TheBestCommonLawyer in the Land P.Cullinane

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

hobgoblin
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Re: TheBestCommonLawyer in the Land P.Cullinane

Post by hobgoblin »

PeanutGallery wrote:
littleFred wrote:Unusually, the video includes a wide variety of photos, scanned documents, etc, with added captions. The captions are heavily anti-Jewish. Patrick rants at whoever he is talking to. In return, they show great patience.
If I understand correctly Mr Cullinane used to work in the film industry, if so the long anti-semetic rants may go some way to explaining why he is no longer considered employable in that sector. Not only are their a considerable number of Jewish people working at high levels in that industry, but it's also considered very liberal and accepting of people from diverse lifestyles.
I might just have had some sympathy with him until I watched that video. The anti-Jewish stuff puts him firmly in the barking mad category as far as I am concerned.
hardcopy
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by hardcopy »

vampireLOREN wrote:I thought there was a thread here about This man but I can't find it anywhere.
Just to fill you all in there is about a half mile strip of the Edgware Rd in Colindale NW91QY that has a bus lane with a £100 FIXED PENALTY charge running. Our dear and special lawful Pat must have strayed into it :shrug: .
So far this truly wonderful man has made at least 3 trips to the Royal Courts Of Justice once getting locked out complete with his band of followers. This is 40 minutes of Joy listening to him calling for justice.
https://youtu.be/EE0veZuu1MA
We are fortunate to have him.
ps I wonder what those who actually wrote Magna Carta would have made/done with him :thinking:
I have enormous sympathy with this guy, he seems like a genuine feller, and I reckon he's onto something with the Jew angle, just think of Mr Ebert.
Perhaps he should be taken with a tad more respect. Peace
vampireLOREN

Post by vampireLOREN »

hardcopy wrote:
vampireLOREN wrote:I thought there was a thread here about This man but I can't find it anywhere.
Just to fill you all in there is about a half mile strip of the Edgware Rd in Colindale NW91QY that has a bus lane with a £100 FIXED PENALTY charge running. Our dear and special lawful Pat must have strayed into it :shrug: .
So far this truly wonderful man has made at least 3 trips to the Royal Courts Of Justice once getting locked out complete with his band of followers. This is 40 minutes of Joy listening to him calling for justice.
https://youtu.be/EE0veZuu1MA
We are fortunate to have him.
ps I wonder what those who actually wrote Magna Carta would have made/done with him :thinking:
I have enormous sympathy with this guy, he seems like a genuine feller, and I reckon he's onto something with the Jew angle, just think of Mr Ebert.
Perhaps he should be taken with a tad more respect. Peace
Ya Little Divil ya :twisted: Not satisfied with making making poor SalliNae's life gyp!!! and almost getting your 3rd star and silver rating!!!!!1!!! your now spreading yer mischeeef here!.
If people from Poland are called Poles Why are aren't people from Holland called Holes?
YiamCross

Post by YiamCross »

I'm not an accountant but I've been involved in a couple of VAT investigations with friends who've needed a bit of a hand. Back in the day before Customs & Excise got into bed with Inland Revenue the tax people were considered positively friendly compared to their VAT collecting cousins.

My limited experience with the considerably darker side of the tax collection fraternity led me to believe that if you're halfway reasonable with them then they're not totally vile back. Even, I was surprised to find, when they found invoices for things you'ev already said you don't sell. Cheque fo rthe difference, they're happy they've shown their bosses they've pulled in a bit more towards the monthly target and be more careful next time. I was expecting electrodes to the testicles at the very least. Never mind, next time.

I think to get treated as this bloke appears to have been he'd have had to work quite hard at being a complete a**hole. Then again, I suppose he could just have been very unlucky but there does seem to be more to it than that.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Note to vampireLOREN, if you're going with the common law theme then I respectfully think the tite of this should have been TheBestestCommonLawyer in the Land P.Cullinane just in keeping with the theme. That being my little nit for the day.

