Jon Paterson, Man of the People

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

SpearGrass
Pirate
Pirate

Re: Jon Paterson, Man of the People

Post by SpearGrass »

"Re: venue" usually means, to decide the location of the trial. There are a couple of reasons I can think of why this might be necessary: a) because everything is more difficult with covid, b) because the charges originated in two different magistrates' courts in different counties, and I think circuits, so where it's to be tried isn't a simple issue. And I suppose if he has competent lawyers, they might be pondering whether to apply to have the counts severed, so that they're tried separately.
Or it could be something else entirely and someone in the Crown Court office has shoehorned it into an existing Xhibit category.
AnOwlCalledSage
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

SpearGrass wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:35 pm And I suppose if he has competent lawyers, they might be pondering whether to apply to have the counts severed, so that they're tried separately.
Cheers.

The two cases are very closely linked. Probably shouldn't say any more pre-trial.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
AnOwlCalledSage

I've not heard celebratory noises from the usual suspects so I assume he's still inside, but without making a prejudicial comment about guilt or otherwise, I'd have though a habeus corpus hearing would been more reasonable for someone held for over a year on remand.
For Application to Extend Custody Time Limit - Case Started 09/03/2021 14:44
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Would a habeus corpus be brought by the defendant only? Or is it easier for the Crown to use this mechanism to ask for an extension?
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
AnOwlCalledSage

My understanding is that habeus corpus is brought by the defendant and is 'why the F am I still in jail?" (Yes, I know it's slightly more than that, but that's a basic explanation.)

What that hearing was was a request by the state to extend his detention because he is well over the 182 day limit for remand and it has to be approved by a judge.

Regardless of whatever someone has been charged with, my liberal sensibilities think it is outrageous for someone to be held for over a year without a trial. There is no right to a speedy trial in England and Wales other than by use of the Human Rights Act.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... for-trials
exiledscouser

Post by exiledscouser »

I agree 12 months is far too long to wait to be brought to trial. I think he now has a date in April so not too far off but it’s been quite a stay. During his spell on remand I recall that J of the family P spent some time visiting friends down on the Funny Farm so I wonder whether this counts towards the total time in custody?

All of that time will count towards and come off whatever sentence he receives - assuming he’s found guilty. I have yet to see a copy of the indictment which is curious, the colon gang are usually quick to publish them on the sides of their outrage bus. I doubt JP will want to plead and deprive himself of the chance to grandstand his views.

Speaking of guilty pleas another of the Wilfred Wong Satanic kidnap crew threw in the towel recently so that just leaves a small hard-core to bat things out. They too have been isolating at her Majesty’s Pleasure throughout COVID so a trial date should be along soon. Given that the majority have copped a plea you’d wonder what defence is going to be run.
AnOwlCalledSage

exiledscouser wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:44 pm During his spell on remand I recall that J of the family P spent some time visiting friends down on the Funny Farm so I wonder whether this counts towards the total time in custody?
Yes it does.
exiledscouser wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:44 pm All of that time will count towards and come off whatever sentence he receives - assuming he’s found guilty. I have yet to see a copy of the indictment which is curious, the colon gang are usually quick to publish them on the sides of their outrage bus.
I have made two attempts to call the courts to get an official version, but they wouldn't give them to me (in contravention of MoJ guidelines but I wasn't going to argue with a civil servant). Andy Devine was indeed quick to publish the charges and his continued rantings were (how can I phrase it?) "not helpful". There are two cases. One by the Met and another brought by East Sussex. They have been merged. We're pretty safe as long as we don't indicate whether we believe that he is guilty or innocent or speculating beyond known facts, so I'll refrain from commenting.

Via Andy Devine (15th Nov 2019):
2 charges of stalking. 1 charge of harassment. 1 charge of sending a harassing letter. 1 charge of sending an indecent image. 1 charge of resisting arrest.
longdog

Post by longdog »

Given his general attitude and shall we say "questionable" sanity I wonder if he has made any real effort to get released from remand to be honest.

Perhaps he's happy where he is.

There's always of course the question in any remand case, when the defendant knows he's going to be convicted anyway regardless of plea, of whether it's simpler and easier to get the sentence out of the way before hand. If I was on remand and "bang to rights" as they say I would probably just sit tight if I thought my chances of conviction were 90% or more. Life as a remand prisoner is better than as a convicted prisoner if not by much.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

longdog wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:27 pm Given his general attitude and shall we say "questionable" sanity I wonder if he has made any real effort to get released from remand to be honest.

Perhaps he's happy where he is.

There's always of course the question in any remand case, when the defendant knows he's going to be convicted anyway regardless of plea, of whether it's simpler and easier to get the sentence out of the way before hand. If I was on remand and "bang to rights" as they say I would probably just sit tight if I thought my chances of conviction were 90% or more. Life as a remand prisoner is better than as a convicted prisoner if not by much.
Canadian defendants who are fairly certain they will be convicted are sometimes in no rush to get out of remand to trial because courts usually give credit at double the time served in remand. That's because remand in Canada is generally worse than regular jail.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Pretty sure here it varies by jurisdiction but the ones that I've been familiar with the last thing you'd want is to be held before trial. You might very well get credit for time served, which you do, but if you're in waiting for trial you get stuck in a crappy County detention center. After you're convicted you may go to a State prison which generally have nicer commissary and whatnot. In Kentucky I was told that if you have a less than 1 year sentence or awaiting trial you stay in the local jail. After conviction for a longer than 1 year sentence you can get transferred to a State prison, where you can actually get rec time and buy things like TVs for your cell. The County centers tend to be much older, less maintained and very overcrowded. Same thing in Maryland unless things have drastically changed. If you're waiting trial here you were thrown in genpop with the short timers, which could be 60 people in a block meant for 30 if not worse. The only prisons people wouldn't care if they had to stay would be Federal and even then some of them you wouldn't want to be in at all.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
AnOwlCalledSage

It's not cushy but remand is better than prison for many things, and you get a 1 to 1 trade off in time served.

