Rekha Patel loses her house

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

SteveUK
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Rekha Patel loses her house

Post by SteveUK »

She’ll certainly fall afoul of something, that’s for sure.
Be it bringing the school into disrepute (perhaps a tenuous claim?), or simply she’ll likely fail interviews for a new job due to her new found convictions.

A criminal record doesn’t rule you out of teaching.....what severity of crime does is somewhat of a grey line however.
Is it SteveUK or STEVE: of UK?????
daveBeeston

Post by daveBeeston »

Schools are a strange place when it comes to disciplining the teaching staff and most heads/principles and governing bodies will go out of their way to avoid it, a few years ago I was helping my brother out(his business was based in a school)one night when I caught two teachers having sex in a supply closet, I reported it to one of the deputy heads who was at the time of the incident leading a parents evening.
The incident was "investigated" and dismissed as they concluded I had misinterpreted the situation as the teachers claimed they where just joking around as they knew I was there and thought it would be funny(as we all do at work minus trousers and underwear).
If the school Recka is employed at can get away with just moving her on to another school they will, it's highly unlikely they will sack her.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never argue with an idiot,they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Yeah that ^
It goes back many years but a friend of mine who was teaching said once he joined a union he was in a job for life unless he got caught f****** one of the pupils.
I wonder if Rekha is old enough to take early retirement?
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

I don’t think she’ll end up with a choice. Given she’s lost everything though she’ll need to find a new career to put a roof over her head.

Law perhaps?
Is it SteveUK or STEVE: of UK?????
Comrade Sharik
Pirate
Pirate

Post by Comrade Sharik »

If she's off sick with mental health issues (I have no idea if that's the case, but it seems likely) then taking disciplinary action would be a bit of a minefield. The employer risks being accused of exacerbating the condition, and the employee can stall the process effectively by being too ill to attend meetings/hearings. And that's before we get to the disability discrimination issues...
He Who Knows

Post by He Who Knows »

Well check out Rightmove. Patel Cottage is up for auction at a starting price of £135k !! That's a cool £100k killing for someone once the dust has settled in a few months time.
Last edited by He Who Knows on Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The wise man does at once what the fool does finally (Niccolo Machiavelli)...and what the FMOTL never does (He Who Knows)
longdog

Post by longdog »

Comrade Sharik wrote:If she's off sick with mental health issues (I have no idea if that's the case, but it seems likely) then taking disciplinary action would be a bit of a minefield. The employer risks being accused of exacerbating the condition, and the employee can stall the process effectively by being too ill to attend meetings/hearings. And that's before we get to the disability discrimination issues...
Whilst disciplinary action might be out of bounds there's nothing to stop an employee being 'let go' if their illness results in them being unable to do the job and making 'accommodations' for the person are impractical. The longer a period of sick leave lasts the easier it is for the employer to say "Clearly you are too ill to continue in the job and therefore we regretfully have no option but to terminate your employment". It's a minefield for the employer and the employee...
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
AndyPandy

Post by AndyPandy »

longdog wrote:
Comrade Sharik wrote:If she's off sick with mental health issues (I have no idea if that's the case, but it seems likely) then taking disciplinary action would be a bit of a minefield. The employer risks being accused of exacerbating the condition, and the employee can stall the process effectively by being too ill to attend meetings/hearings. And that's before we get to the disability discrimination issues...
Whilst disciplinary action might be out of bounds there's nothing to stop an employee being 'let go' if their illness results in them being unable to do the job and making 'accommodations' for the person are impractical. The longer a period of sick leave lasts the easier it is for the employer to say "Clearly you are too ill to continue in the job and therefore we regretfully have no option but to terminate your employment". It's a minefield for the employer and the employee...
They could come with a compromise agreement, they offer you a pay off (6 months pay usually) and the employee walks away agreeing not to take any legal action for any form of further compensation or to say anything bad about the employer.
longdog

Post by longdog »

