George Washington's revenge, Yanks coming to the UK..

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Re: Who wants a pint with Burnaby49?

Post by Burnaby49 »

Pox wrote:What aircraft is that?
A comet?
Please, this is a prop plane, the Comet was a jet. It's a Bristol Britannia, a turbo-prop. Essentially a transition between propellor and jet, a set of propellors attached to jet turbine engines. More efficient but slower.

The Bristol Britannia was a great aircraft and it could have had a good run at sales and service if the British had actually focused on developing it. Post-war the British goverment funded the development of way too many different aircraft types so that none of them really got the necessary attention. Britannia prototypes were ordered in 1949 but it wasn't ready for operational service until early 1957 and it really didn't get going until 1958 with transatlantic flights;
The 18 Bristol Britannia 312s for BOAC were delivered from September 1957 with its service introduction on the first-ever non-stop flight from London to Canada on 19 December 1957.[38] In late December 1957 BOAC began regular Britannia flights from London to New York.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Britannia

By that time the Boeing 707, a jet with a 200 mph advantage in cruise speed, was almost ready for service so potential customers held off buying the Britannia and ordered the 707 instead. There were over 1,000 707's built compared to 85 Britannias. BOAC was forced to buy it by the British government and some Canadian airlines had it for a while but it's time had passed by the time it got into service. In 1962 we flew from Vancouver to New York and caught the BOAC Britannia's New York-Manchester run. My mother was very loyal to BOAC.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
NYGman
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by NYGman »

Ahhhh..... I went with DC7. Thought about the Bristol Britannia, but the tail on the illustration looked wrong. Oh well, Bristol Britannia was a great plane, just came out too late.
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
longdog

Post by longdog »

Nope... That's a Bristol Britannia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Britannia

ETA: Damn you and your edits :Axe:
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
Pox

Post by Pox »

Duh - shows what I know!!!!! (or don't know)
Greengrass
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by Greengrass »

Here's a one you may be interested in if you can fit it in http://www.tynedalebeerfestival.org.uk/
getoutofdebtfools
Pirate
Pirate

Post by getoutofdebtfools »

Whilst the real ale thing is not for me it is surely a must to visit http://elwesarms.co.uk/ to see Hatman Tom, Sweaty Sue and Amanda Puke.
Oh the irony of the Get Out Of Debt Free website :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now owned by a debt management company :brickwall: Bye bye Ceylon :haha:
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

PeanutGallery wrote:If, and I realise it's a pretty big if, Burnaby wants I can show him and his friend around some of the secret areas of the Water Rats in Kings Cross (the stuff that the normal hoi polloi are largely unaware of). It's also a pub that Burnaby has admitted to never having drunk in in London and I can have a word about getting some good old Canadian beer in.

Did drink in McSorleys, just the sort of bar I've always wanted to have a drink in, a 'traditional' old fashioned American bar experience.
Not only am I going to the Water Rat it is ABSOLUTEY DEFINITELY on my list. It's a shameful personal failure on my part to have missed it when it is almost ground zero for local pubs when I stay in London (a few blocks from the Tavistock hotels and just south of King's Cross). I honestly don't know how it slipped past my pub search. And I missed the Lucas Arms right around the corner and the Queen's Head. All three are fine looking establishment. Well I'll rectify that next June. And Peanut, it would be entirely fitting to meet you and any other Londoners at the Rat. However If you import Canadian beer for us, we'll be drinking alone. Although I do plan to have a beer at the maple Leaf. Just not any Canadian swill.

"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

SteveUK wrote:If you do end up drifting through Nottingham or Sheffield , shout.

It would be rude not stopping at the home of uk sovcit insanity
Both are almost certainly on our list. Just haven't booked them yet. I've been asked what are the admission requirement to join the elite group who can have a beer with Burnaby. There are two requirements, both non-negotiable.

1 - You're actually willing to sit across a pub table from an elderly Canadian drunk and his equally elderly and drunk friend.

2 - You are not joinder

SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

Burnaby49 wrote:
SteveUK wrote:If you do end up drifting through Nottingham or Sheffield , shout.

It would be rude not stopping at the home of uk sovcit insanity
Both are almost certainly on our list. Just haven't booked them yet. I've been asked what are the admission requirement to join the elite group who can have a beer with Burnaby. There are two requirements, both non-negotiable.

1 - You're actually willing to sit across a pub table from an elderly Canadian drunk and his equally elderly and drunk friend.

2 - You are not joinder
Sensible rules for a happier Britain.
Is it SteveUK or STEVE: of UK?????
YiamCross

Post by YiamCross »

Burnaby49 wrote:a turbo-prop. Essentially a transition between propellor and jet, a set of propellors attached to jet turbine engines.
Turbo props are anything but a transition from piston to jet. They are a thriving class of propulsion in their own right with plenty of examples in the air and on the market today. Just not ideal for trans continental travel.

On the beer front I hope to be too drunk to notice who's opposite me and I'm 100% joinder free so I'm hoping I might qualify for a pint with Burnaby.

Side note on the Elwes Arms, if you notify the appropriate authorities on your arrival they send a meet and greet crew to perform an agitprop street installation for you. I know, it happened to me.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

By "transition" I meant for the power source for the big planes, the large long-range passenger aircraft. While turboprops are more fuel efficient on a miles-per gallon basis they just couldn't compete in the long-range passenger market with jets because of the huge speed difference. The B.O.A.C. Britannia's that I flew in had a schedules flight time on the New York - UK run of 12 hours eastbound, and 9 hours 50 min westbound. The comparable times for the 707 were 9 hours 5 minutes and 6 hours 55 minutes.

