and the federal employee’s wage that is eligible for levy. One of the contentions is that the federal employee wage language was added to further clarify a potential misunderstanding from a prior case. However, when other elements are combined, I would interpret it differently. I see that the Sims case indeed refers to a Comp. Gen. bulletin to conclude that the language was added to the statute to rectify a potential misunderstanding. But, an Article in the Constitution negates any question that Congressional authority applies to D.C., so why bother adding it to statute? If I look at the regulation, 301.6331–1 Levy and distraint, I see:

(a) Authority to levy
(4) Certain types of compensation—
(i) Federal employees
(ii) State and municipal employees.
(iii) Seamen
(5) Noncompetent Indians.

The fact that (a) indicates any person owing tax may have property, right to property, compensation, and bank accounts levied, but then a further distinction is made for “Certain types of compensation,” I am led to believe perhaps the intent is that for property and bank accounts, anyone can be levied, but for accrued wages, only certain ones are eligible. Then, combine that with the fact that the notices sent by the IRS have 6331 (a) that mentions the federal employee wage bit, removed from the supporting statute printed on the reverse, then I start surmising that even the IRS is aware that the regulation does indeed mean that just for wages, there is an exception and they are obscuring that fact by not printing it on their form they send to employers. If an alleged crime were being tried, attempts to obscure become incriminating and I think this obfuscation and omission on part of the IRS similarly incriminates.

My debate of the framers’ intent and the 6331 statute is rhetorical. I am neither the law, nor am I versed enough to know intricacies that I may have overlooked or don’t entirely understand, and there is no doubt that my arguments would lose in a civil or criminal case because these issues are already considered settled by the courts. The proper venue for making any case is in Congress and if the argument is rejected there, then so be it until the next elections.

I pose the latter discussion only to promote some possibilities why someone like Banister or Peel may have converted their mindset, and why others might have as well. I saw that Evans poses some thoughts (in his protester FAQ) about possible emotional or psychological needs, or personal economics that might contribute to fixating on the federal income tax system as a symbol of dysfunction within the government. I think the couple ideas I mention, combined with questionable government spending and mounting debt that renders the income tax virtually useless, spurious justifications for assassinating certain people without trial, slippages of some other rights, recent disclosures that implicate other possible government improprieties, etc., might conspire in someone’s head to meet Evans’ conjecture.

It’s definitely an imperfect system, but disregarding it won’t solve anything, does not preclude lawful obligations or punishments for failure to abide, and one must accept that contrary arguments should be presented to the proper forum of Congress and they might not agree. That’s life.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Re: Poking around the 'net and I hear you are meanies

Post by The Observer »

ChezJfrey wrote:Then, combine that with the fact that the notices sent by the IRS have 6331 (a) that mentions the federal employee wage bit, removed from the supporting statute printed on the reverse, then I start surmising that even the IRS is aware that the regulation does indeed mean that just for wages, there is an exception and they are obscuring that fact by not printing it on their form they send to employers. If an alleged crime were being tried, attempts to obscure become incriminating and I think this obfuscation and omission on part of the IRS similarly incriminates
You do realize that there is no requirement for the IRS to print S. 6331 at all on levies being issued? If the IRS chose not to print S. 6331 on the levy form at all, does that mean you would conclude that the IRS had no authority to levy at all? You are committing the same level of error that tax protestors do in trying to attribute something to an action or even that has no legal implication/consequence whatsoever.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
ChezJfrey

Post by ChezJfrey »

The Observer wrote:You do realize that there is no requirement for the IRS to print S. 6331 at all on levies being issued? If the IRS chose not to print S. 6331 on the levy form at all, does that mean you would conclude that the IRS had no authority to levy at all? You are committing the same level of error that tax protestors do in trying to attribute something to an action or even that has no legal implication/consequence whatsoever.
Yes, I realize there is no requirement and it has no legal bearing. My intent was merely rhetorical and my intent was to demonstrate that someone looking at the regulations, the statute and the fact that the IRS does print the statute, but chose to omit just that section becomes suspicious enough that might lead one to believe the omission gives merit to the idea that for wages only, there might indeed be an exception. (ETA: Because people doing strange/suspicious things and claiming, "no reason," become more worthy of suspicion, if you ask me. Perhaps just cynicism :) )

I also added that I know for a fact that argument is useless in court and any question about whether it is law is already settled in court. If I have any question about the merit of my thoughts (and I'm not sure I do because it's irrelevant to me) and wish to rectify a perceived wrongness, I would need to go through another channel.
ChezJfrey

Post by ChezJfrey »

I suppose I'll also add that I was really just trying to demonstrate how the likes of Banister or Peel may have examined things on their end. They made an incredible leap to presume the entirety of the code did not apply.

