Muhammed Katib declares himself dead to avoid VAT penalty

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Muhammed Katib declares himself dead to avoid VAT penalty

Post by Burnaby49 »

Perhaps the title is inaccurate, I'm not sure if he said he'd died or not but his adviser told him that claiming to be dead was the way to go to get out of VAT responsibilities. You get just a hint of it here;

https://www.taxation.co.uk/Articles/201 ... -case-debt

So I went to the source, the decision;

http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKFTT/TC ... 06149.html
11. Mr Bridger's advice included that the Appellant should cease to be a man by making a declaration to that effect to enable Mr Bridger to communicate to the world that the Appellant was dead, that there was plenty of time to deal with an enforcement notice as the Bills of Exchange Act governed the counting of the time limit to do so, that the Appellant erect a poster in his home denying access to all persons which was intended to prevent access by officials/bailiffs to avoid loss of personal assets. Mr Bridger refers to himself as "Master Bridger".
You learns something new every day. I learned that if you retain an adviser to represent you at a court hearing in Britain he can't tell you what's going on because it's confidential. Makes sense when you think about it. How can you run a case if you let your client barge in any old time with distracting questions about his own affairs? Before you know it they'll be demanding to be told if they've won or lost!
9. Mr Bridger had assured the Appellant on numerous occasions that he was experienced in handling tax matters of this nature, had secured excellent outcomes for clients and that everything was in hand. Mr Bridger had declined to give the Appellant copies of his correspondence with HMRC on the ground of confidentiality. As the Appellant had no experience of such matters he was totally reliant on Mr Bridger and was unable to judge whether Mr Bridger was not competent. Mr Bridger failed to appeal on the appellant's behalf against any of the notices of assessment of VAT or penalties against MDM or the personal penalty notices served on the Appellant. The Appellant became aware of the dire situation when he received a letter from the official receiver and there was a threat of bailiffs attending his home.
The enewsletter article said;
The judge concluded that Mr Bridger was ‘on a frolic on his own ...
But I don't see that quote in the decision.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Re: Muhammed Katib declares himself dead to avoid VAT penalty

Post by notorial dissent »

So are we to infer from this that Mr Bridger is/was a solicitor/lawyer, or just some LARPER? Definitely a sort of different approach though.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

I think i'd like to see Master Bridger walk across his construction before suggesting that anyone else do so.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Siegfried Shrink
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Siegfried Shrink »

The quote is in the decision, I have just read all of it and noticed this as what passes for levity in the legal system. Some of m'learned friends jokes border on the impenerable, this comment was merely a tad lighthearted.

I am puzzled as to how someone can run up a VAT bill for half a million on one trade (see the 'backgrounnd') with a company that appears to have had negligable assets started by someone of modest means. Assuming they should have charged and remitted VAT at 20% this indicates a four million pound deal. It seems payment for this material was done through a Hungarian bank from which there are no records to justify an input VAT element that might have been expected to counnterbalance to a large extent the sales VAT liability. Where did the millions come from to fund all this and what do they think about it all now? Was Mr.Katib just something of a patsy set up by others?

The appeal out of time and the antics of Mr Bridger are mildly interesting, but I think just how the appellant managed to get into the enormous debt in the first place would be more interesting.
exiledscouser

Post by exiledscouser »

Declaring yourself dead for tax purposes was tried by the fictional rock star Hotblack Desiato. To enable this he was hooked up to a “death support system”.

Hotblack’s group “Disaster Area” claimed to be the loudest band in the universe.

RIP Douglas Adams.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

The appeal out of time and the antics of Mr Bridger are mildly interesting, but I think just how the appellant managed to get into the enormous debt in the first place would be more interesting.
An explanation may come out in the appeal hearing.

I missed the quip in reading through the decision. I wasn't interested enough to go through it in more detail. We have a VAT equivalent called GST (Goods and Services Tax). While I follow Canadian income tax evasion cases closely I pay little attention to GST fraud.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

Wakeman52

Post by Wakeman52 »

exiledscouser wrote:Declaring yourself dead for tax purposes was tried by the fictional rock star Hotblack Desiato. To enable this he was hooked up to a “death support system”.

