Mark Gillard UK, he's trying.

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

TrialbySocialMedia
Swabby
Swabby

Re: Mark Gillard UK, he's trying.

Post by TrialbySocialMedia »

Hercule Parrot wrote:
TrialbySocialMedia wrote: But at least I was open and honest about the FMOTL fairy stories, WeRe bank andrex cheques, my views on Tom Crawfords loss and the myths with wet ink signatures. Not to mention many other topics.
Well done to you for that.
It needed saying Hercule :-)
NYGman
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by NYGman »

I saw a bit of it, but I had to turn it off. First and foremost, I can't watch anything where the host is smoking, I find it out of place, a throwback to 70s TV, and a distraction. It also reflects badly on you to the watcher. I don't want to dictate your vices, although I think today, vaping over smoking is probably a healthier alternative, but I mean is it really that hard to go 3 hours without a smoke? Light up before, do it in a break, but never on the screen, it is unprofessional. That and the swearing, made it hard for me to watch, as I have little kids running around and I don't need them to see or hear that. Other than that, it was good to see you try to help someone, but I couldn't watch long for aforementioned reasons. Hope next time to see it sans smoke and swearing,
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
YiamCross

Post by YiamCross »

TrialbySocialMedia wrote:
YiamCross wrote:Might be an interesting topic for Mark's next show.
A great Idea. It does seem odd for the government to be targeting the smaller, lower value property. So It would be interesting to get an indication of how many wealthy property types are repossesed in comparison.
Maybe invite Guy Taylor and Ebert on. They should know something about that.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

It does seem odd for the government to be targeting the smaller, lower value property.
It's almost like wealthy people have more money and thus can pay off their mortgages.
IDIOT

Post by IDIOT »

NYGman wrote:I saw a bit of it, but I had to turn it off. First and foremost, I can't watch anything where the host is smoking, I find it out of place, a throwback to 70s TV
Interesting you think that. I say if Mark wants to smoke let him smoke. Smoking increases one's attractiveness according to the adverts back in the day that they have now banned. Yet they still sell cigarettes for billions upon billions of tax profits... another topic for another time and place about maybe.

If a man wants to smoke let him smoke freely I say.
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

IDIOT wrote:
NYGman wrote:I saw a bit of it, but I had to turn it off. First and foremost, I can't watch anything where the host is smoking, I find it out of place, a throwback to 70s TV
Interesting you think that. I say if Mark wants to smoke let him smoke. Smoking increases one's attractiveness according to the adverts back in the day that they have now banned. Yet they still sell cigarettes for billions upon billions of tax profits... another topic for another time and place about maybe.

If a man wants to smoke let him smoke freely I say.
THe last person I remember smoking on TV was Morton Downey, Jr., and while Mark is no Morton, It really doesn't reflect well on him. That's all I am saying. If he want's to continue, so be it, I choose not to watch.

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
YiamCross

Post by YiamCross »

I must say I find it odd these days to see anyone smoking on screen and it was a little off-putting but I'm a tolerant sort of guy and it didn't grate too much.

I agree that it's not a positive indicator and the concensus seems to be smoking is a bad thing to be seen on TV. Even historical dramas where it would have been common in everyday life tend to avoid showing smokers where possible. On the other hand, what would a Dave Allen joke be without a few drags off a fag for timing & effect?

Still, it's Mark's house, it's Mark's show, they're Mark's lungs. It's Mark's choice. I know what it's like for heavy smokers, it's difficult not to. My old man stedfastly refuses to quit and he complains constantly about having to smoke outside pubs and other people's houses.
IDIOT

Post by IDIOT »

I smoke. I'm 50. I have never known anybody during my lifetime that has died or suffered any illness due to the fact they smoked at any time of their lives. Just saying as smoking has come up in the discussion.
YiamCross

Post by YiamCross »

IDIOT wrote:I smoke. I'm 50. I have never known anybody during my lifetime that has died or suffered any illness due to the fact they smoked at any time of their lives. Just saying as smoking has come up in the discussion.
Well all I can say is you're lucky. My paternal grandfather died in his early 60s from cancer. My maternal grandmother too. Both smoking related but of course there's rarely any way to prove the connection absolutely. My dad is in his early 80s and he smokes like a chimney. Who knows, who can tell. Statistically, though, it's a no brainer. Smoking kills and in a very nasty way. Even where it doesn't it debilitates and I think there's no doubt you're better off without it.
rumpelstilzchen

Post by rumpelstilzchen »

IDIOT wrote:I smoke. I'm 50. I have never known anybody during my lifetime that has died or suffered any illness due to the fact they smoked at any time of their lives. Just saying as smoking has come up in the discussion.
I'm quite a bit older than you and I have never know anybody during my lifetime who was killed in a car accident.
BHF wrote:
It shows your mentality to think someone would make the effort to post something on the internet that was untrue.
Bungle

Post by Bungle »

NYGman wrote:I saw a bit of it, but I had to turn it off. First and foremost, I can't watch anything where the host is smoking, I find it out of place, a throwback to 70s TV, and a distraction. It also reflects badly on you to the watcher. I don't want to dictate your vices, although I think today, vaping over smoking is probably a healthier alternative, but I mean is it really that hard to go 3 hours without a smoke? Light up before, do it in a break, but never on the screen, it is unprofessional. That and the swearing, made it hard for me to watch, as I have little kids running around and I don't need them to see or hear that. Other than that, it was good to see you try to help someone, but I couldn't watch long for aforementioned reasons. Hope next time to see it sans smoke and swearing,

