UK - Neelu Berry opens my eyes

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

Siegfried Shrink
First Mate
First Mate

Re: UK - Neelu Berry opens my eyes

Postby Siegfried Shrink » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:18 pm

longdog wrote:Given that we don't really go in for embalming in this country wouldn't closed coffin 'viewings' be the norm? Come to think of it... Do Brits go in for 'viewings' at all?

In my limited experience of British funerals, we box them up and burn or bury them with reasonable dignity but minimal trimmings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_American_Way_of_Death

The Loved One by Evelyn Waugh

were very popular here because we do find it fascinationg how Americans often take a basic idea and run with it to what some may consider beyond absurdity.

hucknallred
Pirate
Pirate

Postby hucknallred » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:34 pm

Siegfried Shrink wrote:In my limited experience of British funerals, we box them up and burn or bury them with reasonable dignity but minimal trimmings

We do, but still not cheap, thick end of £3k for my old man 2 years ago & no trimmings, cheapest coffin available & 2 cars for close family.
My Uncle went a few months later & must have made his wishes known beforehand as there was no funeral service. He was dispatched straight to the Crematorium, ashes collected a few days later & family & friends had a get together in a pub before tipping him into the river. Presumably just the Crem's gas bill to pay in this instance.

longdog
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Postby longdog » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:38 pm

hucknallred wrote:My Uncle went a few months later & must have made his wishes known beforehand as there was no funeral service. He was dispatched straight to the Crematorium, ashes collected a few days later & family & friends had a get together in a pub before tipping him into the river. Presumably just the Crem's gas bill to pay in this instance.

With the exception of being scattered in a specific piece of woodland rather than a river those are my instructions.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?

grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Postby grixit » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:06 pm

My organ donor card says "use what you can and mulch the rest".
I voted for Hillary, and i didn't even get a stupid tshirt!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4

Return to “United Kingdom”