However the speed difference is not that important in the smaller short range aircraft and the economics of the fuel savings on a gallon per mile basis are very important. So turboprops still thrive on the commuter flight passenger market. Bombadier, a Canadian aircrft manufacturer, still makes the Dash 8, a very sucessful 40 to 86 seat turboprop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dehavilland_Dash_8

Somehow you managed to pass the stringent requirements of having a beer with Burnaby so you're in.

The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

burnaby49 wrote:So turboprops still thrive on the commuter flight passenger market. Bombadier, a Canadian aircrft manufacturer, still makes the Dash 8, a very sucessful 40 to 86 seat turboprop.

Rode on one last night to Seattle. An efficient, if rather noisy, beast.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

The Observer wrote:
burnaby49 wrote:So turboprops still thrive on the commuter flight passenger market. Bombadier, a Canadian aircrft manufacturer, still makes the Dash 8, a very sucessful 40 to 86 seat turboprop.

From what I can recall of the Britannia (over 50 years ago) it was noisy with a constant vibration throughout the aircraft. I remember my water glass slowly moving around the tray powered by the engine frequency.

The Dash 8 is much used between Seattle and Vancouver. Alaska Air offers a lot of flights from Seattle. If you book them from Vancouver they shuttle you down in a Dash 8. I've done it frequently, the ideal use for the aircraft. Given the short distance and the inevitable time spent on take-off and landing the speed difference from a jet is irrelevant.

ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Looks forward to going into a pub and asking for a big pink Canadian beaver......
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
morrand

Post by morrand »

The Observer wrote:

Have ridden on them between Midway (Chicago) and Bishop (Toronto City) airports. If I remember correctly, that was the first flight I've been in where they didn't bother to demonstrate the oxygen masks before takeoff, because the plane didn't have them.

Porter Airlines seems to thrive on the things, although I question whether going from Toronto to Orlando, Florida in a Dash 8 (as they seem to advertise) is really a good plan.
---
Morrand
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Have ridden on them between Midway (Chicago) and Bishop (Toronto City) airports. If I remember correctly, that was the first flight I've been in where they didn't bother to demonstrate the oxygen masks before takeoff, because the plane didn't have them.

Porter Airlines seems to thrive on the things, although I question whether going from Toronto to Orlando, Florida in a Dash 8 (as they seem to advertise) is really a good plan.
They're a short-hop aircraft that generally doesn't go high enough to require oxygen. I believe it is required for flights that go over 25,000 feet altitude. Toronto-Orlando would be a long run for them but not excessively so. A little over 1,000 miles. It would have to be the 400 Series because that is the only variant with the range and it is much faster than the standard Dash 8. It could do the distance in well under 3 hours. It flies higher than the rest so it is available with oxygen;
Q400
Stretched and improved 70–78 passenger version that entered service in 2000. Its 360 knot (667 km/h) cruise speed is 60–90 knots (111–166 km/h) higher than its competitors/predecessors. Powered by PW150A engines rated at 5,071 shp (3,781 kW) at maximum power (4,850 shp or 3,620 kW maximum continuous rated). The maximum operating altitude is 25,000 ft (7,600 m) for the standard version, although a version with drop-down oxygen masks is offered, which increases maximum operating altitude to 27,000 ft (8,200 m). All Q400s include the ANVS system

Losleones

Post by Losleones »

May i suggest caution in what is posted on this site regarding Burnaby's beer tour of Britain given Yiams recent escapades with Tom & Co? These arseholes thrive on confrontation as they have naff all better to do with their time & as we know, they look in here regularly.
vampireLOREN

Post by vampireLOREN »

Losleones wrote:May i suggest caution in what is posted on this site regarding Burnaby's beer tour of Britain given Yiams recent escapades with Tom & Co? These arseholes thrive on confrontation as they have naff all better to do with their time & as we know, they look in here regularly.
I thought that too :lol: , especially concerning certain ale houses . People are free to consume whatever food they like but, I would avoid the home cooked meat filled savoury pastries. My Grand Dad was a great player of cards and he always said when you win... appear surprised.....never rub the others mans face in it, placing on social media the dates and the intention to attend 'certain' public house's may be inviting an 'interesting' evening.
By coincidence ...It could be some totally innocent party visiting an English Ale house wearing a gaudy padded coat, Wooly Hat and speaking with a Canadian accent might get involved in a confusing verbal argument.
That being said if you do attend please video the evening.
If people from Poland are called Poles Why are aren't people from Holland called Holes?
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

To be honest, I would think by June of next year the whole TC affair will just be a memory, and that no one will be taking any notice of Tom or his family.

I may be over optimistic here, but I wouldn't worry about it one bit. And besides if TC did show up, it could be interesting... I would even buy him a half-pint... (Would not splurge for the full)
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

I don't intend to post any times and places on Quatloos. I'll be arranging both via PM's. I'll be dropping by the Elwes but not announcing it, just dropping in for a pie and a pint. I'd just as soon not meet Amanda, delightful as she may be in person. But who know, if Tom is allowed access to the Elwes he may be there muttering to himelf about ancient glory day while I have my repast.