Hotblack’s group “Disaster Area” claimed to be the loudest band in the universe.

RIP Douglas Adams.
Wasn't Mr D their manager?
Our future is like that of the passengers on a small pleasure boat sailing quietly above the Niagara Falls, not knowing that the engines are about to fail. James Lovelock.
The Seventh String

Post by The Seventh String »

I suspect this might just be the Mr Bridger in question.

https://plus.google.com/+mikebridger_So ... Associates

That page is full of multiple repeat posts ranging from social stuff to how he helps “friends” and "clients" avoid ever having to pay driving penalties, taxes.... Amongst the tedium are posts where he refers to the Magistrate's Court as "the maggot's circus" and hints that he can make sure you never have to pay a fine, while paying taxes is "voluntary". He seems to do a lot of teaching seminars....

If someone's looking for a professional representative in legal or tax matters, his own words make me suspect he might not be an entirely wise choice.

There is another company by the name of Sovereign Associates, who trade as Sovereign Accountants. They operate from Borehamwood, Mr Bridger from Watford. I'd be astonished if they are in any way connected.
notorial dissent

So is he actually a solicitor looking to get struck off, or just another LARPer?
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot »

notorial dissent wrote:So are we to infer from this that Mr Bridger is/was a solicitor/lawyer, or just some LARPER? Definitely a sort of different approach though.
Mike Bridger appears to be the principal of Sovereign Associates (the clue's in the name). https://www.linkedin.com/in/sovereign-a ... -b74005b9/

Very much a fellow-traveller to the ExpertInFuckAll, and styles himself "Master Mike" on another LinkedIn page -
With more than twenty years as an electronics technician behind him, Mike's core skillset is problem solving. After eighteen years in retail/direct sales and business to business (B2B) sales, Mike has been described as a solutions provider. Since 2010 Mike's primary focus has been on the equitable settling of accounts between creditors & debtors. Sometimes this may be achieved without the use of cash.

In the small things, We have cancelled speeding and parking tickets, court orders, liability orders, debt collectors and bailiffs.

In the mid-range, We cancel credit card debts, bank overdrafts and loans.

For the brave We can cancel (or discharge the liability for) income tax, business rates and VAT registration.

On the books We have:
1. The discharge of a bailiff's demand for £925 by a signature.
2. A court demanded nearly £4,000 which We set aside by an administrative process.
3. An enforcement agent (formerly known as bailiffs) stopped with a 'phone call.
4. An income tax demand reduced by £187,000 from £216,000 to £29,000 with two 'phone calls.
5. Six current engagements with HMRC. These clients will not pay income tax.
6. And a VAT penalty of £1.6M.

Through 2013 and early 2014 We presented seminars in which We showed folk how they may do the same. Now We have been invited to create a Masterclass so that We may teach others to duplicate what We do. Perhaps something like a franchise.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/master-mike-50373175/
He appears to be a delusional sovcit FMOTL type, full of his own awesome imaginary powers -
Watcha Gonna Do About It? Watcha Gonna Do? (ref 10 cc)

In recent days We have enjoyed a couple of court-related successes. In the final analysis, We have determined that it is all just a game of Poker and s/he with the biggest heart wins. Legal Shmeagle is just as so much hocus pocus and all We (and they) need to know is: "You can't do that to me!"

Case 1: During the Summer of 2011 and in a growing list of multiple allegations of speeding this man set aside four summons to go to the circus. We were:

1. Too busy or
2. Conducting a job interview or
3. On holiday
4. Visiting the sick.

After two months of silence We stuck a stick in the hornets' nest. A 'phone call. To the local magistrates' court:

Why have you stopped writing to me? After all this time, do you no longer love me? After all we have been through together, are we now not friends? Have I said or done something to upset or insult you? Please talk to me. I'm lonely. I miss you.

Silence.

