Shaun "where's my ride" Cassidy

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

longdog
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Shaun "where's my ride" Cassidy

Post by longdog »

Losleones wrote: Here's another true fact i learnt. If i parked my car at say, Chester railway station & went on a bender with the boys in Plymouth & whilst there i got particularly rowdy & an officer arrested me for breach of peace & found my car keys in my possession, the Law would interpret that i intend to drive that vehicle albeit 350m away, there is a strong possibility I'd lose my licence if blew over the legal limit.
I think we're getting into the realms of fantasy here and the only way you'd lose your licence under those circumstances is if you had a very bad lawyer and the magistrate hadn't had his or her oats for a prolonged period... and even then the conviction would never stand up on appeal.

I accept there are circumstances when the law will find a non-driving drunk was legally driving, such as being in the back of a car sleeping it off with your keys in your pocket but being convicted of being drunk in possession of a set of car keys is self-evidently not what was in the mind of parliament and is stretching the definition of being 'in-charge' of a motor vehicle way beyond anything approaching logic, common sense or a plain meaning.

If it were really true that you could be done for drink driving when your car is 350 miles away then what's to stop you being done for drink driving when you're asleep in your own house with your car keys hanging on the hook in the hall?

If you want to go to ridiculous extremes then what's to stop a cop breathalysing me on the bus coming home from the pub tonight (YAY!!! Its pay-day Image) and charging me with attempting to drive my mate's car? After all... I would be drunk and I do have a licence and I do have a spare key to my mate's house and I do know where she keeps her car keys and her house is on the bus route home. The mere hint of a possibility that I might, under some bizarre set of circumstances, drive after a few sherberts does not a criminal offence make.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
Losleones

Post by Losleones »

longdog wrote:
If it were really true that you could be done for drink driving when your car is 350 miles away then what's to stop you being done for drink driving when you're asleep in your own house with your car keys hanging on the hook in the hall?

If you want to go to ridiculous extremes then what's to stop a cop breathalysing me on the bus coming home from the pub tonight (YAY!!! Its pay-day Image) and charging me with attempting to drive my mate's car? After all... I would be drunk and I do have a licence and I do have a spare key to my mate's house and I do know where she keeps her car keys and her house is on the bus route home. The mere hint of a possibility that I might, under some bizarre set of circumstances, drive after a few sherberts does not a criminal offence make.
You wouldn't be done for drink driving whilst asleep in your own bed as your car is on the driveway & has reached its final destination & you can sleep off your hangover & go on your merry way when sober enough to do so. The point I'm making is whilst you're over the limit & in possession of your keys which hasn't made it onto your driveway whether you're inside the vehicle or not you run the risk of losing your licence as the Police assume you are intending driving that conveyance home at some stage. As ridiculous as it may well be it appears to be the case, unless the retired PO of 40yrs service got his facts wrong.
YiamCross

Post by YiamCross »

Losleones wrote:As ridiculous as it may well be it appears to be the case, unless the retired PO of 40yrs service got his facts wrong.
Police officer getting his facts wrong? Who ever heard of such a thing!

There are endless discussions about what drunk in charge means along with apocryphal stories of poor saps unlucky enough to be caught inebriated and prosecuted for having car keys in their possession whilst up a tree or in their attic or hitchhiking back from the moon. Like all such stories, they appear completely different when the full facts are known.

If caught drunk in a layby the police will assume you were drunk when you drove into it before you passed out. Drunk in the back of your car in a pub car park you may still have a case to answer for DIC if the keys are in your pocket or the ignition so make sure you hide them before you pass out and deny any knowledge of where they are if questioned.

Generally the police will act reasonably if the situation suggests someone has decided to stay put rather than risk driving drunk but there are plenty of idiots in uniform so it's best not to give them grounds to exercise their power.
PeanutGallery

Post by PeanutGallery »

Losleones wrote:
longdog wrote:

You wouldn't be done for drink driving whilst asleep in your own bed as your car is on the driveway & has reached its final destination & you can sleep off your hangover & go on your merry way when sober enough to do so. The point I'm making is whilst you're over the limit & in possession of your keys which hasn't made it onto your driveway whether you're inside the vehicle or not you run the risk of losing your licence as the Police assume you are intending driving that conveyance home at some stage. As ridiculous as it may well be it appears to be the case, unless the retired PO of 40yrs service got his facts wrong.
Lets look at what the law actually says:

Code: Select all

Driving, or being in charge, when under influence of drink or drugs.

(1)A person who, when driving or attempting to drive a [F1mechanically propelled vehicle] on a road or other public place, is unfit to drive through drink or drugs is guilty of an offence.
(2)Without prejudice to subsection (1) above, a person who, when in charge of a [F1mechanically propelled vehicle] which is on a road or other public place, is unfit to drive through drink or drugs is guilty of an offence.
(3)For the purposes of subsection (2) above, a person shall be deemed not to have been in charge of a [F1mechanically propelled vehicle] if he proves that at the material time the circumstances were such that there was no likelihood of his driving it so long as he remained unfit to drive through drink or drugs.
(4)The court may, in determining whether there was such a likelihood as is mentioned in subsection (3) above, disregard any injury to him and any damage to the vehicle.
(5)For the purposes of this section, a person shall be taken to be unfit to drive if his ability to drive properly is for the time being impaired.
(6)[F2A constable may arrest a person without warrant if he has reasonable cause to suspect that that person is or has been committing an offence under this section.]
(7)[F2For the purpose of arresting a person under the power conferred by subsection (6) above, a constable may enter (if need be by force) any place where that person is or where the constable, with reasonable cause, suspects him to be.]
The requirement is driving or attempting to drive, or when in charge. Now obviously driving while drunk is out, as is attempting to drive (which would likely apply to starting the ignition and being ready to set off), but the devil no doubt lies in how the courts interpret "in charge".

Is simply having the keys of a vehicle being "in charge" of it. Subsection 3 helps somewhat by furthering with if you can prove that at the material time there was no likelihood of driving, then you can be in charge and drunk. So a person having a drink in a motorhome and then retiring to the bed within it would be very unlikely to be convicted if they can prove that they were in bed and not in the driving seat, or if they had in some way immobilised the vehicle, say by fitting their own wheel clamp prior to the nights libations..

Equally the man 350 miles away may well be drunk with their keys, but they can't be in charge of the vehicle, given the distance. The same with the night bus hypothesis, you aren't in charge of the vehicle because it is not your vehicle and in order to become in charge of it would likely have to break several laws.

So what would be the best way of showing that "there was no likelihood of his driving it so long as he remained unfit to drive through drink or drugs." I would suggest from a very practical standpoint not being located in the vicinity of the controls. If drunk and it is necessary for you to sleep in the car, take up a passenger or rear seat, while you might be in charge, it should be plainly obvious that you have no intention of driving. Of course this distinction may be lost on a police officer no matter how long their service, who might take the view that it's best to arrest and then let the courts deal with the issue, or may be ignorant of the finer points of law, or may have ill intent toward a citizen. I would suspect, in this most unlikely of circumstances, it would likely be dropped by the CPS, as a person drunk, trying to take their car keys home without using the car is acting in precisely the manner Parliament intended when it drafted and passed the legislation.
Warning may contain traces of nut
longdog

Post by longdog »

PeanutGallery wrote: I would suspect, in this most unlikely of circumstances, it would likely be dropped by the CPS, as a person drunk, trying to take their car keys home without using the car is acting in precisely the manner Parliament intended when it drafted and passed the legislation.
Exactly... If it were true that you could be arrested for having your car-keys 350 miles from the car then that would create an incentive to drive home from the pub if your car was in the next street. If it were illegal to be 100 metres from your car with the keys (as would logically follow if it were illegal 350 miles away) then you might as well save yourself the taxi fare and drive. Might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb and all that. I don't know about you lot but when I owned a car the keys were in the same bunch as my house and work keys and went everywhere with me.

As ridiculous as it may well be it appears to be the case, unless the retired PO of 40yrs service got his facts wrong.
Well having been arrested twice for illegal possession of a firearm and having had to wait several hours for a police approved firearms expert to turn up and tell them, including an inspector, they didn't know what they were talking about and I hadn't committed any offence I consider this to be well within the realms of possibility :mrgreen:
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
Pox

Post by Pox »

[quote=]If i parked my car at say, Chester railway station
[/quote]

Park? At Chester Station - you must be both lucky and rich!
Losleones

Post by Losleones »

Pox wrote:
wrote:If i parked my car at say, Chester railway station
Park? At Chester Station - you must be both lucky and rich!
Divorced so sadly neither. The wonderfully fair system we have in the UK saw to that.
FatGambit

Post by FatGambit »

I was going to ask where it would leave you if the keys were in the glove compartment and you asleep on the back seat? Are you still in charge of the vehicle, or is the glove compartment in charge?
Losleones

Post by Losleones »

FatGambit wrote:I was going to ask where it would leave you if the keys were in the glove compartment and you asleep on the back seat? Are you still in charge of the vehicle, or is the glove compartment in charge?
Why don't you swill down 10 pints & put the theory on test?
FatGambit

Post by FatGambit »

It wouldn't take 10 pints to get me in that condition, but I don't drink, so no thanks, can you try?
PeanutGallery

Post by PeanutGallery »

FatGambit wrote:I was going to ask where it would leave you if the keys were in the glove compartment and you asleep on the back seat? Are you still in charge of the vehicle, or is the glove compartment in charge?
My take on this situation would be that while a person doing that would clearly have no intention of driving, the police officer investigating could take the view of better safe than sorry and might require the individual to sleep it off in the cells (they also might well be ignorant of the finer aspects of law, the police while they have some legal training are not versed in the finery of law and if they were it would likely prove a hindrance to effective policing). The officer would be likely to do what they thought was best for all concerned and their attitude would largely be based on how you respond to their questions during the initial encounter.

If the suspect is polite, seem sensible and doesn't give them cause for concern, then they may not be as quick to arrest, being polite can help you pass the 'attitude test'. If on the other hand the person comes across like Shaun does, then they will arrest and let the lawyers argue it later or let the CPS drop it due to lack of evidence.

The defence, and any statement given during interview, should be that the keys were placed in the glove box and the occupant took up the rear seat because they knew they were too drunk to drive safely, however needed to be in a safe place in order to sleep it off, they had no intention of driving and the position in which both they and the keys were discovered would show that their was no likelihood of them driving while drunk.

I would imagine that if someone were to proffer this defence and if the circumstances were as you have posited, it would lead to either charges being dropped at some point in the future (due to the difficulty of proving that the person intended to drive, when they were presumably asleep and without the keys to operate the vehicle in their immediate possession) or the police giving a "warning" (which would likely consist of a few stern words about taxi's or public transport) and letting the non-driver go once they had sobered up.
FatGambit

Post by FatGambit »

Losleones wrote:Argumentative nature creeping in through your time spent debating with numbskulls over on goofy i see. Going back to the thread, if you were plastered in a vehicle with the keys, whether they're wedged up you're arse or in the glove compartment you can kiss goodbye to your licence for a while.
I asked an honest question, PeanutGallery has given the kind of answer I was I was looking for, my humerous reply to your post was just that, humerous, there was no hostility intended so no need to be like that.

Edit: this was in reply to a post by Losleones which seems to have been deleted now.
NG3

Post by NG3 »

YiamCross wrote: Police officer getting his facts wrong? Who ever heard of such a thing!
As someone with an ex in the service I can inform you that, from my experience, after idiotic criminals, idiotic colleagues is perhaps the second most common work related conversation, for many officers, so even they admit they have some in their ranks who make mistakes, or even who are downright incompetent.

I'd actually love to give you all some examples, because I've heard some mind boggling stories over the years, however I suspect if I betrayed my ex's trust on a public forum she'd be beating me with a rubber hose by the end of the night, or worse, withdrawing sexual favours.
Losleones

Post by Losleones »

FatGambit wrote:
Losleones wrote:Argumentative nature creeping in through your time spent debating with numbskulls over on goofy i see. Going back to the thread, if you were plastered in a vehicle with the keys, whether they're wedged up you're arse or in the glove compartment you can kiss goodbye to your licence for a while.
I asked an honest question, PeanutGallery has given the kind of answer I was I was looking for, my humerous reply to your post was just that, humerous, there was no hostility intended so no need to be like that.

Edit: this was in reply to a post by Losleones which seems to have been deleted now.
& i answered the question. I deleted as couldn't be bothered as I'm obviously wrong yet have first hand experience on what would happen. I'm sure PC Pickles hasn't heard that story before has he where the suspect sees the flashing lights & pretends he's asleep in the back while unloading the keys in the glove compartment. The only way you're avoiding a ban in that situation is blowing under the legal limit.
YiamCross

Post by YiamCross »

Losleones wrote:
FatGambit wrote:

& i answered the question. I deleted as couldn't be bothered as I'm obviously wrong yet have first hand experience on what would happen. I'm sure PC Pickles hasn't heard that story before has he where the suspect sees the flashing lights & pretends he's asleep in the back while unloading the keys in the glove compartment. The only way you're avoiding a ban in that situation is blowing under the legal limit.
As I said, it comes down to the situation. If you're in a lay-by miles from anywhere then the only reasonable assumption is that you got there by driving so whatever your position in relation to the keys and driving seat you're in trouble.

All the rest is pure pointless speculation. If you find yourself over the limit with the keys to your car in your pocket then the safest thing you can do is hand them over the bar and book a room for the night. Failing that I'd say hiding them and denying all knowledge of their wherabouts would be a good tactic. So long as you aren't parked up somewhere you'd have have to have driven to in an inebriated condition, of course. Then hiding in a field somewhere might be your best bet. Simplest thing would be not to mix vehicles and alcohol but in our society that is often easier said than done.
FatGambit

Post by FatGambit »

Wish I hadn't asked now. :lol:
Losleones

Post by Losleones »

Aye, wish I'd not bothered my arse now that's no offence to yiam but these topics get really deep & technical & apologies gambit for any wires crossed.
NG3

Post by NG3 »

Losleones wrote:that's no offence to yiam
Losleones wrote:apologies gambit for any wires crossed.
That is one of the things I like about this forum, on the occasions that there are disagreements, there is rarely any real animosity.

For all our faults, and I'm sure we all have faults, it's apparent that we're capable of being a fairly civilised and reasonable bunch of people.

No wonder we're not Freetards...
PeanutGallery

Post by PeanutGallery »

NG3 wrote:
Losleones wrote:that's no offence to yiam
Losleones wrote:apologies gambit for any wires crossed.
That is one of the things I like about this forum, on the occasions that there are disagreements, there is rarely any real animosity.

For all our faults, and I'm sure we all have faults, it's apparent that we're capable of being a fairly civilised and reasonable bunch of people.

No wonder we're not Freetards...
Shouldn't one of them accused the other of being a troll/shill/paid agent or something?
mufc1959

Post by mufc1959 »

PeanutGallery wrote: Shouldn't one of them accused the other of being a troll/shill/paid agent or something?
I'm disappointed that nobody's been compared to Hitler yet.