Meet the Dragons

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

Siegfried Shrink
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Posts: 686
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 10:29 pm
Location: West Midlands, England
Contact:

Re: Meet the Dragons

Postby Siegfried Shrink » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:21 pm

Call me a snob, but I'd not buy a well used idea from anyone who speaks like that. It's an accent that you associate with people who piss in your garden on the way home from the pub.

JimUk1
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: Meet the Dragons

Postby JimUk1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:51 pm

letissier14 wrote:Day out anyone? :lol:

Image


Please God NO!

This is at the top of my street!!

I might pop down and take a photo :haha:

NB: Graham if you read this, these is a fine alehouse in Hoylake just up the road that would undoubtedly welcome racists .....

Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Posts: 5813
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:45 am
Location: The Evergreen Playground

Re: Meet the Dragons

Postby Burnaby49 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:36 pm

You live in one of my favorite pubbing towns. I've been there half a dozen times. Small enough to be easily walkable but with an excellent selecton of pubs. Sadly The Ship Victory, one of my favorites, shut down. But there's still the Brewery Tap.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs

JimUk1
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: Meet the Dragons

Postby JimUk1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:40 pm

Burnaby49 wrote:You live in one of my favorite pubbing towns. I've been there half a dozen times. Small enough to be easily walkable but with an excellent selecton of pubs. Sadly The Ship Victory, one of my favorites, shut down. But there's still the Brewery Tap.


It's the only reason I moved here.

The spouse (a Birkenheader.) was a distant second, and there was no chance of moving there.

A little too quiet for me the old Brewery Tap, I'm usually few doors down in the Bear and Billet.

But every thursday I do enjoy the Cellar bar.

I hope the Dragons don't visit any of the places I've mentioned.

Ship victory is now a bus station.

Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Posts: 5813
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:45 am
Location: The Evergreen Playground

Re: Meet the Dragons

Postby Burnaby49 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:09 pm

The Brewery Tap started an entirely new hobby for me. I love the tongue sandwich meat in British groceries, I try to live off it when in England because you can't get it here. The curing makes the difference. We were walking past the Brewery Tap at lunch time and I saw 'Boiled Tongue' on the menu. Went in, tried it and it was great. Cured, boiled, then grilled and served with a caper sauce. Went back at dinner and had it again. Essentially the same as the deli meat. I decided try to replicate it at home by learning how to cure meats. I finally figured curing out and my cured tongue is as good as the one at the Brewery Tap. So now I make my own tongue, bacon, pork hocks, and corned beef.

I can see the Ship Victory as a bus stop. It was in an extremely odd location marooned in that huge parking lot. I'm also a fan of the Shropshire Arms and the Little Oak, both old dumps. You're spoiled for choices.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs

Wakeman52
First Mate
First Mate
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:50 pm
Location: North of the Watford Gap, UK

Re: Meet the Dragons

Postby Wakeman52 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:17 pm

He's picked a Saturday, 2 weeks before Christmas, with a forecast of
Windy and bitterly cold with scattered snow showers on Saturday, but also plenty of fine and sunny weather. BBC


He may not get the cheerful welcome he's expecting from folk engaged in shopping etc. :snicker:
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it - Terry Pratchett.

Pox
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Posts: 924
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:17 pm

Re: Meet the Dragons

Postby Pox » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:14 pm

I also live within a handful of miles of Chester but won't be making a special trip to go and see some idiots outside the cathedral.
Burnaby - as a kid, I have a memory of a cows tongue soaking in a bowl of brine in an outhouse and at some point, maybe after cooking it, being 'pressed' with some sort of a weight (a brick maybe).
We must of eaten it I assume, but I don't remember.
Occasionally I do buy a few slices for a sandwich but I have never eaten it warm/hot.
I have eaten a few slices of cows heart once, that was also very tasty and tender.
Has Quatloos turned into a recipe swap site????

longdog
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Posts: 1846
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:53 am

Re: Meet the Dragons

Postby longdog » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:17 pm

Pox wrote:I also live within a handful of miles of Chester but won't be making a special trip to go and see some idiots outside the cathedral.
Burnaby - as a kid, I have a memory of a cows tongue soaking in a bowl of brine in an outhouse and at some point, maybe after cooking it, being 'pressed' with some sort of a weight (a brick maybe).
We must of eaten it I assume, but I don't remember.
Occasionally I do buy a few slices for a sandwich but I have never eaten it warm/hot.
I have eaten a few slices of cows heart once, that was also very tasty and tender.
Has Quatloos turned into a recipe swap site????


If it has my all natural smokey barbecue sauce / marinade is second to none.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?

Siegfried Shrink
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Posts: 686
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 10:29 pm
Location: West Midlands, England
Contact:

Re: Meet the Dragons

Postby Siegfried Shrink » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:12 am

An occasional diversion from the dismal antics of unfortunate people raises the spirits and helps remind us that most people are not crazy.

I like heart, cow and lamb heart, but Cook won't prepare it as it looks too much like body parts. It has just occoured to me to get the butcher to pre slice it! Yay!

longdog
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Posts: 1846
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:53 am

Re: Meet the Dragons

Postby longdog » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:36 am

Siegfried Shrink wrote:An occasional diversion from the dismal antics of unfortunate people raises the spirits and helps remind us that most people are not crazy.

I like heart, cow and lamb heart, but Cook won't prepare it as it looks too much like body parts. It has just occoured to me to get the butcher to pre slice it! Yay!


