Mark "Ceylon" Haining, Goofy GOODFer

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

TheNewSaint
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Mark "Ceylon" Haining, Goofy GOODFer

Post by TheNewSaint »

Bones wrote:Anyone have any info on who the "partners" ? I am guessing as haining is involved it may be the other dwarfs (yes I went there :whistle: )
Inspired by letissier14's investigation of GOODF's last phone helpline, I Googled the number 0800 246 5285. It turned up http://www.counciltaxadvisorsscotland.com/, though they seem to have a new 0800 number. It is a Scotland-specific site, with links to http://www.counciltaxadvisors.co.uk/ for other parts of the UK.

At first glance, this looks like a legit debt counseling service. Their advice is along the lines of working with your council to set up payment plans. I could not find any A4V/Promissory Notes/three letters type crap. They are also a member of Advice UK. However, some of their claims are a little borderline:
Council Tax Advisors was formed as a direct result of our founder’s personal experiences with Bailiffs/Enforcement Agents. He owed Council Tax after a period of ill health and the Bailiffs that attended his property acted outside of the law. Subsequently, one Bailiff had his certificate revoked and the other, retired to avoid any further embarrassment.

http://www.counciltaxadvisors.co.uk/about-us/
While that sounds like something Ceylon would say, it's certainly plausible that bailiffs overstepped their bounds against someone who had a legit grievance.

If I have sussed all this correctly: why does GOODF's new helpline have Council Tax Advisors Scotland's old phone number?
  • A terrible coincidence from the random re-assignment of phone numbers?
  • Some kind of collaboration between GOODF and Council Tax Advisors, perhaps with CTA not knowing the true nature of GOODF's advice to debtors?
  • CTA is a more respectable-looking but ultimately FMOTL outfit?
  • GOODF specifically requested the old phone number of a legit agency so as to hijack people seeking legit advice with an outdated phone number?
  • Someone tricked GOODF into publishing the number of a legit debt counseling service, thus routing GOODF visitors to proper assistance?
I hope this is useful.
Bones

Post by Bones »

thanks tns

Head Office would appear to be a residential house.

Counciltaxadvisorsscotland.com is owned by Rite Financial Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority Reg: 637244.

Registered under the Data Protection Act reg: Z2453800.

Registered Address: 512 Ritchie Park, Johnstone, PA5 8JP
Bones

Post by Bones »

Bones wrote: Counciltaxadvisorsscotland.com is owned by Rite Financial Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority Reg: 637244.
Pox

Post by Pox »

TheNewSaint wrote:
If I have sussed all this correctly: why does GOODF's new helpline have Council Tax Advisors Scotland's old phone number?
  • A terrible coincidence from the random re-assignment of phone numbers?
  • Some kind of collaboration between GOODF and Council Tax Advisors, perhaps with CTA not knowing the true nature of GOODF's advice to debtors?
  • CTA is a more respectable-looking but ultimately FMOTL outfit?
  • GOODF specifically requested the old phone number of a legit agency so as to hijack people seeking legit advice with an outdated phone number?
  • Someone tricked GOODF into publishing the number of a legit debt counseling service, thus routing GOODF visitors to proper assistance?
I hope this is useful.
Option 2 for me. GOODF taking a cut for every person who signs up for their services. but CTA having full knowledge of the tripe that is pedalled on GOODF and when the sucker realises that the advice given by GOODF does not work, they go begging for help (at a cost?) to CTA. Neat.
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

Pox wrote:Option 2 for me. GOODF taking a cut for every person who signs up for their services. but CTA having full knowledge of the tripe that is pedalled on GOODF and when the sucker realises that the advice given by GOODF does not work, they go begging for help (at a cost?) to CTA. Neat.
Would that run afoul of UK laws regarding the behavior of debt counseling organizations? Or at least get them into hot water with accrediting bodies like Advice UK?
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

Bones wrote: Head Office would appear to be a residential house.

Counciltaxadvisorsscotland.com is owned by Rite Financial Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority Reg: 637244.

Registered under the Data Protection Act reg: Z2453800.

Registered Address: 512 Ritchie Park, Johnstone, PA5 8JP
Good find. It seems you've found another player in this drama.

The aforementioned About Us page of counciltaxadvisors.co.uk mentions some more names:
It is through our own personal experiences that we have been able understand, advise and help
Chris Richards, Founder, Council Tax Advisors

In 2016 Council Tax Advisors became part of the Carrington Dean Group. Our trading name is Council Tax Advisors but our company name is Council Tax Expert CIC. By teaming up with Carrington Dean we believe we can now help people more than ever, providing free advice for those in council tax debt, or indeed any other debt. They will give expert advice on how best to deal with debt situations and offer solutions where possible.
Do we know Chris Richards or Carrington Dean?

If we want to do a little activism here, I have some ideas.
Footloose52

Post by Footloose52 »

Carrington Dean Group Ltd:

Officers - Mary Dean, Peter Dean, Derek McPhail.

Incorporated 2001.

Principal business - Business advisory and consultancy services.

Total net worth of about £2.4m. About 66 staff (average over 2015). They have three Irish subsidiaries, all seem to be involved in debt recovery or debt advice/insolvency.

Trading names include: Debt Free Wizard, easydebtsolutions.com, Personal & Corporate Development, Easy Debt Solutions, Debt Experts, Carrington Dean, PCD Solutions, PCD, Easy Debt Free, Easy Debt Brokers, The Debt Expert, My Debt Expert(s), Your Debt Expert(s), Ur Debt Expert(s), Our Debt Expert(s), My Debt Solution(s), Your Debt Solution(s), Ur Debt Solution(s), First Debt Solutions, Our Debt Solution(s), Your Debt Compared, BTW Money, Your Money Expert, Your Mortgage Expert, Peter Dean Debt Expert, Your Financial Expert, Your Bill Expert, Your Das Expert, Your Comparison Expert, Your Financial Planning Expert, Your Car Loans Expert, Your Utility Bills Expert, Your Cost Cutting Expert, Your Home Loans Expert

They have Interim Permission issued under the Consumer Credit Act.

The Dean's also run Buchanan Roxburgh Ltd, Insolvency practitioners.
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

Looks like the phone number change was recent:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us
This is Google's cache of http://www.counciltaxadvisorsscotland.c ... -scotland/. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on Oct 26, 2016 09:05:26 GMT.

call us on 0800 246 5285
I realize those Google cache dates aren't always correct, but the page text itself contains "Friday, July 15th, 2016". Still pretty recent for them to have been using a number now being flogged by GOODF.
Pox

Post by Pox »

TheNewSaint wrote:
Pox wrote:Option 2 for me. GOODF taking a cut for every person who signs up for their services. but CTA having full knowledge of the tripe that is pedalled on GOODF and when the sucker realises that the advice given by GOODF does not work, they go begging for help (at a cost?) to CTA. Neat.
Would that run afoul of UK laws regarding the behavior of debt counseling organizations? Or at least get them into hot water with accrediting bodies like Advice UK?
Short answer is I don't know! I don't know if this outfit is a recognised 'debt counseling organisation ' . Maybe someone with more knowledge can help?
PeanutGallery

Post by PeanutGallery »

I do think that until we know what the advice is given by this new hotline actually is and whether it is actually going to be constructive towards someone who is trying to deal with high levels of debt, we should refrain from automatically assuming that the company offering it and working with GOODF is out to pull a fast one or is going to give bad advice.

Their is a chance that they might not be and that they might have gotten through to those behind that website in regard to how a person can go about getting out of debt. If it transpires that the company is not actually providing constructive advice then I am sure that the authorities will both be informed and take whatever action is deemed appropriate.
Warning may contain traces of nut
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I don't know how they do it in the UK, but here, debt counselors/mortgage counselors/finance counselors have to be licensed and registered with the state so that they can be tracked. Seriously cuts down on the scam artists although I don't think anything will ever really stop them.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Footloose52

Post by Footloose52 »

Ahem - Carrington Dean ARE licensed, see above.
Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

According to their website their advice is to set up an affordable repayment plan with either the bailiffs or the Council involved. They also specifically state they will not assist anyone who is willingly trying to avoid paying their Council Tax. Advice exactly 180 degrees apart from the GOODF deadbeats.

They are also set up as a not for profit organisation who pay their staff a "decent living wage". How they generate any income to pay those staff is one question but i doubt they even know they are "working" with GOODF. Someone it appears is pulling a fast one, I am guessing this is something to do with ad revenue.

Out of interest can anyone in the UK advise if their contact numbers are premium rate?
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played. :lol: :lol:
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

0800 numbers are toll free from land lines and mobiles.
Greengrass
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by Greengrass »

For Council Tax Advisors Scotland you need to go back a little further still. The original Council Tax Advisors was set up in approx 2012 in the South West of England and used to charge for their advice. Believe they received a warning over chaing for their services and then went to free advice. I'm a little unsure if they went bankrupt or the guy that ran them - Chris Richards - that went bust but they then resurfaced under a similar name but also run by Carrington Dean as well.
#six

Post by #six »

Any guesses what he's hoping to find out with this request :snicker:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ing-891241
Council Tax Summons
mark haining made this Freedom of Information request to Nottingham City Council

This request has an unknown status. We're waiting for mark haining to read a recent response and update the status.

mark haining 4 November 2016
Delivered
Dear Nottingham City Council,

Who own,s and operates the computer that prints out the summons.

Yours faithfully,

M Haining
Firthy2002

Post by Firthy2002 »

Dear Mr Haining,

Kindly f**k off.

Signed,
Nottingham City Council.
-=Firthy2002=-

Watching idiots dig themselves into holes since 2016.
longdog

Post by longdog »

JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
Footloose52

Post by Footloose52 »

At a guess, if the Council say they own the computer then the 'court' will be a private court 'bought' by the council and it will prove that the summons can be ignored.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Someone here dealing with their helpline, and it sounds as if it's still a Scottish operation .. http://www.getoutofdebtfree.org/forum/v ... CGQhbRS1zI
This afternoon I got a call back from your independent partner who continually refered to me being 'South of the Border'