Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Edward William Ellis, Common Law QC

Post by John Uskglass »

AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

So guilty then! I still think he'll get another suspended sentence. His last was 9 months, which he breached almost immediately, and he wasn't sanctioned.

However, I am slightly sympathetic to the view that any prison sentence will not deter him and he's a seriously ill man. It's probably why the AG has gone for an attempt to extend his GCRO to also reject any cases filed involving his trademark gobbledegook.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

I think these people view a suspended sentence as getting off scot free. A couple of weeks inside might convince him it's real.
SpearGrass
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by SpearGrass »

A couple of weeks inside might convince him it's real.
I don't think delusional disorder works that way. It would just confirm to him how rotten the system is and how right he is to be trying to bring it down.
This is a guy who has to have regular dialysis - the obstacles to keeping him well in prison will be formidable and whatever we think of EWE, what he's done doesn't carry the death penalty.
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

SpearGrass wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:03 pm This is a guy who has to have regular dialysis - the obstacles to keeping him well in prison will be formidable and whatever we think of EWE, what he's done doesn't carry the death penalty.
Pretty accurate. Because of a previous personal life many of my friends/work mates made a career working in the correctional system. An ongoing problem for them, particularly when dealing with offenders in provincial jails and remand centers, was how to handle ageing and infirm prisoners. Not only do they require special treatment programs and facilities which are hard to obtain, they need to be protected from the younger and more violent sort.
https://www.oci-bec.gc.ca/cnt/rpt/oth-a ... c536691331
AnOwlCalledSage

It was a very bad line, but I think the KB listing office said that the judgement has been "passed back down".

No idea what that means.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

SpearGrass wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:03 pmThis is a guy who has to have regular dialysis - the obstacles to keeping him well in prison will be formidable and whatever we think of EWE, what he's done doesn't carry the death penalty.
Without doubting what you say, if there is no will to impose sanctions doesn't it make these proceedings not just pointless but actually counterproductive?
AnOwlCalledSage

aesmith wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:11 pm Without doubting what you say, if there is no will to impose sanctions doesn't it make these proceedings not just pointless but actually counterproductive?
I've posted a comment earlier about what he'd previously posted (I'm not trawling through his garbage on his website to find it again. Life's too short!)

He was complaining that the AG was attempting to increase the conditions on his GCRO so that any third party submitting his gibberish would have their submissions tossed out. I suspect that this is because the judge in a previous contempt hearing ruled that the law regarding disbarred solicitors does not prevent him preparing documents for others.

If the High Court gives him another suspended sentence, they can impose conditions on that sentence. Whilst we are unlikely to see him locked up, it would at least give clerks of the court a legal basis to not accept his nonsense if submitted by others.

I think that this is the substance of going through with this prosecution, even though everyone knows he will break it again in a matter of hours.
John Uskglass

Post by John Uskglass »

everyone knows he will break it again in a matter of hours
He hasn't posted anything on his site since the 16th, so it might just be that the Equity Lawyer Silencing Fraud has been effective.

We shall see.
SpearGrass
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by SpearGrass »

Owl is right - the prize here is stopping him getting his garbage into court.

In contempt (and some other civil sanction cases - commitment to prison for council tax default for example) the object of committal is instrumental - to prevent further breaches by the defendant and as a deterrent to others intending to take the same route. It's not clear that EWE, because of his delusional mind, is deterrable, but others, not suffering from severe kidney failure, would not get the benefit of it, so may be.

