Hannah Shotbolt- An English Rose

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

John Uskglass
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Hannah Shotbolt- An English Rose

Post by John Uskglass »

I don't think law enforcement will just let her off with a warning.
I think I'm right in saying that if the stop was in 2014, it predates the use of roadside drug tests. These days, if you were stopped with a spliff on the go, or even if your car smelled of weed, you'd be drug wiped.

There is of course, no truth to the idea that 'car smells of weed' is the new 'driving while Black'.
rosy

Post by rosy »

This popped up in my twitter feed about the doomed case at the ICC:

Comments are a hoot.

We're all going to die in 18 months apparently. I suppose that means I shouldn't buy tickets for Elton John's Farewell Yellow Brick Road tour.
longdog

Post by longdog »

Well I'm still waiting to die from the vaccination and I'm well past the six months that it would take to definitely kill me to death.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
Normal Wisdom

Post by Normal Wisdom »

I see that 'Hannah Rose' is described in the document (presumably by 'Hannah Rose' herself) as a lawyer. Wouldn't that mean that she was licensed to practice law not just that somehow she managed to obtain a law degree? As far as I can see there is no evidence that she is a 'lawyer'.

Similarly I notice that another of the signatories is Louise Shotbolt who is described as a 'nurse'. However there is nobody of that name on the Nursing and Midwifery register.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Maybe, sweet little Hannah "read" the law, such as was done before law schools came into being, and thinks that she is now a lawyer.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
longdog

Post by longdog »

Or maybe it's 'lawyer' with a silent 'barrack room'.
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

longdog wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:10 pm Or maybe it's 'lawyer' with a silent 'barrack room'.
She is probably a graduate of the YouTube School of Law, with graduate work at the Facebook Institute of Constitutional Law.
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

noblepa wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:56 pm She is probably a graduate of the YouTube School of Law, with graduate work at the Facebook Institute of Constitutional Law.
I genuinely think she has a law qualification. She said she was going to study for one a few years ago. There is no reason to think that she didn't follow through with that threat.

What she isn't is a registered solicitor. Now whether her claims to be a lawyer rise to the level of practicing law without a licence is a different matter.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

What the Owl said above ^
I too think she talked about getting qualifications.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
hucknallred

Post by hucknallred »

Her conviction for glassing a teenage girl in the face (GATGITF) prevents her from being an actual solicitor I believe.
longdog

Post by longdog »

ArthurWankspittle wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:04 am What the Owl said above ^
I too think she talked about getting qualifications.
I've talked about getting qualifications for the last 40 years and, with the exception of various driving licences and plant operator's tickets, that's all it turned out to be. Talk.

I suspect her idea of a legal qualification and mine may not be the same.
hucknallred

Post by hucknallred »

longdog wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:58 amvarious driving licences and plant operator's tickets, that's all it turned out to be. Talk.
I'll see those & raise you with a Pivot Steer FLT licence.

Can we include ones you do just to have a morning off, like Fire Warden?
John Uskglass

Post by John Uskglass »

In the good old days when the back of your payslip as a council worker had a long list in tiny print of the various allowances and such that were coded on the front (my favourite was always 'deep graves money') I did a first aid qualification because not only did you get three days off, but also an extra £2.50 a week.
longdog

Post by longdog »

hucknallred wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:16 pm
longdog wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:58 amvarious driving licences and plant operator's tickets, that's all it turned out to be. Talk.
I'll see those & raise you with a Pivot Steer FLT licence.

One of the few tickets I've never had is any form of FLT. I went from there being no such thing as a FLT "licence" to working for employers who didn't care if there was or not. Of course the law doesn't actually say (or didn't last time I checked) that a FLT driver has to have a 'licence', they just have to be competent. As I've been operating them since I was 16 years old and never had an accident* I'm deemed competent. In my own mind anyway.

I do have a couple of MEWP tickets and one for a BobCat.

* Unless you count one bursting into flames on me. That was exciting. Luckily for the company the gas bottle ran out before it had a chance to set alight to the warehouse. It could have burned to the ground for all I cared. When fires involve propane bottles I run very rapidly in the general direction of away.
mufc1959

Post by mufc1959 »

Surprisingly, you don't have to be a qualified solicitor or barrister to call yourself a lawyer in England & Wales. You can't hold yourself out as practising law, but any old Joe or Jane can open a business and say they are 'lawyers', provided they don't cross the line into carrying out reserved activities.

See about half-way down the page where the SRA defines 'lawyer'.

https://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/choosi ... explained/
Eaststander
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by Eaststander »

John Uskglass wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:45 pm
In the good old days when the back of your payslip as a council worker had a long list in tiny print of the various allowances and such that were coded on the front (my favourite was always 'deep graves money') I did a first aid qualification because not only did you get three days off, but also an extra £2.50 a week.
Sorry to extend the thread hijack, but working in payroll departments in the NHS eons ago, we also had a long list of allowances, one of which was called ‘dirty money’. I seem to remember that it applied to engineering staff cleaning the inside of boilers. There were even three grades of dirty money, depending on the degree of ‘dirtyness’.
Normal Wisdom

Post by Normal Wisdom »

noblepa wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:56 pm
longdog wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:10 pm Or maybe it's 'lawyer' with a silent 'barrack room'.
She is probably a graduate of the YouTube School of Law, with graduate work at the Facebook Institute of Constitutional Law.
I understand that she really did get a degree in law from The University of Gloucestershire and also did some work as a paralegal / legal secretary at a couple of local law firms. Of course none of this means that she is a 'lawyer' i.e. qualified to practice law. To be fair she always said that she had no intention of ever entering the legal profession and merely undertook the study as means to better 'understand the enemy' and it's better than getting a job.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
John Uskglass

Post by John Uskglass »

I can certainly see where having a law degree would be a great advantage for an FMOTL type. Much more impressive than just having a collection of old law books. It's going to make your arguments about 'legalese' and all the rest seem that much more credible. Combine that with being a personable young woman, and it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that you could end up making more money than as an entry level solicitor, if your social media operation is slick enough. :)

Bet Waugh would love to add her to his crack legal team.
longdog

Post by longdog »

John Uskglass wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:11 pm I can certainly see where having a law degree would be a great advantage for an FMOTL type. Much more impressive than just having a collection of old law books. It's going to make your arguments about 'legalese' and all the rest seem that much more credible. Combine that with being a personable young woman, and it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that you could end up making more money than as an entry level solicitor, if your social media operation is slick enough. :)

Bet Waugh would love to add her to his crack legal team.
The down side of course being that if you have a law degree you must know that the FMOTL theories are all complete bollocks. That means you go from getting the benefit of the doubt and being labelled stupid or ignorant or both to there being no doubt you are just dishonest.
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

She could be the common law lawyer, to Mr Edward W Ellis Common Law Barrister.
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.