Muhammed Katib declares himself dead to avoid VAT penalty

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

Siegfried Shrink
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Muhammed Katib declares himself dead to avoid VAT penalty

Post by Siegfried Shrink »

Could it be that some dimwit at HMRC saw a figure of 4,000,000 held in the hungarian bank account and assumed that was euros?
There is mention of the Hungarian acount being closed with no records available.
There is mention of HMRC not having used treaty powers to obtain the information the bank would still be holding.

Who knows?
Mike_p
Cannoneer
Cannoneer

Post by Mike_p »

Siegfried Shrink wrote:There is mention of the Hungarian acount being closed with no records available.
There is mention of HMRC not having used treaty powers to obtain the information the bank would still be holding.

Who knows?
Based on lack of returns and a company that had miniscule turnover, how would HMRC assume a turnover that would justify a £150k vat demand?

I'm actually following up on previous posts that speculated on how the business suddenly had such a large t/o. My premise is that maybe it didn't.
Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot »

Burnaby49 wrote:What is "carousel fraud"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_t ... usel_fraud
"don't be hubris ever..." Steve Mccrae, noted legal ExpertInFuckAll.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Hercule Parrot wrote:
Burnaby49 wrote:What is "carousel fraud"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_t ... usel_fraud
Very similar, or the same, to what goes on here. Except the ones that make the newspapers don't involve any business at all. They are all paperwork fakes.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
longdog

Post by longdog »

I did wonder if a company I worked for was a VAT fiddle but from the links it seems not as it had been running for years. I was the 'manager' of five 'workers' none of who (including me) ever really did anything. The guy above me turned up every Friday with our wage packets, picked up the week's post and pissed off again. Tax fiddle? Money laundering? I thought it best not to ask and in the end I left because I just couldn't stand the boredom even if was well paid boredom.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
The Seventh String

Post by The Seventh String »

notorial dissent wrote:So is he actually a solicitor looking to get struck off, or just another LARPer?
A quick search of the Solicitor’s Regulation Authority website for Michael Bridger, Mike Bridger and Sovereign Associates finds no hits on any of those names.
The Seventh String

Post by The Seventh String »

Mike_p wrote: Based on lack of returns and a company that had miniscule turnover, how would HMRC assume a turnover that would justify a £150k vat demand?
It’s one way they sometimes use to get the attention of people whose filed tax return doesn’t look very plausible, or people they have serious doubts about or who don’t/won’t communicate with them.

Send a big tax bill, wait for the howl of outrage from the taxpayer, then suggest that to sort things out the taxpayer needs to visit their offices for a chat. And to bring their company books and bank statements with them.

And if the taxpayer doesn’t show up proceed with collection.