Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

JimUk1
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Hannah Shotbolt- An English Rose

Post by JimUk1 »

Burnaby49 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:50 pm
JimUk1 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:14 pm
I once dated a girl (in the Old White Harte of all places) who believed in some quackery, believed that big pharma was killing us, which surprised me because she was from an affluent part of town, Kirk Ella. It went down hill rapidly when see called my favourite pub in the world “an old mans place with the atmosphere of funeral”. That maybe true but it really hurt my feelings, say what you like about big pharma but never insult the dank.
Sounds like my kind of place, granted I'm now an old man. Which one was it?
I’ve always thought of Hull as Liverpool’s evil twin sat as they are at opposite ends of the M62 and with similar ‘demographics’ in their respective citizenry, shall we say. Then I went there and discovered some gems of pubs including the Empress, the Lion and Key and William Hawkes.
There are some great pubs in central Hull. It's a CAMRA favorite for heritage pubs. Try Ye Olde White Hart and the Black Boy next time. While not heritage I also like the Whalebone.
It was of course the Ye Olde White Hart, just off the land of green ginger. Think the White Hart just around the corner made a slight recovery, not sure what state it’s in now.

My parents drink in the Whale Bone from time to time, as for me I’ve never been in, it’s definitely unique in its location.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

I paid a visit to the White Hart for a beer in 2018 when I was passing through Hull with my wife. It was a goal because it has one of the very few (about a dozen) Victorian ceramic bars left in the UK. The Polar Bear in Hull is another. The White Hart had very recently re-opened and was cleaned and tidied up.

It was one of two Hull pubs I had a beer at in a very brief visit. The other was the Punch. I know, an old boozer, but it had two draws. Firstly my wife wanted to visit Hull's art gallery and it was next door. I did the same thing in Wolverhampton where I had a couple at the Poseda while my wife perused the art gallery across the street. Second was a sentimental attachment. According to my mother my great-great-great aunt Florrie worked behind the Punch bar for about 40 years. She ended up at the Criterion, an even bigger dump.

Whale Bone is a very nice little boozer. I'm planning a big final UK pub blowout in a few years, virus permitting, and we'll be spending at least two nights in Hull. Whale Bone definitely on the list.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
letissier14

Post by letissier14 »

She is back

Free Julian Assange

I don't take sides, I read all the facts and then come to my own conclusions
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

letissier14 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:32 pm Free Julian Assange
...With Every Packet of Cornflakes
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

letissier14 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:32 pm She is back

Free Julian Assange

There are good arguments to free Julian Assange. This isn't one of them. [Details would probably fall under "politics", so will be left to other fora.]
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
longdog

Post by longdog »

Arthur Rubin wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:19 pm There are good arguments to free Julian Assange. This isn't one of them. [Details would probably fall under "politics", so will be left to other fora.]
There are but none of them are sufficient to overcome the fact I can't stand the delusional, arrogant fruitcake and would happily watch him rot in jail for eternity.

That's not politics, just gratuitous abuse :mrgreen:
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

longdog wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:08 pm That's not politics, just gratuitous abuse :mrgreen:
Gratuitous abuse? I came here for an argument.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Dr. Caligari wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:36 pm
longdog wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:08 pm That's not politics, just gratuitous abuse :mrgreen:
Gratuitous abuse? I came here for an argument.
No, you didn't. You came here for an argument.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
longdog

Post by longdog »

That was never five minutes!
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
YiamCross

Post by YiamCross »

longdog wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:17 pm That was never five minutes!
And you try & tell that to the young kids of today. They won't believe you.
slowsmile

Post by slowsmile »

It would appear that Hannah is now calling herself a lawyer and is complaining to the ICC that Covid policy contravenes Nuremberg Laws, Treaties of Rome etc.

Not so sure how many lawyers have a hotmail e-mail address;

https://hannahroselaw.co.uk/icc-complaint-uk/

and ask for donations.

Mind you, some splendid fruitcake among the applicants;

https://www.docdroid.com/WUjv6iw/icc-co ... pdf#page=2
hucknallred

Post by hucknallred »

The first sentence has one O'Bonkers would be proud of...
proprio motu
exiledscouser

Post by exiledscouser »

What with Hannah’s new legal career and qualification fresh off her computer, that stalwart figure Piers Corbyn fully on board, I’m further impressed that they’ve secured the support of funeral director and activist John O’Loony. With fellow travellers such as these, what could possibly go wrong?

Throw in a few graphs and a rambling dialogue full of typos containing references to the ”Great Reset” whilst drawing parallels with Nazi Germany, weave in a conspiracy or two, allege that Boris has done a diabolical deal with Bill Gates to murder us all, parcel it all up, pop a stamp on and await results to your Hotmail account. There, done.

Welcome back Hannah, top notch entertainment as always!
hucknallred

Post by hucknallred »

exiledscouser wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:00 amthat stalwart figure Piers Corbyn
Whilst reesurching him, I was surprised to find that he does in fact have an MSc in Astrophysics.
I wonder why these people fall off the scientific wagon? You don't see Brian May doing this nonsense.
longdog

Post by longdog »

hucknallred wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:57 am
exiledscouser wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:00 amthat stalwart figure Piers Corbyn
Whilst reesurching him, I was surprised to find that he does in fact have an MSc in Astrophysics.
I wonder why these people fall off the scientific wagon? You don't see Brian May doing this nonsense.
True but a now ex friend of mine has a MSc in Astrophysics and he went full QAnon hence the ex bit. Coincidence?* :shrug:

* Yes.
hucknallred

Post by hucknallred »

longdog wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:09 pm True but a now ex friend of mine has a MSc in Astrophysics and he went full QAnon hence the ex bit. Coincidence?* :shrug:
I have to say a lot of people I've encountered over the years with Degrees were actually as thick as shit.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

My Jewish friends tell me that "nudnik" (NOOD-nick) is the Yiddish term for a person who is a pest, a nag, or something similar. The book "The Joys of Yiddish" tells us that a "phudnik" is a nudnik with a Ph. D.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
longdog

Post by longdog »

hucknallred wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:45 pm
longdog wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:09 pm True but a now ex friend of mine has a MSc in Astrophysics and he went full QAnon hence the ex bit. Coincidence?* :shrug:
I have to say a lot of people I've encountered over the years with Degrees were actually as thick as shit.
Yep. A fact my university lecturer bestest bud and drinking partner will confirm. It depends on the subject but most bachelor degrees can be passed with minimal intelligence and a good memory. Taught masters degrees much the same but research based ones far less so. PhDs are almost always awarded for original work and a good memory is extremely useful but it's unlikely to carry you through to a successful viva on its own.

The selection process for a pfud is supposed to weed out the cabbages before they start but apparently they do still slip through although they are unlikely to get very far. To my understanding if your PhD supervisor twigs that you're just a bullshitter with a good memory you are effectively finished at that institution.

Said mate has said, half in jest, that to get a PhD you either need to be spectacularly intelligent and determined or somewhere on the autistic spectrum with an almost pathological obsession for your subject. He puts himself in the latter category.

All that having been said there's one guy with a PhD I know (and avoid) who I'm not sure is thick as shit, socially inept beyond belief or the world's most boring man. His PhD is in philosophy which I've always considered a load of self-perpetuating bullshit as an academic subject. But then I have six O Levels so what do I know? And what do we really mean by 'know'? And what do we mean by 'mean'? <continue ad nauseam and pretend you are being deep and philosophical>
Last edited by longdog on Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

A college/University degree, even in a highly technical discipline indicates an ability in that area, and probably fair intelligence and nothing else. It does not also indicate common sense or even functional life skills. As witness the number of doctors, lawyers, dentists, airline pilots, and chiropractors who regularly involve themselves in highly questionable and dubious legal and tax schemes only to have it all eventually come down around their ears.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
longdog

Post by longdog »

notorial dissent wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:20 pm A college/University degree, even in a highly technical discipline indicates an ability in that area, and probably fair intelligence and nothing else. It does not also indicate common sense or even functional life skills. As witness the number of doctors, lawyers, dentists, airline pilots, and chiropractors who regularly involve themselves in highly questionable and dubious legal and tax schemes only to have it all eventually come down around their ears.
Doctoring and lawyering I consider to be mostly academic subjects. Dentisting and piloting are skilled manual labour. Chiropractic is just quackery as far as I'm concerned and on the same level of respectability as fraudster. Actually make that is just another name for fraudster.