Chrisy Morris - Parking Tickets and Bailiffs.

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

Tinkle Bucket
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Re: Chrisy Morris - Parking Tickets and Bailiffs.

Post by Tinkle Bucket »

There's a video doing the rounds of an irate husband of one of the councillors getting into some fisticuffs with him.
Penny Wise
Pirate
Pirate

Post by Penny Wise »

Tinkle Bucket wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:27 pm There's a video doing the rounds of an irate husband of one of the councillors getting into some fisticuffs with him.

The other person is Chrisy's friend and BNP supporter Mr Perry, hence the tasteless numberplate
Wanna balloon?
AnOwlCalledSage
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

Tinkle Bucket wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:25 pm This morning on YouTube a short lived video was shown of the transcript to the family court proceedings of his child custody...
Whilst the rest of the world doesn't care so much, we have rightly got strict laws in the UK about reporting on matters involving children. So good if it was taken down.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
Tinkle Bucket
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by Tinkle Bucket »

Whilst the rest of the world doesn't care so much, we have rightly got strict laws in the UK about reporting on matters involving children. So good if it was taken down.
All the names were redacted and as I later found out it looks likes one of his ex's family were behind it possibly the ex herself.
John Uskglass

Post by John Uskglass »

Wakeman52

Post by Wakeman52 »

:sarcasmon:

Brilliant tactics; get into a fight, video it and post the result on YouTube.

In that picture, he still looks like the same smug barsteward he was in his days of 'helping' Rekha Patel.
Our future is like that of the passengers on a small pleasure boat sailing quietly above the Niagara Falls, not knowing that the engines are about to fail. James Lovelock.
SpearGrass
Pirate
Pirate

Post by SpearGrass »

The council's report on Mr Morris: https://democracy.maldon.gov.uk/documen ... ix%202.pdf The report is written by a real respected barrister rather than Michael Waugh's fantasy version.

Morris is already full-on fotler by paragraph 8: "Cllr Morris told me that the Code [sc. of conduct] does not apply to him because it is a contract and he has not signed it."
AnOwlCalledSage

SpearGrass wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:45 pm Morris is already full-on fotler by paragraph 8: "Cllr Morris told me that the Code [sc. of conduct] does not apply to him because it is a contract and he has not signed it."
I doubt that it's any different at district council level, but on accepting elected office, you have to sign a document at the count binding you to the council's code of conduct or you are not elected... so I suspect that's just more bullshit from him.

Update: Thought I'd check, so it's documented in this thread. He is talking bullshit or he wouldn't be a councillor. This applies at all levels of local government including parish councillor.
Local Government Association wrote:Application of the Code of Conduct
This Code of Conduct applies to you as soon as you sign your declaration of acceptance of the office of councillor or attend your first meeting as a co-opted member and continues to apply to you until you cease to be a councillor.
Last edited by AnOwlCalledSage on Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

SpearGrass wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:45 pm The council's report on Mr Morris: https://democracy.maldon.gov.uk/documen ... ix%202.pdf
Cllr Morris offered no substantive response to the draft but did describe the report as “twaddle”.
What else need be said?
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
longdog

Post by longdog »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:41 pm Update: Thought I'd check, so it's documented in this thread. He is talking bullshit or he wouldn't be a councillor. This applies at all levels of local government including parish councillor.
Local Government Association wrote:Application of the Code of Conduct
This Code of Conduct applies to you as soon as you sign your declaration of acceptance of the office of councillor or attend your first meeting as a co-opted member and continues to apply to you until you cease to be a councillor.
I did wonder if you were right and I still have a bit of doubt over one detail. Although the code of conduct may apply to all councillors does refusing to obey it have any consequences in itself and if so what are they?

I'm thinking it might be akin to Irish Republicans being elected to Westminster but refusing to take the oath so never actually sitting in the house. Can a councillor simply say bollocks to the code of conduct and carry on regardless?
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
Penny Wise
Pirate
Pirate

Post by Penny Wise »

Paragraph 38
Cllr Morris’ behaviour during this investigation shows an alarming contempt for the Code of
Conduct process and the Nolan principles of accountability and integrity. It also
demonstrates Cllr Morris’ capacity to lie, mislead and intimidate. I cannot reconcile this
behaviour – which seriously damages his credibility as a witness – with Cllr Morris’s
insistence to me that “truth, honesty and integrity” are important values of his “moral code”.

This behaviour brings Cllr Morris’ office as a councillor, and the Council as a whole,
into disrepute, in breach of paragraph 3.5(e) of the Code
Shame that it has now been announced that Cllr Stamp has stepped down as Leader to protect staff

https://www.maldonandburnhamstandard.co ... amp-steps/
Last edited by Penny Wise on Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wanna balloon?
TheRambler

Post by TheRambler »

longdog wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:19 pm I did wonder if you were right and I still have a bit of doubt over one detail. Although the code of conduct may apply to all councillors does refusing to obey it have any consequences in itself and if so what are they?

I'm thinking it might be akin to Irish Republicans being elected to Westminster but refusing to take the oath so never actually sitting in the house. Can a councillor simply say bollocks to the code of conduct and carry on regardless?
Consequences, very little, a letter of and or formal motion of censure. As confidential information was published (don’t care for the term “leaked”) exclusion from committee(s) and denial of access to similar information in future is a possibility. They cannot be suspended or removed from office or denied expenses payments. They would probably suffer reputational damage but that doesn’t seem to matter much to Chrisy.

TheRambler
longdog

Post by longdog »

I am, as always, indebted to m'learned friend.
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
SpearGrass
Pirate
Pirate

Post by SpearGrass »

The Rambler said:
They would probably suffer reputational damage
With Mr Morris that's like dyeing a black coat black.
AnOwlCalledSage

longdog wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:19 pm I did wonder if you were right and I still have a bit of doubt over one detail. Although the code of conduct may apply to all councillors does refusing to obey it have any consequences in itself and if so what are they?
It's simple. If you don't sign it you are not a councillor.

If you do sign it the worst that can happen is that you get kicked off committees and outside bodies. You can't actually be suspended, unless you have broken other appropriate laws. e.g. using confidential data, harassment, or failing to declare an interest which are prosecutable independent of the standards code. They can refuse you access to council facilities which has a similar effect to being suspended, but they can't withhold your allowance.

There used to be more sanctions available, but the national standards boards have been abolished and all councils are now responsible for their own codes. There is a "model" code of conduct from the Local Government Association which most councils follow.
longdog

Post by longdog »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:48 am It's simple. If you don't sign it you are not a councillor.
I can't find any credible source that says councillors have to sign the code at all let alone that they are not a councillor if they don't. It may exist but I can't find it if it does.

I don't really see that there would be any mileage in needing a signature on something that applies to everybody anyway.
John Uskglass

Post by John Uskglass »

If you don't sign it you are not a councillor.
I'm with Longdog on this. As far as I can see, all councils have to have a Code of Conduct, and election to the council automatically makes you subject to the Code.

This article from 2020 states that:
But what happens if you break the code? Here things become more interesting. In England, since a commendable piece of legislation from the Cameron government nine years ago known as the Localism Act 2011, there is a carefully thought-out balancing act. In the event of breach, the council can reprimand you; it can name you and shame you. It can request you to undergo implicit bias training; it can keep you off particular committees. In an extreme case it can even require you to be chaperoned when on council premises. You can also, of course, be publicly disowned by your own party caucus if you say or do something really outrageous. But one thing is not allowed: you can’t be administratively removed or suspended, or excluded from council meetings. The only exceptions are where you are bankrupted, or imprisoned for three months following a criminal conviction, or fail to show up for meetings for six months, all of which legally disqualify you. But nothing short of that will suffice.
https://thecritic.co.uk/free-speech-cou ... ion-rules/
AnOwlCalledSage

John Uskglass wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:19 pm
If you don't sign it you are not a councillor.
I'm with Longdog on this. As far as I can see, all councils have to have a Code of Conduct, and election to the council automatically makes you subject to the Code.
Okay. Since there seems to be a different interpretation of my words than that intended, that's ^^^ what I said.

You have to sign a piece of paper accepting the role of councillor. This automatically subjects you to the standing orders of the council, which has the effect of binding you to accepting the code of conduct. You do not sign a separate piece of paper binding you to the code of conduct. It is implicit. Whether he realised it or not he has signed up for it.

The "laxer" rules about it becoming binding on attending your first meeting are intended for parish councils where there is often co-opting and appointments by the council to fill vacancies. I guess there could be district level and above councils whose standing orders don't require signing an acceptance, but I don't know of any.
John Uskglass

Post by John Uskglass »

You have to sign a piece of paper accepting the role of councillor.
I did not know this, and I've worked in a local authority committee section! According to this site 'In law you are not a councillor till you sign'. Never doubt the Owl....

https://askyourcouncil.uk/the-good-coun ... under-way/

Which begs an interesting question when it comes to Mr Morris. Did he sign as the legal fiction?
AnOwlCalledSage

John Uskglass wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:35 pm Never doubt the Owl....
It is a good Quatloos maxim to query others, especially where the evidence may be being provided anecdotally.

However, I have signed that piece of paper :wink: and been a member of the Local Government Association. I've even been referred to the old Standards for England board on two separate occasions and had the complaints thrown out. :snicker:

I prefer, however, to not dox myself and give out any more personal information than is healthy for remaining sane post-public life. I have stopped with that nonsense!