AndyPandy wrote:
longdog wrote:
They could come with a compromise agreement, they offer you a pay off (6 months pay usually) and the employee walks away agreeing not to take any legal action for any form of further compensation or to say anything bad about the employer.
That's pretty much what happened to me when I was off work for 6 months. I was offered full pay for three months with no attendance or sick notes required if gave the company my resignation with three months notice. If they'd waited the three months they would have had my resignation for nothing as I was intending to move away and I was only getting SSP anyway but they didn't need to know that.
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
Siegfried Shrink

Post by Siegfried Shrink »

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 59447.html

Mildly interesting, something I have never seen before in a property auction.
The property is for sale by the Modern Method of Auction which is not to be confused with Traditional auction. The Modern Method of Auction is a flexible buyer friendly method of purchase. We do not require the purchaser to exchange contracts immediately, but grant 28 days to achieve exchange of contracts from the date the buyer's solicitor is in receipt of the draft contracts and further 28 days thereafter to complete. Allowing the additional time to exchange on the property means interested parties can proceed with traditional residential finance. Upon close of a successful auction or if the vendor accepts an offer during the auction, the buyer will be required to put down a non-refundable Reservation Fee of £5,000 plus VAT which secures the transaction and takes the property off the market. The buyer will be required to sign an Acknowledgement of Reservation form to confirm acceptance of terms prior to solicitors being instructed. Copies of the Reservation form and all terms and conditions can be found in the Legal Pack which can be downloaded for free from the auction section of our website or requested from our Auction Department. Please note this property is subject to an undisclosed Reserve Price which is generally no more than 10% in excess of the Starting Bid. Both the Starting Bid and Reserve Price can be subject to change. Terms and conditions apply to the Modern Method of Auction, which is operated by The North West Property Auction powered by iam-sold Ltd or and iamsold Ltd.
For those that don't know the UK auction ropes, the so called traditional method of auction requires a 10% deposit immediately (this is applied to the sale price) and completion within a month, and typically there is no buyer's premium or VAT involved. It is not clear wether the £5000 'Reservation fee' (plus VAT at 20%) is applied to the sale price or if it is a simple cash grab by the auction organisers for the 'convenience' of having a bit more time to complete the purchase. The advert does say a buyers premium applies.
I really cannot see the usual run of auction buyers being all that happy with the Modern Auction. It would appear to add a £6000 cost to the purchase that they would not normally have to pay,, or have any need of. It will simply mean the seller gets less money and the vendor auctioneer considerably more, as I doubt if they will be dropping their usual percentage of the sale price as commission. Bidders will simply all bid £6000 under their target price.
The Seventh String

Post by The Seventh String »

I’m not sure I’d use the expression “stalling the process” here. Mental illness isn’t fun, is very real and can indeed make handling things like meetings with employers dificult to almost impossible. :-)

It can be very unpredictable, and yes, stress can exacerbate it.

Parting with an employee because, for medical or disability reasons, they can no longer do the job the business needs doing is perfectly legal and happens every day.

As far as disability discrimination goes, the burden on the employer is to show that there’s no reasonable adaptations to the job that could make the ill person able to return to work and there’s no reasonable alternative employment they can be offered. What counts as “reasonable” varies from case to case, but the employer isn’t expected to go to ridiculous lengths.

Back when I was a Unison steward I assisted quite a few people through local authority “medical retirement” procedures. Even went through them myself a few years ago when my health decided to act up on me in some very unhelpful ways. Generally things were pretty straightforward because all concerned realised that there was no sensible or even possible alternative. If the employee is a member of the occupational pension scheme and both employer and the scheme’s medical advisors agree the employee is very unlikely to ever do their job again the pension scheme may agree to commence payments early, the amount payable being based on the number of years the employee has paid into the scheme.

If the employee doesn’t co-operate with the procedures for whatever reason, then they simply end up with the employer dispensing with their services anyway.
HardyW
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by HardyW »

Not for the first time I am wondering how much fantasy speculation the Quatloos mods are prepared to allow, regarding a named living human being, her employment situation and imagined health situation. Especially as there doesn't seem to be any actual news on the case at bar.
longdog

Post by longdog »

HardyW wrote:Not for the first time I am wondering how much fantasy speculation the Quatloos mods are prepared to allow, regarding a named living human being, her employment situation and imagined health situation. Especially as there doesn't seem to be any actual news on the case at bar.
Given her public attitude towards her neighbours by name accusing them of everything from racism to corruption to the murder of Rasputin and her insistence on playing out her drama as publicly as possible I find it hard to give a toss to be quite honest.
Penny Wise
Pirate
Pirate