Of course we're assuming that the judge doesn't commit him. A judge, like anyone else, can be pushed to the point of saying, enough is enough, let's try the only thing we haven't tried yet, whatever the price.
AnOwlCalledSage

SpearGrass wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:35 pm Of course we're assuming that the judge doesn't commit him. A judge, like anyone else, can be pushed to the point of saying, enough is enough, let's try the only thing we haven't tried yet, whatever the price.
What I find interesting in this case is that it seems to have been precipitated by his interference in a case involving Lee Cant, rather than the numerous other cases we could list, that made the Court of Appeal to refer it to the AG.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

I was surprised there wasn't some action when was interfering with a child protection matter. Does it just depend on whether someone involved in the case can be arsed to report his interference to the AG?
AnOwlCalledSage

aesmith wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:34 pm I was surprised there wasn't some action when was interfering with a child protection matter. Does it just depend on whether someone involved in the case can be arsed to report his interference to the AG?
I suspect the answer is "Yes". I had a reply from the Solicitor's General's office saying that they do not have investigatory powers. The current contempt case was referred to the AG by the Court of Appeal November 2021 as a consequence of this one from July 2021: https://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/format.c ... /1749.html
CrankyBoomer
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by CrankyBoomer »

Is EWE mentally stable? I'm not a medical or nursing professional (or amateur for that matter) but I believe there may be a dearth of places to care for those who have a mental illness. He does appear to be in need of some sort of medical help. But as I say I'm not an expert in medicine.
AnOwlCalledSage

CrankyBoomer wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:08 pm Is EWE mentally stable?
It is always a question mark. I'm a Catholic. Transubstantiation? :thinking: I'm clearly mentally ill by some people's benchmarks. :snicker:

No. I don't believe EWE or Neelu are mentally ill. They are delusional. Not necessarily the same thing. Having false or unrealistic beliefs or opinions does not always denote a mental illness.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Perhaps being brought to an "apartment" in one of His Majesty's Prisons is what's needed. EWE may be using his ailments as "get out of jail free" cards.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
SpearGrass
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by SpearGrass »

I think EWE is probably mentally ill, he seems seriously delusional and incapable of mitigating his behaviour in his own interests. There was an episode a year or so ago which I found quite distressing, he was clearly on his way to dying of kidney failure but was refusing treatment because he had to finish a document which he believed would put him in charge of the country, replacing the prime minister.

Certainly it appears he was sectioned for investigation a while back when he was refusing medical treatment (aka "mental health fraud"). But he won't consent to treatment and if he can look after himself (and clearly he's taking the treatment for his kidney failure now) he doesn't need to take up a valuable place in a mental hospital.

Of course the question about whether anyone is mentally ill (see Thomas Szasz The Myth of Mental Illness) is a philosophical one, but using conventional diagnostic techniques I think he would tick the boxes. Several judges who dealt with him in the noughties certainly thought that, it's in the report of his case against the SRA.

That doesn't absolve him of moral responsibility of course. But he is a sick, mad, old man, who once had a good living and whose delusions have made him a pauper and while some people would rejoice in him going to prison, I doubt there are any on the High Court bench.
AnOwlCalledSage

SpearGrass wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:15 pm But he is a sick, mad, old man, who once had a good living and whose delusions have made him a pauper and while some people would rejoice in him going to prison, I doubt there are any on the High Court bench.
This is my reading. 5 years ago, at the height of Hoaxtead, I'd probably be demanding a pound of flesh too. But circumstances change.

I think they are aiming for watertight conditions to stop him getting around the ruling on filing for others. Imprisoning him would have no deterrence effect whatsoever and whilst, yes, contempt of court is treated seriously a more hard-hearted jurist might suggest that's he's not going to be around for that much longer.

Summarily tossing out his garbage at the filing stage would be in the interests of justice. Porridge, probably not.
longdog

Post by longdog »

I do wonder how much, if any, of his word-salad-fraud nonsense gets anywhere near a court these days.

From looking at his website I get the impression that he's talking a good fight (in his own mind at least) but that's about all. There's quite a few court forms on there but most of them are just .PDFs that have not been filled in anywhere near well enough to be accepted by the courts. The rest is mostly just "Recommendation to Citizen XXXX" and "Advice to The Right Honourable XXXX" and 99% cut and paste from his own library of incomprehensible gibberish.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?