Steve Ogier - King of Everland

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

D-C
Scalawag
Scalawag

Steve Ogier - King of Everland

Post by D-C »

Everland cannot be considered a state because it does not have a population, Deputy Bailiff Richard McMahon said yesterday, rejecting arguments that earthworms and insects living there meant it did.

Mr McMahon was sitting in the Ordinary Division of the Royal Court to hear an application from the Development & Planning Authority for an injunction against Steve Ogier.

Mr Ogier owns an area of land off Ruette du Frocq and earlier this year he said this was to be known as Everland, and he declared it to be independent and that he was its king.

He wants to build a home for himself on the site and cannot because of planning laws.

Three compliance notices have been issued by Planning since then telling him to stop his activities. These related to excavation work, a dry stone wall and a timber shed.

In court, Mr Ogier argued that under the terms of the Montevideo Convention of 1933 concerning the rights and duties of states, Everland was an independent state and as such he did not recognise the Guernsey court’s jurisdiction.

He argued that even though nobody lived on the land, it could be considered to have a population as a result of the wildlife there, such as insects and earthworms.

After hearing Mr Ogier’s arguments, Mr McMahon retired and on his return said that based on the material he had looked at, he had reached the conclusion that Everland was not a sovereign state, nor a ‘micro nation’.

The Montevideo Convention referred to a state having a population that was a stable community, which was not the case with Everland.

‘Although there maybe an element of absurdity in the way the argument has been developed by Mr Ogier, I take the view that any challenge to the jurisdiction of this court must be taken seriously,’ said Mr McMahon.

Advocate Robin Gist, representing the DPA, moved ahead with his application for an injunction.

He said its purpose was to prevent Mr Ogier doing any more work and it was borne out of concerns that he might start again at any time.

However, Mr Ogier said that he was prepared to make a formal undertaking not to proceed with any development on the land. ‘I don’t intend to do any more work until I can prove I am an independent country,’ he said.

Mr McMahon told Mr Ogier that if he breached that undertaking he would be at risk of going to prison.

Advocate Gist said the DPA would accept this undertaking.

Mr Ogier, who gave his address for service as Teran, Robergerie Road, St Sampson’s, asked the court if he could apply to have the compliance notices set aside.

But Mr McMahon said that this would be a matter for a planning appeal

https://guernseypress.com/news/2018/10 ... ht-to-un/
TheNewSaint
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Steve Ogier - King of Everland

Post by TheNewSaint »

Ruette du Frocq would be a great Discworld villain.

For that matter, so would King of Everland.
longdog

Post by longdog »

Sounds more like a soft cheese to me.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
The Seventh String

Post by The Seventh String »

On a purely pedantic note, this thread is in the wrong place. Guernsey is not part of the UK, but a Crown Dependency, part of the Queen’s personal feudal holdings. The British monarch also being also the Duke of Normandy since 1066. Then again, there’s no better place available for it.

So for Mr Ogier to have his independant statelet HM would have to agree to cede part of her hereditary fief to him. Somehow, I doubt this is likely.

And fortunately for Mr Ogier, Guernsey abolished the death penalty for high treason in 2003.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

But the UK could declare war, invade and he might assume room temperature while defending his country.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
rosy

Post by rosy »

I would very much like to observe him arguing that earthworms are people too. It's a similar but opposing argument to the freeloaders on the land's argument that people are fictional strawmen or corporations, and I can imagine that a blending of the two arguments could be thoroughly entertaining. :haha: :haha: :haha:
Tevildo
Pirate
Pirate

Post by Tevildo »

TheNewSaint wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:51 pm For that matter, so would King of Everland.
Hmm - I think it would be better as a 25-minute track by Yes or ELP or someone of that ilk.
MaritalArtist
First Mate
First Mate

Post by MaritalArtist »

Tevildo wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:53 pm
TheNewSaint wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:51 pm For that matter, so would King of Everland.
Hmm - I think it would be better as a 25-minute track by Yes or ELP or someone of that ilk.
In The Court Of The Everland King?
That's right, The Mascara Snake, fast and bulbous! Also, a tin teardrop!
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

MaritalArtist wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:00 pm
Tevildo wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:53 pm
In The Court Of The Everland King?
Currently 2/3 off. (Tasteless joke nicked from somewhere else on the internet months back.)
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self