* Access to facilities to seek release on bail and to prepare for trial.
* The right to preserve their home and job, for example, to be able to make arrangements in case they should be convicted.
* The right to maintain contact with family and friends.

And more specifically:

* Allowed to wear own clothes
* Entitled to vote
* Can retain extra private cash
* Can undertake reasonable activity to maintain business interests
* Can be treated by own doctor and dentist (although this rarely happens in practice)
* Entitled to a minimum of 90 minutes visiting per week (normal is 60)
* Retain entitlement to state benefits such as Incapacity Benefit and Retirement Pension, which are payable in arrears unless a defendant receives a custodial sentence.
* Retain entitlement to state assistance and help with mortgage interest. Entitled to claim Housing Benefit for up to 52 weeks (although I suspect that might be varied if you are being held longer than the lawful period)
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:28 am It's not cushy but remand is better than prison for many things, and you get a 1 to 1 trade off in time served.
Yeah, definitely a lot different from here. That sounds more like Lorton than a normal jail or prison.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
exiledscouser

Post by exiledscouser »

So after a now quite lengthy period on remand JP will finally face the music at Portsmouth Crown Court on the 26th April. According that is to Andrew “clown” Devine at least.

Expect the gallery to be packed with at least two supporters who I suspect will be surreptitiously filming proceedings or doing “lives” outside on the pavement.
CrankyBoomer
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by CrankyBoomer »

A bit off-topic but I'd heard (not that I follow him avidly) that the geezer from Brighton, Mr X or something, had said that the "Babs" who averred that the H---stead hoax was real had killed herself with an overdose. I wouldn't wish anyone dead before their time. I don't know if it's true or not.
AnOwlCalledSage

CrankyBoomer wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:09 pm A bit off-topic but I'd heard (not that I follow him avidly) that the geezer from Brighton, Mr X or something, had said that the "Babs" who averred that the H---stead hoax was real had killed herself with an overdose. I wouldn't wish anyone dead before their time. I don't know if it's true or not.
Not heard anything about Barbara Collier, but I wouldn't trust Matt Taylor to tie his own shoelaces let alone provide accurate information.
AnOwlCalledSage

From our favourite equity lawyer.
PRIORITY CASE NOTICE + CONTEMPT AND TERRORISM PENALTY WARNING to the Investigators, Prosecutors, Defenders and Law Court Judges that the Harassment Framing Fraud 2019 0860 + 0861 is a Remedy Process Case. It got Criminal Conspiracy Proof for the Citizen, Parliament and Crown against the State and Law Courts. Hearsay Evidence raises Reasonable Suspicions of Trial Fraud Blackmail against Citizen Mr Paterson to get a False Guilty Plea at the 2019 0160 + 0861 Trial at Guildford Crown Court on Monday 26th April 2021.
Is JP going to plead guilty? :shock: Surely this would be a breach of client/fake lawyer confidentiality?

EWE seems convinced that this is at Guildford, so maybe the Portsmouth CLC rallying cry is for another FotLer. Portsmouth is more Dean Renshaw's habitude. I guess we won't know until the lists are published on Courtserve.
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:37 am EWE seems convinced that this is at Guildford, so maybe the Portsmouth CLC rallying cry is for another FotLer. Portsmouth is more Dean Renshaw's habitude. I guess we won't know until the lists are published on Courtserve.
I thought that when I saw Portsmouth. Having checked, the Isle of Wight has a Crown Court in Newport so it could be moved to the mainland for reasons and Portsmouth is nearest. (I think there is one in Southampton too). Or we could have a new customer. Or Dean could have done something on the mainland.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
AnOwlCalledSage

ArthurWankspittle wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:37 am Or Dean could have done something on the mainland.
I believe an incident with Portsmouth Magistrates Court security was mentioned a while back. There is also a Portsmouth based CLC who tried to do a Crawford and resist eviction so it could also be him.

Exciting! I'll have Courtserve on |Refresh| at 4pm onwards!
AnOwlCalledSage

Monday at Guildford.
Court 3 - sitting at 10:00 am
HER HONOUR JUDGE DURRAN
***URGENT UPDATE** - links to CVP now on form 2009 in section X on DCS
For Trial
T20210116 PATERSON John 01EK0377419 CLONM Crown Prosecution Service
T20210117 PATERSON John 01EK0377419 NESXM Crown Prosecution Service
There is a "floater" listed for the same court, so he could very well be pleading guilty.

I think "form 2009" is a typo. "Form 5009" is the case details on DCS.
AnOwlCalledSage

For Trial - Case Started 26/04/2021 10:31
For Trial - Case adjourned until 12:00 26/04/2021 10:43
For Trial - Resume 26/04/2021 12:47
For Trial - Case adjourned until 14:00 26/04/2021 12:59
For Trial - Resume - 14:01

Had a reply from the Crown Court. High Court reporting restrictions remain, but there are no additional ones. I'm not going to go into detail, but I believe that means that Neelu could be in big trouble if she opens her big gob again.

Not sure what happened, but he's not listed for tomorrow and the Judge has a different case.