George Washington's revenge, Yanks coming to the UK..

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Re: George Washington's revenge, Yanks coming to the UK..

Post by grixit »

Not named after the Essex?
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

It's been a hard year for me. I had it right the first earlier in the thread, then fumbled on the repeat.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

grixit wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:24 pm Not named after the Essex?
What Burnaby meant was that the new Hornet and Wasp carriers, which were built on the Essex design, were named after the original Wasp and Hornet.

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

When a number of ships are built from the same design the entire group is designated as a named class from the name of the first ship that started construction. The U.S. entered WWII with three Yorktown Class carriers (Yorktown, Hornet, Enterprise) two Lexingtons (Lexington and Saratoga) and the Wasp, a single ship built to a failed design. All except the Enterprise and Saratoga were sunk by the end of 1942. However, prior to entering the war, the U.S. had started construction on a new, improved carrier design. Since the USS Essex was the first of the class (24 ships completed) it was called the Essex Class. They started entering service in mid-1943 and these formed the basis of the legendary carrier fleet the navy used to battle the Japanese in 1944-1945. All preserved American aircraft carriers are from the Essex Class except the USS Midway which did not see service in WWII.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

I don't want to keep the thread too far off track; but the USS Salem (CA-139), completed in 1946 and mothballed in 1959, was left in almost its mothballed condition when it was acquired as a naval museum, near the shipyard where she was built. Except for the bridge fittings, and some compartments which have been repurposed, the ship looks much as she did in 1959. Several of my old BSA troop's Eagle Scouts did their Eagle service projects on board; and my daughter, who often helped out on those, did a school service project and her Girl Scout Silver Award project on board. The ship is well worth a visit.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

And here is an article about the Intrepid:

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2021/06/uss ... rier-ever/

AnOwlCalledSage
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

The Observer wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:58 pm And here is an article about the Intrepid:
Last time I was in NYC I went on the Intrepid. I like pushing buttons and things sort of exhibits.

Sadly the Submarine Museum in Gosport has removed what I thought was their best gimmick. They have the periscope from HMS Conqueror. When it was first installed, you could use it to look around Portsmouth Harbour and the Solent.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
grixit

Post by grixit »

Burnaby49 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:24 pm When a number of ships are built from the same design the entire group is designated as a named class from the name of the first ship that started construction. The U.S. entered WWII with three Yorktown Class carriers (Yorktown, Hornet, Enterprise) two Lexingtons (Lexington and Saratoga) and the Wasp, a single ship built to a failed design. All except the Enterprise and Saratoga were sunk by the end of 1942. However, prior to entering the war, the U.S. had started construction on a new, improved carrier design. Since the USS Essex was the first of the class (24 ships completed) it was called the Essex Class. They started entering service in mid-1943 and these formed the basis of the legendary carrier fleet the navy used to battle the Japanese in 1944-1945. All preserved American aircraft carriers are from the Essex Class except the USS Midway which did not see service in WWII.
Ah. My father was on the Essex. From what he told us (not much) it apparently saw less action than most. I asked him once about kamakazis. He said that they trusted in a "ring of steel", the ability to cover 360 degrees around the ship with heavy machine gun fire, but they never had to use it.

. . . . . . Dr Pepper
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

longdog wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:44 am There will always be a welcome for you at...

Illuminati (UK) Top Secret Headquarters.
Bay Tree Lane
Polegate
East Sussex
BN26 6QN

Signposted from the A22 or ask for directions.
I plan to be in the general vicinity, if not Portsmouth then Hasting where I plan to go on Christmas day. Its part of my plan to celebrate the day, 955 years later. I'm good for a pint if you want to figure it out.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

TheRambler wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:35 pm
Gregg wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:57 am **snip**

If anyone knows anyone in Customs or the travel industry I'd appreciate it if you'd ask should I bother coming?
**snip**

Their will be some significant relaxation of UK rules in a couple of weeks time but it is expected that infection rates will rise as a result. However as the Observer says:

Paranoia and a dash of politics; there's a lot of that in Europe; comes into play, along with an expected seasonal rise in the hospitalisation rate and I can't really imagine things will settle down until mid 2022.

TheRambler
You say they plan to relax the rules soon? The prices, both for airfare and lodging are dirt cheap right now which I suspect has to do with general lockdowns. If they relax the rules I'm afraid the prices will go way up.

I'm gonna decide before I go back to work, I'm on vacation this week.
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

I asked him once about kamakazis. He said that they trusted in a "ring of steel", the ability to cover 360 degrees around the ship with heavy machine gun fire, but they never had to use it.
Perhaps they should have. The Essex received damage from a kamikaze on November 25, 1944 while off the coast of the Philippines.

Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

The Essex was in constant combat in 1944-1945. Philippine Sea, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, Leyte Gulf, it was in all the major actions.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

LONDON, July 5 (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson set out plans on Monday to end social and economic COVID-19 restrictions in England in two weeks' time, a test of whether a rapid vaccine rollout offers enough protection from the highly contagious Delta variant.
https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uks-jo ... 021-07-04/
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

JamesVincent wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:42 am
LONDON, July 5 (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson set out plans on Monday to end social and economic COVID-19 restrictions in England in two weeks' time, a test of whether a rapid vaccine rollout offers enough protection from the highly contagious Delta variant.
https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uks-jo ... 021-07-04/

Thanks!

I also note that the answer came from Kentucky. :snicker:
AnOwlCalledSage

Gregg wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:17 am I also note that the answer came from Kentucky. :snicker:
You don't think for a moment that us Brits would believe something coming out from the lying liar's mouth, and mislead you by posting something that eventually turned out to be another lie do you?

This is a man who was within touching distance of removing restrictions, then ****ed it up by refusing to close the borders to Indian travellers just at the time the delta variant spiked there because he had just signed a new trade deal with India.

Still plenty of time for him to **** it up again!
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
grixit

Post by grixit »

Burnaby49 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:08 pm The Essex was in constant combat in 1944-1945. Philippine Sea, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, Leyte Gulf, it was in all the major actions.
Hmm, perhaps he had left by then. Or maybe he just understated things. He didn't talk about it much other than his cryptographic work.

. . . . . . Dr Pepper
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Okay kids, back to my trip.

On Fogbow one of my random thread hijacks led to a discussion of the floors of churches and that led down a tangent to Canterbury Cathedral. I'd like to see the Becket Shrine (I know Tom is gone, but that's okay, Im happy to leave a message).

Can you go to Canterbury and back by rail in a day and not miss a wild night's bacchanal in the Keith Richards Suite at Marble Arch?

I want to go, but I have nightly obligations and all.
hucknallred

Post by hucknallred »

Canterbury West is well served by train from London terminii Victoria and St. Pancras.
The south east is well served by rail in general.
AnOwlCalledSage

Driving it's between one and a half and two hours each way from central London depending on traffic.

There's the fast train which is about an hour; the intermediate train which is an hour and a half; and the slow train which is two hours.

Cheapest return is £30. If you want the fast train the cheapest is £36. These prices assume that you will travel during super off-peak times. A "normal" day return (including the fast trains) is around £45. Either Canterbury station will do, but the fast trains only go from Canterbury West.

If you plan to do a lot of train travel, then getting a rail card gets a third off. They cost £30. The Network Card is for the South-East only (but it's a surprisingly large area and you can also get a discount on the River Bus, which is one of the lesser known cheap tourist trips you can do); There's also Senior and Two-Together cards which covers the whole country (with the Two Together both named people must be traveling.)
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

So far my plans include Windsor, Portsmouth, Canterbury and in London I want to spend a day in the British Museum, a day at the Tower. I'm getting in 24th December and leaving 31st December.

Among other things, I'll need to find something to do on Christmas Day as I'm guessing a lot of things will be closed (does the Tower of London close?) and of course anyone who wants to brave a trip to London I'd be happy to meet. (Liz Hurley, looking at you).

We'll see as it goes along. My biggest fear actually is that I have to take the COVID test 3 days prior and what do I do if I test positive? I'm fully vaccinated so not a big worry, but one I will lose sleep over between now and then.

I'm staying at Amba Marble Arch, the Keith Richards suite, of course. Inform Scotland I shall need drinks, something at least 12 and preferably more than 40 years old, The Glenlivet 1964 Cask Reserve 50 year old would be just great, send a tanker truck of it if you can.

:snicker: