Post by letissier14 »

Oh dear. someone is in for a shock and the advice is not helping either

I don't take sides, I read all the facts and then come to my own conclusions
TheNewSaint
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Council Tax My Arse Facbook page

Post by TheNewSaint »

I have to admire their efficiency. So many wrong tactics in so few replies.
longdog

Post by longdog »

I fear somebody is about to learn a very, very unhappy lesson but the question is at what point, if ever, will they realise that taking legal advice from the internet when you're facing jail is a monumentally stupid idea.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
mufc1959

Post by mufc1959 »

longdog wrote:I fear somebody is about to learn a very, very unhappy lesson but the question is at what point, if ever, will they realise that taking legal advice from the internet when you're facing jail is a monumentally stupid idea.
But when the advice you've been given by your MP and councillor to pay up or end up in prison isn't what you want to hear, you'll go hunting round for someone who'll reinforce your own world view. A world view that will shortly be narrowed down to a cell, from the sound of it.
Last edited by mufc1959 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Such a collection of mind numbing stupid from these legal geniuses. He is going to jail.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
rumpelstilzchen

Post by rumpelstilzchen »

Adam Brown likes a double negative.
I wouldn't pay nothing
Which means he would pay something.
They can't do nothing
Which means they must do something.
I wouldn't loose no sleep over this
I guess "loose" is "lose" which would mean he would lose some sleep over this.
He must be a paid government shill 8)
BHF wrote:
It shows your mentality to think someone would make the effort to post something on the internet that was untrue.
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

rumpelstilzchen wrote:Adam Brown likes a double negative.
I wouldn't pay nothing
Which means he would pay something.
They can't do nothing
Which means they must do something.
I wouldn't loose no sleep over this
I guess "loose" is "lose" which would mean he would lose some sleep over this.
He must be a paid government shill 8)
Thought the same thing... So he obviously would pay something and probably all to stay a free man :sarcasmon:
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Hendrix led the way in 1967 with Foxy Lady;
I want to take you home, haha yeah
I won't do you no harm no, ha
You got to be all mine, all mine
Ooh foxey lady, yeah
Foxey, foxey
Or was that a triple negative?
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
notorial dissent

Illiterate, ignorant, on top of bone stupid, what a winning combination.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot »

Excellent, hopefully she'll be jailed tomorrow and the armchair inciters can work out between them who's fault that is.
"don't be hubris ever..." Steve Mccrae, noted legal ExpertInFuckAll.
letissier14

Post by letissier14 »

And the bad advice keeps coming

I don't take sides, I read all the facts and then come to my own conclusions
rumpelstilzchen

Post by rumpelstilzchen »

So what happens when the magistrate says "No this is not an offer to contract" ?
BHF wrote:
It shows your mentality to think someone would make the effort to post something on the internet that was untrue.
JimUk1

Post by JimUk1 »

Well that's it. I'm convinced! Some guy told me on fb it's ok, so it must be :snicker:
notorial dissent

The stupid here is just staggering. Obviously the whole getting your ass slammed in jail for contempt of court thing has eluded them, or else they're like stupid old Baron Boring who thinks that the judge can't throw then in jail for contempt. They really don't have any understanding or clue about how civil court works. I don't think Gail is going to have a happy experience in court.
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

notorial dissent wrote:The stupid here is just staggering. Obviously the whole getting your ass slammed in jail for contempt of court thing has eluded them, or else they're like stupid old Baron Boring who thinks that the judge can't throw then in jail for contempt. They really don't have any understanding or clue about how civil court works. I don't think Gail is going to have a happy experience in court.
You have to be very careful about the specifics of Council Tax laws as it is one (if not the only) "civil" type offence where you can be jailed, without invoking contempt rules.
As has already been said, there is so much bad advice in those posts this isn't going to end well. Given they, apparently deliberately, haven't paid for 3 or 4 years, I think they certainly in the area of being considered for a jail sentence.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
Forsyth
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by Forsyth »

ArthurWankspittle wrote:You have to be very careful about the specifics of Council Tax laws as it is one (if not the only) "civil" type offence where you can be jailed, without invoking contempt rules.
To expand on this, you can only (I think) be jailed for wilful refusal to pay - this isn't being thrown in debtors prison because you can't pay. Entertainingly, you can (I think, again) get an exemption for council tax on your home while you're in prison, but not if you're in there for wilful refusal to pay council tax.
notorial dissent

You are quite right about the jailing for flaunting the tax laws, however, I was thinking more along the lines of them/her collecting contempt charges for their behavior on top of the rest, as they certainly seem to be heading that direction. There is certainly enough stupid to go around. I would also foresee a bankruptcy in the offing as well with the attendant legal issues that go along with it. The idea is that when you are in a hole to stop digging, not call out for more shovels.
littleFred
Stern Faced Schoolmaster of Serious Discussion

Post by littleFred »

The phrase in CT(A&E)R 1992 is "wilful refusal or culpable neglect". It could be up to three months, but is likely to be 28 days postponed to give her a final chance to pay. If she gets jail, she'll still have to pay.

Like everyone else, if she can't pay, she won't be jailed, and is stupid to have let it get this far.

So far, Gail isn't showing contempt of court (merely of the council), though others are encouraging her down that path.
doublelong
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by doublelong »

Council tax is one of the first bills people get behind with but it is also the easiest to sort out. They will accept a payment plan even if it will take a few years to pay off. If she turns up at court and point blank refuses to pay she could be sent down for a few weeks. It is a last resort though as things like dependents and losing your job is taken into consideration. I also take it that she does not own her home because with 4 years not paying I am sure they would go down the bankruptcy route.
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

littleFred wrote:The phrase in CT(A&E)R 1992 is "wilful refusal or culpable neglect".
Does membership in a Facebook group called "Council Tax My Arse" qualify as "willful refusal?"