EVICTION Looming - Noel Kennedy

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

JimUk1
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: EVICTION Looming - Noel Kennedy

Post by JimUk1 »

From Noel's own admission, he went backpacking Europe, which isn't cheap.

Anothet FMOTL with no thought for priorities.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

When i was in high school in the 60s, i knew some fellow students who would refurbish junkers, but just one at a time. It was a good gig for a teenager, helped them develop skills and give the cars a few more years of life.

Back then, that is.

With all the complexity that goes into cars now, i wonder if one person without certification or special equipment could do an adequate job of making one reliable.

Could someone more knowledgeable than me comment on this?
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

grixit wrote:When i was in high school in the 60s, i knew some fellow students who would refurbish junkers, but just one at a time. It was a good gig for a teenager, helped them develop skills and give the cars a few more years of life.

Back then, that is.

With all the complexity that goes into cars now, i wonder if one person without certification or special equipment could do an adequate job of making one reliable.

It can still be done. You just have to be a bit more careful picking the cars you plan to rehabilitate.

As you point out, the complexity of today's cars makes some things difficult or impossible for the shade-tree mechanic to do himself. He would have to have those things done professionally, eating into profits. If you pick a car in which those things are in good shape, you can do the rest yourself.

For example, if a car is mechanically sound, but needs a little body work, or even rust repair, this can probably be done by a reasonably competent worker. A shabby interior can probably be replaced for less than it would add to the value of the car. If you're willing to ignore the environmental restriction, spray-painting a car can be done for a fraction of the cost of having it done professionally.
longdog

Post by longdog »

Since the advent of computer controlled engines / gearboxes / ashtrays and such like things have changed a bit but a car's still a car, a trackrod end is still a trackrod end and a propshaft is still a propshaft.

Things have changed but doing up heaps for a profit is still a viable business. Well I assume it is as one of my neighbours does it for a living anyway.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
morrand

Post by morrand »

longdog wrote:Since the advent of computer controlled engines / gearboxes / ashtrays and such like things have changed a bit but a car's still a car, a trackrod end is still a trackrod end and a propshaft is still a propshaft.
Agreed. Ultimately, a car still is just a machine for turning petrol into movement, computers or not, and big parts of that never change.

I'll go on to add this: for all the complications that a computer adds, it also gives the car a voice with which to tell you approximately what is wrong. I will happily take any car with OBD-II over my old, lamented, 1977 Chevrolet Impala with the flaky Quadrajet carburetor and leaky distributor. At least when I have a problem now, I can hook up the handheld and find it in a couple of minutes, rather than poking around in ignorance for an hour.

Motorbike computers, now, that's a different story....
---
Morrand
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

If memory serves, after about 1980 with the advent of computer control and assist in cars, unless you had the appropriate computer doing anything on most cars other than changing the oil and filling the radiator became problematic. On current vehicles it is even more so as the various computers control nearly everything. The readers you need to even tell what is wrong in some cases are considered to be proprietary and you can't even get one, in others they are so expensive it isn't reasonable to buy one. A few years ago a friend had one of the newer flashier cars and one day it just stopped dead, nothing would work. When the dealer checked it she was told that the ONLY thing wrong with the car was that the chip that actually ran it was defective and would have to be replaced, at $400, when he could get one.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
JimUk1

Post by JimUk1 »

doublelong
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by doublelong »

It now seems that Noel is now going to seek legal advice from a real solicitor. Hopefully he will post the advice he has been given. Should be interesting reading all the responses on EFOTB to the solicitors recommendations.
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

doublelong wrote:It now seems that Noel is now going to seek legal advice from a real solicitor. Hopefully he will post the advice he has been given. Should be interesting reading all the responses on EFOTB to the solicitors recommendations.
What's a real solicitor going to tell him? He has no case. He didn't pay his rent, his landlord tried to be lenient with him, and his response was to not pay his rent even more. He refused to move out when ordered to. He has admitted publicly to backpacking in Europe, and to working despite being declared unfit to work.

The experience will probably just send him deeper into the woo.
longdog

Post by longdog »

I hope the lawyer gets his fee up-front because his chance of being paid after telling the muppet he's been a complete twonk is pretty remote.
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I thought Kennedy was broke and not working???
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

I would that think Noel's case wouldn't need more than 10 minutes of free initial consultation. (Assuming that practice is common in the UK, as it is in the US.)
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

TheNewSaint wrote:I would that think Noel's case wouldn't need more than 10 minutes of free initial consultation. (Assuming that practice is common in the UK, as it is in the US.)
Or a real solicitor working for a charity or similar set up. Unless there is some technical fault with the application I can't see Noel getting anywhere - the landlord seems to have given him a chance to sort something out and all he appears to have done is gone backpacking. Without a job to go to and an eloquent defence this is over and out.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot »

He's a very active chap - not wasting the spare time at his disposal, thanks to welfare benefits. Ironic that if his FMOTL comrades had their way, nobody would pay taxes and Noel would starve. (

He was inspired by the first (successful) mob blockade at Castle Crawford
http://leftunity.org/250-people-prevent ... ottingham/

On Twitter he claims to be "Administrator for Beat the Banks and the Bailiffs"
https://twitter.com/noelkennedy3003

I think we can now confidently say that Mr Kennedy is not an innocent fool who's landed in trouble by ignorance. He's deep into the woo, he has supported and encouraged others in this madness, and his own eviction will be just desserts.
"don't be hubris ever..." Steve Mccrae, noted legal ExpertInFuckAll.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

ArthurWankspittle wrote:Or a real solicitor working for a charity or similar set up. Unless there is some technical fault with the application I can't see Noel getting anywhere - the landlord seems to have given him a chance to sort something out and all he appears to have done is gone backpacking. Without a job to go to and an eloquent defence this is over and out.
It appears to me that the landlord's not evicting him for non payment, he's evicting him because a valid notice to quit was served, bringing the tenancy to an end. (What we used to call in Scotland a no-fault ground).
Private Renting Evictions wrote:Landlords can sometimes evict tenants using ‘accelerated possession’. This is quicker than a normal eviction and doesn’t usually need a court hearing.