Post by Penny Wise »

HardyW wrote:Not for the first time I am wondering how much fantasy speculation the Quatloos mods are prepared to allow, regarding a named living human being, her employment situation and imagined health situation. Especially as there doesn't seem to be any actual news on the case at bar.
The actual news is quite clear given the price of the property and that it will now be sold at auction as per Tom Crawford. She has lost the latest case and will no doubt lose most, if not all the equity resulting from the sale.

I can't see any topics in this thread about Wrecka Patel that have not been discussed on numerous occassions about other infamous persons of interest. So, I don't really understand why, they should not now be discussed and debated about Wrekha

just my personal opinion of course
Wanna balloon?
JimUk1

Post by JimUk1 »

Well you're all wrong anyway! She never had a lawful mortgage anyway according to this nutter in the comments-
Elisabeth Nolson
As the mortgage was not created with any lawful consideration it is null and void .
Yesterday at 07:23 · Like1Reply · More
ArthurWankspittle

You have a point and I would ask that posters consider this before widely speculating on specific details of an individuals health condition. It is better talk in general about the situations that have arisen and are being discussed and not to attribute specifics to individuals.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
The Seventh String

AndyPandy wrote: They could come with a compromise agreement, they offer you a pay off (6 months pay usually) and the employee walks away agreeing not to take any legal action for any form of further compensation or to say anything bad about the employer.
Very, very unlikely for a public sector employer to do that, I think. There are long-standing agreements between employers and employees about things like sickness absence. It might happen if someone’s a senior member of the civil service First Division, a local authority chief executive or similar, especially if they’re leaving under a serious cloud, but for mere mortals who are ill, not so much.
The Seventh String

Burnaby49 wrote: What dystopian nightmare of personal freedoms do you live in? In Canada, and probably the UK and America, teachers have no discretion about paying union dues. It's a mandatory deduction from their pay cheques before they get to see their money. I was a federal income tax auditor and a union member for my 35 year career. Not by choice but by law.
Trades union “closed shop” agreements have been illegal in the UK for over 30 years. And when they were legal most jobs weren’t covered by them anyway.
The Seventh String

I wonder.

The thackstones whose absence started this ball rolling so long ago.

Will the purchaser of the property be expected to replace them? And I seem to recall that photographs of the property show that the current roof level is below that of the original roof. Will the purchaser have to restore the roof to the original height so the stones can be replaced correctly?

Might knock quite a lot off the property value if so,
ArthurWankspittle

Siegfried Shrink wrote:For those that don't know the UK auction ropes, the so called traditional method of auction requires a 10% deposit immediately (this is applied to the sale price) and completion within a month, and typically there is no buyer's premium or VAT involved. It is not clear wether the £5000 'Reservation fee' (plus VAT at 20%) is applied to the sale price or if it is a simple cash grab by the auction organisers for the 'convenience' of having a bit more time to complete the purchase. The advert does say a buyers premium applies.
I really cannot see the usual run of auction buyers being all that happy with the Modern Auction. It would appear to add a £6000 cost to the purchase that they would not normally have to pay,, or have any need of. It will simply mean the seller gets less money and the vendor auctioneer considerably more, as I doubt if they will be dropping their usual percentage of the sale price as commission. Bidders will simply all bid £6000 under their target price.
In a traditional auction the fall of the hammer is exchange of contracts. This system is setting a longer timescale to allow for buyers to arrange mortgages. I think from what I could see, there is no seller's fee incurred in the auction, the agent's money comes from the reservation fees and the buyer's fee. Which just means, as was said, that buyers will not pay as much as they would in other buying scenarios.

The interesting part of this sale is this: *** FOR SALE BY THE MODERN METHOD OF AUCTION - STARTING BID£125,000 - BUYER'S PREMIUM APPLIES ***
The price on Rightmove is £135k. Which would leave you to suspect the reserve is between £135k and say £150k. A big drop from £225k asking price a few months back.