Doreen Hendrickson Retrial Set for July 21, 2014

LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Re: Doreen Hendrickson Retrial Set for July 21, 2014

Post by LPC »

BrainySmurf76 wrote:As far as people there, last I inquired about the trial in November, maybe 3 were in attendance. Sad considering all who've been helped from Peters work,
Choke, choke, gag.

C'mon, even Peter hasn't been helped by "Peter's work." Even Doreen, his wife, might now be added to the list of people who have gone to jail thanks to "Peter's work."
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
LPC

Post by LPC »

Countryboy wrote:The Prosecution also introduced 300 pages of new witness testimony that Pete and Doreen have never seen before.
Highly unlikely, because federal rules require the government to turn over evidence to the defense before trial.
Countryboy wrote:Some potential jurors were asked if they disliked the government or any of its extensions. Some potential jurors admitted they disliked the government...and the Prosecution used their strikes to make sure those people didn't end up on the jury. I guess those jurors never learned to keep their mouth shut if they dislike the government.
Or, those jurors had learned that, if you don't want to serve on a jury, the easiest way to get struck is to claim that you dislike (or don't trust) the government.
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

As an aside, if someone asked me whether I disliked or distrusted the government, I would have to say "yes". :sarcasmon: Just look at all the non-convictions of tax protesters.

Should I lie on voir dire, if the question is asked? (I shouldn't ask that here, I'm sure the Attorney General is watching....)
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Highly unlikely, because federal rules require the government to turn over evidence to the defense before trial.
It could have been Jencks Act/ section 3500 material (prior statements by witnesses who will be testifying at trial). Some judges will permit the prosecution to turn that over at the last minute. (The statute doesn't require that such statements be turned over until after the witness testifies on direct examination, 18 U.S.C. 3500 (a), but that inevitably causes a long recess between direct examination and cross-examination while the defense lawyer studies the prior testimony, so it is routine to turn it over before trial. But how long before varies by judge and prosecutor.)
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Docket entry, Wed., July 23, 2014:
Minute Entry for proceedings held before District Judge Victoria A. Roberts: Jury Trial Held and Continued as to Doreen M. Hendrickson on 7/23/2014. Jury Trial continued to 7/24/2014 09:00 AM before District Judge Victoria A. Roberts(Court Reporter: Janice Coleman) (AUSA: Melissa Siskind) (Doreen Hendrickson pro se) (CPin) (Entered: 07/23/2014)
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

From "Countryboy" at lost horizons on Wed., July 23:
I honestly do not know what the 300 pages of witness testimony consists of. I haven't seen them. I am just forwarding information that I have access to. The 300 pages may be absolutely nothing and the Prosecution many have zero interest in using them in court - the 300 pages may be nothing more than an attrition tactic to make Pete and Doreen lose sleep reviewing the papers so it saps their energy making it harder for them to put on an effective defense.

Day 2

The Judge and Prosecution object/interrupt 7 times to Doreen's opening statements. Finally the Judge told Doreen she could not continue with her opening statements because they sounded too much like closing statements. (I guess that means the statements are perfectly acceptable for use as closing statements.)

Once the trial got underway, an IRS agent spent the day confirming that the Prosecutions exhibits actually were what the Prosecution claimed to be. This was such an exciting part of the trial that the judge appeared to tip her head backwards and fall asleep.

It is interesting to note that when the IRS agent was on the stand, some of the pieces of "evidence" the IRS agent claimed were IRS records were actually copies of refund checks posted to Pete's website, which Doreen brought to the court's attention. (Is it Doreen herself or is it Pete's website that is on trial here? Let's hope the jury notices this too.)
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Famspear wrote:From "Countryboy" at lost horizons on Wed., July 23:
It is interesting to note that when the IRS agent was on the stand, some of the pieces of "evidence" the IRS agent claimed were IRS records were actually copies of refund checks posted to Pete's website, which Doreen brought to the court's attention. (Is it Doreen herself or is it Pete's website that is on trial here? Let's hope the jury notices this too.)
What an idiot. Does countryboy keep exact duplicate copies of all the checks he writes? How does he expect the IRS to show who has done what with a refund check if it has been cashed?
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

ArthurWankspittle wrote:What an idiot. Does countryboy keep exact duplicate copies of all the checks he writes? How does he expect the IRS to show who has done what with a refund check if it has been cashed?
And, of course, the fact that the material may have been copied by IRS personnel from Blowhard Hendrickson's lost horizons web site does not change the fact that the material is indeed an IRS record.

:twisted:
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

Refund checks do not come from the IRS. They are issued by a totally different division of Treasury.

Thus, obtaining a copy of a previously-issued check (by IRS or DoJ) requires formal procedures up and down several levels of management.

It is MUCH more efficient use of taxpayers' funds (the real taxpayers who actually fund the government) to take a screen shot of a check posted by the payee.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

AndyK wrote:screen shot of a check posted by the payee.
As many an attorney has been known to say, "If you don't want to create evidence, keep your mouth shut and don't write anything down."

To which might be added "and don't post anything on the internet."