Your landlord can only do this if:

you have an assured shorthold tenancy or a statutory periodic tenancy
you have a written tenancy agreement
they’ve given you the required written notice (a minimum of 2 months) in the right form
they haven’t asked you to leave before the end of a fixed-term tenancy

You can only stop accelerated possession if you can prove your landlord hasn’t followed the rules listed above.
Pox

Post by Pox »

He doesn't seem to be getting much support for his plea over on ETFOTB (despite someone saying 'all you have done for others ' - what???? - what exactly has he done for others ???? - far too self centered for that ) - he is just another freeloader - sad to say, he deserves to be on the streets where, hopefully he can't scam another landlord of quite a few thousand pounds.
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

aesmith wrote:It appears to me that the landlord's not evicting him for non payment, he's evicting him because a valid notice to quit was served, bringing the tenancy to an end. (What we used to call in Scotland a no-fault ground).
Private Renting Evictions wrote:Landlords can sometimes evict tenants using ‘accelerated possession’. This is quicker than a normal eviction and doesn’t usually need a court hearing.

Your landlord can only do this if:

you have an assured shorthold tenancy or a statutory periodic tenancy
you have a written tenancy agreement
they’ve given you the required written notice (a minimum of 2 months) in the right form
they haven’t asked you to leave before the end of a fixed-term tenancy

You can only stop accelerated possession if you can prove your landlord hasn’t followed the rules listed above.
Didn't read the technicality of how the landlord was going about getting possession, but to misquote a famous court case "he would do that, wouldn't he?"
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

Pox wrote:He doesn't seem to be getting much support for his plea over on ETFOTB
He doesn't have much of a story, does he? Even from a FMOTL persepctive, what's the injustice here? Tom Crawford, Rekha Patel, and Baron David Ward were home owners to some extent, and capable of presenting their cases in a way that looked like they had paid their debts, and were being treated unfairly. There's no way to even spin Noel Kennedy's story. By his own admission, he was a renter, with 7,000 of unpaid rent, given plenty of time to leave, after being shown leniency. His shrieks of I AM BEING EVICTED UNDER FORCE seem to be ringing hollow, in a place known for embracing the hollowest of arguments.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

grixit wrote:When i was in high school in the 60s, i knew some fellow students who would refurbish junkers, but just one at a time. It was a good gig for a teenager, helped them develop skills and give the cars a few more years of life.

Back then, that is.

Umm, if you're talking about powertrain major repairs, the answer is no. I work for Ford, and I had my own performance parts business on the side, since sold. When I was working on transmissions, I had over $50,000 worth of tools for working on 1 model transmission that were basically useless for anything but working on 4R100s or as a paperweight. Model specialization and build complexity also make it harder for non-professionals to work on them. In the 2001 model year there were 34 different models of the 4R100 that were different and outwardly identical but not interchangeable.
Another problem is the increased quality has made it pretty hard to repair them to standards that the internal computer control systems will tolerate. There are things that I remember being a lot more forgiving when I was a kid (I once re-surfaced the cylinders of an engine block that was hanging from a tree with a chain, whilst I had a hone on a drill going to town, measuring it by taking one of the piston rings and putting it in and measuring the gap with a piece of metal that I didn't know how big it was, but knew if I got them all the same it would work. Doing that correctly now involves on some engines measuring the bores with laser instrumentation and differences from print of microns are enough to cause the PCM to fall back to "limp mode" and send you to the dealer for a new engine.
Cars built after 2012 with nameplates like Ford, Opal and Fiat are built to specs that in the early 90's only names like Mercedes, BMW and Porshe were doing on their high end engines. The V-6 in a USA Escape which sells for about $24,000 US is not much different from the one in the $400,000 GT, which is currently kicking Ferraris off of race tracks all over Europe.
My last consulting gig was setting up a low volume (2 transmissions a day) production facility for a company that builds performance rebuilds, they spent over half a million dollars to start up.

My day job, on the other hand, is really spending money on an industrial scale (well, it should be) and my budget for the little project I'm working on myself is $930 million in 3 buildings and 2 states, totaling over 7 million sq ft of production area. And I've been doing this through my injuries, having taken about 6 months of the last year out of work on medical leave. (did I say I'm busy?)
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
longdog

Post by longdog »

Gregg wrote:
Umm, if you're talking about powertrain major repairs, the answer is no. I work for Ford, and I had my own performance parts business on the side, since sold. When I was working on transmissions, I had over $50,000 worth of tools for working on 1 model transmission that were basically useless for anything but working on 4R100s or as a paperweight.
To be fair working on manual transmissions has always been beyond the abilities of all but the most determined and well tooled up amateur and auto-boxes doubly so. I could confidently strip and rebuild any Ford Europe engine with my eyes shut but on the rare occasions I've had trouble with a gearbox I've just swapped the duff one out for a good second-hand one.