While I still entertain the possibility that the one specific aspect of the 6331, only for wages, and how it's worded 'certain types' might not have been originally intended to apply to everyone, I do not make the illogical leap that none of the code applies, and I also know that the courts already hold otherwise for 6331. I just took the wording, the strange omission from the form as something that could possibly be re-examined for just that one facet of IRS procedures. I'm also not saying they couldn't add it to the regulation tomorrow and the IRS would not have the authority, because they would.

That's all.
Last edited by ChezJfrey on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Post by Cpt Banjo »

ChezJfrey wrote:I think I can agree with the assertion that income should not always equal 100% of the wage (which again, is a claim that can’t be true given exemption and the greater of standard/itemized deduction), though it shouldn’t necessarily be 0%, either. I see some merit in the idea that a purportedly ‘free’ individual should retain an ability to allocate some additional discretionary income, not subject to tax.
That's certainly the way it started out in 1913 -- the exemption for a married couple was around $80,000 in today's dollars. But of course the federal government was doing a lot less in those days and didn't need as much money to pay for its activities as it does today.
I gather that some aspects that provoke TPs into misguided ‘action,’ is the perceived ‘lawlessness’ of the Congress, the judiciary, and the IRS and idea that our income tax system appears to have diverged from the intent of the Constitution’s crafters.
The Constitution's crafters would no doubt be thunderstruck at the size of the federal government and the scope of its activities, all of which require taxes at a level higher than the Framers could ever have imagined.
Also, given that the Constitution framers were highly sensitive to broad and potentially overbearing taxation rules, I can’t imagine they would be comfortable with the current scheme because there is no escape available a citizen within the country. A state could do the same thing with their tax rules, but there is some recourse in that a U.S. citizen can fairly easily relocate to another state that is deemed more fairly taxed, or in some cases, has no income tax; it is more difficult and more impractical to change citizenship.
Please remember that under the Articles of Confederation the central government had no power to tax but had to rely on requisitions from the States, which often were not forthcoming. The unworkability of the requisition system was the reason the Constitution gave Congress an extremely broad taxing power.
I saw that Evans poses some thoughts (in his protester FAQ) about possible emotional or psychological needs, or personal economics that might contribute to fixating on the federal income tax system as a symbol of dysfunction within the government. I think the couple ideas I mention, combined with questionable government spending and mounting debt that renders the income tax virtually useless, spurious justifications for assassinating certain people without trial, slippages of some other rights, recent disclosures that implicate other possible government improprieties, etc., might conspire in someone’s head to meet Evans’ conjecture.
This may explain the motive for attempting to rationalize an anti-tax position, but what explains the use of phony quotations and the utter refusal to address the countless cases that consistently rule against the TPs' positions? Sure, some of it is sheer laziness -- it's always easier to cut and paste from some idiot's website than it is to do original research -- but there's also an element of intellectual dishonesty and con artistry in the TP community.

You know, I wish someone would publish a book on TP's that would go into this in more detail...
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
ChezJfrey

Post by ChezJfrey »

Cpt Banjo wrote:This may explain the motive for attempting to rationalize an anti-tax position, but what explains the use of phony quotations and the utter refusal to address the countless cases that consistently rule against the TPs' positions? Sure, some of it is sheer laziness -- it's always easier to cut and paste from some idiot's website than it is to do original research -- but there's also an element of intellectual dishonesty and con artistry in the TP community.

You know, I wish someone would publish a book on TP's that would go into this in more detail...
Who can say why the phony quotes and sheer will of refusal?