I have watched a couple of Mark's other videos and I agree with your above observation. Well said. Also the swearing is simply not needed.
TUCO said to me:
“I envy you for the job that you do in helping advise people. If I could choose an occupation, this is what I would like to do. Much of the advice that I pass onto people is heavily influenced by your posts”.
hardcopy

Post by hardcopy »

So therefore smoking can't make you I'll or cause death?
I like your logic.
hardcopy

Post by hardcopy »

I don't know anyone who has been blown up in a bomb attack.
IDIOT

Post by IDIOT »

I see your points about bomb attacks and car crashes.
TrialbySocialMedia
Swabby
Swabby

NYGman wrote:I saw a bit of it, but I had to turn it off. First and foremost, I can't watch anything where the host is smoking, I find it out of place, a throwback to 70s TV, and a distraction. It also reflects badly on you to the watcher. I don't want to dictate your vices, although I think today, vaping over smoking is probably a healthier alternative, but I mean is it really that hard to go 3 hours without a smoke? Light up before, do it in a break, but never on the screen, it is unprofessional. That and the swearing, made it hard for me to watch, as I have little kids running around and I don't need them to see or hear that. Other than that, it was good to see you try to help someone, but I couldn't watch long for aforementioned reasons. Hope next time to see it sans smoke and swearing,
Hey NY, I appreciate your feedback. If this was MSM and I had 8 million viewers/listeners, was on a huge salary and had constraints and rules on smoking to abide to, I would of course refrain from smoking and swearing immediately when 'on air'

Listen guys, as is pointed out lower down this thread, this is my home, my lungs and my show. However, I think you and Bungle make great points. Maybe it’s time I toned that side down a little in order to appeal to a wider audience.

As I venture into Peoples Internet Radio with my own show now scheduled for Wednesdays 7-9, I of course will cease swearing. I agree it’s not necessary and only shows a lack of vocabulary. It's just a habit and when in my own environment I'm comfy with that.

As I later turn the radio podcast's into presenter style livestream, I will naturally refrain from smoking also. There will be time for a ciggy during the music breaks.

I know I don't comment on here much but I do enjoy the site when time allows me to come on. You guys are very smart and talk a lot of sense. I just wish the likes of Ceylon and co could see the benefits here and take something from the comments rather than getting all defensive and spitting their dummy out of the pram at the slightest criticism.
TrialbySocialMedia
Swabby
Swabby

NYGman wrote:as I have little kids running around and I don't need them to see or hear that. Other than that, it was good to see you try to help someone, but I couldn't watch long for aforementioned reasons. Hope next time to see it sans smoke and swearing,
My lad had gone out for the day and shame on me for not even thinking that others have their kids at home.

I appreciate all your comment but this has struck a personal chord with me, so cheers (lesson learned).
TrialbySocialMedia
Swabby
Swabby

YiamCross wrote:
Well all I can say is you're lucky. My paternal grandfather died in his early 60s from cancer. My maternal grandmother too. Both smoking related but of course there's rarely any way to prove the connection absolutely. My dad is in his early 80s and he smokes like a chimney. Who knows, who can tell. Statistically, though, it's a no brainer. Smoking kills and in a very nasty way. Even where it doesn't it debilitates and I think there's no doubt you're better off without it.
I have seen both Yiam, one was a heavy smoker and he died from cancer and my grandma smoked 40 Woodbines a day until she was in her 90's who passed through old age. I totally agree though that there are numerous health benefits to quitting. I personally struggle like mad to quit and actually enjoy a ciggy. I am going to take up vapour though.
TrialbySocialMedia
Swabby
Swabby

I'll just leave this here and say nothing other than it is funny and very well put together. I genuinely chuckled at this.

Obviously it's from the Jay Brad supporters and the Crawford camp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h2VFOMCNJM
YiamCross

Post by YiamCross »

TrialbySocialMedia wrote:... I am going to take up vapour though.
I'm an ex smoker myself so I can sympathise. All I can tell you is that my experience is that things get a lot worse for a good 6 weeks or so as your lungs rebel against all the crap you've put in over the years but it gets better from then on in. It's a choice only you can make but I think it would benefit your show if you don't smoke on screen. Again, your show, your choice.

A friend of mine who struggled to give up smoking for years, I think she most hated the weight gain, has had a lot of success with her vape. Not touched a fag for quite a while now, though every USB slot is occupied by vape batteries on charge, and she can vape in the pub. I'm not convinced they're as safe as some make out but I'm equally sure they're a whole lot better than tobacco smoke. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

TrialbySocialMedia wrote:
NYGman wrote:as I have little kids running around and I don't need them to see or hear that. Other than that, it was good to see you try to help someone, but I couldn't watch long for aforementioned reasons. Hope next time to see it sans smoke and swearing,
My lad had gone out for the day and shame on me for not even thinking that others have their kids at home.

I appreciate all your comment but this has struck a personal chord with me, so cheers (lesson learned).
Thanks! Will try to tune in again next time...