Which is technically included in the original old saw, but is good example for the especially stupid and ignorant such as the average TP. Of course, a TP would have to have a lawyer and be willing to listen to advice to benefit. Neither is likely, since TPs know everything about everything.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Apparently, "Countryboy's" source for information on the trial is the weblog of Hendrickson's daughter:

http://mssunshinesmoothie.blogspot.com/ ... -results=8
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Sadly, in that weblog, Hendrickson's daughter reports the recent passing of her uncle (Pete Hendrickson's brother, the attorney) under very distressing circumstances which I won't describe (but you can read the material yourself). I have no personal knowledge about the situation, but I imagine that Hendrickson's brother might have been estranged from Pete after certain things that happened (between Pete and his brother) in the trial that resulted in Pete's most recent conviction and prison term. If so, that might make the brother's demise that much more painful for Pete, his wife and kids.

Although much of the troubles in that family are troubles that some family members have created for themselves, I feel sad that they have been through so much pain.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

The Court docket indicates that the trial continues on Friday.

Based on the postings in the weblog for Doreen's daughter, it appears that the prosecution rested today (Thursday), and that Doreen took the witness stand.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Somehow, i just can't imagine that went well, whatever her intentions were.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
LPC

Post by LPC »

Famspear wrote:I imagine that Hendrickson's brother might have been estranged from Pete after certain things that happened (between Pete and his brother) in the trial that resulted in Pete's most recent conviction and prison term. If so, that might make the brother's demise that much more painful for Pete, his wife and kids.
Just to clarify: You are talking about the Peter Hendrickson who has encouraged people to file tax returns that have resulted in penalties, sanctions, financial ruin, and even imprisonment for the people who have followed his advice, for which Hendrickson blames *them* and takes no responsibility?

I suppose it's *possible* that he would feel more empathy towards his brother, but I doubt it.

From Wikipedia: "Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a personality disorder[1] in which a person is excessively preoccupied with personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity, mentally unable to see the destructive damage they are causing to themselves and to others in the process."

From PsychCentral: "Narcissistic Personality Disorder is characterized by a long-standing pattern of grandiosity (either in fantasy or actual behavior), an overwhelming need for admiration, and usually a complete lack of empathy toward others."
Dan Evans
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

If Doreen took the stand, the cross-examination would be quite interesting. I wish we could get a report from someone other than her daughter.

Does anyone remember-- did she take the stand at the first trial (the one that ended in a hung jury)?
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

MICHIGAN WOMAN CONVICTED OF CRIMINAL CONTEMPT

WASHINGTON – A federal jury in Detroit convicted a Commerce Township, Michigan, woman of criminal contempt based on violating an injunction that required her to comply with various legal tax obligations, the Justice Department and Internal Revenue Service (IRS) announced today.

Doreen Hendrickson was convicted of criminal contempt based on her violation of an injunction issued by U.S. District Judge Nancy Edmunds in May 2007. Hendrickson failed to file amended tax returns or repay the tax refunds as ordered by the judge, and filed an additional false tax return for 2008 on which she falsely claimed that wages she earned as a movie extra were not taxable. For more information about the injunction, please see the previously issued press release. She will be sentenced on Nov. 20.

According to court filings and evidence presented at trial, Hendrickson and her husband, Peter Hendrickson, filed federal income tax returns for the years 2002 and 2003 on which they falsely claimed they earned zero wages. Based on these false returns, the IRS issued the Hendricksons more than $20,000 in income tax refunds that they were not entitled to receive. In 2006, the department’s Tax Division sued the Hendricksons to recover these refunds. As part of that case, Judge Edmunds ordered the Hendricksons to file corrected amended tax returns for 2002 and 2003 that reported all of their income, and to repay their fraudulently obtained refunds to the IRS. Judge Edmunds also barred the Hendricksons from filing additional false tax returns.

The Hendricksons’ false 2002 and 2003 income tax returns were the subject of a prior criminal prosecution. In 2009, Hendrickson’s husband, Peter Hendrickson, was convicted of filing multiple false income tax returns, including the 2002 and 2003 returns that he filed jointly with his wife. According to evidence presented at trial, these tax returns were based on the false and frivolous theories that Peter Hendrickson promoted in his book, “Cracking the Code,” and on his website, Lost Horizons. Doreen Hendrickson filed her false 2008 income tax return while her husband was indicted for filing false tax returns.

The case was investigated by special agents of IRS – Criminal Investigation, and prosecuted by Trial Attorneys Melissa S. Siskind, Jeffrey B. Bender and Jeffrey A. McLellan of the Tax Division.
Demo.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Well, I can't say this comes as any kind of surprise, except maybe to Doreen. i wonder what she'll get sentenced for her efforts?

Let the rationalization and spinning begin.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Paths of the Sea
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Paths of the Sea »

This could be an excellent case study for Kent Hovind and his people.

If there is no Hendrickson-like delay, Hovind's criminal contempt trial is scheduled for September.

Sincerely,
Maury Enthusiast!
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

That was fast.

Now we wait for the reactions over at losthorizons?