George Washington's revenge, Yanks coming to the UK..

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

NigelJK
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Re: Who wants a pint with Burnaby49?

Post by NigelJK »

Booking West Coast mainline tickets on-line (with Virgin) could be an answer to the driving bit for places such as Manchester, Crewe, Birmingham, London etc. It 2 hrs to London from Manchester (and vis-a-versa), and booked early enough in advance at the 'right time' can cost as little as £12.
100,000 lemmings CAN'T be wrong.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

NigelJK wrote:Booking West Coast mainline tickets on-line (with Virgin) could be an answer to the driving bit for places such as Manchester, Crewe, Birmingham, London etc. It 2 hrs to London from Manchester (and vis-a-versa), and booked early enough in advance at the 'right time' can cost as little as £12.
Exactly what we plan to do when we become too much of a road hazard. We've already done it from London to Manchester and Liverpool just to try it out. Worked great. This trip I'm knocking off a lot of country pubs that are impractical by train/bus. Like the Tan Hill pub in Yorkshire. Beautiful countryside but isolated.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Joinder
Banned (Permanently)
Banned (Permanently)

Post by Joinder »

Are you packing your sandals, socks and baggy shorts ensemble ?
ericp
Tourist to Quatloosia
Tourist to Quatloosia

Post by ericp »

You might want to wear one of these so people can recognise you Burnaby.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

ericp wrote:You might want to wear one of these so people can recognise you Burnaby.
I note that you are not on the list of the individuals who have signed up to join me for a pint. After that suggestion you are staying that way.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

PeanutGallery
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by PeanutGallery »

I thought the attire of choice for the meeting was the onesie? So we could have a dance off.
Warning may contain traces of nut
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

PeanutGallery wrote:I thought the attire of choice for the meeting was the onesie? So we could have a dance off.
I have my dignity, I have standards to maintain. I am a moderator. No semi-pink (looks purple to me) tailless beaver suits. I either have a full flamboyant tail or nothing! And I can assure you nobody wants to see me in nothing. Particularly dancing.

Found something interesting in my relentless quest for pubs. A pub in a suburban part of south Worcester called the Maple Leaf. Could mean anything? Not when it's on Canada Way. The entire subdivision has streets named after Canadian cities, provinces or prominent Canadians. Ottawa, Vancouver, Halifax, Edmonton, Alberta, Quebec, Ontario, Calgary, Regina, Whitehorse, Manitoba, Winnipeg, they're all in there. Sadly no Burnaby. I've already mapped it out to grab a beer there on our way into Worcester from Gatwick.

Canada Way is an actual, and very important, street here in Burnaby. Canada Way, Hastings, and Kingsway are the three main streets in the city.

Joinder
Banned (Permanently)
Banned (Permanently)

Post by Joinder »

Burnaby49 wrote:
PeanutGallery wrote:I thought the attire of choice for the meeting was the onesie? So we could have a dance off.
I have my dignity, I have standards to maintain. I am a moderator. No semi-pink (looks purple to me) tailless beaver suits. I either have a full flamboyant tail or nothing! And I can assure you nobody wants to see me in nothing. Particularly dancing.

Found something interesting in my relentless quest for pubs. A pub in a suburban part of south Worcester called the Maple Leaf. Could mean anything? Not when it's on Canada Way. The entire subdivision has streets named after Canadian cities, provinces or prominent Canadians. Ottawa, Vancouver, Halifax, Edmonton, Alberta, Quebec, Ontario, Calgary, Regina, Whitehorse, Manitoba, Winnipeg, they're all in there. Sadly no Burnaby. I've already mapped it out to grab a beer there on our way into Worcester from Gatwick.

Canada Way is an actual, and very important, street here in Burnaby. Canada Way, Hastings, and Kingsway are the three main streets in the city.
I hope the standard of conversation is a bit more interesting than street names when we meet up for a drink buddy, or I'll have to bring a book with me.
vampireLOREN

Post by vampireLOREN »

Joinder wrote:
Burnaby49 wrote:

I hope the standard of conversation is a bit more interesting than street names when we meet up for a drink buddy, or I'll have to bring a book with me.
I could not disagree more, place names are like real ale an acquired taste. It is considered good manners when sipping a warm "Brown and Suds" to lean back and casually run off a list of pointless place names. It is also desirable to visit the said places. If you insist on bringing a book with you? would you please make it a guide book .
If people from Poland are called Poles Why are aren't people from Holland called Holes?
vampireLOREN

Post by vampireLOREN »

Burnaby49 wrote:
ericp wrote:You might want to wear one of these so people can recognise you Burnaby.
I note that you are not on the list of the individuals who have signed up to join me for a pint. After that suggestion you are staying that way.
GeeWhizzz .....Talk about Grumpy :naughty: .
If people from Poland are called Poles Why are aren't people from Holland called Holes?
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

vampireLOREN wrote:
Burnaby49 wrote:
GeeWhizzz .....Talk about Grumpy :naughty: .
No, I'm not coming like this either;

Although I do have a white beard. You brits have odd suggestions for my attire. Would you prefer this;

YiamCross

Post by YiamCross »

Burnaby49 wrote:

Although I do have a white beard. You brits have odd suggestions for my attire. Would you prefer this;

Tough choice, maybe you could alternate?
bmxninja357

Post by bmxninja357 »

im pretty sure burnaby49 should fit in to the environment as good as he can. so his usual teddy boy outfits should work.

for those not familiar with teddy boys here is a short film.
https://vimeo.com/100591391

yup
ninj
whoever said laughter is the best medicine never had gonorrhea....
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

bmxninja357 wrote:im pretty sure burnaby49 should fit in to the environment as good as he can. so his usual teddy boy outfits should work.

for those not familiar with teddy boys here is a short film.
https://vimeo.com/100591391

yup
ninj
I fit in perfectly. A befuddled old drunk rambling on about how much beer costs nowadays.

bmxninja357

Post by bmxninja357 »

if its price of beer thats bothering ya this ought to help.

price of beer info-graphic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeqP8dP1ZUA

peace,
ninj
whoever said laughter is the best medicine never had gonorrhea....
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

I don't think he's old enough to be a teddy boy. But i can see him as a mod.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
PeanutGallery

Post by PeanutGallery »

vampireLOREN wrote:
Joinder wrote:
Burnaby49 wrote:

I could not disagree more, place names are like real ale an acquired taste. It is considered good manners when sipping a warm "Brown and Suds" to lean back and casually run off a list of pointless place names. It is also desirable to visit the said places. If you insist on bringing a book with you? would you please make it a guide book .
My favourite place name is "Where the pig fell off" it's on an island that's called inaccessible, probably because of all the falling pigs.
Warning may contain traces of nut
Footloose52

Post by Footloose52 »

CAMRA members tend to be the butt of jokes in the UK:

The usual is that of an older person with a beard, substantial beer belly and wearing socks and sandals.

or this portrait of a branch treasurer from October 1976.

Unfortunately the stereotype continues albeit with those depicted being older and usually with a long flowing white beard.
SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

Footloose52 wrote:CAMRA members tend to be the butt of jokes in the UK:

The usual is that of an older person with a beard, substantial beer belly and wearing socks and sandals.

or this portrait of a branch treasurer from October 1976.

Unfortunately the stereotype continues albeit with those depicted being older and usually with a long flowing white beard.
I've removed my beard......
Is it SteveUK or STEVE: of UK?????
Footloose52

Post by Footloose52 »

I don't possess a beard but I can muster the CAMRA card and, if needed, the sandals with (shock, horror) WHITE socks! In fact I envy those, including my son, who can grow a lush beard ....

I'm also not a million miles from Nottingham and have fond memories of the city from quite a few years ago having lived there from 1988 to 1994.

And, finally, I don't need asking twice if I'd like a pint. Trouble is my preferred pint is made by strange folk who use apples for their source.