As for the book...I figured that was something this forum was already working on! Could be a fascinating read. Just be sure to preface it, "Based on a true story," that gets attention every time.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I put a lot of it down to simply being unable to read and comprehend a simple English sentence, which admittedly a lot of the tax stuff isn't, and it is just easier to regurgitate what someone else has already written, since they don't understand that either, but at least it agrees with what theyvery desperately want to believe.

The thing I have discovered, is that if you ask that crowd to explain their beliefs, they end up repeating what they have already said as that is the only explanation they actually have, or if pushed they will fall back on whoever their guru is as authority, but as to actually understanding what they are saying, not often.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia

Post by jcolvin2 »

ChezJfrey wrote: As for the book...I figured that was something this forum was already working on! Could be a fascinating read. Just be sure to preface it, "Based on a true story," that gets attention every time.
A tale as old as tax ... Bamboozlers and the Bureaucrats!
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

One quick point. The income does not tax labor. It doesn't tax wealth either. It taxes income.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

ChezJfrey wrote:While I still entertain the possibility that the one specific aspect of the 6331, only for wages, and how it's worded 'certain types' might not have been originally intended to apply to everyone, I do not make the illogical leap that none of the code applies, and I also know that the courts already hold otherwise for 6331. I just took the wording, the strange omission from the form as something that could possibly be re-examined for just that one facet of IRS procedures. I'm also not saying they couldn't add it to the regulation tomorrow and the IRS would not have the authority, because they would.
But that is where I think you are being generous in giving tax protesters the benefit of the doubt. This is not a situation where a tax protester innocently encounters S. 6331 and is misled or confused by how it is presented by the IRS on the back of a levy. What you are not taking into account is that the tax protester has already made up in his or her mind that the income tax is illegal or otherwise does not apply to the them, they only need to find the magic loophole somewhere in the IRC that will prove that they don't owe taxes or that the IRS cannot collect those same taxes. So they will search feverishly and fervently through the code, looking for anything that might remotely appear to support their current theory, twist and torture the meaning of said selection, and then claim victory. That is a far cry from innocent people being "misled" by IRS forms.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
ChezJfrey

Post by ChezJfrey »

The Observer wrote:But that is where I think you are being generous in giving tax protesters the benefit of the doubt. This is not a situation where a tax protester innocently encounters S. 6331 and is misled or confused by how it is presented by the IRS on the back of a levy. What you are not taking into account is that the tax protester has already made up in his or her mind that the income tax is illegal or otherwise does not apply to the them, they only need to find the magic loophole somewhere in the IRC that will prove that they don't owe taxes or that the IRS cannot collect those same taxes. So they will search feverishly and fervently through the code, looking for anything that might remotely appear to support their current theory, twist and torture the meaning of said selection, and then claim victory. That is a far cry from innocent people being "misled" by IRS forms.
You are likely correct. They probably do approach it with their 'answer' and look everywhere for the supposed support.

In my perusal of the various TP sites and literature, I encountered another of their magic loopholes in 1.1441 of the CFR, where the definition of individual is enumerated in 1.1441-1(c)(3) as only alien and nonresident alien. Ta da! Individuals are now only aliens! They probably spent a good amount of time looking for that...but if they would just glance upward to the first paragraph of 1.1441, it indicates that the section provides the definitions to be used in chapter 3 of the code.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Cpt Banjo wrote:The Constitution's crafters would no doubt be thunderstruck at the size of the federal government and the scope of its activities, all of which require taxes at a level higher than the Framers could ever have imagined.
I dare say that "the Framers" would be thunderstruck by a number of things about today's United States, starting with the fact that men who don't own land are allowed to vote and proceeding through the absence of laws punishing seditious libel, the abolition of slavery, freed slaves voting, women voting, and court-appointed counsel for the indigent in criminal prosecutions, and then moving on to things like the Louisiana purchase, Seward's folly, trans-continental passenger jets, the telephone, television, and computers.

Yes, they'd be amazed. And so what?

There's a Buddhist saying that, if you meet Buddha on the road, you should kill him. I think that, if I were to meet James Madison on the road, I should kill him.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia

Post by jcolvin2 »

I think that, if I were to meet Alexander Hamilton on the road, I should kill him.
Wait. Aaron Burr beat me to it!
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

ChezJfrey wrote:I hear you are meanies
"Meanies"? "Meanies"? Was Attila the Hun "inconsiderate"?
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

Tax deniers and illegal tax protesters have determined aforehand that they do non want to (intend to) pay taxes.

Ignoring that some of them have an intense hatred of government due to child custody issues, denial of some form of benefit, run-ins with the criminal or civil system, vehement disagreement with policies such as abortion, gay rights, gun control, etc.; they all have one thing in common: They all first shoot at the barn and then paint the bulls-eyes around the bullet holes.

That is, they decide to the point of firm belief that they should not be paying taxes and then find a justification. Of course, there are always people willing (for a fee) to help them with this justification AND the Internet is a vast cesspool of information about tax evasion.

Since (by pre-determination) their position is correct, anything which contradicts it is a government plot, a conspiracy of the Jews / Masons / Vatican / New World Order / {insert your choice}, or some other contrivance directed specifically at them. After all, their failures / problems / issues are all someone else's fault.

Finally, they are never dissuaded by failures of others, or themselves, to beat the system. The always can keep trying; even to the day when they are jailed or have all their assets seized.

It is important to remember that these people are Quixotic -- They do not apply reason, except for their own perverted form of logic, to anything.

By the way; we ARE meanies -- with respect to the promoters of tax evasion schemes, Ponzi operations, and any other activity designed solely to separate the unsuspecting from their money. We are, on the other hand, very nice and gentle to those who come here for help in resolving their personal aftermath of dealings with one of the snake oil purveyors (Documentation available upon request).
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

I can understand where this "meanies" bs is coming from. I traded some emails with an older sister who said I was too negative; I believe in ethics, accountability and lawfulness. Am I mean to stand for these things?

The problem with those on the lax side of the law, who believe we must be kind and respectful of all people no matter how objectionable, rude, bullying, paranoid, and downright destructive of the social order, is that turning the other cheek and maintaining civility only works so long then you become a martyr for the wrong reasons. It isn't just that the trouble makers and law breakers are essentially morally bad, uncompromising, stubborn, and are like broken records repeating false teachings, there usually aren't that many redeeming virtues with them either.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

notorial dissent wrote:I put a lot of it down to simply being unable to read and comprehend a simple English sentence, which admittedly a lot of the tax stuff isn't, and it is just easier to regurgitate what someone else has already written, since they don't understand that either, but at least it agrees with what theyvery desperately want to believe.
I'll toss in a point that I've mentioned one other time, but which has resonated with me since I first read a reference to it in LPC's FAQ--I seriously believe that an awful lot of the hardcore TPs suffer from some sort of delusional mental illness. I realize that many of us think of them as "delusional," but I would assert that they meet the DSM definition of the word, not just Webster's.
Last edited by Lowlander on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I will have to agree with a good portion of what you are saying, as many of them exhibit a serious and concerning lack of critical thinking ability, which is what gets a great many of them in to the trouble they are. I do think greed plays a substantial part in all this as well, and some of them just don't want to and will use any handy excuse not to.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

That is all true and a term very familiar to divorce lawyers comes to mind; the "egg-sucking dog", and in this case an addiction to legal meddling and trouble making:

"It is a fact of common knowledge that when a dog has once acquired the habit of egg-sucking there is no available way by which he may be broken of it, and that there is no calculable limit to his appetite in the indulgence of the habitual propensity. And generally he has a sufficient degree of intelligence that he will commit the offense, and return to it upon every clear opportunity, in such a stealthy way that he can seldom be caught in the act itself." http://nmisscommentor.com/food/more-leg ... cking-dog/
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Post by Joey Smith »

To answer an earlier question:

Joe Bannister apparently came to the conclusion that he could make a lot more money selling de-tax snake oil than working for the IRS, which was probably right (but, then, the same is true for narco-traffickers and pimps), but he himself never doubted the legality of taxes which is why he kept filing his returns and paying taxes, even while selling others into not doing so (arguably, protected speech under the First Amendment).

Sherry Peel, on the other hand, apparently "drank the koolaid" and decided that the tax protestors were right and quit filing her own returns -- and she, and they, were wrong.

And that is exactly why Sherry went to prison, and Joe did not.
- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -