Claire Knowles jailed

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

AndyPandy
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Claire Knowles jailed

Post by AndyPandy »

Will she, won't she, Claire Knowles has until 7pm tonight to purge her contempt or back to jail she goes, the suspense it's killing me !!

http://www.fliuch.org/cork-woman-claire ... n-to-jail/
longdog

Post by longdog »

AndyPandy wrote:Will she, won't she, Claire Knowles has until 7pm tonight to purge her contempt or back to jail she goes, the suspense it's killing me !!

http://www.fliuch.org/cork-woman-claire ... n-to-jail/
In non-legal terms.... "You lost... Get over it and stop being a prat or you'll spend xmas in jail" :snicker:
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot »

Do we know any more? Google has nothing....
"don't be hubris ever..." Steve Mccrae, noted legal ExpertInFuckAll.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Sergeant Schultz wrote:I know nothing!
Forsyth
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by Forsyth »

Hercule Parrot wrote:Do we know any more? Google has nothing....
I found very little on this, in particular nothing directly from Claire Knowles who does not appear to be publicising the case herself, which I feel should temper our response.

In court she appeared with her McKenzie friend, Ben Gilroy, who has been mentioned here before. Initial discussion centred on whether he would be allowed to speak on her behalf. While not being familiar with the Irish court process, this would obviously be somewhat exceptional in the UK. Ben had, however, found an example of this being permitted in the past, which was sufficiently convincing to persuade the judge to have a brief adjournment to consider it, so credit for coming prepared with at least half an argument. Ultimately the judge wasn't convinced and refused him permission to speak on Claire's behalf. This caused some confusion on Twitter and Facebook as some felt that she had been denied legal representation, while others took the fact that Ben was still in court and advising her as a sign that he was representing her in court.

There appeared to be some suggestion that Claire/Ben tried to revisit the original circumstances of the possession order but, if this was the case, then it went nowhere as the case was about the validity of the order and not the circumstances under which it was made. The defending party was the governor of Limerick Prison and so obviously not the correct target for such an approach.

The issue of a change of names from ICS Building Society to Bank of Ireland was also raised and dismissed.

The main area that was left was if Claire Knowles was given sufficient time to arrange legal representation at the contempt hearing. While transcripts of the previous hearing were being obtained Claire was released from custody on bail. Following the review of the previous hearing this was also dismissed as an issue.

Claire was then given until Thursday 17th December 2015 to "purge her contempt". By this point, the bank had taken the opportunity to re-take possession of Claire's old home, and this gave rise to a comment that she had nothing to purge by then.

At this point we don't know what happened next but, from the lack of outcry to the contrary, we may assume that the house is still in the bank's possession and that Claire remains free.

Since then, a Go Fund Me pages has been set up by someone called Beatrice Vaillant calling for donations to help Claire. At the time of writing this has raised €340 (£250GBP/$379USD/$515CAD) out of a requested €200,000. There is no indication that Claire had any involvement in this.

We know little about Claire herself. It seems obligatory to refer to her as a grandmother - sometimes extending that to the tautological "grandmother, mother and daughter" - with the periodic mention of her being "a lovely person". Other than that I feel no reason to pry further as she has not presented herself as a public figure.

Ben Gilroy, her McKenzie friend is a different matter. He has been mentioned here before. There is a character portrait of him on-line here, which includes some familiar phrases such as "The one quality Ben possesses in spades, and a quality that is absolutely required is – Confidence" and "Another quality Ben has in spades is – Courage" and, of course, the old favourite "The presenter asked for Ben’s response to claims that he makes matters worse for people he helps...". He did appear to raise some issues which the court at least considered rather than dismissing out of hand, however it would also appear that the case was hopeless - the only way it would be resolved was by the bank taking possession of the house, and this was the result, and it must be questioned whether Claire's case was helped by dragging the matter through additional days in court and a day (or possibly two) in prison in order to reach the inevitable end. Ben is also a candidate, and previously the leader, for Direct Democracy Ireland.

The banks are, of course, universally referred to as evil. There is a general lack of any specificity as to the particular type of evil they have committed this time, but we may be assured that it is the case.