I think it's a reference to The Handmaid's Tale-- "do not be Offred."
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
longdog
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Mark "Ceylon" Haining, Goofy GOODFer

Post by longdog »

Gregg wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:56 am Stoned people are funny.
Only funny ha-ha to other stoned people unfortunately. Funny peculiar to everybody else.

Much as I enjoy the delights of Beelzebub's Broccoli myself it's a pretty anti-social drug for those who are not partaking. Stoned people are, on the whole, pretty boring.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

longdog wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:08 pm
Gregg wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:56 am Stoned people are funny.
Stoned people are, on the whole, pretty boring.
I concur with Gregg. They are, in the majority of cases I've observed, very funny!
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Cheech and Chong.

All I'm gonna say.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I 'd go with dumb and really dumber.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
longdog

Post by longdog »

Gregg wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:24 am Cheech and Chong.

All I'm gonna say.
As funny as a dose of the clap.

I just don't get "stoner humour". The only two films I can think of that come close to being both "stoner" and funny are The Big Lebowski and Withnail and I but they aren't funny because of the stoner humour. They're just very well made films.
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

I side with longdog that most stoned people are just tedious. Marijuana seems to disable all parts of the brain except those devoted to thinking you're deep, finding everything hilarious, and getting more weed. And I'm not even anti-marijuana.
longdog

Post by longdog »

TheNewSaint wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:42 pm I side with longdog that most stoned people are just tedious. Marijuana seems to disable all parts of the brain except those devoted to thinking you're deep, finding everything hilarious, and getting more weed. And I'm not even anti-marijuana.
I've probably said this before but back when I was going through my first jobs at an alarming rate my boss, later friend, gave me some very valuable advice.

The gist of it was that everybody should at least once, and preferably for each new drug, keep a record of their deep and profound thoughts and revelations when they are high / stoned / tripping and read them back the next day. This will teach you the valuable lesson that your deep and profound thoughts and revelations are not enlightenment or even vaguely original. They are just shit you think when you are high / stoned / tripping.

Once you have got that out of the way you can decide if the drug in question passes whatever fun / danger threshold you have set for using it again, without thinking you are missing out on discovering the true nature of reality. Because it's not there.

It's a policy that's worked well for me for four decades.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

longdog wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:58 pm

All I'm gonna say.

I just don't get "stoner humour". The only two films I can think of that come close to being both "stoner" and funny are The Big Lebowski and Withnail and I but they aren't funny because of the stoner humour. They're just very well made films.
I liked the first Cheech and Chong album; but then, their schtick got tiresome, very quickly.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
John Uskglass

Post by John Uskglass »

The gist of it was that everybody should at least once, and preferably for each new drug, keep a record of their deep and profound thoughts and revelations when they are high / stoned / tripping and read them back the next day. This will teach you the valuable lesson that your deep and profound thoughts and revelations are not enlightenment or even vaguely original

Mr Huxley would beg to differ...
longdog

Post by longdog »

John Uskglass wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:17 pm
The gist of it was that everybody should at least once, and preferably for each new drug, keep a record of their deep and profound thoughts and revelations when they are high / stoned / tripping and read them back the next day. This will teach you the valuable lesson that your deep and profound thoughts and revelations are not enlightenment or even vaguely original

Mr Huxley would beg to differ...
Indeed he would. That's why my opinion of the good Mr Huxley is less than wholly enthusiastic.

The fact you can write in flowing prose about your "spiritual enlightenment" and "transcendent experience" through psychedelics doesn't mean it's any less a festering pile of self-indulgent bollocks. It just means you can pull the wool over your reader's eyes with finely crafted bullshit. :mrgreen:

Aldous Huxley or fourteen year old amateur stoner... It's still just the drugs. I don't see why people want to make the experience into something it isn't.
John Uskglass

Post by John Uskglass »

The fact you can write in flowing prose about your "spiritual enlightenment" and "transcendent experience" through psychedelics doesn't mean it's any less a festering pile of self-indulgent bollocks.
Do you think the same applies to people who describe such states 'achieved' without the use of chemicals?

I can see that if you're a strong materialist, all such 'revelations' are illusory.

My view would be that most drug experiences for most people are as interesting and significant to the rest of us as their dreams. However, I do think that for some people, some drug experiences can be useful and positive. That could be in a therapeutic context, or a creative one.

I have found some drugs useful for inspiration, but to turn that inspiration into something coherent has required sobriety.
longdog

Post by longdog »

John Uskglass wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:23 am Do you think the same applies to people who describe such states 'achieved' without the use of chemicals?
Yes.
I can see that if you're a strong materialist, all such 'revelations' are illusory.
Correct. Well... Maybe not all but the overwhelming majority.
My view would be that most drug experiences for most people are as interesting and significant to the rest of us as their dreams. However, I do think that for some people, some drug experiences can be useful and positive. That could be in a therapeutic context, or a creative one.
I agree 100%. Drugs can make you realise things that you hadn't realised before but I wouldn't call that enlightenment except in the most general sense and that can be achieved in other ways.
I have found some drugs useful for inspiration, but to turn that inspiration into something coherent has required sobriety.
Again I agree 100%.
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

longdog wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:15 pmI have found some drugs useful for inspiration, but to turn that inspiration into something coherent has required sobriety.
Not just sobriety, but you need talent in the first place. Drugs and alcohol modify the brain; they don't activate heretofore dormant sections of it. If Aldus Huxley says the recreational substances took his writing to new levels, I believe him. But he was talented and educated for a start. For most people, smoking a bowl does not make them artistic or funny if they weren't already.
longdog

Post by longdog »

If my experience is anything to go by the whole "inspiration and enlightenment" thing has a far more mundane explanation... Memory.

The revelations aren't really revelations at all. They are things you already knew but you have forgotten you already knew them. When your perception of time is messed up and you have temporarily lost track of cause and effect it's easy to mistake a memory for a new thought. And a new thought for a memory most likely.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Pottapaug1938 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:46 pm
longdog wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:58 pm

All I'm gonna say.

I liked the first Cheech and Chong album; but then, their schtick got tiresome, very quickly.
Up In Smoke killed me in 1978 and for 42 years (Douglas Adams accidental reference) it still makes me laugh hard enough to alarm the pups.

I had my wisdom teeth pulled about 20 hours ago and I'm currently bouncing back and forth between "this hurts a lot worse than I thought it would" and "Man, I really love Codeine" So I'm going to watch it in a few when I go to bed.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
hucknallred

Post by hucknallred »

If there's a bandwagon, Colon will be on it... I've not listened
No FB login required.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

hucknallred wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:42 pm If there's a bandwagon, Colon will be on it... I've not listened
Don't blame you. There's nearly an hour and a half.
hucknallred

Post by hucknallred »

Posting in this scumbag's thread as he made full use of him. Another one for the book of remembrance.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-55216655
Nottingham child abuse campaigner Mickey Summers dies
By Samantha Noble
BBC News

Published1 hour ago