AnOwlCalledSage
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Hannah Shotbolt- An English Rose

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

This comment appeared on a You Tube video a month ago :snicker:

@hannahrose7372
1 month ago
#factcheck: I was a teenager when I glassed someone (over a decade ago) - she was in the 30’s
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
hucknallred

Post by hucknallred »

@thefreemanarchives6220
0 seconds ago
Thank you for confirming that you were convicted of a violent crime, video title updated to reflect the #factcheck.
hucknallred

Post by hucknallred »

She's piped back up in the comments after the previous comment.
yep I was. And yet the Bar Standards board have let me train as a barrister. Imagine that. Maybe you should get over it - literally everyone else has
Oh and another thing my name is Hannah Rose. If you’re going to make videos about me at least get my name right
Now I know she appeared in a video with that fruitcake Mark Sexton calling herself a lawyer, but training as a Barrister?
I'm no expert, but don't you have to be an actual lawyer to become one? There is an Hannah Rose on the SRA search, but it can't be her looking at the timing she'd have been in the slammer when she qualified.
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:21 pm
@hannahrose7372
1 month ago
#factcheck: I was a teenager when I glassed someone (over a decade ago) - she was in the 30’s
Glassed?
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
hucknallred

Post by hucknallred »

SpearGrass
Pirate
Pirate

Post by SpearGrass »

You don't have to be a lawyer to train as a barrister, that would be a bit circular. You have to have passed an academic component, such as a law degree, and then you can go on to the vocational component, i.e. training as a barrister. Once you've passed that you're a barrister. With that you can do legal work, but you can't represent people in court. To do that you need to pass a third step, a pupillage or other work-based component. It's only those people who will get on the register of barristers, and even then, only if they have a current practising certificate. You won't find Speargrass on it, for example, even though I did a pupillage, as the work I do now doesn't require a practising certificate.
https://www.barstandardsboard.org.uk/tr ... l-new.html

So once she got her law degree she could train as a barrister. She should have disclosed her conviction. If she applied to train after about 2017 (or maybe earlier, the press report isn't clear), it would have been spent. If that was a long time before she applied, the BSB might allow her to train anyway. But we don't even know if she told them about it. And I don't think she ever says that she was actually called as a barrister does she? So something must have intervened.

The key point is that it's not very relevant. Glassing someone doesn't become acceptable behaviour if the offender trained as a barrister.

If she was a pain (as it appears she was) during her degree course, she would have been even more of a pain in a bar training course, which is focussed solidly at people who want to work as lawyers, not people who want to bring the legal system down or at the very least dispense with the bits of the law they don't like.
Normal Wisdom

Post by Normal Wisdom »

Not having a law degree myself I wonder would she need to suppress her 'true beliefs' about the law in order to obtain one?
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
SpearGrass
Pirate
Pirate

Post by SpearGrass »

Not having a law degree myself I wonder would she need to suppress her 'true beliefs' about the law in order to obtain one?
Most degree courses set case studies that you apply the law to, or essay type questions where you explain it. There are some exams (the solicitors' SQE for example) which have multiple choice questions. And some courses have projects or coursework.

Markers give a mark for each correct legal statement - which can result in students throwing everything they know at a question in the hope some of it sticks.

But if you give pseudo-legal answers, you're not going to get the marks, so you'd not get a degree. And rightly, because if you believe that stuff you'd be a danger to your clients. You would have to suppress your beliefs in the exam or coursework. I don't think Hannah has a brain the size of a planet but she seems quite bright enough to have worked that out.