MODERATOR NOTE:
On the other hand, for those of us playing along at home WITHOUT A SCORECARD OR PLAYBOOK, since I don't for a moment assume that Mr Cullinane sprung forth fully formed and crazy from the ether, how's about a little background guys, like what actually happened to the guy that sent him over the edge???? So how's about a bit of sharing shall we say!!! Part of the purpose of this board, well the real and main purpose when you get right down to it, is to document these crazies, not gossip about them, and while I admit the one generally happens. IT ISN'T THE REASON WE'RE HERE!!!

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
vampireLOREN

Post by vampireLOREN »

YiamCross wrote:I'm not an accountant but I've been involved in a couple of VAT investigations with friends who've needed a bit of a hand. Back in the day before Customs & Excise got into bed with Inland Revenue the tax people were considered positively friendly compared to their VAT collecting cousins.

My limited experience with the considerably darker side of the tax collection fraternity led me to believe that if you're halfway reasonable with them then they're not totally vile back. Even, I was surprised to find, when they found invoices for things you'ev already said you don't sell. Cheque fo rthe difference, they're happy they've shown their bosses they've pulled in a bit more towards the monthly target and be more careful next time. I was expecting electrodes to the testicles at the very least. Never mind, next time.

I think to get treated as this bloke appears to have been he'd have had to work quite hard at being a complete a**hole. Then again, I suppose he could just have been very unlucky but there does seem to be more to it than that.
I just watched a video of this man introducing his brother and his story of woe. BeJayzus, Luck walked out the door when these two eejits were born :whistle: . If one smidgen of this is true.....they both should buy lottery tickets they must be due a break!. I had to stop laughing.....not wanting to tempt some bad karma coming my way :naughty: .
What ever gives people the idea that sharing this on film will make it better? :snicker:
If people from Poland are called Poles Why are aren't people from Holland called Holes?
hardcopy

Post by hardcopy »

notorial dissent wrote:Note to vampireLOREN, if you're going with the common law theme then I respectfully think the tite of this should have been TheBestestCommonLawyer in the Land P.Cullinane just in keeping with the theme. That being my little nit for the day.

MODERATOR NOTE:
On the other hand, for those of us playing along at home WITHOUT A SCORECARD OR PLAYBOOK, since I don't for a moment assume that Mr Cullinane sprung forth fully formed and crazy from the ether, how's about a little background guys, like what actually happened to the guy that sent him over the edge???? So how's about a bit of sharing shall we say!!! Part of the purpose of this board, well the real and main purpose when you get right down to it, is to document these crazies, not gossip about them, and while I admit the one generally happens. IT ISN'T THE REASON WE'RE HERE!!!
Thank you moderator, I'm been thinking along those lines for some time, but you put it so eloquently I hope folk take it on board and cease tittle tattle and mockery, it devalues the great work done by many on here.

vampireLOREN

Post by vampireLOREN »

notorial dissent wrote:Note to vampireLOREN, if you're going with the common law theme then I respectfully think the tite of this should have been TheBestestCommonLawyer in the Land P.Cullinane just in keeping with the theme. That being my little nit for the day.
Well, I was at a loss to find another CommonLaw Lawyer to make any comparison , I had thought to call him an Uncommon Law Lawyer but that made him sound like he was just a crap practitioner of the Law. I do like the term Bestest and often use to describe myself. As I cannot find another and until I do I would like to say that at the moment he remains the best.
I just wait for the time he joins the Learned Ebert ( who never gave himself a title....nor has Bradley Law :thinking: thinking it over) as vexatious litigant .

MODERATOR NOTE:

PeanutGallery

Post by PeanutGallery »

notorial dissent wrote: On the other hand, for those of us playing along at home WITHOUT A SCORECARD OR PLAYBOOK, since I don't for a moment assume that Mr Cullinane sprung forth fully formed and crazy from the ether, how's about a little background guys, like what actually happened to the guy that sent him over the edge????

Patrick Cullinane was working as a casual in the film industry in the 1980's. He was a stage hand at Warner Brothers studios in Elstree. In 1987 he came under investigation from the revenues newly formed Film Industry Unit. He was the first person to be investigated under this system. The revenue demanded unpaid tax of £500. The revenue then have reason to believe that Mr Cullinane was hiding a rental income from them for rooms in his house and had misrepresented his income. They demand £68,000 in back taxes and fines. In 1998 Mr Cullinane had his house repossessed it was then sold £125k of this Mr Cullinane received nothing as other creditors and auction fees swallow up any amount left over.
Source: http://www.theguardian.com/money/2003/m ... msandfraud

Mr Cullinane claims never to have seen the evidence against him in this matter. Part of the revenues evidence came from an anonymous informant, whose information matched that which was also discovered in the electoral rolls. Mr Cullinane also admitted (after having previously denied) to having at times let rooms in his property (Mr Cullinane has since denied making that statement to the revenue).

This sent Mr Cullinane on a prolonged battle against the revenue. In all he's spent nearly 30 years having and losing this fight. Given that wibblers seem to value a man by how much he's failed he should be up with Ebert in the legal knowledge stakes.
Warning may contain traces of nut
vampireLOREN

Post by vampireLOREN »

vampireLOREN wrote:
Well, I was at a loss to find another CommonLaw Lawyer to make any comparison , I had thought to call him an Uncommon Law Lawyer but that made him sound like he was just a crap practitioner of the Law. I do like the term Bestest and often use to describe myself. As I cannot find another and until I do I would like to say that at the moment he remains the best.
I just wait for the time he joins the Learned Ebert ( who never gave himself a title....nor has Bradley Law :thinking: thinking it over) as vexatious litigant .

MODERATOR NOTE:

If life has taught me anything it is that very "Bolshy" type people do as it were just spring forth unannounced and usually when not required either. Having now witnessed videos of him with his brother it does seem to be a .....how to say a "Family Trait?" no that's too strong, maybe abrasive personalities in their natures. There is a program of learning that wishes to find out what turned the average serial killer into a mass murderer and for sure that must be of benefit, but never lose sight of the current state of the serial killer that's the real danger. Any of these lunatics who spread the message of enlightenment are dangerous (maybe not to the level of out mass murdering friend) but capable of causing much harm. If we try to point out faults in arguments or concepts "they" are not going to listen, we can only hope others might see and re think. Failing that what is left? only to pour forth scorn and ridicule upon them.....maybe that is all we can do?. I do believe these people are there and have always been amongst us and that they are born with it in them too.
longdog

Post by longdog »

I think somebody has already said this but the Inland Revenue are not the avaricious, inflexible bastards the tax-dodgers make them out to be. In all of my dealings with them during my periods of self-employment and dealing with my father's estate they have been quite happy to take a mutually agreed reasonable guess of the amount owing without any paperwork to back it up.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
hobgoblin
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by hobgoblin »

longdog wrote:I think somebody has already said this but the Inland Revenue are not the avaricious, inflexible bastards the tax-dodgers make them out to be. In all of my dealings with them during my periods of self-employment and dealing with my father's estate they have been quite happy to take a mutually agreed reasonable guess of the amount owing without any paperwork to back it up.
I agree. I was self employed for many years and I always fond the IR to be quite reasonable if you were straight with them. Try to take the piss however and they are down on you like a ton of proverbial bricks.
FatGambit

Post by FatGambit »

+2, never had any problem with them, and even when I owned up to a 'mistake' during an audit, the guy just smiled and said 'so how much do you owe us?', I said 1500, he said, 'can you pay it now?', I said no sorry, things are tight (we were sitting at the kitchen table - long story that one), so he just said 'OK how does £150 a month over the next ten months sound?'.

I nearly passed out.
littleFred
Stern Faced Schoolmaster of Serious Discussion

Post by littleFred »

About 25 years ago I had big problems with them. I owed them a largish chunk of money. They also owed me an even larger sum. Both sides agreed on both sums. On the phone, they always agreed with my proposal that they should deduct one from the other, and send me the difference.

But they kept sending me demands to pay what I owed them, ignoring the larger sum they owed me, with increasing threats about what would happen if I didn't pay up. My finances were very tight, and I simply couldn't afford to pay them off.

They finally saw sense, and paid what they owed me less what I owed them. But it was a worrying time.

Perhaps they are more human these days.
Normal Wisdom

Post by Normal Wisdom »

littleFred wrote:About 25 years ago I had big problems with them. I owed them a largish chunk of money. They also owed me an even larger sum. Both sides agreed on both sums. On the phone, they always agreed with my proposal that they should deduct one from the other, and send me the difference.

But they kept sending me demands to pay what I owed them, ignoring the larger sum they owed me, with increasing threats about what would happen if I didn't pay up. My finances were very tight, and I simply couldn't afford to pay them off.

They finally saw sense, and paid what they owed me less what I owed them. But it was a worrying time.

Perhaps they are more human these days.
Even then, my impression is that although they can be disorganised and inefficient (increasingly as staff cuts bite) they are very seldom vindictive.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

PeanutGallery thanks very much for the brief history of our Mr Cullinane. Not to sound too harsh or judgmental, but it sounds to me like there is a good deal more to the story than our hero lets on. In fact, it sounds like a good many US TP stories I've heard over tome. The thing that comes to me is that a tax issue doesn't suddenly jump from £500 to £68,000, so I kinda sorta suspect there is a good deal more here than just the odd unreported room rent. I also suspect that his altogether too charming personality didn't endear him to someone who knew far more about his business than was good for him and turned him, now where have we heard that before????

Again, my thanks for supplying the underlying record.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
longdog

Post by longdog »

If you do some in-the-right-ballpark-back-of-a-fag-packet maths and assume a tax rate of 25% that's the difference between £2000 of undeclared income and somewhere in the region of £300,000 of undeclared income and you're right ND... That sort of jump in demand just doesn't happen without a reason.
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot »

I probably missed my vocation as a social worker, but I'm still working to the hypothesis that PC became "OPCA Radicalised" after suffering harsh treatment by the tax authorities.

A taxpayer who lost his house after he was bankrupted by HM Revenue & Customs, saw a glimmer of hope this week in his 16-year battle, after a Tory minister urged the government's tax watchdog to re-open his case.

Nick Hurd, minister for civil society in the coalition government, has demanded that the Adjudicator's Office examines how his constituent, Patrick Cullinane, came to be bankrupted when he was in credit with the tax authorities. Hurd, who said he was "stonewalled" by HMRC, asked the adjudicator, Judy Clements, to release documents related to the bankruptcy, and especially tax inspectors' letters discussing Cullinane's tax record. Clements replied that too much time had elapsed since the issue was first raised in 1994.

Internal HMRC letters, leaked to the Guardian and reported in previous articles concerning the Cullinane case, show the decision to impose a huge tax bill was based on the suspicions of tax inspectors and an alleged "informant". In the letters, inspectors discuss how the £66,000 bill imposed on Cullinane, then a scene shifter at Pinewood Studios earning £18,000 a year, was unreasonable and unlikely to survive scrutiny by the tax commissioners who sit in judgment. The inspectors concede the "determination of earnings" from renting out rooms and "moonlighting" from his day job, could easily be reduced to an affordable level.

When the determination was challenged in court, HMRC said an informant had supplied evidence Cullinane was renting out rooms. HMRC objected to releasing Cullinane's tax files and the court agreed.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2010/d ... d-taxpayer
"don't be hubris ever..." Steve Mccrae, noted legal ExpertInFuckAll.
hardcopy

Post by hardcopy »

Hercule Parrot wrote:Sad, really. Previously he had a good and proper grievance against the UK Tax system, which wrongfully ruined him.

"Patrick Cullinane has fought a running battle with the Inland Revenue since the day he was accused of not paying income tax. And the taxman fought dirty - so dirty he lost his home and nearly lost his sanity. Now, a batch of confidential documents reveal fatal weaknesses in the Revenue's case. "
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2003/m ... msandfraud
Does anyone know what happened to his case once the weaknesses in the case were revealed in the batch of documents, has he appealed against the original decision back then ?
longdog

Post by longdog »

I'm sorry but I simply don't believe for one moment that HMRC would send out a bill for tax owed on over a quarter of a million quid solely on the basis of a random, anonymous tip-off.

There's way more to this story than we are being told.