Cook it yourself you lazy sod :-D Braised gently with red wine, shallots, carrots perhaps a little parsnip plus herbs and spices to your personal taste or add potatoes, celery, peas and whatever else you have lying around for a one pot meal. Dumplings or crusty bread and butter to serve.

Cooking is a great hobby that I came to very early in life thanks to a mother whose idea of a good meal was boiled mince (being sure to pour the cooking water down the sink), boiled potatoes and boiled cabbage. To be taken at least three times per week... No seasonings. :roll:
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?

Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Posts: 5813
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:45 am
Location: The Evergreen Playground

Re: Meet the Dragons

Postby Burnaby49 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:38 am

Longdog, are you my long lost brother? We clearly had the same mother.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs

longdog
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Posts: 1846
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:53 am

Re: Meet the Dragons

Postby longdog » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:50 am

Burnaby49 wrote:Longdog, are you my long lost brother? We clearly had the same mother.


:mrgreen:

I think the only thing that kept me going until school dinners came along was the fact my dad would cook on Saturday and while it was cheap and simple fare like spam fritters and chips or just a big plate of sprats and toast it actually had some flavour 8)
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?

rogfulton
Caveat Venditor
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:08 am
Location: No longer behind the satellite dish, second door along - in fact, not even in the same building.

Re: Meet the Dragons

Postby rogfulton » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:36 pm

Burnaby49 wrote:Longdog, are you my long lost brother? We clearly had the same mother.

I was thinking the same thing. Although my mother would occasionally add sliced smoked sausage.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor."
- President Theodore Roosevelt

longdog
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Posts: 1846
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:53 am

Re: Meet the Dragons

Postby longdog » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:33 pm

rogfulton wrote:
Burnaby49 wrote:Longdog, are you my long lost brother? We clearly had the same mother.

I was thinking the same thing. Although my mother would occasionally add sliced smoked sausage.


Smoked sausage? Oh the sheer decadence!

Also "foreign muck" by my mum's definition.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?

AndyPandy
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Posts: 1161
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:29 pm

Re: Meet the Dragons

Postby AndyPandy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:58 pm

rogfulton wrote:
Burnaby49 wrote:Longdog, are you my long lost brother? We clearly had the same mother.

I was thinking the same thing. Although my mother would occasionally add sliced smoked sausage.


My mother had a penchant for tripe and onions boiled in milk, I don't know about flavour but it certainly stank to high heavens.

User avatar
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth
Posts: 10889
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:17 pm

Re: Meet the Dragons

Postby notorial dissent » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:34 pm

You really truly are scaring me.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Posts: 5813
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:45 am
Location: The Evergreen Playground

Re: Meet the Dragons

Postby Burnaby49 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:37 pm

My mother had a penchant for tripe and onions boiled in milk, I don't know about flavour but it certainly stank to high heavens.


I cook tripe frequently and have it in soups and stews. Tripe is the most nutritious part of the entire cow. High in minerals and protein, almost no fat. I buy it at Dollar Meats in Chinatown. The Chinese love it. T&T, our Chinese grocery superstore, always has it available in the cooked food deli section, usually in a hot chili sauce. It's also available in many Chinese restaurants. Once cooked, if prepared properly, it has almost no flavour and absorbs the flavour of whatever sauce you cook or serve it in.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs

longdog
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Posts: 1846
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:53 am

Re: Meet the Dragons

Postby longdog » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:26 pm

Burnaby49 wrote:The Chinese love it.


Much as I love Chinese food I'm not sure being popular amongst the most populous nation is much of a recommendation. The only part of a duck they won't eat is the quack and some of the things for sale in my local Chinese supermarket beggar belief.

And then there's tofu... :shrug:
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?

Chaos
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Posts: 579
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:53 pm

Re: Meet the Dragons

Postby Chaos » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:51 pm

Burnaby49 wrote:You live in one of my favorite pubbing towns.


seriously? you say that about everybody. :D

Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Posts: 5813
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:45 am
Location: The Evergreen Playground

Re: Meet the Dragons

Postby Burnaby49 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:50 am

Chaos wrote:
Burnaby49 wrote:You live in one of my favorite pubbing towns.


seriously? you say that about everybody. :D


My three favorites are London (obviously), Liverpool (fantastic), and Chester. I've been to Chester four times pubbing and once on top of that with wife and kids. This is the list of Chester pubs I've imbibed in;

Albion Inn, Bear and Billet, Beehive, Boathouse, Bouverie, Brewery Tap, Bridge Inn, Bridgewater Arms. Cherry Orchard, Coach House Inn, Commercial Hotel, Cross Foxes, Cross Keys, Egerton Arms, Ermine, Falcon, Forest House (Wetherspoons), Little Oak, Liver Hotel, Lock Vaults, Marlborough Arms, Northgate Arms, Oddfellow’s Arms, Old Harker Arms, Old Queen’s Head, Olde Cottage, Peacock, Pied Bull, Railway Inn. Ship, Ship Victory, Shropshire Arms, Telford's Warehouse, Temple Bar, Union Vaults, Victoria, Ye Olde Boot Inn, Ye Olde Custom House, Ye Olde King's Head.

Some, like the Liver Hotel, Ermine, Ship Victory, are gone. Peacock went out of business and re-opened.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs


Return to “United Kingdom”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests