Re: Darwin award nominees?

Post by Greengrass »

Not sure if this one has been mentioned anywhere but wonder if he qualifies

http://www.worthingherald.co.uk/news/cr ... -1-6998642
littleFred
Stern Faced Schoolmaster of Serious Discussion

Post by littleFred »

Well spotted. I first bumped into Chris Coverdale in January: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=10406&p=182792
longdog
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by longdog »

AndyPandy wrote: You won't hear me say this very often, but I give thanks that I was born in Hull, England.
West of the river I trust... I hope this forum doesn't allow those frightfully common East Hull types. I consider anybody to the east of Bev Rurd suspect :snicker:
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

longdog wrote:
AndyPandy wrote: You won't hear me say this very often, but I give thanks that I was born in Hull, England.
West of the river I trust... I hope this forum doesn't allow those frightfully common East Hull types. I consider anybody to the east of Bev Rurd suspect :snicker:
I'll have none of those disparaging Hull comments here. My Mother was born in Jubilee Terrace in Hull and grew up there (20's and 30's). My great aunt Florie dispensed beer in the Punch and Criterion for over 60 years. I go back frequently to visit. Somewhat rough and ready I agree but some great pubs.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
longdog

Post by longdog »

Burnaby49 wrote:
longdog wrote:
I'll have none of those disparaging Hull comments here. My Mother was born in Jubilee Terrace in Hull and grew up there (20's and 30's). My great aunt Florie dispensed beer in the Punch and Criterion for over 60 years. I go back frequently to visit. Somewhat rough and ready I agree but some great pubs.
How dare you sir!

I would never disparage my adopted home town... Just people from East Hull.

The Punch is still there but hasn't really benefited from an ill-advised attempt to make it a part of the gay / gay friendly circuit some years ago which stripped it of a lot of its grotty charm. It's been partially restored to its former lack of glory but the loss of the sticky carpet and rancid toilets is a crime that has remained unpunished.

The last and only time I was in the Criterion it was awash with smack-heads and shoplifters peddling their wares. Last time I went past it was closed down which is a shame because it's a great, traditional boozer inside.
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

The Punch is still there but hasn't really benefited from an ill-advised attempt to make it a part of the gay / gay friendly circuit some years ago which stripped it of a lot of its grotty charm. It's been partially restored to its former lack of glory but the loss of the sticky carpet and rancid toilets is a crime that has remained unpunished.

The last and only time I was in the Criterion it was awash with smack-heads and shoplifters peddling their wares. Last time I went past it was closed down which is a shame because it's a great, traditional boozer inside.
The Punch's charm for me lay in its superb 1845 exterior. Back in my great-aunt Florie's day the Criterion was a grand old classic workingman's boozer. And it was frequented by working men, mostly from the docks. The last time I was there I shared the bar with the same crowd you did and, to make things even worse, it was karaoke night. I finished my beer and got out fast.

I used to go to Hull frequently to visit my Aunt Eva who lived in Hessle. That's as west Hull as you are going to get.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

NG3

Post by NG3 »

longdog wrote: The last and only time I was in the Criterion it was awash with smack-heads and shoplifters peddling their wares. Last time I went past it was closed down which is a shame because it's a great, traditional boozer inside.
Was on the market late spring, iirc.

My grandmas family had a shop just up from King Billy, back in the day, and I still have enough family up there that I get occasional local news.
AndyPandy

Post by AndyPandy »

longdog wrote:
Alexandra Road, just to the west of Bev Rurde, my Grandmother in her long working life was a bar maid in just about every pub in the city and knew EVERYONE !!

When she eventually retired at the age of 70, applied for her pension only to discover her birth certificate said she'd been born on the 5th November, for 70 years she'd celebrated it on the 25th, she was like the Queen with 2 birthdays :haha:
Hanslune

Post by Hanslune »

I've been to Hull only once; I made sure the windows were tightly rolled up and then I revved up to the maximum speed and sped thru without looking left or right...and survived.
longdog

Post by longdog »

Hanslune wrote:I've been to Hull only once; I made sure the windows were tightly rolled up and then I revved up to the maximum speed and sped thru without looking left or right...and survived.
I know that's not true because Hull's not on the way to anywhere :naughty:
FatGambit

Post by FatGambit »

Hanslune wrote:I've been to Hull only once; I made sure the windows were tightly rolled up and then I revved up to the maximum speed and sped thru without looking left or right...and survived.
My cousin does the same...

Only he lives there.
NigelJK
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by NigelJK »

I can't find it now but the most memorable DA for me was the Boyfriend who wanted to surprise his Girlfriend with a firework after proposing. So he kept it in his trouser pocket until the big moment, well somehow (I can't remember it all) the firework gets ignited too soon and he managed to fulfil all of the requirements to receive a DA, one of the rare 'Survivors' DA's.
100,000 lemmings CAN'T be wrong.
AndyPandy

Post by AndyPandy »

Ha ha you'de have ended up in the North Sea ! The M62, the road to nowhere :lol:
PeanutGallery

Post by PeanutGallery »

AndyPandy wrote:The M62, the road to nowhere :lol:
Or the road that leads away from Hull and towards civilisation.
Warning may contain traces of nut
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

NigelJK wrote:I can't find it now but the most memorable DA for me was the Boyfriend who wanted to surprise his Girlfriend with a firework after proposing. So he kept it in his trouser pocket until the big moment, well somehow (I can't remember it all) the firework gets ignited too soon and he managed to fulfil all of the requirements to receive a DA, one of the rare 'Survivors' DA's.
Seriously? You think a guy igniting fireworks in his pant's pocket qualifies? He'll have to do a lot better than that to qualify in the Darwin awards' fireworks category.

http://www.loweringthebar.net/2012/02/b ... ocket.html

http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/02/02/Rocket.pdf

Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

FatGambit wrote:
My cousin does the same...

Only he lives there.
You could do worse. I've been to Grimsby.

NigelJK
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by NigelJK »

@Burnaby: I was aware of the more recent 'fad' of anal fireworks (and the monumental stupidity that requires) and other anal activities that beggar belief recorded on the site but mine was from many years ago and was in a more innocent time when the Awards were in their infancy and still got reported on the News. I'll see if I can dig it up.
100,000 lemmings CAN'T be wrong.
Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot »

Greengrass wrote:Not sure if this one has been mentioned anywhere but wonder if he qualifies
I don't think so. Chris Coverdale has been protesting our nation's military adventurism for over a decade, in a dignified and non-violent way. Refusing to pay council tax is a gesture towards that campaign, rather than a selfish Goofyist attempt to evade civil responsibilities.
"don't be hubris ever..." Steve Mccrae, noted legal ExpertInFuckAll.
slowsmile

Post by slowsmile »

Hercule Parrot wrote:
Greengrass wrote:Not sure if this one has been mentioned anywhere but wonder if he qualifies
I don't think so. Chris Coverdale has been protesting our nation's military adventurism for over a decade, in a dignified and non-violent way. Refusing to pay council tax is a gesture towards that campaign, rather than a selfish Goofyist attempt to evade civil responsibilities.
Couple of points;

1) If Coverdale wanted to make a protest, surely it would have been better to simply refuse to pay rather than using the discredited woo of "council tax is illegal because it funds terrorist actions" - Tony Farrell had tried it in 2012 to general laughter / derision.
2) I don't think this activity is really FoTL / Sov Cit - more Conspiracy Theorist - I know there is a big overlap between the two but from experience whilst nearly all Sov's will subscribe to 9/11, 7/7 inside jobby, Chemtrails etc, most CT's tend to not to subscribe to FoTL / Sov Cit woo - eg. Upper Cap / Lose the Name/ Statute v Contract / "Common Law".
wanglepin

Post by wanglepin »

I am struggling to nominate these 2015 awards. I have it down to a tie between jimmywx11 Goofer AKA James - me war chest - Wyld

And king Goofer Mark Ceylon - where’s me phone -? Haining.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqUhR4n ... g&index=91