A few days later there was a torrent of knocks on the door. At 4.45. a.m. Two cops. We sent them away. They returned at 10 a.m. the following day. They did not know that three of their colleagues had visited at 9 a.m. (sans warrant) and threatened to break down the door. Here are the bullet points:

1. In interview at the police station We did not answer questions. When requested We signed the paperwork:"Vi coactus" and just for clarity added: "under protest under duress"

A 'court' uttered fines of nearly £4K with alternatives of three months in prison or seizure of goods. in Feb 2012. Now nearly 5 years later, We see: Fines not paid, Man not gaoled and Property not seized. AND We compelled the court to pay for Our transport HOME!!!

Case 2: In 2012 HMRC levied a VAT penalty of £1,6M on a business woman. She imported/exported metals. After a bankruptcy hearing. After she had spent £££000's on legal fees. After the appeal started, a mutual friend made the introduction. In July 2014. Subsequently, We prevented the legal process of the appeal. Then started another. And prevented the legal process of the second appeal . Over the following years, this man (not the accused) attended the Royal Courts of Justus (RCJ). After the bankruptcy had been spoken We find:

1. Bankruptcy NOT enacted (not yet published in The London Gazette) and
2. Original VAT penalty reduced by 50% to £800,000 and
3. At a visit to the offices of the Official Receiver in London last week, the client took control of the interview and (when she was ready) SHE terminated it.

Case 3: Today, just finished a chat with a chap who in Sep 2014 at a crown court was found guilty of handling stolen goods. In Spring 2016 We were invited to assist in two further allegations of handling stolen goods. We dismissed the barrister, withdrew the plea of not guilty and substituted a response of No Case To Answer. The prosecution re-jigged the allegations to include an accusation of Fraud and the case was re-scheduled to be heard in Dec 2016. Now in Jan 2017 with no listing for the accused through ALL of December and with no prospect of a hearing in Jan, We suspect that these cases (like so much detritus) will float by amongst the flotsam and jetsam on the seas of commerce. Next we plan to have the Sep 2014 judgement nullified.

HA!!!

Whilst We have utmost respect & admiration for friends who have spent thousands of hours in study of the legal system, We find that the whole protocol is: Abhorrent Obnoxious & Toxic.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/watcha-g ... aster-mike
Let's Go To The Circus.

Our preferred position is: "Never go to the circus*." However, over the years We have advised some clients and/or students to visit the maggots'** circus as part of their education/training. One man who never missed a training session over twelve months (2014-2015), took to visiting his local circus on a regular basis. When questioned by their staff, he replied that he was a student of LAW (not legislation). They took him in as one of their own and on several occasions, after they had meted out their "justice" to some poor person he then saw the maggots laughing and joking at the misfortune of the latest victim. That man now works in the Courts of Chancery and a barrister has asked if he (the barrister) may work for this self-trained man.

Today in a Kentish town We were at the circus. It was a preliminary hearing where the accused was to make himself known to the 'court' and submit a plea.There were three points of order. A certain MISTER had been summonsed. A master attended. When asked if he was to plead "Guilty or Not Guilty", he offered "No case to answer." And there was a McKenzie friend. As the matter progressed, The counsel opposite declared that they would only call one witness. We almost laughed out loud because in Deuteronomy Chapter 19 verse 16 it is written:

"...One witness is not enough to convict anyone accused of any crime or offense they may have committed. A matter must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses...."

We saw this in several TV licensing cases 10-15 years ago. Where it is the word of one against the word of another, no conviction may be established. Five years ago We used this in a conversation with a PCSO who had accused this man of using a mobile 'phone whilst driving. The PCSO walked away with no offense recorded.

However, a little research today showed Us the following:

"...The general rule, in both civil and criminal cases, is that any judgment [sic judgement] or conviction may be based on the uncorroborated evidence of a single witness, or on uncorroborated evidence of any other kind. ..."

Details at: http://www.inbrief.co.uk/court-proceedi ... oboration/

A date has been set for a Wednesday in December when We may use either:

1. Nemo judex in causa sua. See page 89 of http://bbc.in/2dHwKg3
Or:
2. Deuteronomy Chapter 19 verse 16.
Or:
3. "Show the power of attorney by which you (the maggot) have been authorised to deal with this matter."
Or:
4. When the MISTER is called for, We could just offer the birth certificate (BC). Nearly two years ago, another friend did this, He reported that when the BC was presented, the judge RAN from the room! WOW!!!

We really do have too much fun and We shall enjoy taking another friend on a journey of discovery in which he will grow as a man.

*magistrates' court
**magistrates

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/lets-go- ... ster-mike/
I think Mr Bridger deserves further interest.
"don't be hubris ever..." Steve Mccrae, noted legal ExpertInFuckAll.
notorial dissent

So, another LARPer.
Siegfried Shrink

Hercule Parrot wrote:

I think Mr Bridger deserves further interest.
I agree. His account of 'a VAT case invoolving metals' is far different from the original law report that started this thread and somehow I would not be entirely surprised if all the other nonsense was as distorted or fabricated.

How do these people stay out of prison or the civil courts?
exiledscouser

Post by exiledscouser »

Either his clients go to prison or court. He’s just the mouthpiece who’s never at risk.

But in all honesty there is a strong aroma of first grade bullshit about all of this. I never trust an individual who refers to himself as “we”.

I call fantasist on Mr B who sounds suspiciously like our old friend Assassin in his sheer brilliance and accomplishments before the courts.

I don’t believe a word he writes.
Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot »

exiledscouser wrote:I call fantasist on Mr B who sounds suspiciously like our old friend Assassin in his sheer brilliance and accomplishments before the courts.

I don’t believe a word he writes.
Yes, a Walter Mitty type. He often refers to "our offices in Watford" and his many business & legal achievements, but there is no evidence of any of it actually happening. And the preening, grandiose style is very like Asinine, you are right.

If Mr Katib really paid Bridger £500pm to manage his finances, then Mr Katib is a naive fool. My personal suspicion is that Mr Katib's international metal trading was a front for VAT carousel fraud or something similar, so perhaps he didn't have options for reputable, professional accountancy.
"don't be hubris ever..." Steve Mccrae, noted legal ExpertInFuckAll.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

If Mr Katib really paid Bridger £500pm to manage his finances, then Mr Katib is a naive fool. My personal suspicion is that Mr Katib's international metal trading was a front for VAT carousel fraud or something similar, so perhaps he didn't have options for reputable, professional accountancy.
I know nothing about your VAT laws however even without specific knowledge the huge penalty assessed against an almost impecunious scrap metal dealer indicates that that there is something else going on apart from just a VAT dispute with a metal working business. The backstory may come out in the appeal.

Siegfried Shrink

Carrusel fraud was my first thought, from the sketchy details in the original appeal transcript.

Mr Bridger may have been explictly chosen for his uselessness, while the actual beneficiaries get further away. With the handsome profit.
Someone vain enough to think themselves clever is no real opponent for people that actually are clever when a patsy is required.
I wonder if the relatively high profile of Mr.Bridger's incompetence in the VAT matter would have led to other investigations. If I were involved in HMRC I'd be checking a few books about now.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

What is "carousel fraud"? We have extensive GST fraud with fake businesses claiming GST rebates on GST they never paid. I assume that carousel fraud is similar.

Siegfried Shrink

More or less, essentially lots of paper transaction calculated to give the traders claimable input VAT, while never actually paying output VAT, thus building up a huge liabilty.

It used to be a lot bigger than it seems to be today, either that or the perpetrators get away undetected.
Mike_p
Cannoneer
Cannoneer

Post by Mike_p »

Hmm.... Seems the original case was built on HMRC making assessments based on turnover.
Could it be that some dimwit at HMRC saw a figure of 4,000,000 held in the hungarian bank account and assumed that was euros? (Actually 4,000,000 Hungarian forints = about £11,000 ).
Then MK panics and gets introduced to Bridger - who apparently comes into the picture on the day after the first large tax assessment.
Bridger then, not bothering to question the assessment ('cos he's got no idea of what he's doing), starts playing the FMOTL style games?
Siegfried Shrink

Complicated VAT fraud is a nightmare to put before a jury. It is as if the prosecution have to explain the significance of the Higgs boson to a dozen shop assitants while an equally persuasive team argue it does not exist. All over a period of weeks.

Even when there is nothing to hide, cases involving VAT can cost millions.

I cannot track down a figure instantly but the Jaffa Cake case was reputed to have cost millions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaffa_Cakes