Council Tax My Arse Facbook page

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

longdog
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Council Tax My Arse Facbook page

Post by longdog »

I don't see how a power of attorney would affect this idiot's situation in the slightest. What do they think it would achieve except some vague idea that the police would have to tell her son she was in custody which is something she would be able to do hetself.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot »

longdog wrote:I don't see how a power of attorney would affect this idiot's situation in the slightest. What do they think it would achieve except some vague idea that the police would have to tell her son she was in custody which is something she would be able to do hetself.
It wouldn't have any effect at all, unless it was the "complicated one" mentioned by aesmith. That type of PoA usually indicates that the subject has lost (or is is gradually losing) their capacity to make informed decisions in their own interests. In that situation, Police will usually recognise the subject as vulnerable and cooperate with their guardian to ensure their wellbeing. Not remotely relevant to Gail's situation.
"don't be hubris ever..." Steve Mccrae, noted legal ExpertInFuckAll.
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

aesmith wrote:Ordinary POA becomes void if the donor loses mental capacity.
That's going to be an interesting call in this situation then.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I have a feeling this very stupid and probably gullible woman doesn't really know what a power of attorney is, anymore than her enablers do.

I may be wrong, not being familiar with UK law, but I don't think having one would do a private individual any more good than someone without one in getting information from the police. As a family member they would have some rights I should think, but nothing much beyond that. I just really think she doesn't have any more clue about this than she does anything else.

I rather suspect that if son tells the police he has her POA, they will say that is nice, you can tell it to the judge at the hearing. He might be able to bail her out if the judge had allowed it, but I would suspect that on something like this they wouldn't. They usually don't let someone out who was jailed for ignoring a court order just so they can not attend another hearing. Counter productive and an object lesson for the truly dense.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

What I find amusing about all this is the belief that they can counteract EXTRAJUDICIAL KIDNAPPING!!!!1!1! with simple paperwork.
rosy

Post by rosy »

The POA might be useful for the son to contact utility suppliers and the like while his mother is in prison (assuming such services are in the mother's name), but other than that it seems a completely pointless thing.

Focusing on useless bits of paper instead of dealing with the reality of paying for the services that they use seems to be par for the course for these freeloaders, though.
letissier14

Post by letissier14 »

Update ....... with added extra stupid advice thrown in

I don't take sides, I read all the facts and then come to my own conclusions
Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot »

Newsflash for Hayley - offering payment by imaginary, ineffective means will not have that effect. In fact, it is likely to make things worse.

And for you, Marty, s26 Criminal Justice and Courts Act 2015 does not mean what you think it means.

(1) A police constable... commits an offence if he or she —
(a) exercises the powers and privileges of a constable improperly, and
(b) knows or ought to know that the exercise is improper

It is perfectly lawful for a constable to arrest a person who is subject to an arrest warrant, it is in fact a required part of a constable's duties. It is not improper, and it does not breach s26 for them to do so.
"don't be hubris ever..." Steve Mccrae, noted legal ExpertInFuckAll.
AndyPandy

Post by AndyPandy »

letissier14 wrote:Update ....... with added extra stupid advice thrown in

How the hell can you live your life like this and put your children through it as well.

Does she honestly think a locked door is going to slow them down at 6am when they kick it in !
mufc1959

Post by mufc1959 »

AndyPandy wrote:
How the hell can you live your life like this and put your children through it as well.

Does she honestly think a locked door is going to slow them down at 6am when they kick it in !
That's the thing about these 'freemen' - the way of living they adopt leaves them anything but free. Imagine living your life in fear, unable to answer a knock at the door, scared of what the postman delivers, worrying every time you leave the house that you might not come back that night because you're in a police cell, having to hide your car so it doesn't get seized, terrified your earnings will be garnished and your employer finds out you're in debt, unable to buy nice things for yourself and your family because the stupid decisions you've made have left your credit well and truly fucked, losing access to financial services, jeopardising home, car, job ...

I am glad to say that I now live for free in my house - because I've worked hard and paid off the mortgage. I bought my last car for cash, I have lovely holidays and I feel very fortunate to be in this position, coming from a two-up, two-down with an outside toilet and a single coal fire in the living room. I know there are people who work their arses off doing dirty jobs for peanuts, and they have my utmost admiration. There are also people who, through no fault of their own, are having to survive on benefits, and I can't imagine how hard that is. But I detest freeloaders.

I don't begrudge paying to make sure that I have gas, electricity and water on tap (see what I did there ...) and even though the council tax is more than I'd prefer, I don't see how else the services could be funded. I've rarely claimed on my car insurance (and only then when someone's hit my car when it was parked up), but I understand the need to be insured. What if I caused someone a life-changing injury in a car accident and I had no insurance? I'd lose everything.

But the mindset of the average FOTL seems to focus on short-term gain with no insight into the long-term consequences of trying to get everything for free - either on society as a whole (where we all end up paying more because they want to pay nothing) or the personal consequences for them and their families.